Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2011 San Diego Comic Con - news, guests, skedooley

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Every year, it's more like a "Hollywood Industry Con" that showcases some comic book films with very little actual comic book panels. More times than not, it's to shill tv shows and movies that have little or nothing to do with comic books. And now it's a gamble to showcase to a small portion of theater patrons and televisions viewers. Back in 2008, Jeffrey Godsick, prexy of marketing at Fox Walden said, "Good buzz at Comic-Con can be huge for a movie." Tell that to the Scott Pilgrims of the world.

So here we are... 2011. The 42<sup>nd</sup> year of the con? It's still in San Diego until 2015 and daily attendance almost doubles Disneyland's daily summer average. Ugh.

There are rumors of no Marvel presence other than publishing and the licensed films like Amazing Spider-Man and Ghost Rider. (Remember, Paramount and Disney came to an agreement. So no Avengers, Captain America, Iron Man 3, Thor 2.)

Anyway... here's the unofficial TV Panel Schedule.
Old 07-01-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: 2011 San Diego Comic Con - news, guests, skedooley

I remember when Comic Conventions were about comic books--and they were small-scale events that were fun to attend and you got to meet great comic book artists and get things signed without any fuss. I used to take my daughter when she was little and we had a good time. I miss those days.
Old 07-01-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

My first San Diego "comic" con was in the freakin' 70's when it was at the El Cortez Hotel. Have gone once in the last 20 years. Damn I'm old........
Old 07-01-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never been I have no interest. A small time comic book convention sounds like it would be fun but the circus known as Comic Con -- no thanks.
Old 07-01-11, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Hollywood is backing away from the con big time this year. Don't know if it's a slow year or (hopefully) a steady trend back to how Comic Con SHOULD be.
Old 07-01-11, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know the twilight people will have a panel this year so that ought to be pure hell. Ive actually read on twitter from people who arent attending this year (and prob next) as their presence annoys many
Old 07-01-11, 04:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm probably going on Friday for the Torchwood panel. Might bail after that and see my family in the area. A Doctor Who panel was just announced for Sunday, but it's in Hall H so I won't lose any sleep over missing it.
Old 07-01-11, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There is speculation that Disney may be holding out their big Marvel slate for their own D23 Expo in August. And Warner's just doesn't have anything currently that needs the big Comic Con push. There's already established buzz about TDKR and there's nothing much to show for Supes to have to rush out any kind of teaser. In an economy right now where studios are hurting, it doesn't make much sense to push marketing bucks to Comic Con.

July is a terrible time to be promoting next year's tent pole films (which likely have barely started filming) and most of the current summer slate would have been already opened.

Either way it's a good thing to me, as this would most likely be my last trip to SD. I just need to see a confirmed panel schedule to know if I'll sell my pass or not.
Old 07-01-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/07/...ego-comic-con/

Two years after the last Twilight panel at San Diego Comic Con, the organisers have learned something.

The The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn panel will take place in Hall H first thing on Thursday, July 21st. First thing.

So there will be no preceding panel full of Twilight fans, not interested in the subject being discussed or previewed, but filling out the hall, sat in their seats, possibly with a complicated urinary system, waiting for the sparkly vampires to arrive on stage to show a clip of the next chapter in the Twilight saga.

Which reminds me, was Twilight in any way inspired by Lewis Carroll’s “Twinkle Twinkle, Little Bat” from Alice?

Sorry, where was I? Oh yes.

You’ll still have to stay in line through the night if you have any hope of being one of the six thousand lucky people to fill Hall H. But I think it’s worth it, don’t you?

Also as the panel runs first thing on the Thursday, you can get all your Twilight out of your system in one burst, leaving a Twilight-free convention for everyone else to enjoy.

Twilight fans and the rest of Comic Con living in perfect harmony? It could happen.
Old 07-01-11, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I know the twilight people will have a panel this year so that ought to be pure hell. Ive actually read on twitter from people who arent attending this year (and prob next) as their presence annoys many
For as many people who tweeted such "objections" to the presence of the twihards, if you were trying to get a ticket (the resale tickets from refunded returned tickets) to Comicon last Friday, and this past Wednesday, judging by all the posts on the Facebook Comic_con page, there were plenty of people who wanted to go to Comicon and were shut out of going this year.

