Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Evil Dead 2 (25th Anniversary SE) -- 11/15/11

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From Deadites.net:
Apparently there is a 25th anniversary edition of Evil Dead 2 in the works. Last week on Rue Morgue Radio Show, Michael Felsher from Red Shirt Pictures, a media company that has produced most of the extras you find on most horror DVD and Blu-ray releases, dropped a huge bomb that they are working extras including a documentary. They even posted some shots on their Facebook page showing Bruce Campbell and Mark Shostrom! Since Lionsgate acquired the rights to Evil Dead 2, it’s definitely coming. It’s just a matter of when. If you’re interested you can download the archived radio show here.
Welcome news - the AB disc looks terrible.
Old 07-16-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
re: Evil Dead 2 (25th Anniversary SE) -- 11/15/11

I had no idea lionsgate got the rights to ED2. Did they aquire ED1 too?
Old 07-16-11, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was holding off getting ED2....didn't know LG got it. I'd hope that the commentary would come over as well?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 07-16-11 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-16-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

And so it begins...
Old 07-16-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Xgage begins to find a new spot in for the addition to his ever growing "family".
Old 07-16-11, 12:42 PM
Banned

god...xage and fucking ED.
Old 07-16-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear Lionsgate: I'm sure this is a sentiment you could guess from Anchor Bay's long and varied history wit this title, but if you are going to attempt to create a new disc for Evil Dead II, or either of the other movies, please do me a favor and be definitive, so that I can make this the last copy of Evil Dead II I have to buy.
Old 07-16-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anchor Bay owns the rights to their DVD-era supplements (the commentary was from the Elite laserdisc) so Lionsgate probably couldn't release a definitive release if they tried. The stuff they're making is probably to replace Anchor Bay's stuff that they don't have access to.

But yeah, its funny to look at this thread and see ignorant statements like "and so it begins" as if there's some sort of evil deity who forced the rights to the movie to change hands thus requiring a different studio to release something when the old studio can't.

The same thing happened when the first film was announced on Blu. People acted like it was some outrageous multi-dip even though there was a perfectly good reason behind it: it was the film's HD debut.

Anchor Bay milked the hell out of this series in the DVD era but that really has nothing to do with releasing the first film in an HD format and a completely different studio re-releasing the second for legal reasons.

Furthermore, Anchor Bay's "Evil Dead II" disc is a DNR travesty and anyone who actually cares about the presentation of the films they watch should at the very least see this as an opportunity to get the film released right in HD for the first time.

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
I had no idea lionsgate got the rights to ED2. Did they aquire ED1 too?
Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert own the rights to the first film outright. It'll be released on home video by whoever they license it to. "Evil Dead II" is owned by StudioCanal so it was only a matter of time before Lionsgate took it over.
Old 07-16-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Anchor Bay owns the rights to their DVD-era supplements (the commentary was from the Elite laserdisc) so Lionsgate probably couldn't release a definitive release if they tried. The stuff they're making is probably to replace Anchor Bay's stuff that they don't have access to.

But yeah, its funny to look at this thread and see ignorant statements like "and so it begins" as if there's some sort of evil deity who forced the rights to the movie to change hands thus requiring a different studio to release something when the old studio can't.

The same thing happened when the first film was announced on Blu. People acted like it was some outrageous multi-dip even though there was a perfectly good reason behind it: it was the film's HD debut.

Anchor Bay milked the hell out of this series in the DVD era but that really has nothing to do with releasing the first film in an HD format and a completely different studio re-releasing the second for legal reasons.

Furthermore, Anchor Bay's "Evil Dead II" disc is a DNR travesty and anyone who actually cares about the presentation of the films they watch should at the very least see this as an opportunity to get the film released right in HD for the first time.

Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert own the rights to the first film outright. It'll be released on home video by whoever they license it to. "Evil Dead II" is owned by StudioCanal so it was only a matter of time before Lionsgate took it over.
Settle down dude. I get why they're releasing it. And as long as they don't blow it like AB did I'll buy it (again). Its pretty much how every ED series release will be looked at since Anchor Bay started with their double, triple, and so on dipping to these films that every time one gets announced it will be coupled with eye rolling and statements like "here we go again" or as I said "and so it begins". It was made as a joke.
Old 07-16-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
if you are going to attempt to create a new disc for Evil Dead II, or either of the other movies, please do me a favor and be definitive, so that I can make this the last copy of Evil Dead II I have to buy.
^
This

Though I've only bought the film twice, I'd rather not keep going after this.
Old 07-16-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't feel like DNR is what plagues Anchor Bay's Evil Dead II. It just feels like a limited transfer, like 720p or something. It looks very digital, with lots of jagged edges and whatnot.

I should've expected them to double dip it...I kind of regret getting my Blu autographed by Bruce, Ted Raimi and Danny Hicks when I could've gotten the "Book of the Dead" signed by Ted and Danny instead (already signed by Bruce) and had Bruce autograph Running Time.
Old 07-16-11, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Dear Lionsgate: I'm sure this is a sentiment you could guess from Anchor Bay's long and varied history wit this title, but if you are going to attempt to create a new disc for Evil Dead II, or either of the other movies, please do me a favor and be definitive, so that I can make this the last copy of Evil Dead II I have to buy.
Well now you're just being silly!
Old 07-16-11, 03:36 PM

I'm in. Again (and again, and again, and again).
Old 07-16-11, 04:05 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Meh. I'm not playing the double-dip game with this franchise.
Old 07-16-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Dear Lionsgate,

I appreciate you making an Evil Dead II release. However, this time...please don't put so many fucking goddamn security stickers on every side of the case, resulting in a wonderful sticky crappy mess all over my living room floor.

Best Regards,

DVD P.
Old 07-16-11, 04:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Guru Askew

....someone didn't get the joke, eh?
Old 07-16-11, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fuck it. I've bought all the previous releases, why stop now? At least with LG putting it out it'll be cheap.
Old 07-16-11, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
At least with LG putting it out it'll be cheap.
Exactly - as with Mimic, I'm hoping this will hit $6.99 on Amazon at some point like a few of the other LG titles have.
Old 07-16-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm actually happy about this. I skipped the first release due to the piece of shit transfer, so hopefully this one will get it right.
Old 07-16-11, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Michael Felsher is apart of this release? Lionsgate made an amazing call on that one.

Yeah, if you don't think this will be the ultimate release, you're out of your fucking mind. Michael Felsher will out do the work he did on the original Special Edition DVD. As of now, the existing extras are pointless if his output on this matches his recent output.
Old 07-17-11, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Eh, hopefully it'll be better than the last one.
Old 07-17-11, 05:45 AM
Suspended

Hope they give it a good cover. I dont mind having to rebuy it again. Just make it worth while.
Old 07-17-11, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Evil ASh
I'm in. Again (and again, and again, and again).
I'm in too, as long as the inevitably leaked screenshots and reviews make this sound like it's actually an upgrade over the previous release in terms of picture quality.
Old 07-17-11, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Dear Lionsgate,

Leave off most of the special features, give it a green tint, release it 1080i and pretty please have George Lucas have some part in it so DVDTalkers can gripe about the obvious instead of having to look for something to bitch about.

Thanks,
Old 07-18-11, 10:13 AM

Great news! I hope Dawn and Day will be revisited by someone somewhere sometime soon too because Dawn of the Dead's blu ray transfer is an awful disgrace (so much so that I've avoided Day and Evil Dead II because from all accounts they seem to exhibit the same limitations).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.