Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Young Indiana Jones questions (mainly about editing)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 08-04-11, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

So I decided to watch a few episodes of this today on Netflix. I saw the first episode and...what the fuck? The first half is Indy in Egypt, but then the plotline is left unresolved...and we cut to Indy going to Tangiers, and he seems to have aged 2 years (and I'm not talking about switching to the older actor).

I saw another episode that was pretty much resolved, but the next scene seemed like it was part of the first half. But it was actually part of the second half. No transition whatsoever.

So what I'm wondering is...is this what the whole "re-edited features" are like? Some of them without resolved plotlines, and others just jumbled together? This seems to be a mess, but the stories themselves are great.

Also as a general question, do these stories have supernatural elements like the movies, or are they more realistic?
Old 08-04-11, 10:45 AM

Received 1,889 Likes on 1,115 Posts
Re: Young Indiana Jones questions (mainly about editing)

Long story short, and with a few holes here and there...

The show originally aired with episodes paired up the way Lucas wanted them thematically, sometimes with a 9-year-old Indy ep coupled with a 16-year-old Indy ep. The Egypt 9-year-old Indy was paired with the episode when 16-year-old Indy rides with Pancho Vila and runs into the same bad guy. They did this sort of thing the first few years of the show during original airing.

For the home video release (maybe when it moved to ABC Family, too, I don't know), they put the episodes together chronologically, shot some new bridge scenes (particularly noticeable for the 9-year-old Indy actor getting older and becoming an early teen) That's why, even though the Egypt ep and the Tangiers ep don't really tie in together, thematically or storyline-wise, they happen back to back chronologically and are now together.

That's a clunky explanation. You'll get more out of the full story at the best Indiana Jones fansite out there, http://www.theraider.net.

Just started my wife watching these with me and she digs them so far. She was an anthropology major and is fascinated by the well-done DVD documentaries. Lucas really went all out in making the show educational and the DVDs really educational (must tie into his educational foundation passion).