DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon

Kain Shin
07-11-11, 09:26 AM
This game is like Gauntlet with Guns... and much improved from 2017.

The reviews have been panning EDF: IA because of its simplicity, repetitiveness, and occasional "buggyness".

Yes, the game looks crappy and might be buggy because it is technically very difficult to have a bunch of animating enemies in the world at the same time, and so they had to cut corners with the graphics to keep the NPC count high.

I'd like to come to the defense of Earth Defense Force as being a game that will satisfy the same part of your brain that Torchlight/Borderlands/Diablo might satisfy... while throwing in more verb options (aiming, placing turrets, dodging, blocking, flying, vehicles, etc...).

Fictionally, it is Starship Troopers meets Godzilla meets War of the Worlds
Weapon Categories: SMG, Straight Rockets, Guided Missiles, Shotguns, Grenades
Crazy Cool Weapons: Shotgun with guided bullets, Straight Rocket that explodes after X seconds and becomes a cluster of guided missiles
Split screen or Online Co-Op
Gaining EXP results in stat upgrades and unlocking weapon tiers
You can still find special weapons as item drops during play

Various Improvements over EDF: 2017 include...

Multiple Classes: Heavy guy with shield, Tactical guy with placeable turrets, Virtual On guy with wings and jetpack, Average guy who can use any weapon
Active Reload (Gears of War style)
Ability to Revive co-op Partners (2017 made the dead person wait until all were dead so this is a huge improvement)
Bots that simulate human players instead of being canon fodder (they can revive you)
Sprint button (in addition to the diveroll button that was in 2017)
You are forced to plant a detonator (with the y button) on enemy generators instead of being able to destroy them via standard damage (not sure how I feel about this)

I have been having a lot of fun with this game. It is the opposite of a thinking man's shooter and more akin to arcadey shooting games like Robotron or Serious Sam. If anyone else is playing it, my XBL tag is "KainAsylum"

Liver&Onions
07-11-11, 10:40 AM
My copy just showed up - but it's PS3, so I can't join you. Bummer.

Brooklyn
07-11-11, 01:33 PM
I've been playing since Tuesday, and while I do enjoy it, I feel it's quite a let down from 2017 in terms of enemy and terrain variance. I've also read (haven't played) that survival mode does not allow you to use your own character/weapons, any idea if this is the case?

chuckd21
07-11-11, 02:34 PM
My copy just showed up - but it's PS3, so I can't join you. Bummer.

Put PS3 copy on Craigslist, buy 360 version. Win.

K&AJones
07-11-11, 04:31 PM
I haven't grabbed this but I figured at $39 not bad. I asked to friends who said they were getting it so we can all co-op but I haven't checked "Live" yet to see where they stand.

K&AJones
07-17-11, 11:28 AM
Anyone playing this now and especially the co-op mode? I've got a $20 credit at Amazon and I've got a few friends that are playing this. But really wanted to hear how the co-op experience is?

K&AJones
02-17-12, 06:08 PM
I hated to revive this old thread but it was this or start another....

Amazon has this for like $11.00.....but I've heard (read) the coop play is the way to go. Does anyone still have this, looking for coop play or what? I'm not expecting "great in depth play" here but more like just a run & gun, lots of action, jump in with a few friends.

Barth
02-17-12, 07:11 PM
I hated to revive this old thread but it was this or start another....

Amazon has this for like $11.00.....but I've heard (read) the coop play is the way to go. Does anyone still have this, looking for coop play or what? I'm not expecting "great in depth play" here but more like just a run & gun, lots of action, jump in with a few friends.

For 11 bucks you can't go wrong. I rented it from Redbox and had a blast. I didn't play co-op but can see where that would be even more fun. Its a budget title and as long as you remember that I think you'll have fun. It seemed like Starship Troopers on Earth to me.

K&AJones
02-19-12, 11:46 AM
I went ahead and grabbed it. Like you say...for $11 you cannot go wrong. So if anyone has it and sees me trying my hand at it send me a invite.

K&AJones
02-25-12, 11:07 AM
I've played this for a few days now and it's fun typical arcade shootem'-up style. It's along the Crackdown 2 style except more destructive stuff with big bugs instead of zombies. It's gone back up but still can be had for under $18.00. For under it's still a good deal and good quick fun.