Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014; D: The Russo Brothers)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

The first Captain America movie will take place during WWII in the 1940's. In 2012, The Avengers movie coming out in 2012 will take place in present day and will also feature Captain America. Most likely the first movie will show him getting frozen and setting him up to be in the present day for the Avengers movie. So the first movie would start with his origin and end at the end of WWII.

If they do another Captain America movie it will come out after the Avengers movie is released in 2012. What time period do you think Captain America will be in if they make a sequel to Captain America: First Avenger?

If the sequel takes place present day it will be very different in tone from the first movie. If it takes place during WWII it would be somehow take place inbetween sceenes in the first movie.
Old 07-19-11, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014; D: The Russo Brothers)

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Frozen? Not likely. The Serum also drastically reduces aging. Don't forget Rogers is VERY young when he tries to volunteer.
If it stays true to the comic version, he would be frozen or put into some kind of suspended animation for decades after WWII. CA was always presented as a hero with old fashioned values and a man somewhat out of place in the present day. If he lived through the 50's until present day he would be a more experienced and not as out of place in the present day.
Old 07-19-11, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Frozen? Not likely. The Serum also drastically reduces aging. Don't forget Rogers is VERY young when he tries to volunteer.
I'm willing to bet it'll follow the comics and it'll happen that way. If not that, some sort of suspended animation. He's not just going to stick around the entire time between WW2 and the timeframe the Avengers is in. That doesn't make any sense at all regarding his origin.
Old 07-19-11, 10:55 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think it's obvious from one of tv spots that he's frozen.
Old 07-19-11, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Creators have said that they are open to either idea, but would most likely include both. I'd bet money on Cap & Bucky film as the next logical step. In the comics they heavily blended flashbacks inside a modern story.
Old 07-19-11, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

The next film will be The Invaders movie.
Old 07-19-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
i think it's obvious from one of tv spots that he's frozen.
...and from the cut scene from the Hulk movie.
Old 07-19-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Lets just go straight to the source:

Joe Johnston Wants to Make Films Featuring Marvel’s Winter Soldier and Boba Fett

Posted on Monday, July 18th, 2011 by Russ Fischer

Joe Johnston‘s Captain America: The First Avenger, hitting theaters this coming week, has great early buzz and sequel talk is heating up. Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely are starting to map out the script for the follow-up, though they’re being understandably circumspect about the possible plot and characters. Will the sequel be set in WWII, the modern era, or both? And will Joe Johnston direct?

The director is signed for two films with Marvel, and as he promotes Captain America he is already talking about other films he’d like to make. One is the continuing story of Cap sidekick ‘Bucky’ Barnes (played by Sebastian Stan), who becomes the Winter Solider in his later days. The other is a bit of a surprise, and very likely a total longshot: a film dedicated to fan-favorite Star Wars bounty hunter Boba Fett.

Let’s hit the Winter Solider first. For decades, Bucky was seen as the traditional kid sidekick — the happy go lucky youngster who fought alongside Cap despite the evident disparity between their abilities. The character was killed in the same event that led to Cap being frozen, and for years was considered one of the few characters in comics that would stay dead. Ed Brubaker changed that when he took over Captain America in 2005, and his reinvention of Bucky was inspired.

In the Ed Brubaker version, Bucky was an orphaned kid who lived on the military base where Steve Rogers trained for the Super Soldier program. He was a great, vicious fighter, and only a few years younger than Steve Rogers. Bucky ended up being the wetworks guy for Cap’s team — the pointman who could take out enemies with extreme prejudice. As Cap, Steve Rogers wore the flag and busted heads, but Bucky was instrumental in getting the job done. His death wasn’t quite what it appeared to be, however, as his body was recovered by a Russian military team and eventually turned into a secret Soviet agent who could pass as an American and take out elusive targets: the Winter Solider.

Speaking about the possibility of using the character on screen, Joe Johnston told ScreenRant,

I told the Marvel guys that there is a character that I’m really interested in called ‘The Winter Soldier’ and that if, ‘you guys decide to make that picture I would definitely be interested.’ It’s the ‘Bucky’ Barnes story… We talked about ‘The Winter Soldier’ which is the continuation of what his story is. It’s basically that he is captured by the Russians and he’s brainwashed and turned into an assassin. But you know there are a thousand ways to go with that. I just think that it would be interesting to take a character that was in ‘Captain America’ and build a story around him. Plus, I like Sebastian Stan a lot (who played Bucky) I think he would be an interesting actor to build another feature around.

Would this be a Captain America sequel, or a separate movie altogether? The core Winter Solider story really needs Cap to work — we need to see Cap’s anguish at the idea that his former partner has become a twisted thing. The Ed Brubaker storyline flips back and forth between WWII and the modern day, and that could go along with the sequel ideas being developed right now. Stephen McFeely just talked timeline options with The Playlist:

When we sit down with Marvel every couple weeks, that’s what we talk about. Is it all present day? Is there a flashback structure? Is that what people want to see? I think there’s a great way to do both and to make sure that you’re not taking away from the story itself. But I think there’s value to it. I mean, that’s what separated Cap from all the other comic book heroes. The things that have affected him in the past sometimes crop up in the present, whether that’s emotionally, whether that’s an actual villain or a MacGuffin or whatever.