Anyhow, so glad they got smart and moved the Twilight panel to the start of Thursday and once that panel ends, the rest of us will be able to slam on in there and enjoy the rest of Comicon and Hall H.

Oh, yes, I'm going to Comicon this year!
Old 07-07-11, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Weds & Thursday programming is up: http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci11_prog_thu.php

Covert Affairs
Psych
Ringer
Napolean Dynamite (animated)
Game of Thrones
Awake
Archer
Clone Wars Season 4
Beavis and Butthead
Dexter
Shameless
Homeland
Wilfred

Twilight Breaking Dawn
Arthur Christmas (Animated)
Pirates! Band of Misfits (Animated)
Robert Rodriguez panel
20th Century Fox panel - I assume ROTPOTA? Prometheus? Ice Age 4?

Kind of blah...
Old 07-07-11, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think I'm going to try and park my butt in Ballroom 20 for most of Thursday. (I was trying not to do but one day in a big room, but it may look like I will try Hall H on one of the remaining 3 days).
Old 07-07-11, 03:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Covert Affairs
Psych
Ringer
Napolean Dynamite (animated)
Game of Thrones
Awake
Archer
Clone Wars Season 4
Beavis and Butthead
Dexter
Shameless
Homeland
Wilfred

Twilight Breaking Dawn
Arthur Christmas (Animated)
Pirates! Band of Misfits (Animated)
Robert Rodriguez panel
20th Century Fox panel - I assume ROTPOTA? Prometheus? Ice Age 4?
Great, these are all of my favorite comics.
Old 07-07-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
20th Century Fox panel - I assume ROTPOTA?
What is that?
Old 07-07-11, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by resinrats
What is that?
Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Fox did not list what their programming would be so one has to make a best guess.
Old 07-07-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I won't be making it inside the convention center this year. At last year's con, I had to make the decision not to buy a pass because I wasn't sure if I was going to still be living here.

So, this year, I will not have any panels to attend or Hall H line to camp out in. I will try to hit some of the offsite activities. Plus I will be able to get some pics of people dressed up on Saturday, which historically, was spent in Hall H.

I know some of us would meet up after badge pick-up at the "usual place" so if you guys still wanted to, I can meet ya but won't continue on the journey.
Old 07-08-11, 01:00 AM
Banned by request

It won't be the same without ya, Tom.
Old 07-08-11, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Hollywood is backing away from the con big time this year. Don't know if it's a slow year or (hopefully) a steady trend back to how Comic Con SHOULD be.
Hopefully studios are finally realizing they are preaching to the choir at Comic-Con. That audience is already interested in these types of movies and TV shows. Studios need to broaden their marketing to a bigger audience because as we've seen, an appearance at Comic-Con does not guarantee success anymore.
Old 07-08-11, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What's the usual place?
Old 07-08-11, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Patman
What's the usual place?
Old 07-08-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Friday programming is up: http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci11_prog_fri.php

Looks like if I do go.. I won't need to camp out in Hall H other than for the Sony panel to see whatever they bring to show for The Amazing Spider-Man.
Old 07-08-11, 01:07 PM
Banned by request

What time do they open the doors again? I need to get in line for Ballroom 20 first thing on Friday.
Old 07-08-11, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

I've never been before. How hard is it to get into Hall H and Ballroom 20? Like, there are some things I'd like to see in smaller rooms, and then right after that something in one of the bigger ones like Hall H. Am I not going to have a chance unless I camp out in the bigger ones?
Old 07-08-11, 07:37 PM
Banned by request

Ballroom 20 has more turnover and is easier to get into, although you may still have to wait a panel or two before the one you want. Hall H is basically an all day thing.

My advice: Forget Hall H exists and enjoy the rest of the Con.
Old 07-08-11, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
It won't be the same without ya, Tom.
Thanks! It will seem strange at first. My very good buddy who's been going for 30 years just recently moved to St. Louis and just got a house yesterday. He's press but not sure if he's going this year either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.