Search this Thread

Old 06-21-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Combat Hospital -- New ABC Drama -- Premieres 6/21/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-06-01

Series Synopsis:

"Combat Hospital" is a fictional drama set in 2006 at the only military hospital providing advanced surgical care in all of Southern Afghanistan. The series charts the frantic lives of the hospital's resident doctors and nurses from Canada, America, the U.K. and other allied countries, following them as they navigate the relentless life-and-death battles on the operating table and the never-ending conflicts that arise from working in a war zone military hospital.
Synopsis for "Welcome to Kandahar"

Spoiler:
"Welcome to Kandahar," it's 2006: Major Rebecca Gordon (Michelle Borth, "Hawaii Five-O"), a highly-trained trauma surgeon, and Captain Bobby Trang (Terry Chen, "Sanctuary"), a brand-new doctor, report for duty at the NATO Role 3 Multinational Medical Unit at Kandahar Airfield. Perched at the edge of the airfield and built out of plywood and canvas held together with duct tape, the temporary building that houses the Role 3 shakes every time a plane takes off. The hospital's commander, Colonel Xavier Marks (Elias Koteas, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"), tells the newcomers to expect an experience unlike any they've had before. Rebecca thinks she can handle anything, while Bobby is acutely conscious of his inexperience. They both get off to a rocky start, as Colonel Marks points out Rebecca's mistakes and tries to build Bobby's confidence. But over the next 48 hours, as they deal with rocket attacks, flying shrapnel and wave after wave of injured and wounded U.S. Marines, Canadian soldiers, Afghan civilians and even a Taliban prisoner, they manage to rise to the challenge, even as they grow more and more exhausted. Welcome to Kandahar, indeed.

13 episodes ordered

The show is a U.S./Canada and UK production.

Starring:

Michelle Borth
Elias Koteas
Deborah Kara Unger

Trailer:

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x17R_jUE464" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Michelle Borth as the lead gets this an automatc watch and I like that it's a war medical drama. Might put a little different spin on the genre.
Old 06-21-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Combat Hospital -- New ABC Drama -- Premieres 6/21/11

Didn't I already not watch this when it was called Off the Map?
Old 06-22-11, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I happened to catch this one when it aired. My expectations were not high, as the reviews were mediocre, but it was ok.

I can only take so many doctor shows at any one time. So, with Royal Pains starting up next week, we'll see. But, this opening ep was good enough to cause me to check out ep 2 next week. (I thought Michelle Borth was good in it, btw, and easy on the eyes.)
Old 06-22-11, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

It was much better than I expected, although I really had low expectations. I didn't realize it was a Canadian production until nearly the end when I saw the Canadian flag on the main doctor's sleeve. They mentioned Michelle Borth was Canadian at the beginning, but since it was a multinational hospital, I assumed everyone else would be American with a few Brits or Australians thrown in for good measure. It has the potential to get really "soapy," but if they can avoid that, I'll keep watching.
Old 06-22-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Much better than Off the Map. I like that they kept the "newbies in over their head" stuff to a minimum.

I'll enjoy this for the summer, since it won't last any longer than that.
Old 06-22-11, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
Much better than Off the Map. I like that they kept the "newbies in over their head" stuff to a minimum.

I'll enjoy this for the summer, since it won't last any longer than that.
I skipped Off The Map, as I get my fill of medical dramas during the regular season with Grey's.

I'm not as knowledgable about the chances at renewal as some here seem to be, but I was thinking that since this is really a Canadian produced show (being shown on Canadian tv and only purchased by ABC to be shown in the U.S.) that it might have a better chance at renewal than another similar type drama produced by a U.S. Production company? I did read where the ratings were fairly low in the U.S. with the networks' reality and game shows winning the night. Maybe they'll improve?

In any case, if it only goes for the Summer, I hope it gets wrapped up properly.

Last edited by northmoor; 06-22-11 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-22-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by northmoor
I skipped Off The Map, as I get my fill of medical dramas during the regular season with Grey's.

I'm not as knowledgable about the chances at renewal as some here seem to be, but I was thinking that since this is really a Canadian produced show (being shown on Canadian tv and only purchased by ABC to be shown in the U.S.) that it might have a better chance at renewal than another similar type drama produced by a U.S. Production company?

In any case, if it only goes for the Summer, I hope it gets wrapped up properly.
Correct. The show is produced and paid for by Canadian and UK production companies. ABC just pays a license fee to air it in the United States. They could cancel it, but whoever airs it in Canada could still order a 2nd season.

There is a very similar arrangment with CBS and the CTV (Canada) show Flashpoint.
Old 06-23-11, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Correct. The show is produced and paid for by Canadian and UK production companies. ABC just pays a license fee to air it in the United States. They could cancel it, but whoever airs it in Canada could still order a 2nd season.

There is a very similar arrangment with CBS and the CTV (Canada) show Flashpoint.
There's also the example of the show The Listener, which was on NBC in 2009. They canceled the show after 8 episodes, but CTV in Canada considers it a minor hit. They renewed it for a second season, and just recently picked it up for a 3rd.
Old 06-23-11, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk God

So I watched this tonight and it actually wasn't bad at all. It's a 100% medical procedural, but it looks like it will be really character-driven. I know the show is shot entirely in Toronto, Ontario and I was really impressed with the set design. The base really looked like it was in the Middle East and some of the exterior shots with the military choppers were pretty impressive.

I know Deborah Kara Unger is Canadian, but I wasn't sure if her character was. I thought she was speaking with an British accent.

I'm a fan of Michelle Borth and I'm glad she finally got a chance to be a lead of a series, even though this is a low budget Canadian drama.
Old 06-23-11, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk God

http://twitter.com/#!/michelleborth

Michelle Borth tweeted tonight that over 2M watched on Global TV in Canada, making it the #1 new drama in Canada. I believe 2M viewers is actually considered damn good for Canada. 5.2M watched on ABC.
Old 06-23-11, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I know Deborah Kara Unger is Canadian, but I wasn't sure if her character was. I thought she was speaking with an British accent.
According to wikipedia, the character is Australian, fwiw.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combat_Hospital