Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Questions about Feist's Riftwar Saga.

DeputyDave
07-07-11, 07:40 PM
So I decided to re-read Feist's Riftwar/Krondor books from the beginning. I read them before back in the late 80's early 90's (even played the CRPG). I read them through at least Rise of a Merchant King but maybe as far as Shards of a Broken Crown (can't quite remember). I just finished the first book (Apprentice) and am starting the second one.

My first question is whether reading the "Empire" books he wrote with Wurts is really worth it. I can't remember if I read them originally but if I did they couldn't have made that much of an impression. I do remember at least knowing the were set in Kelewan and I think they really had very little to do with the Kingdon and the books to follow. The problem is I am buying these all used and those look hard to find.

My second question is how good are the books from Krondor: The Betrayal on? Are they as good as the earlier ones? What about the three he wrote with three different authors?

GreenMonkey
07-08-11, 12:11 AM
I love the Empire books myself; better than the main Midkemia books.

There gets to be more overlap later, so I'd recommend reading them after you finish Magician, or at least after the first three books.

I never got around to reading the Krondor: Betrayal books somehow. Weirdly. I had trouble finishing the first one - maybe because I played the game (just played some of it last year actually).

If you want a copy of anything cheap, grab 'em from the Amazon marketplace - $.01 plus $3.99 bucks shipping (or cheaper if you have prime). Maybe not as cheap as getting on credit from your local used bookstore, but still pretty cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Daughter-Empire-Raymond-Feist/dp/055327211X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310098300&sr=8-1

WallyOPD
07-08-11, 12:24 PM
Same with GreenMonkey, I love the Empire books more than the original Riftwar books (and I really enjoyed Magician). There's not too much overlap between the Empire and Riftwar books, but from what I recall timeline-wise, Daughter kind of takes place from near the end of Magician: Apprentice right up to the beginning of Magican: Master, Servant takes place through Magician: Master, Silverthorn, and A Darkness at Sethanon, and Mistress is pretty independent of anything going on in other books. In my own internal reading order, I would read the first four Riftwar books and then the Empire books.

The 3 Krondor books were terrible, I would skip them unless you're dedicated to reading the entire collection. I haven't read any of the three Riftwar Legends books cowritten with others, so can't say how good they are.

As for the books after that, they're mostly hit or miss, and never rise to the level of the original Riftwar Saga or Empire trilogy. I didn't care for most of the characters in the Serpentwar Saga and felt it got too bogged down in the minutiae of warfare. The Conclave of Shadows got a little better, and I at least found the main character(s) more engaging.

I have some complaints with the more recent books too, but they're more spoiler-heavy so I won't go into the details. I'm not enjoying the books like I used to, but he's wrapping up the entire storyline in the next couple of years so I'm sticking with it until the end.

GreenMonkey
07-08-11, 03:59 PM
On the other hand, I liked the Serpentwar books a LOT, but I wasn't too keen on the Conclave of Shadows books...they were OK. The last two trilogies stepped it up though - stuff is happening, and they've been pretty good.

DeputyDave
07-08-11, 08:59 PM
OK, I guess it looks like I'll pick up the Empire books. Thank you. What exactly happens in the Krondor books? If they suck will I be missing anything vital that comes up later?

WallyOPD
08-19-11, 02:35 PM
OK, I guess it looks like I'll pick up the Empire books. Thank you. What exactly happens in the Krondor books? If they suck will I be missing anything vital that comes up later?

I've actually only read the first Krondor book (and I can't even remember if I finished it, I really wasn't enjoying it). Events in the books are referenced in the Serpentwar Saga, but the Krondor books were published after that series anyway, so anything you're missing was missed by readers at the time, as well.

RonG617
08-21-11, 11:43 AM
I didn't care much for the Krondor books. The Legends stories depend on the co-author. I really think Feist just gave them an outline and did some editing, because each of the books is written completely in the co-author's style and I see no Feist at all. I loved Forstchen's Honored Enemy. Rosenberg story is the same three characters he used in his most current Guardians of the Flame series only using different names. Stirling's story was okay, but there were some contradictions with the Jimmy the Hand history I have read from previous Feist works. None of the stories are essential for the series, but I would get Honored Enemy just because it is a great read.

SmithsGuy
08-22-11, 12:53 PM
So I decided to re-read Feist's ...

My first question is whether reading the "Empire" books he wrote with Wurts is really worth it. I can't remember if I read them originally but if I did they couldn't have made that much of an impression. I do remember at least knowing the were set in Kelewan and I think they really had very little to do with the Kingdon and the books to follow. The problem is I am buying these all used and those look hard to find.

I think the Empire books are worth it. They can standalone quite well, without having to be familiar w Feist's other books. I read the Empire trilogy before ever finishing the Magician books.

Regards,
Smithsguy