Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Is my DVD player going to explode?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is my DVD player going to explode?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-00, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was watching a movie on DVD last night and after it ended, I went over to the DVD player to turn it off. When I touched the case of the player, I noticed that it was very hot! It was even hotter in the back of the player. I never noticed this before and I just got this DVD player.

Is this a fire waiting to start? Is it normal for a dvd player to be this hot? What should I do?
Old 09-26-00, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is your player well-ventilated or is it inside an A/V cabinet? If it is well-ventilated.....you may want to contact the manufacturer first to see if they can relay any info regarding this problem.

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife
Old 09-26-00, 12:36 PM

It's not in a cabinet of any kind. It sits atop my new Reciever.

wait. My reciever could be sucking up some juice from the player making it hot. is that it?

would this problem be solved if I put a little desktop fan over there?
Old 09-26-00, 12:42 PM

Your DVD player is sitting directly on top?!?!!
Your receiver is the hottest thing and should have ample ventilation above and below. I'm assuming that your receiver has vents on top and below. NOTHING should be above it at all, and nothing should be below it either cause that's where all the heat escapes from.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jar Jar Fett:
It's not in a cabinet of any kind. It sits atop my new Reciever.

wait. My reciever could be sucking up some juice from the player making it hot. is that it?

would this problem be solved if I put a little desktop fan over there?
<HR>

Old 09-26-00, 01:17 PM

here's how they are stacked:

VCR

DVD Player

Receiver

--I put the receiver on the bottom because it is so much wider than my other devices. So you say the receiver should be separate from everything? is it okay if it sits on a wood surface?

I really want to avoid a fire or meltdown!
Old 09-26-00, 03:10 PM

Hi Fett,
I see what you mean by the size of each and how you've stacked them.
It would be best to get a rack or stand to put your components in.
But in the mean time I keep the receiver separated then, definitely not stacked with the others...receiver's generate lots of heat which get emitted upwards through the vents so placing something on top would be a bad idea for the receiver and whatevers on top.

If you have to stack them then put the receiver on top if it will work with the sizes.
Old 09-26-00, 03:21 PM

Thanks, Andy.

I have my components on a dresser, so the surface is wide enough to keep the reciever separated. I think I will get a small desktop fan for the area tho. Is that wise?
Old 09-27-00, 05:40 PM

I suppose you can look at it two ways. A small fan would disperse some of the radiant heat coming out of the top of the receiver. But, if your room is particularly dusty (my places allways seem to have an unusual amount of dust...one of life's mysteries) then its not necessarily a great idea. For the most part, if you keep the receiver seperate from the other components you should be fine. The key is to have enough space on the bottom, sides, and rear of your components (top as well in the case of things like receivers) to allow the heat to disperse. Your dvd player was running hot as it was just absorbing all the heat the receiver was emitting (remember, hot air rises ). If you place the dvd player away from the top of the receiver you should be fine. Unless you have a particularly hot room a fan shouldn't be necessary.
Old 09-28-00, 10:43 AM

Thanks, guys.

I recently moved my DVD player and VCR. They sit next to my receiver (about 6-7inches away). Since then, my DVD player now stays cool and I don't get any "overload" warnings from my receiver.
Old 09-28-00, 01:58 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Furious:
I suppose you can look at it two ways. A small fan would disperse some of the radiant heat coming out of the top of the receiver. But, if your room is particularly dusty (my places allways seem to have an unusual amount of dust...one of life's mysteries) then its not necessarily a great idea. <HR>

This staement about dust can easily be avoided by having the fan pull air away from the reciever. In fact that is the only way I would use a fan in conjunction a reciever. I suggest getting a small fan from radio shack and using that on your reciever.

[This message has been edited by ZenDog (edited September 28, 2000).]
Old 09-28-00, 06:57 PM

I wouldn't bother with a fan. It should be fine as long as nothing is blocking the vents and you give it room. If you need to baby it because it might die of heat in regular conditions then the receiver is faulty to begin with.

I have a Technics receiver that's well known for its heat problems. I babied it big time at first...even installed my own fan onto it but I thought that it was useless. If its going to die on me, I don't want it. So I don't baby it anymore and I infact now push it hard and it hasn't died yet!