Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Glee Season 3 news, notes and hype thread (spoilers obviously)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 07-14-11, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this little nugget which will piss some "gleeks" off (that is if there is a season 4
Brace yourselves, Gleeks.
Glee exec producer Ryan Murphy just told The Hollywood Reporter that not only will Rachel, Finn and Kurt graduate from McKinley High at the end of the upcoming third season, but all three of their portrayers — Lea Michele, Cory Monteith and Chris Colfer — are “not going to be back at all for Season 4.”
That’s right, kids. He said At. All.

“You can keep them on the show for six years and people will criticize you for not being realistic,” he added, “or you can be really true to life and say when they started the show they were very clearly sophomores and they should graduate at the end of their senior year.

“We’ve never done anything by the book,” Murphy continued. “We made that decision and I involved Chris and Lea and they thought that was a good idea. They both trust the writing and trust me and felt that it would be great to have an open and closed experience for them to go out while they were on top.”

Murphy goes on to acknowledge that unlike Colfer and Michele, he has yet to discuss any of this with Monteith. But it shouldn’t come as much of a shock since the actor knew Finn “was a sophomore when the show started.”
The Glee boss first floated the graduation plot in an interview last month with Ryan Seacrest, although he stopped short of saying any of the actors would be written off the show permanently. Murphy later told TVLine that he would be open to the idea of possibly spinning some of the characters off into their own show — perhaps an hour-long series about a group of young artists (namely Rachel and Kurt) who head to New York City to pursue their musical theater dreams.

“It’s an interesting idea,” he said at the time. “The questions are ‘How would we do it? And when would we do it?’ It would have to be something I would talk about to [Fox bigwigs] Peter Rice and Kevin Reilly and [20th Century Fox brass] Dana Walden and Gary Newman. What we’re trying to do now — maybe those discussions will happen around December — we’re just now trying to do the first 10 episodes.”
To me, it seems like theyre going the way of the UK Skins, where the current cast graduates after 2 seasons
Old 07-14-11, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Glee Season 3 news, notes and hype thread (spoilers obviously)

I'm glad Glee is going to remain realistic .... [paging Sue]
Old 07-14-11, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Without Kurt, I might go back to watching it.
Old 07-14-11, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Quinn is still there...so I'm good
Old 07-14-11, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this could be good... Keeps things fresh. Of course it could backfire but taking chances is always like that. I applaud the effort.
Old 07-14-11, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by silentbob007
I'm glad Glee is going to remain realistic .... [paging Sue]
My thoughts exactly.
Old 07-14-11, 09:21 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

The "oh shit, we need to shake up the show since the tweens are tuning out!" mode.

Eh. Can't stand the 3, so it's fine with me.
Old 07-14-11, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Deadpool
Quinn is still there...so I'm good
Quinn was obsessed about being named Junior Prom Queen this past season chief. Even if they didn't announce it, she was a junior this past year.
Old 07-14-11, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think all of the Glee kids will be seniors this season, except for Sam, and we don't even know if the actor who plays him is even coming back. They can always hold Brittany back, I guess.

Last edited by Defiant1; 07-14-11 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-14-11, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if they specified what year each student was, but I could buy what's her asian and Artie were freshmen the first season. They could maybe hold back Puck too.

Seems odd for Murphy to single out Monteith for being the odd man out in the article.
Old 07-14-11, 11:05 PM

As long as they keep failing HeMo (Heather Morris) so her sweet ass stays around indefinitely, i could care less about most of the others. The chick that plays Santana, they should keep her around for some lesbian antics.

Everyone else is interchangeable, once they get rid of Lea Michele
Old 07-15-11, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre
As long as they keep failing HeMo (Heather Morris) so her sweet ass stays around indefinitely, i could care less about most of the others. The chick that plays Santana, they should keep her around for some lesbian antics.

Everyone else is interchangeable, once they get rid of Lea Michele
Not Mercedes, and not Mike Chang. I can see how Mike doesn't get mentioned (he's a background dancer), but I'm surprised Mercedes doesn't get mentioned. How does the strongest singer on the show not get mentioned on a singing show? Mercedes ranks right there as 1b to Lea Michelle. Sure she doesn't have the look, isn't billed as a star, and sings a different type of music, but her range and power are greater than Lea's.

