Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes Mini (Begins October 2011)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Just what it says: IDW and DC Comics are uniting to publish a six-issue crossover mini-series combining Star Trek with Legion of Super-Heroes. From StarTrek.com:

It’s the crossover of crossovers, with heroes of the 23rd century teaming up with superheroes of the 30th century. It’s IDW Publishing’s first-ever crossover with the DC Universe. It is… Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes, a six-issue monthly series that will launch in October.

Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes finds the original crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise beaming down to a planet, only to realize that they’re not only not on the right planet, but that they’re in an entirely different universe. Meanwhile, a band of “Great Darkness Saga” Legionnaires in a time sphere is thrust into the 23rd century, though it’s not what they’re expecting, either. Among the enemies at hand: the Klingons, Khunds and The Borg, as well as the Imperial Planets of Terra.

The talents bringing Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes to life include Chris Ryall, lead editor and IDW Chief Creative Officer, writer Chris Roberson and artists Jeffrey and Philip Moy. Phil Jimenez will handle all of the covers, with each issue featuring variant covers from, among others, classic Legion of Superheroes artists Steve Lightle, Mike Grell and Keith Giffen, as well as Gabriel Rodriguez.

“Nothing like kicking off our first foray into the DC Universe with a story that spans dimensions and centuries,” Chris Ryall said in a statement. “As a huge fan of both of these teams and the eras we’re playing with here, as well as an admirer of the talents involved with this tale, I couldn’t be happier.”

Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes #1 will run 32 pages, cost $3.99 and be available at comic retail stores. For additional details, contact your local comic book retailer or visit www.comicshoplocator.com to find a store near you. And keep an eye on StarTrek.com for further news about Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes.
Immediate fan reaction to Star Trek's Facebook post was almost entirely negative, but I confess this actually interests me. If it was one of the other Trek series, I'd be more resistant, but I think the nature and tone of the original series allows for this kind of thing from time to time. I liked the Star Trek/X-Men one-shot Marvel did in '96 (I was only so-so about the follow-up with The Next Generation). And, I suppose this should be encouraging for LSH fans who were afraid their favorite team would be ignored after the forthcoming DC relaunch.
Old 07-22-11, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Re: Star Trek/Legion of Super-Heroes Mini (Begins October 2011)

This is kind of blowing my mind
Old 07-22-11, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I geeked when I read the news.
Old 07-23-11, 11:22 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm pretty stoked for this. And it's nice to see the Moy brothers drawing the Legion again!
Old 07-24-11, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
And it's nice to see the Moy brothers drawing the Legion again!
Exactly! That's what excited me more than anything else, even with as much as I love Phil Jimenez, Chris Roberson, Keith Giffen, Mike Grell, and Steve Lightle too. I'm not even a Star Trek fan, but just as a lifelong Legion nut, this is a must-have.