Old 07-29-11, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Haven -- "Love Machine" -- 7/29/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-07-29

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
The town's docks start attacking people while the other Audrey Parker probes Audrey's identity crisis.

Episode 3 of 13

A little preview of season with some interviews from the cast:

<object width="400" height="400" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://widget.syfy.com/singleclip/singleclip_v1.swf?CXNID=1000004.10035NXC&WID=48e10f5e9dbb50aa&clipID=1343079"/><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><embed src="http://widget.syfy.com/singleclip/singleclip_v1.swf?CXNID=1000004.10035NXC&WID=48e10f5e9dbb50aa&clipID=1343079" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="400" height="400" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>
Old 07-29-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Haven -- "Love Machine" -- 7/29/11

Ok, why did none of the appliances have a Green Goblin face on them?
Old 07-30-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was a pretty shocking sudden exit for Audrey II. I didn't expect it this soon. at Nathan being so casual about having nails stuck in his back. I guess he's accepted his affliction now.

This has turned into a really fascinating little show. Too bad so many people gave up on it.

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Ok, why did none of the appliances have a Green Goblin face on them?
I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have some green goblin lurking around the background somewhere.
Old 07-30-11, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
That was a pretty shocking sudden exit for Audrey II. I didn't expect it this soon.
It seems like the only purpose for Audrey II is to reveal that Audrey I isn't really an Audrey I liked her and it would have been great if she joined the cast permanently.

So Audrey and Nathan escape the explosion and the van next to them starts up .... A mother and child casually walk to the van and get in, completely ignoring the fact that an explosion happened 100ft away??? Did I fall asleep and miss a scene?
Old 07-31-11, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
That was a pretty shocking sudden exit for Audrey II. I didn't expect it this soon. at Nathan being so casual about having nails stuck in his back. I guess he's accepted his affliction now.

This has turned into a really fascinating little show. Too bad so many people gave up on it.
Haven must have gotten new writers or a change in showrunner, because the second season so far almost seems like a different and better show, just with the same characters. The writing and even acting has drastically improved over the early episodes from last year.

I had given up on the show around episode 6 or 7 last season, because up until then it had only showed more of the typical Syfy episodic formula that has grown so dull. But giving it another chance to start season two, Haven is actually a compelling watch now. I still think the producers have only a vague idea of the background mythology and are making it up as they go along, but at least it seems to be moving in a general direction with the revelations about Audrey.
Old 07-31-11, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Yeah I was really surprised at Audrey II's exit. Now I wonder what the hell was behind that door that contributed to her memory loss? I really liked her and the bond she was forming with Audrey I. The little moment they had together in the police station after Duke found her was IMO quite poignant.

I also got a kick out of Nathan being so casual with all those nails stuck in his back.

Emily Rose has really grown in this role. Inititally I didn't like her when the show started, but I knew she needed time to grow into this character. She has a girl next door appeal and I think she's actually becoming a solid lead actress. I'm not sure the writers really know where the Colorado Kid/Lucy Ripley arc is going, but I'm intrigued they at least have a long running arc in addition to the mysteries of the week.

There was actually some brutal kills in this episode. The motor slicing the guys head was pretty violent.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-31-11 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-31-11, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Haven must have gotten new writers or a change in showrunner, because the second season so far almost seems like a different and better show, just with the same characters. The writing and even acting has drastically improved over the early episodes from last year.

I had given up on the show around episode 6 or 7 last season, because up until then it had only showed more of the typical Syfy episodic formula that has grown so dull. But giving it another chance to start season two, Haven is actually a compelling watch now. I still think the producers have only a vague idea of the background mythology and are making it up as they go along, but at least it seems to be moving in a general direction with the revelations about Audrey.
I think you should go back and re-visit the 2nd half of last season. I was ho-hum on the show last season and fell way behind. But, I found the desire to finish out the season and I was extremely pleased with it. I have to agree the 1st half of last season was kind of dull and formulaic (I think that was probably the time when most of the people here who tried the show lost patience with it), but the 2nd half was a home run. I think they really found their groove writing-wise and there was some great 2nd half episodes, especially the 1st season finale.
Old 07-31-11, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When they kept calling her Audrey II I kept hoping for some Little Shop of Horrors reference.
Old 08-01-11, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I think introducing Audrey II was merely a way to blow up everything we supposedly knew about Audrey's background. That FBI agent story for her was becoming a hindrance to the show's development. A smart move to try and separate Haven out of the standard mold.
Old 08-01-11, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You almost have to believe that what Audrey II saw somehow ties back to Lucy that they aren't ready to reveal just yet, or ever.
Old 08-06-11, 01:51 AM

Does anyone know who is singing the elton John song at the end of the episode. Thanks
Old 08-06-11, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Joseph66
Does anyone know who is singing the elton John song at the end of the episode. Thanks
<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/D9AFMVMl9qE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ellie Goulding
Old 08-06-11, 02:47 AM

Thanks for the reply