Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Season 7 news, previews, etc.

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Season 7 of "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" doesn't start until September, but I thought it'd be a good idea to have a thread where we can discuss announced guest stars, storylines, etc. and post the inevitable preview videos.

Some divulged details and...ahem...big news:

‘It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia’ Season 7 Preview
Wednesday, June 15 by Penn Collins

Frank: This is dark.

Dennis: Darkest thing we have ever done.

On my visit yesterday to the set of “It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia,” those were the first lines uttered in the first scene that I observed. As they filmed the episode, the lines were repeated take after take. As a journalist reporting on the show, it’s hard to shake “dark” as my first impression of the upcoming seventh season.

While the cast agreed that the upcoming season’s premiere (on a date TBD in September) was indeed a darker season than some previous, they were not inclined to share specifics. In short order, however, Rob McElhenney was willing to divulge the themes of several episodes, “We’re doing an episode that would be the realistic version of Pretty Woman,” to which he added, in case it was unclear how this played out, “Frank proposes to a prostitute.” So there’s that.

If that’s too crass for your tastes, McElhenney quickly followed up with, “We have one with a child beauty pageant.” The entire cast was extremely forthright with topics for the upcoming season without managing to spoil the surprises. For instance, in a season two look-ahead, they had offered up that Charlie gets into an accident and ends up in a wheelchair without so much as shedding a ray of light on the fact that he becomes Tom Cruise from Born on the Fourth of July while screaming “VIET-GODDAMN-NAM IS WHAT HAPPENED!” So what the beauty pageant entails is anyone’s guess. The only assurance is that it will be conducted with the quiet dignity for which “Sunny” is known.

And, lest you believe the show remains rooted in the secular world, Charlie Day offered assurances that the gang will get philosophical, conveying, “With 2012 coming up, we’re gonna be tackling the apocalypse.” He ominously offered no further details.

The most significant breakthrough of season seven won’t be the end of days or Frank whoring around (again), but something far more unlikely. The gang gets out of Philadelphia. But not too far. They get to the Jersey shore. (The fact that I initially felt compelled to capitalize the “s” in “shore” makes me hate myself.)

“We worked very hard to create an episode” said Glenn Howerton. “That is not an episode about the people from the Jersey Shore.” When asked if that meant that Dennis would not be donning a spray tan,” he responded, “I’m not saying I won’t have a fake tan, while Kaitlin Olson fired back, “Don’t put words in our mouth.”

While the group agreed to keep at least one big guest star (“Pretty famous guy,” giggled Day. “Rhymes with ‘Osama’.”) close to the vest, they offered up season seven appearances by “The Wire” and “Fringe” star Lance Reddick, Jason Sudekis reprising his role from last year, and Coen brothers staple Jon Polito playing Frank’s brother. Click here and you’ll see why.

We’ll also see a little more from The Waitress (Mary Elizabeth Ellis) than we did last season, which means we can also enjoy seeing more emotional trauma for Charlie. And because their guest stars are seemingly determined by a monkey at a dart board (remember Sinbad and Rob Thomas?), a visit will also be paid by no less than the Kings of Leon. Despite the band’s very public rift with Glee creator Ryan Murphy, Howerton said of their appearance, “Ironically enough, the episode that they’re in ends up being quite ‘Glee’-esque.” Color me curious. McElhenney added ”They’re not huge fans of ‘Glee’, but they’re huge fans of ‘Sunny’.”

While the set visit and the discussion of the episodes touched on some dark topics, the underlying message during the interview, seemed to be “more of the same.” Which, if you’re a “Sunny” fan thus far, is all the good news you’ll really need to get excited for season seven.

But in case it’s not, there’s also this: Rob McElhenney gained fifty pounds to play Mac this season. Why? For the sheer comedy of playing his character as a fat guy. “It’s been disgusting to watch him go through with this adventure,” said Charlie Day. “We were a little on the fence about it for his own personal health and safety,” he added, “but it has definitely made Mac a lot funnier.”

