The Nine Lives of Chloe King

Old 06-16-11, 06:40 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The Nine Lives of Chloe King

Anyone catch the first episode ?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499400/

Tagline:
Chloe King's new life started on the day she died.
Plot:
A girl with special powers is being hunted by an assassin.
Old 06-16-11, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Nine Lives of Chloe King

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Anyone catch the first episode ?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0499400/

Tagline:
Chloe King's new life started on the day she died.
Plot:
A girl with special powers is being hunted by an assassin.

My wife DVR'd it.. I hadn't heard of it. Any good?
Old 06-16-11, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 95 Posts

I intended to, but had a DVR conflict. I looked last night, but it wasn't put up On Demand yet.
Old 06-16-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The pilot is scheduled to be re-shown Friday at 6:00 pm ET and next Tuesday at 6:00 pm ET.

(BTW: Since theres no thread for this show - I'll post this info here -If you missed either
the first episode or second episode or both of "Switched At Birth" - they will be re-shown
this afternoon starting at 4:00 pm ET - right before the re-air of the pilot of "TNLOCK".)

I enjoyed it - looks like its going to be a "Buffy/Dark Angel" type of show - although on the lite side.

LB...

Last edited by LaxBandit; 06-17-11 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-16-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I DVR'd the pilot out of curiosity (sometimes I like ABC Family (Greek/Kyle XY/Pretty Little Liars) and sometimes I hate them (Secret Life/Make it or Break it)) and it wasn't that bad. I had low expecations but it was probably on the same level as "Kyle XY" in terms of budget, effects, acting etc.
Old 06-19-11, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I DVR'd the pilot out of curiosity (sometimes I like ABC Family (Greek/Kyle XY/Pretty Little Liars) and sometimes I hate them (Secret Life/Make it or Break it)) and it wasn't that bad. I had low expecations but it was probably on the same level as "Kyle XY" in terms of budget, effects, acting etc.
i am sorry to hear this. In addition to being a great showcase to look at Francesca Raisa's amazing ass, you can play a drinking game and take a shot whenever they say "sex". If you want a lighter buzz, limit it to "oral sex"

"we had oral sex. oral sex? oral sex. where did you have oral sex? in the bathroom, we had oral sex in the bathroom. why did you have oral sex in the bathroom? where else do you have oral sex? we have oral sex in the bedroom or a car. " at that point i usually am so drunk i cannot hold on to the earth any more and begin slipping off the edge.
Old 06-19-11, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, nothing like this has ever been done before by Joss Whedon.

OK show, not great. We'll see where it goes.

Originally Posted by critterdvd
I DVR'd the pilot out of curiosity (sometimes I like ABC Family (Greek/Kyle XY/Pretty Little Liars) and sometimes I hate them (Secret Life/Make it or Break it)) and it wasn't that bad. I had low expectations but it was probably on the same level as "Kyle XY" in terms of budget, effects, acting etc.
Greek was pretty good, PLL is pretty good. I liked Make It or Break It a lot until I got sick of the drama (I do still watch it). Secret Life started out OK and just went downhill from there. The acting on Secret Life is awful and the dialogue is beyond awful. ... and the theme song/opening credits is putrid.
Old 06-20-11, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched the first half earlier in the week and didn't like it very much, but finished it this weekend and liked the second half better. Not a lot better, but some.
The dialogue was pretty bad, but the mythology stuff could end up being interesting. I'll give it another episode or so and see if it improves.
Old 06-20-11, 02:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nth Power
I watched the first half earlier in the week and didn't like it very much, but finished it this weekend and liked the second half better.
Same here. My problem was I didn't think they represented the main character very well in the opening scenes, and it wasn't until about 15-20 minutes into it that I realized Chloe was supposed to be this shy, sorta-nerdy girl.
Old 06-21-11, 01:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts

Awful pilot with a very goofy mythology. I am surprised ABC Family let such an unpolished show on the air. Casting might be the only thing that saves the show, but expect a lot of bad scripts from it, ala Smallville, if the writing on the first episode was any indication.
Old 06-21-11, 09:31 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I can't see this one lasting past a full Season. At least they found a hit with Switched at Birth.
Old 06-21-11, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,626 Likes on 2,603 Posts

I just finished watching the Pilot and I kind of liked it.

Chloe was really annoying in the beginning, but once she learned about her past, I thought the story actually got more interesting. I have to admit the 9 Lives/Ancient Cat people mythology that Phantom brought up is a little goofy.

It does help that they cast Amy Pietz as the mother.
Old 06-23-11, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
I just finished watching the Pilot and I kind of liked it.

Chloe was really annoying in the beginning, but once she learned about her past, I thought the story actually got more interesting. I have to admit the 9 Lives/Ancient Cat people mythology that Phantom brought up is a little goofy.

It does help that they cast Amy Pietz as the mother.
I'm pretty much in agreement with you.

The two things I thought brought it down the most were the scene when they are confronting her outside the dead guys place. It was a combination of weak acting (mostly wooden) and bad directing. People were just awkwardly standing around, and I think a close up shot would have worked much better. The entire sequence just felt out of place relative to the rest of the episode until that point. Also, her female friend has to go. She's annoying and not even rational. I see all these people getting beat up who clearly know what they're doing, so I'll run over and hit him on the head with a quip!

Aside from that I thought the underlying mythology proves for an interesting story to build upon. I also thought the overall tone and pacing was done well and moved things along. Should be interesting to see how the relationship with the new kid in town plays out since his father is apparently behind getting rid of Chloe. I especially liked how they ended on a bit of a cliffhanger with the note from her dad.
Old 09-15-11, 09:03 PM
Suspended

Canceled:

UPDATED: I hear that ABC Family has canceled freshman drama The Nine Lives of Chloe King after one season, while giving back 12 order to another freshman, The Lying Game. Both are based on Alloy books and have been softy in the ratings. Nine Lives opened low in June with 2.2 million viewers. The Lying Game launched last month with 1.4 million viewers. ABC family’s breakout summer hit, Switched at Birth, has been renewed for a second season.
Old 09-16-11, 06:07 AM

Why would ABC Family cancel a show with 2.2 million viewers in order to produce more episodes of a show with 1.4 million viewers?
Old 09-16-11, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That is the launch number. The final number was half that.
Old 09-16-11, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

The season/series finale only had 1.078m viewers w/ an 18 - 49 of 0.3 (though I think their key demo is 12 - 34).

The latest episode of The Lying Game pulled 1.35m viewers and a 0.4 18 - 49 (0.89 @ 12 - 34)

Both of these shows cost actual money to produce so neither is doing great... they pull fewer viewers than a standard episode of House Hunters International.
Old 09-16-11, 09:26 AM
Suspended

Chloe aired after PPL...Lying Game aired after secret Life (and now by itself). It's holding up far better compared to Chloe.
Old 09-16-11, 10:39 PM

I gave up about halfway through Chloe King. My need for teenaged melodrama is strong, but not that strong.
Old 01-10-12, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I only watched a few episodes before this was cancelled. A friend said it got better, but I didn't want to be left with the cliffhanger. However, potential good news.

The supernatural ABC Family series from last summer might be getting a brief reprieve from cancellation — ABC Family president Michael Reilly announced at TCA that they were close to going ahead with a TV movie follow-up to the show.