Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Best solutions for selling a used (DLP) HDTV?

bunnydojo
07-11-11, 02:32 PM
Short version:
Are there any options these days for selling or trading in a TV? Ideally, not involving CraigsList or eBay.

Long version:
The lamp in my Samsung HL-S4666W DLP TV from 6 years ago is finally starting to fade, so I'm looking at the possible directions to take.

A new OEM lamp will run somewhere in the $100-140 range and the TV is actually a bit too large (inconceivable, I know :)) for the room where it now sits.

Given that with some work I can find a (smaller) solid replacement in the $400 range, I feel like if I can get $100-150 for the old set, it's worth making a move.

But, for older sets in general and for DLPs in particular, it seems like the market disappeared.

All I've seen is an offer from Sony in 2007 that provides a $100 coupon for bringing the old set to a recycling plant, but that ended in 2008 and seems to have no recent follow-up. And it doesn't qualify for Best Buy's Buy Back program.

Are there any good options out there?

Numanoid
07-12-11, 12:37 PM
So you want to sell a personal item, but not use the most efficient and effective tools that exist for such a thing (namely Craigslist and eBay)? Classified ad in the paper, I guess, is your only other option, if they still exist.

Personally, for a mere $100, I'd just donate it and take the deduction. I just put a perfectly good 36" CRT TV at the end of my driveway a few weeks ago. It was gone in a day.

bunnydojo
07-12-11, 02:11 PM
So you want to sell a personal item, but not use the most efficient and effective tools that exist for such a thing (namely Craigslist and eBay)?I'm not ruling them out, just looking for other options. You know how it is with electronics on those sites... If the buyer makes an error when replacing the bulb a month down the line, or if another problem arises (which is possible, given the set's age), the e-mails start showing up no matter what warnings or recommendations you provide during the sale.

Thanks for suggesting the donation route, I'll look into that further.

Spottedfeather
07-12-11, 07:03 PM
I'd get an LCD tv. The picture may not be quite as good as a plasma, but it will last about twice as long.

cpgator
07-12-11, 09:50 PM
I'd get an LCD tv. The picture may not be quite as good as a plasma, but it will last about twice as long.

True. With a lifespan of only 30-40 years, why would anyone buy a plasma?

Philzilla
07-12-11, 11:24 PM
True. With a lifespan of only 30-40 years, why would anyone buy a plasma?

No doubt, they just don't make quality products anymore

Spiky
07-12-11, 11:39 PM
Sounds like you want to buy an LCD cell, not a TV. Those buggers can last forever. A TV has many LCD cells, some wiring, plastic, and circuit boards. The circuit boards don't last near as long as the cells. Tragic, really.

Ooh, or the power supplies. There's a part that craps out early.

kayak99
07-13-11, 04:30 PM
Too big, too crappy for fleabay.

So, pay to fix it and sell on craigslist or craigslist it as is. Know though that means sometimes creepy people in your house unless you have a porch plug and cable connection.

Few read the newspaper classifieds. Exception - if your area has one of those free classified type papers use it. Still going to cost you to advertise it though.

Else give it, donate it or curb it.

colour
07-17-11, 06:56 PM
You're probably gonna have a tough time selling a 6 yr old DLP for $100-$150 if it needs a bulb. Give it to someone you know, it's not worth putting up with the dumbass inconsiderate people you'll encounter with craigslist.

I've had people lowball me and I tell them I'll throw it away before I practically give it away to a jerk that I don't even know.

tholly
08-02-11, 04:21 PM
Sold my 3+ year old 56" DLP on Craigslist about 2 weeks ago for $450. Never changed the lightbuld once in it. Spent $1,100 total on it, so I made back almost 1/2 of the original purchase price. I posted it, and that thing was gone in less than 48 hours. Really enjoying my new 59" 3D plasma now.