See ya in September.
http://www.screenjunkies.com/tv/tv-n...son-7-preview/

Now, that's commitment to comedy. Mac as a fat guy? That is going to be GREAT.
Old 06-16-11, 06:26 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Season 7 news, previews, etc.

any interviews anywhere of the cast talking about their thoughts on the Vancouver Canucks stealing the Green Man?
Old 06-16-11, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, last season sucked. I've been a fan of It's Always Sunny from the start, but it was such a tremendous letdown. They really need to step it up this season. Personally though, I'm much more excited for Season 3 of The League. In fact, since you started this thread I think I'll start a thread for The League!

We’ll also see a little more from The Waitress (Mary Elizabeth Ellis) than we did last season
That's not surprising considering her show got canceled, lol.

But in case it’s not, there’s also this: Rob McElhenney gained fifty pounds to play Mac this season. Why? For the sheer comedy of playing his character as a fat guy. “It’s been disgusting to watch him go through with this adventure,” said Charlie Day. “We were a little on the fence about it for his own personal health and safety,” he added, “but it has definitely made Mac a lot funnier."
Weird. Dunno what to make of that really.
Old 06-16-11, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the last contracted season, right?

They didn't talk in that piece about wrapping it up, so whether it continues I guess will be settled after the season.
Old 06-16-11, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, last season was pretty bad and "The League" was much funnier and more consistent, but it's still "Sunny". I can't hate on it too much.

Here are some recent pics of Rob:

He's definitely put on some pounds, but I don't know about 50. These were taken in April, though, so he could be at that point by now.
Old 06-16-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I imagine there will be a storyline that involves Mac thinking he's gained muscle, but really it's just him gaining weight.
Old 06-16-11, 07:03 PM

People tend to say last season was bad, I disagree. Not that it was Sunny good but come on, it was still leaps and bounds better than most of what's on TV. It was the weakest season but that doesn't make it bad.

My hope is that with Rob having a baby on the way that it distracted him a bit, hence the season not being up to normal sunny standards. Heres hoping this season let's them reclaim their crown as funniest show on tv.
Old 06-16-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by takingchase
People tend to say last season was bad, I disagree. Not that it was Sunny good but come on, it was still leaps and bounds better than most of what's on TV. It was the weakest season but that doesn't make it bad.
Eh, I'd disagree that it was leaps and bounds better than most of what else was on TV. Maybe it was better than Running Wilde and Perfect Couples, but for the most part this latest television season was a great one for comedies with The League, Parks And Recreation, Workaholics, Modern Family, Raising Hope, and Community; all of those were shows that were consistently better. Even The Office, which had hit a bit of slump itself, I think was on the whole a much better show last season.

That's not to say there weren't good episodes, but most of the season just felt like a real letdown and I think there were much better shows out there, and not just better by a small margin.

---

But back on topic, I hope this season gets the show back on track, because up until Season 6 the show was pretty much an unstoppable comedic force.
Old 06-16-11, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Meh, I still love it as much as I always have. I, for one, can't wait for new episodes.
Old 06-16-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I'd have liked last season of Sunny more if it wasn't shown back to back with the League.
Old 06-16-11, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I think I'd have liked last season of Sunny more if it wasn't shown back to back with the League.
That's actually a really good point. While most episodes of Sunny last season left me sorta "meh" by the end of the episode, once The League came on I realized just how unfunny that episode of Sunny was by comparison.
Old 06-16-11, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen
Eh, I'd disagree that it was leaps and bounds better than most of what else was on TV. Maybe it was better than Running Wilde and Perfect Couples, but for the most part this latest television season was a great one for comedies with The League, Parks And Recreation, Workaholics, Modern Family, Raising Hope, and Community; all of those were shows that were consistently better. Even The Office, which had hit a bit of slump itself, I think was on the whole a much better show last season.

That's not to say there weren't good episodes, but most of the season just felt like a real letdown and I think there were much better shows out there, and not just better by a small margin.

