Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Brand new Philips 32" TV makes faint humming noise, is this normal?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Brand new Philips 32" TV makes faint humming noise, is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-00, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It isn't very loud, but it's kind of annoying. Is it normal for larger TV's (or maybe just Philips TV's) to make a faint noise, or could there be a problem with my set? Thanks
Old 09-27-00, 11:08 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by vivarey:
It isn't very loud, but it's kind of annoying. Is it normal for larger TV's (or maybe just Philips TV's) to make a faint noise, or could there be a problem with my set? Thanks<HR>

I've always found that direct view TV's put out a very high frequency hum when they are on, but I'm not sure if this is the same hum you are talking about. The hum I usually hear sounds like it is right on the edge of the audible frequencies.
Old 09-27-00, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This could be the same high pitch sound you're talking about. It's not loud at all, and it is usually drowned out by my other equipment most of the time. I previously had a 19", and didn't notice this problem, although maybe I just mentally blocked it out over the years.

Would having a little fridge next to the TV, and plugged into the same power strip, have anything to do with this noise? I don't see any problems with the picture.

Dominus, when you say "direct view TV", do you mean regular 4:3 sets?

This is probably a normal thing, but since it's new I thought I would see what you guys thought.
Old 09-27-00, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Direct View is any set with a picture tube. Basically all sets up to 36" 16:9 or 4:3. I think they should start making 40"'s again. Those things are heavy, but the extra 4" makes a BIG difference.
Old 09-28-00, 02:46 PM

FWIW, I too have a 32" Phillips and I get the same hum. I can only hear it when just the TV is on with no volume. When I am watching a movie I can't hear it. But it is still annoying as I still know it is there.
Old 09-28-00, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i know what you mean wrath, hopefully i will push it into my subconscience soon.
Old 09-29-00, 09:08 AM

My 32" Sony has a hum that comes out of the speakers. If listening at low volume, like when my wife is sleeping, I notice it. Otherwise I don't. It's still annoying, and is the only flaw I've noticed in an otherwise excellent tv.

If I go into setup and turn off the speakers, the hum goes away. It's not practical to always do that, though. The hum also goes away if I mute it.
Old 09-30-00, 04:10 AM

That is normal with all tube tvs. Ever since I've been small I could always tell a tv was turned on from outside of a room by hearing the hum. I always found it weird that no one else could ever hear it.

My mommy tells me, I'M SPECIAL!
Old 09-30-00, 05:42 AM

I purchased a 26 inch Philips set earlier this year and i noticed the same sound as well. Had a sevice guy out to look at it and told me it had a faulty yoke on the rear of the tube. Watched him pull the set apart and replace it and now it's fine. Could be a same problem.
Old 09-30-00, 03:31 PM

dfcc, I'm special too....just j/k, but seriously, I've always been able to tell when a TV was on/off when entering our apartment (even before opening the door), a room, etc...exactly what you described...it's like I can sense it, a faint, high-pitched noise makes me do it!!!!! :-) And no one else hears it...weird, heh? Gotta call Scully and begin a full scale investigation on this...