Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Which music forum out there is best?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-11, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As we all know around here Music Talk is a wasteland. I mean it's ok, there's just not a lot going on. That of course is not a jab at the DVDTalk guys in any way; It's just the way things have almost always been around here.

So for those of you who are members of other music forums, which are best?
Old 08-05-11, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Which music forum out there is best?

I'm not a member there but this forum: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 is pretty comprehensive.
Old 08-05-11, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was tempted to join that forum before but the audio elitist snobbery there is a bit of turnoff. Rather actually talk MUSIC not loads of thread about what release sounds better. Don't get me wrong there seems to be actual music discussion threads there but a lot of it just winds into arguments about what release is better anyway.

in olden times I would of said garagepunk forums, I liked that place a lot. Of course there was snobbery there too but it was a fun specialized 60s freak place.
Old 08-06-11, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I like the Steve Hoffman forums quite a bit. If you wanna read stuffy, pompous middle-aged white men losing their shit over any music that came out after 1981, thats your place!! But ive learned a crapload there too as well...
Old 08-06-11, 07:22 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, Steve Hoffman Forums is the best music forum available.
Old 08-06-11, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Yeah, another vote for Steve Hoffman Forum here. It's by far the best music forum I've seen, although if you want ones that are just for one band there are also some good ones like that.
Old 08-06-11, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by statcat
I was tempted to join that forum before but the audio elitist snobbery there is a bit of turnoff. Rather actually talk MUSIC not loads of thread about what release sounds better. Don't get me wrong there seems to be actual music discussion threads there but a lot of it just winds into arguments about what release is better anyway.
I agree wholeheartedly. The album by album threads there are really good reads usually started by someone with a lot of knowledge about the artists. I just have a few beefs about the site

1) As hokeyboy said, if it came out after 1980 or so, it is crap to those guys

2) Every thread turns into a goddamn beatles or monkees (oddly enough) discussion. I have even seen a thread about the cutest musicians on there that turned into a beatles thread. It gives you a lot of beatles fatigue.

3) Most threads aren't really music discussion threads. They turn into a "the vinyl is better than the CD anyway" or "I have a first pressing that sounds great" or "loudness wars" thread. Usually they are dissecting the multiple different CD releases and whether it is a Target disc or a West German pressing or whatnot.

People post frequently on there, which is a plus, but I am surprised if I read more than one thread on each page. Sometimes, I am just looking to hear about music to check out, or see what other people's opinions are about different artists. I don't care to debate where a CD came from and usually, if you wait long enough, people argue so much about which version of a disc is better that you couldn't tell anyway
Old 08-08-11, 02:40 AM

www.audiokarma.org
Steve Hoffman forums
Old 08-08-11, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sound Opinions out of Chicago

http://www.soundopinions.org/forum/i...hp?showforum=2

Drifts into Pitchfork territory.
Old 08-20-11, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'm not a member there but this forum: http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2 is pretty comprehensive.
You must be kidding. I guess if your idea of a good music forum is a bunch of emotionally stunted 50+ year old white guys complaining about any music made after 1978 and not understanding anything remotely technical, then yea, knock yourself out.

That place is a cesspool of morons and retards.

Here's just a sampling:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...d.php?t=260175

From that thread:

You can not play MP3s on an iPod.

Last edited by RicP; 08-20-11 at 09:56 AM.
Old 08-20-11, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

While a lot of what's been said about the Steve Hoffman forums is true, some of what you guys are saying is not, or is at least, exaggerated.

Frequenting the site myself, yes, even I think most of those cats are crazy when they start going on about older, original pressings sounding better than new or remastered CDs.

You're also going to find pompous people posting anywhere you go, but there are plenty of folks there who truly know their shit.

However, there are discussions about modern music, as well, and I've been engaged in plenty of them. And on the flip side - there are people here who think that anything that came out before 1980, or even 1990, is crap, too. *** (Edited)*** Actually, there's a new thread going on there as we speak asking "Should This Forum be Divided Into Different Musical Eras????" - where the overwhelming response so far has been no. The reason why? Most posters saying they like the mix of old & new, and that they often find out about new music that way.

