Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Product Placement in TV shows takes on a new level

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-11, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Product Placement in TV shows takes on a new level

This was a very interesting article on EW today, concerning a new technology designed to integrate and even change advertisements and name-brand products in television series reruns.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/07/ho...her-zookeeper/

Essentially, if you're watching a program such as "How I Met Your Mother" in syndication, despite an episode being from several years ago you will see product placement for a film currently in theaters now, or coming soon.

It's a kind of "Star Wars" like revisionist history since it ultimately tampers with the era the series is set in, but depending on the show it may or may not be relevant or even be noticeable.

Here's a few quotes:

If you’ve watched syndicated reruns of sitcom How I Met Your Mother lately, you might have been startled to see advertisements for very current movies such as Bad Teacher and Zookeeper in episodes that originally aired as early as 2006, long before those flicks were made. The photos here, for instance, are from the second-season episode titled “Swarley,” which originally aired Nov. 6, 2006 — more than four years before Bad Teacher hit theaters. So… what exactly is going with this phenomenon? EW investigated, and here’s the scoop.

Turns out that 20th Television — the studio distributor behind Mother — has been selling promotional spots in syndicated episodes to wring even more money out of the sitcom’s already rich syndication deals. Specifically, the feat is accomplished by a partnership with a company, SeamBI, which stands for Seamless Brand Integration and is responsible for digitally altering old episodes with new products and brands.

The company’s CEO Roy Baharav calls SeamBI an “advertising technology innovator” and says that what they do — in essence, monetizing aging television shows by adding new brands and product placement into old episodes — is the future. “What we do is we insert, very efficiently, brands into content in a natural way and in a way that is valuable to advertisers,” Baharav says. “So we find the balance between not compromising the integrity of the content and, on the other end, bring a lot of value to the advertiser.”

In the two examples pictured here, not only the advertisements for Bad Teacher were added, but the devices on which they are displayed were also inserted into the episode. In the coffee shop scene with Marshall (Jason Segel) above, the plasma TV screen was inserted and functions much like one you might typically see in a coffee shop or, for instance, a bar. “In most cases, we insert new things,” explains Baharav. “Not only have we created it, but we created it with a reason that it was there. This is something that the producers insist on — that there is a reason why the device is there. It’s not only a plasma TV. If you look at it, it has a ticker on the side with the NASDAQ status and the Dodgers score, and so on. Basically, it’s just like when you go to a coffee shop, it’s what you might find.” The Bad Teacher poster in the second photo (below) with Ted (Josh Radnor) and Barney (Neil Patrick Harris) was added to a lamp post that was already in the scene.
Old 07-08-11, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Product Placement in TV shows takes on a new level

Old 07-08-11, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The biggest product placement I have noticed is on CBS. Sundays at 9 pm they have a show called Undercover Boss which in btwn the 20 minutes of commercials is a 40 minute infomercial of a company who has there CEO go "Undercover" with videocameras all around pretending to be an average joe/jane who then rewards a real average joe/jane who works for his/her company at the end of an episode.
Old 07-08-11, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This has been around for much, much longer than just the last year or two.
Old 07-08-11, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
“So we find the balance between not compromising the integrity of the content and, on the other end, bring a lot of value to the advertiser.”
This guy can't possibly believe this, does he?

Oh, wait, he's an Ad Exec. It doesn't matter if he believes it, as long as it makes money.

-jason
Old 07-08-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Who watches syndicated shows anyway? Pop in those DVDs people!

As for the practice, this falls in the category on the whole. It somewhat makes a show's setting feel more like the real world than a place populated with generic products, but on the flipside it could quickly become garish and intrusive depending on how well the ad is inserted.
Old 07-08-11, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I don't care that they're trying to sell stuff to me, I'm pretty savvy with products out there and ads don't sway me one way or another, nor do they really distract me.

