Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Farscape on blu-ray

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Farscape on blu-ray

Old 07-23-11, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Farscape on blu-ray

Note that there is no question mark in the thread title.

Coming from A&E on November 15. Available in four season sets ($69.95 each MSRP) or the complete series ($199.95 MSRP). Up for pre-order at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005CXOG8M/
Old 07-23-11, 12:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Farscape on blu-ray

and to think I almost (almost) bough the complete series on DVD, talk about good timing regarding the bluray news.
Old 07-23-11, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silly question since I only ever saw it on DVD after it was dead; was it filmed in HD or is this going to be a "Firefly" type upconvert?
Old 07-23-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Every scene without VFX in Firefly is true, honest-to-God HD. 'Course, there are a lot of VFX.

It'll either be another Firefly situation, they'll be completely upconverted, or maybe they won't be in HD at all.

The series was filmed on 35mm, which is far superior to HD, said Henson, but the visual effects were created for a standard-definition format, and when looking at the costs of re-creating the visual effects in HD, it would have been in the millions of dollars. Per season. Understandable for a series that holds the Guinness world record for the most digital effects in a TV series.

Unfortunately, there was yet another cost that would kill the possibility of Farscape appearing in high-definition. At the end of each season, the original camera negatives were archived, which according to Henson left “a gymnasium of footage” that was particularly costly to store due to the volatility of the film itself. And so, I assume, the original 35mm prints of Farscape have been scrapped.
Old 07-23-11, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Bah! I bought A&E's Complete Series on DVD on release.

Should have waited
Old 07-23-11, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno... I'm a huge fan of the show, but it's a Buffy/ST:TNG situation. Not really compelling for me.
Old 07-23-11, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm personally not a fan of the show (just never got into it), however I know people that are, and they'll be glad to be able to grab this...
Old 07-23-11, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

Surprised by this news and still have my complete set unopened. Not feeling a need to upgrade.
Old 07-23-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

When the inevitable heavy discount hits, I'll be on this like flies on dren.

Added bonus: I'll gain a ton of shelf space by retiring my original double-case ADV sets.
Old 07-24-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Fielding Mellish
When the inevitable heavy discount hits, I'll be on this like flies on dren.

Added bonus: I'll gain a ton of shelf space by retiring my original double-case ADV sets.
This.
Old 07-25-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Surprised by this news and still have my complete set unopened. Not feeling a need to upgrade.
Yeah, this exactly. Although if I can unload the DVD for more than the $50 I spent, I may reconsider...
Old 07-25-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Will there be more special features?
Old 07-25-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Maybe this will inspire me to pick up some of the used DVDs I'll be seeing soon and give this show a second chance. Don't know why it never clicked with me.
Old 11-19-11, 08:16 PM

Reviving this thread. The Blu-ray actually looks pretty good considering the source they had to work with to create a high definition master.
Old 12-14-11, 09:51 AM
Dar

Meh. I paid $59 for my set back in 2009. That was with the peacekeeper wars. I hear the Bluray isnt that much an improvement over video quality. I dont even have a bluray player yet and i am sure my standards will look great going through a BR player. Completely content with my Standard set. The Br set is just under a hundred bucks right now. If it went to $40 or less I may consider getting it out of curiosity. Without the PCW mini its not worth much more than that IMO.
Old 12-14-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Dar
Meh. I paid $59 for my set back in 2009. That was with the peacekeeper wars. I hear the Bluray isnt that much an improvement over video quality. I dont even have a bluray player yet and i am sure my standards will look great going through a BR player. Completely content with my Standard set. The Br set is just under a hundred bucks right now. If it went to $40 or less I may consider getting it out of curiosity. Without the PCW mini its not worth much more than that IMO.
My thoughts exactly. I did get to watch an episode from season 2 at my friends house on blu-ray and to tell you the truth I couldn't see that much difference in the picture quality, it looked a little sharper and the colors did pop more than I remember, but not nearly enough to invest another $120+
Old 12-21-11, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by critterdvd
My thoughts exactly. I did get to watch an episode from season 2 at my friends house on blu-ray and to tell you the truth I couldn't see that much difference in the picture quality, it looked a little sharper and the colors did pop more than I remember, but not nearly enough to invest another $120+
It's not a big update from the "Starburst Editions" in video quality -- but the video *is* superior to the most recent "complete series" DVD box set which exhibited quite a few compression artifacts.

But the biggest update is in the audio quality. The audio blows the DVD iterations out of the water. And if you were still holding on to the "Starburst Editions" you can now finally retire that 12 box set and save gobs of shelf space.
Old 03-11-12, 07:53 PM

Any word on whether the studio that owns Peacekeeper Wars is going to release that mini-series on blu? I seem to recall seeing something about it someplace but I am unable to find it again.