Like many things, you're going to get out of it what you put into it, or are willing to try and find within it. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's the best (I've yet to find that), but it is still a good one.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 08-20-11 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Added thought.
Old 08-20-11, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't frequent many, but I like www.metalsetlists.com. One forum is purely set lists for recent shows, another is good for discussion of upcoming tours/albums. That's good enough for me.
Old 08-20-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't about "MusicTalk" but our "BookTalk" is the best thing going...
Old 08-20-11, 11:31 AM
Cool New Member

I agree with everything said about the Hoffman board. There is way-too-much "Hey, I found a Bulgarian, mono vinyl 45 of Paper Back Writer. How much is it worth?"

But there's also a lot of useful information disseminated and some highly entertaining exchange of views, exchanges that largely stay on the right side of "I disagree with you-you're a poopy head" line.

And there are fans of everybody. Start a thread on Debbie Gibson or the Ozark Mountain Daredevils or Lennie Tristano or whoever and dozens of posters will jump in with how the subject of the thread is the most overlooked artist of all time and hey, have you heard the Bulgarian mono reissue series?

And yes, it's boomer dominated but being a boomer, it's a flaw I can live with.

So, a guilty pleasure perhaps but one that absorbs an inordinate amount of my discretionary time.
Old 08-20-11, 12:18 PM

One i like http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/
Old 08-20-11, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RicP
You must be kidding. I guess if your idea of a good music forum is a bunch of emotionally stunted 50+ year old white guys complaining about any music made after 1978 and not understanding anything remotely technical, then yea, knock yourself out.

Here's just a sampling:

From that thread:
Chill out dude cripes. I never said it was the best I said it was pretty comprehensive. It does have some good information even though all the members there aren't the best.
Old 08-20-11, 02:43 PM
Cool New Member

Here's just a sampling:

From that thread:
The irony of this post just defies further comment.
Old 08-20-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's just a sampling:

From that thread:

The next 2 posts in that thread:

No one told my iPod apparently...it is full of them!

I may have the terminology wrong. Sorry.

Those lousy fuckers, admitting a mistake.
Old 08-21-11, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by jimsumner
The irony of this post just defies further comment.
I guess you don't understand the word. Not surprising.
Old 08-21-11, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by arminius

The next 2 posts in that thread:

No one told my iPod apparently...it is full of them!

I may have the terminology wrong. Sorry.

Those lousy fuckers, admitting a mistake.
Clearly your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired. The person I quoted is not the same as the person you quoted. Therefore no mistake was admitted.

You'd fit right in over there.
Old 08-21-11, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whatever the good or bad qualities the SH forums possess, you have to admit they stir people up. No other music discussion site has ever inspired a separate site dedicated to ridiculing its members and host. Plus it's where you can get top dollar for shitty target CDs, most of which have about as much high end as a mastodon fart.
Old 08-21-11, 03:28 PM
Cool New Member

I guess you don't understand the word. Not surprising.
Well, let's see. You used a profoundly offensive word to describe a large group of people you've never met. Your use of the word can be explained in either of two ways. You're either oblivious or you simply don't care to adhere to the social norms of civilized discourse.

In other words, you either don't know or you don't care. Neither of which puts you in an enviable position to be calling names.

Hence, the irony.
Old 08-21-11, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clearly your reading comprehension leaves something to be desired. The person I quoted is not the same as the person you quoted. Therefore no mistake was admitted.

You'd fit right in over there.
My point was that he was corrected by other posts. You made it seem that the forum was a bunch of idiots when the mistake was imme...wait, why am I explaining to someone with a less than full wit.
Old 08-21-11, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

As someone who posted in that thread at SHF... I can tell you firsthand you can't take that one ignorant post as proof positive the entire forum is populated by idiots. He was corrected almost immediately by a multitude of posters.

Doesn't change the impression/reality that the forum is populated by emotionally-stunted Boomers who froth at the mouth at the very mention of Lady Gaga, who wouldn't know a hi-rez FLAC from a 128bps MP3, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Old 08-21-11, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I personally think it's an okay forum. Sure there are some posters who seem to have their heads up their asses but some of them are okay. I will admit it does seem geared more towards classic rock but I guess it doesn't really bother me since I'm more interested in that type of music than a lot of current stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.