DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Whitey Bulger CAUGHT

TGM
06-23-11, 08:57 PM
this is obviously not a big story outside of Massachusetts, eh?

X
06-23-11, 09:04 PM
I guess other states frown upon calling caucasians "Whitey".

NORML54601
06-23-11, 09:08 PM
Negro Burglar Escapes*

*This is an actual headline from the 1800's. One whitey stole some slaves from another whitey and thus became know as the elusive "Negro Burglar".

crazyronin
06-23-11, 09:13 PM
It's sad when the reigning hide and seek champion is finally caught.

Not really. Whitey is a psychopathic serial killer.

Groucho
06-23-11, 09:34 PM
Kill Whitey!

Dr Mabuse
06-23-11, 09:38 PM
:lol:

JasonF
06-23-11, 09:48 PM
That's two guys on the FBI Ten Most Wanted list in a month and a half. Semion Mogilevich better watch his back.

NORML54601
06-23-11, 10:28 PM
That's two guys on the FBI Ten Most Wanted list in a month and a half. Semion Mogilevich better watch his back.

I bet that guy gets pissed when people pronounce his name "semen"

Josh-da-man
06-23-11, 10:50 PM
this is obviously not a big story outside of Massachusetts, eh?

Not really. And even then, most people would have heard of him because of "The Departed."

starman9000
06-23-11, 10:52 PM
Obama! :banana:

68ShelbyGT500KR
06-23-11, 11:41 PM
He was good in Brotherhood also

wmansir
06-23-11, 11:58 PM
I'm just mad because I didn't hear the news until after the Howie Carr show was over.

Doc Moonlight
06-24-11, 09:15 AM
Why is this thread in "Politics and World Events" as opposed to "Other", along with the other weirdos and psycho killers? Yes, brother Billy was in politics, but Whitey wasn't.

JasonF
06-24-11, 09:59 AM
:shrug: Catching one of the most wanted fugitives in the world seems like a world event to me.

WallyOPD
06-24-11, 10:02 AM
When I saw the thread title I automatically assumed this was a Buttmunker thread.

clappj
06-24-11, 10:14 AM
http://www.whitewheat.com/Global/images/Products/whitewheat/breadGroup.jpg

Red Dog
06-24-11, 11:09 AM
Never heard of him, but I find that Balko makes a good point about his arrest:

Officer safety is usually cited as the main justification for the mass proliferation of SWAT teams over the last 30 years. Police say forced entry, flash grenades, and other paramilitary tactics are the only way offers can protect themselves while serving warrants on dangerous people like suspected pot dealers, poker players, optometrists who wager on football games, frail 69-year-old men suspected of selling painkillers, and women suspected of committing fraud on their student loan applications—to give just a few examples.

But what happens when police need to apprehend a genuinely dangerous person? We see this over and over: They don’t always send the SWAT team. And when they do, like they did in Columbine, the SWAT team sometimes waits outside until the shooting is over. So this week we had Whitey Bulger. He’s a suspect in at least 19 murders. He had 20 guns in his home when police apprehended him. So how did they do it? Once again, they didn’t send a SWAT team barreling into his home. Instead, they lured him out with a phone call, then arrested him peacefully.

Perhaps if they thought he had some pot in the house, it might have gone down differently.

PopcornTreeCt
06-24-11, 01:46 PM
I wonder if the SWAT team acts have more to do with the popularity of the suspects. SWAT can get away with killing anonymous pot heads but this was a high profile case and likely they wanted him alive. Just a thought.

wmansir
06-24-11, 02:43 PM
The Departed was very loosely based on his corruption of the FBI. But there was also a TV show "Brotherhood" based on his relationship with his brother, Billy, who was one of the most powerful politicians in the state. Billy Bulger was President of the state Senate for 20 years, but just as significant was his place atop the Mass. democratic political machine which effectively controlled the state government. There is little direct evidence, but plenty of rumors about how they would watch each other's back. Billy ended up in cush gig as president of the UMass system after he left the state Senate. He was eventually forced out in 2003 by a newly elected Romney after a congressional hearing where Billy admitted talking to his brother and refusing to cooperate with the FBI.

There is also a connection with Mike Barnacle, frequent guest on Morning Joe. Before he got booted from the Boston Globe for plagiarism and making up facts he would kiss up to both Bulger brothers. A great example is a 1991 column Barnacle wrote about how great it was that a good guy like Whitey, long hounded by the FBI due to anti-Irish prejudice, finally got lucky and won the state lottery. In reality, Whitey and his goons extorted half the prize money from the schmuck lucky enough to win the $14M prize, but unlucky enough to buy it at one of Whitey's stores. The store was one of several Whitey was "lucky" enough to buy at a great discount after visiting the owners at home during the night.

Ranger
06-24-11, 02:59 PM
Yeah, you know the arrest vs evidence search argument... which still doesn't explain the necessity of using paramilitary raids just to find evidence for non-violent offenses.

al_bundy
06-24-11, 03:58 PM
I wonder if the SWAT team acts have more to do with the popularity of the suspects. SWAT can get away with killing anonymous pot heads but this was a high profile case and likely they wanted him alive. Just a thought.

how many of the high profile suspects put up a fight when they know they are going to be caught? how many are arrested holding weapons?

wmansir
06-24-11, 04:40 PM
Heard on the radio that the tip that lead to Bulger came from a woman in Iceland. They didn't say how she knew where they were. Apparently the new female-focused PSA was indirectly responsible. She didn't see the PSA as aired, but saw them as part of a CNN report on the tactic.

cdollaz
06-27-11, 03:47 PM
It's about time they caught The Man.

crazyronin
06-27-11, 04:35 PM
The latest rumor is that the FBI knew where he was and only popped him because the US Marshals were about to find him.

Ky-Fi
06-27-11, 04:46 PM
The Departed was very loosely based on his corruption of the FBI. But there was also a TV show "Brotherhood" based on his relationship with his brother, Billy, who was one of the most powerful politicians in the state. Billy Bulger was President of the state Senate for 20 years, but just as significant was his place atop the Mass. democratic political machine which effectively controlled the state government. There is little direct evidence, but plenty of rumors about how they would watch each other's back. Billy ended up in cush gig as president of the UMass system after he left the state Senate. He was eventually forced out in 2003 by a newly elected Romney after a congressional hearing where Billy admitted talking to his brother and refusing to cooperate with the FBI.

There is also a connection with Mike Barnacle, frequent guest on Morning Joe. Before he got booted from the Boston Globe for plagiarism and making up facts he would kiss up to both Bulger brothers. A great example is a 1991 column Barnacle wrote about how great it was that a good guy like Whitey, long hounded by the FBI due to anti-Irish prejudice, finally got lucky and won the state lottery. In reality, Whitey and his goons extorted half the prize money from the schmuck lucky enough to win the $14M prize, but unlucky enough to buy it at one of Whitey's stores. The store was one of several Whitey was "lucky" enough to buy at a great discount after visiting the owners at home during the night.

Oh that's right---I totally forgot about him "winning" the lottery. :lol:

The other thing that irks me about gangsters like this (and I remember it was the same with Gotti) is the working class locals who play him up like some kind of Robin Hood "looking out for the neighborhood". These murderers just throw a few crumbs to the masses once in a while, and that's all it takes to get some support. They tell themselves crap like "he kept drugs out of the neighborhood" or "he really only shook down other criminals". Pathetic.

Norm de Plume
06-27-11, 09:44 PM
I've seen this scum profiled on A.M.W. about a dozen times, so :dance:.