That said, I've already suffered my greatest loss -- The Warblers. Of all the routines I've saved from the show, they have about 50% of them.
Old 07-15-11, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MikahC
Not Mercedes, and not Mike Chang. I can see how Mike doesn't get mentioned (he's a background dancer), but I'm surprised Mercedes doesn't get mentioned. How does the strongest singer on the show not get mentioned on a singing show? Mercedes ranks right there as 1b to Lea Michelle. Sure she doesn't have the look, isn't billed as a star, and sings a different type of music, but her range and power are greater than Lea's.
To each his own, but I'm going to have to disagree. I'm way behind on episodes for the second season, and I'm just not all that invested in the show anymore, but while Amber Riley is a great singer, I think Lea Michele is far and away the better of the two.

Lea Michele can really sing just about any genre there is, and she sounds incredible across the board while doing it. For my money, Amber Riley hasn't even come close to reaching the levels Lea did in On My Own and Don't Rain On My Parade, just to mention two of the standouts from the first season. There are tons more instances where Michele has outshined Riley. For me, it's not even a comparison; I could watch Lea sing for the entire 40 minutes, whereas I've had my Amber-fill after a song or two.

It has nothing to do with Amber not having "the look" either and all comes down to their voices. If this show didn't have Lea Michele on it at the start, and was I not so impressed with her voice, I don't know if I would've stuck with it; Amber Riley's voice wouldn't have been enough, by itself, to keep my interest.
Old 07-15-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We don't disagree as much as you might think. In fact, I don't disagree with most of what you said. But there is always going to be disagerement on subjective evaluations. What isn't subjective is that Amber Riley has a more powerful voice with more range. But there's a lot more to singing than that, and that's where Lea excells. Things like tone and ability to connect/emote.

Reading on-line, I saw many people liked Lea's rendition of Firework. I didn't like it at all. On the other hand, when she sings Barbara Streisand (or Broadway in general), she's gold. I do not think she sings every genre well. But I think Mercedes doing, "I Look To You" ranks right up there (especially before she goes haywire). FYI, it's best to listen to the studio recording version because the TV version jumps right into her belting. Essentially, the power in Mercedes's voice is also sometimes her biggest problem.

This will make 3 years of Lea holding the lead, and I've seen pretty much all I need to see from her. I won't be in a funk when she leaves except for one thing -- no more Lea probably means no more Idina Menzel. Maybe there will be more room for Sunshine Carazon or others. There are plenty of really good singers out there. Let's hear some more of them.

And The Warblers are still my favorite.

None of which was my main point. My main point is Mercedes doesn't even get mentioned.
Old 07-15-11, 10:59 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I can't imagine Glee without lea Michele
Old 07-15-11, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reading on-line, I saw many people liked Lea's rendition of Firework. I didn't like it at all. On the other hand, when she sings Barbara Streisand (or Broadway in general), she's gold. I do not think she sings every genre well.
Funny you mention Firework. I was excited when I saw she was singing it on the show but was totally underwhelmed when I heard it.
Old 07-15-11, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
I can't imagine Glee without lea Michele
Now that I think about it, neither can I.
Old 07-15-11, 01:08 PM

Received 774 Likes on 504 Posts

Heather Morris in 3D!

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/f...dconcertmovie/
Old 07-15-11, 01:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just as long as they keep that 600 pound gal that can't sing or dance, I'm good.
Old 07-15-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
Just as long as they keep that 600 pound gal that can't sing or dance, I'm good.
Old 07-15-11, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard
Just as long as they keep that 600 pound gorilla that can't sing or dance, I'm good.
What I saw when I first read your post.

Old 07-15-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 07-16-11, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by boogieman03
What I saw when I first read your post.

I think they are getting rid of her too, thankfully.
Old 07-16-11, 04:23 AM
Banned

None of which was my main point. My main point is Mercedes doesn't even get mentioned.
Maybe she's staying. They could easily make it so that she was younger than the others.
Old 07-16-11, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Maybe she's staying. They could easily make it so that she was younger than the others.
Understood. But my comment goes way beyond the current "news release" of students graduating. I mean she doesn't get mentioned even by the majority of on-line fans. Nobody here says, "I hope Mercedes is staying." Or anywhere else I've read. It was just an observation.

Anyway, out with the negative and on with the positive. No sooner than I start thinking about how Rachel leaving means probably no Idina Menzel than I see a news article on my Android saying Idina Menzel is coming back for season 4, and not just an episode. They're talking 10-12 episodes! With that news, I'm having a really hard time feeling bad about anyting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.