That last sentence is the key one. If the Winter Soldier story is adapted, it would have to flip back and forth between eras to hit all the emotional and action-oriented highlights. No assumptions yet, though, as we don’t know if Marvel wants to go in that direction.
http://www.slashfilm.com/captain-ame...ba-fett-movie/
Old 07-19-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's obvious that CA was cloned in the 1940s... Ironically, his clone - Ben Riely - takes Steve's place for the rest of WWII, while Steve himself is frozen "in a just in case the commies take over he world scenario." He is locked away in a huge US storage facility next to the Arc of the Covenant, only to be forgoten about until Nick Fury realizes he needs a leader for his team of superheroes he wants to call The Ultimates.
Old 07-19-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say have an IMAX Arctic movie where we just see frozen Cap and all the beauty of nature all around him.
Old 07-19-11, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mrhan
...and from the cut scene from the Hulk movie.
you mean deleted alternate opening? In that case yes..but it's not canon. I wish it was cuz it would've been a solid way to start the movie. Alas...Marvel didn't do the Norton Cut...a lot of stuff there that was nice.
Old 07-19-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait...he wants to make a Boba Fett movie? Well, he does have the experience with the Rocketeer...
Old 07-19-11, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazje
Wait...he wants to make a Boba Fett movie? Well, he does have the experience with the Rocketeer...
I would approve of this.
Old 07-19-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Chris Evans is signed up for three Captain America films and three Avengers films.

Hope everyone likes Captain America.
Old 07-20-11, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to get too much off topic, but I'd love to see a live action Star Wars film that is a separate story like Boba Fett.
Old 07-20-11, 02:06 AM
Banned

I would really like to see Wolverine in a Captain America movie. I don't know if it was like this in the comics, but in the 90s X-Men cartoon series there was an episode during WWII that had Wolverine and Captain America fighting together. I'd love to see a live action version of that.
Old 07-20-11, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
I would really like to see Wolverine in a Captain America movie. I don't know if it was like this in the comics, but in the 90s X-Men cartoon series there was an episode during WWII that had Wolverine and Captain America fighting together. I'd love to see a live action version of that.
If FOX ever lets the rights revert back to Disney/Marvel... maybe. Until then, I wouldn't hold your breath.
Old 07-20-11, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, they met up in the comics as well. Even in the new Avengers animated show they tossed in a sly shot of Wolvie in a Cap flashback.
Old 07-20-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Yep, they met up in the comics as well. Even in the new Avengers animated show they tossed in a sly shot of Wolvie in a Cap flashback.

Madripoor 1941: A fledgling Captain America comes to the aid of a Russian, who is being attacked by Hand Ninjas. Both of the men are rescued by the help of a newcomer who makes the island his home and hates the Hand – Logan.
Old 07-20-11, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

A.I.M., Modok and the cosmic cube
Old 07-20-11, 03:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rw2516
A.I.M., Modok and the cosmic cube
uhm... the cube is in the first avenger....there promo pics of it with schmidt
Old 10-17-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Walts Ghost
Neal McDonough Talks Captain America Sequel And Potential Nick Fury Movie!

On how 'Dum Dum Dugan' could end up in near-present day in a Nick Fury movie...
"In the origin with Dum Dum, he got a small portion of the super serum himself and he was actually the head of S.H.E.I.L.D. until four or five years ago. So he aged really slowly. He aged quicker than Nick and quicker than Steve Rogers did but he aged quite slowly. He was chronologically frozen him self for ten years. So there are all kinds of stuff that I’ve read in the comic books but who knows how they’re going to do it. I know they are going to go back to WWII in Cap 2. You know in flashbacks but past that I’m not sure. Also what would make me happier than a pig in poop would be to be part of and see Sam Jackson as a ‘60s or ‘70s version of Nick Fury. That would just be awesome. Hopefully we’ll get that one done soon. I know Sam is very excited about it."

On whether there was talk for him to appear in The Avengers...
"No, with The Avengers I think they wanted to go with the core characters first and I have no problem with that. Just to be part of the Marvel universe at all is such a blessing. It’s been fantastic. If I do ten more of these or one more of these, I’ve already been part of Captain America and that’s like a dream come true."

On Marvel Studios' direction for the Captain America sequel...
"Yeah the talk now is that they are going to flashback to WWII and without going to much into, because I’m not supposed to say too much at all, but whatever they do I guarantee you this … it’s going to be an awesome movie. The villain is going to be crazy, and it will be really terrific. The origin of Cap being in WWII is definitely paramount to the guys over at Marvel."
Sounds good to me.
Now if only they'd actually say his name this time around.
Old 10-17-11, 02:24 PM
Banned

nice...
Old 10-17-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fury with 70's fro.
Old 10-18-11, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Someone asked about this at the NYCC Marvel panel, but Kevin Feige said it aint going to happen in the next film

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.