---

But back on topic, I hope this season gets the show back on track, because up until Season 6 the show was pretty much an unstoppable comedic force.
Hence why I said most, not all. I'll agree with some of those, not all though. I still think every one is getting a bad taste because it's nowhere near comparable. I got a few of my friends to watch it this season for the first time and they all thought it was hilarious since they didn't really have any of the funnier seasons to reference it.

Sure there were shows better than it but to say that it was flat out bad, well that's just crazy.
Old 06-16-11, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob McElhenney gained fifty pounds to play Mac this season.
I smell an Emmy!
Old 06-17-11, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The biggest problem with Sunny last season didn't feel like Sunny, it was very very tame and just kind of "okay". That isn't the Sunny I know and love. Charlie and Dee were on point, the rest of the crew felt tremendously off.
Old 06-17-11, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

I wasn't let down last season. As long as it never again sinks to "Who Pooped The Bad"-awful, I'm fine.
Old 06-17-11, 03:07 AM
Banned

I hope we can get through the next few posts in this thread without someone mentioning The League.
Old 06-17-11, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who pooped the bed was awesome!
Old 06-17-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't think last season was AS good, some stinkers in there(haha!). Wasn't the one where they set up Charlie's profile and him going on that date from season 6? That's one of my favorites. I literally fell out of my chair at one point. Seems weird this is going to be season 7....just doesn't seem like it's been that long to me. That's as long(almost?) a run as the Office right? I like the Office but it seems like that shows been on forever.
Old 06-17-11, 10:08 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

last season was definitely a chore to watch at times...
Old 06-17-11, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm still laughing about Lethal Weapon 5
Old 06-17-11, 11:05 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Last season was hit-and-miss. Looking forward to its return though -- fat Mac should be great
Old 06-17-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
I imagine there will be a storyline that involves Mac thinking he's gained muscle, but really it's just him gaining weight.
You sacrifice flexibility when you pack on mass. That's just a fact bro.
Old 06-17-11, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cleaver
I'm still laughing about Lethal Weapon 5
me too... it wasnt a horrible season like many think... the episode where Dee accidentally throws the urine on Mac was hilarious... and the threads show that...
Old 06-17-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shady12
Wasn't the one where they set up Charlie's profile and him going on that date from season 6? That's one of my favorites. I literally fell out of my chair at one point.
That's a hilarious episode, but it's from Season 5.

Originally Posted by lewisb73
me too... it wasnt a horrible season like many think... the episode where Dee accidentally throws the urine on Mac was hilarious... and the threads show that...
Are you talking about the episode where Dee pees into the jar and throws it out the window, where it then flies into Mac's face? If so, that's also from Season 5.
Old 06-17-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Yeah the "I'm a full-on-rapist!" episode was Season 5 (s05e05), as was the road trip (s05e02).

You could tell the difference in quality too as the season finale for Season 6 was the Christmas episode from Season 5, drastic difference there. That said, Sunny is a little different each season, 6 was just felt off.

Season 5 (2009)
1. The Gang Exploits the Mortgage Crisis
2. The Gang Hits the Road
3. The Great Recession
4. The Gang Gives Frank an Intervention
5. The Waitress is Getting Married
6. The World Series Defense
7. The Gang Wrestles for the Troops
8. Paddy's Pub: Hom of the Original Kitten Mittens
9. Mac and Dennis Break Up
10. The D.E.N.N.I.S. System
11. Mac and Charlie Write a Movie
12. The Gang Reignites the Rivalry

Season 6 (2010)
1. Mac Fights Gay Marriage
2. Dennis Gets Divorced
3. The Gang Buys a Boat
4. Mac's Big Break
5. Mac and Charlie: White Trash
6. Mac's Mom Burns Her House Down
7. Who Got Dee Pregnant?
8. The Gang Gets a New Member
9. Dee Reynolds: Shaping America's Youth
10. Charlie Kelly: King of the Rats
11. The Gang Gets Stranded in the Woods
12. Dee Gives Birth
13. A Very Sunny Christmas

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ltqssfzVyrw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by RichC2; 06-17-11 at 01:48 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.