Swarles Barkley.
Old 07-08-11, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

But wait, there's more!

http://consumerist.com/2011/07/tv-wi...mym-rerun.html
Old 07-08-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I was wondering why the TV on Game of Thrones was showing an ad for The Zookeeper.
Old 07-08-11, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
This has been around for much, much longer than just the last year or two.
Yes. I'm not mistaken, one early season of Hell's Kitchen had the contestants eating takeout food. In the original US version, the food was from Subway. But in the Canadian version, some local chain's logo was digitally inserted instead. It might have even been Tim Hortons. All I remember is that Canadians here on the board were like "WTF?!?! There's no [Tim Hortons] in Los Angeles!".

So, same tech, different application.
Old 07-08-11, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome.

I'd hope to see Jerry and Elaine walk past some iPhone 6 ads. Maybe have a shot of Rachel and Monica watching a Lady Gaga concert. Or Don Draper updating his relationship status on Facebook.

The possibilities are endless!
Old 07-08-11, 12:35 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
As for the practice, this falls in the category on the whole. It somewhat makes a show's setting feel more like the real world than a place populated with generic products, but on the flipside it could quickly become garish and intrusive depending on how well the ad is inserted.
Yeah I really have no problem with it, particularly in cases like the HIMYM examples. As long as they aren't taking away from an episode, I couldn't care less.
Old 07-08-11, 12:38 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I think a line was crossed when Ned Stark was seen enjoying a Diet Coke in Game of Thrones.
Old 07-08-11, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

As we all enjoy fast-forwarding past commercials, you'll see more and more of this kind of thing.

I don't really have an issue but when a show is as specifically dated as HIMYM, it's silly to include current ads for movies that are basically from the future as far as the show is concerned.

I think product placement is fine. I can see like 10 logos from where I'm sitting in front of my computer, so it makes sense that people on TV would do the same. It's just because we know it's product placement that makes even the subtlest example feel like a commercial.

This trend is a little silly but we're only going to see more of it.
Old 07-08-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Ehh. Universal added digital Coke cans in syndicated episodes of Law and Order long before this new obrusive method came out.
Old 07-08-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I was wondering why the TV on Game of Thrones was showing an ad for The Zookeeper.
Originally Posted by Groucho
I think a line was crossed when Ned Stark was seen enjoying a Diet Coke in Game of Thrones.
Missed it by that much.
Old 07-08-11, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Don't worry about it. When it comes out on blu-ray they're going to replace it with an iPhone.
Old 07-08-11, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

So does this mean that for the reruns I do watch I should expect to see a bunch of Obama 2012 ads soon?
Old 07-08-11, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Who watches syndicated shows anyway? Pop in those DVDs people!
Even if I own the dvds, I'm a 1000% more likely to watch a rerun that just happens to be on the tv.
Old 07-09-11, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

And Commissioner Gordon now calls Adam West on a red iphone. I myself totally switched to a Windows7 phone when I saw Castle had switched!
Old 07-09-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Even if I own the dvds, I'm a 1000% more likely to watch a rerun that just happens to be on the tv.
I'm the opposite, and will intentionally not watch knowing it's cut down, looks like crap (depending on how old the show and the quality of the video is), etc. Same with movies if they're edited for time or content.
Old 07-10-11, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it would be hilarious if they did this on something obviously way in the past. Brady Bunch or Bewitched clearly in the 60's/70's. "Oh look, Marcia has the new Ke$ha record. I want to go buy it to be like Marcia." Ignore the fact Ke$ha hasn't been born yet when the ep was made.
Old 07-10-11, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

It's like a time machine!
Old 07-10-11, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Don't worry about it. When it comes out on blu-ray they're going to replace it with an iPhone.
And even the title will be changed, to "Game of La-Z-Boys."
Old 07-10-11, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised they didn't think of this while filming and insert green-screens placeholders, like the digital billboards in baseball parks.

I still get a kick out of the blatant car integration/advertisement on some USA shows. Nearly every week someone on White Collar brags about a feature of their Ford. Last week they actually worked in a towing capacity reference.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.