Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

Pages : [1] 2

dolphinboy
06-15-11, 09:09 PM
With the BB sales and coupons, I picked up all 3 seasons on Blu yesterday for about $40. We really didn't want to add any new shows to our schedule, but we just keep hearing how this show is the best show on tv, so for a great price, I just decided we needed to try.

We're 3 episodes in and we're not impressed so far. Does that not bode well for us liking it as it keeps going? Or does it start a little slowly and/or take time to really get into?

We liked The Walking Dead better after 3 episodes, same with The Killing, and Mad Men hooked us after the first episode. So, considering that most people would probably say Breaking Bad is BETTER than all 3 of those shows, I'm kind of nervous.

It's kind of boring so far, we don't really like anyone that much (although after the 3 eps we've watched, Jesse would be our favorite character), and we don't feel after each episode a real strong desire to get to the next show, the way we usually do, especially when watching an entire season when it's on disc already and you don't need to wait a week.

What are we missing? Will this get better or are were all of you fans/addicted to the show by episode 3?

Thanks.

conscience
06-15-11, 09:17 PM
Keep going. It gets better and better. The first season was a good setup for the next two seasons.

xVladx
06-15-11, 09:22 PM
Disclaimer: Breaking Bad is currently my favorite show currently airing, and if it keeps up at its current pace, will be replacing The Shield as my favorite show of all time.

With that said, I don't know what to say...

If you didn't like it after the first three episodes, I really don't know if you're going to.

Personally, I was hooked after the end of the second episode. I'm really surprised that you wouldn't be interested after what happens at the end of episode three.

Here's the thing, season one has a kind of parabolic intensity curve. The first three episodes are VERY eventful. Lots of stuff happens in the first the first episode, and the next two are spent cleaning up after the fallout from the Pilot.

The next two episodes slow things WAY down (and that's where I was expecting you to have lost interest when I saw the thread topic), but in a good way. They allow the characters to react to the events so far without new stuff being dumped in their lap. After that, the last two episodes really ramp back up to the intensity of the first three.

What baffles me is that you said you were bored watching the first three episodes? How?

david12
06-15-11, 09:23 PM
I was about to ask if Breaking Bad will ever be bad.

I came to the show late in the game as well, but love it. It has some of the most tense moments of any television show I've ever seen and you'll find yourself hooked pretty soon. But honestly, if you were not hooked by the first scene with Walt in his undies...

dolphinboy
06-15-11, 09:41 PM
Disclaimer: Breaking Bad is currently my favorite show currently airing, and if it keeps up at its current pace, will be replacing The Shield as my favorite show of all time.

If you didn't like it after the first three episodes, I really don't know if you're going to.

Personally, I was hooked after the end of the second episode. I'm really surprised that you wouldn't be interested after what happens at the end of episode three.

Here's the thing, season one has a kind of parabolic intensity curve. The first three episodes are VERY eventful. Lots of stuff happens in the first the first episode, and the next two are spent cleaning up after the fallout from the Pilot.

The next two episodes slow things WAY down (and that's where I was expecting you to have lost interest when I saw the thread topic), but in a good way. They allow the characters to react to the events so far without new stuff being dumped in their lap. After that, the last two episodes really ramp back up to the intensity of the first three.

What baffles me is that you said you were bored watching the first three episodes? How?

Well, it's not like we hate it either. We just don't really feel like we care about anyone or anything YET. Yes, the last bit of 3 got going more, but it's difficult to explain why you don't feel a connection to something. But it's usually the characters. With all the faults in the Killing, we both really liked Holder and Linden right away. Nothing like that has happened and, so far, it's not like there's been a lot of other characters.

It was like they spent 2 entire episodes dealing with what to do with those 2 guys and, even then, the final decision was made when Walter really didn't have a choice, because it was going to be him or the other guy, so he finally did what I thought needed to be done earlier. Walter didn't wait long to decide to be a meth dealer, but then he agonized for so long about something that seemed like a no-brainer. I know it's not easy if it's not in your nature, but he had no choice, which never changed from the moment he realized the guy was alive and, honestly, it would have been "easier" to do it when the guy was still more out of it, instead of letting him get better and better.

Meanwhile, almost nothing else is happening.

Geofferson
06-15-11, 09:41 PM
BB is currently my favorite show and quite close to being my favorite show of all-time. Season 1 is 7 episodes long I believe -- although the arc doesn't wrap up until early in season 2 (due to the writer's strike at the time).

I must admit I'm a bit surprised you are not liking it after 3 episodes. I'm trying to recall how I felt after the first few episodes. Either way, I strongly encourage you to stick with it. :)

Fist of Doom
06-15-11, 09:42 PM
What are we missing? Will this get better or are were all of you fans/addicted to the show by episode 3?

I was hooked with the pilot. I'd say at least watch the first season, since it's short. Things get pretty crazy near the end. If you're still bored after that, then I don't think you'll like the show.

Deftones
06-15-11, 09:45 PM
Does it ever get good? It gets phenomenal.

aktick
06-15-11, 10:07 PM

Damn right it does.

RichC2
06-15-11, 10:10 PM
Probably not for you, I thought it started off phenomenally. No show is for everybody.

Ravenous
06-15-11, 10:37 PM
Im 99.9% sure this is a bullshit thread meant to get a rise out of people...

Mike86
06-16-11, 12:02 AM
This is by far one of the best shows on television right now. Keep watching and hopefully you start enjoying it more. I was basically hooked by the end of episode one when I watched it and made it through the first season in about two days (I came late to the show and watched it on DVD).

Gunde
06-16-11, 01:49 AM
I really don't get how you can say it's boring, but 'Mad Men' hooked you from episode 1.
IMO 'Mad Men' was excruciatingly boring for most of season 1.

To each his own I guess but like Fist of Doom said, at least finish the first season. It's only 7 episodes and if you aren't hooked by the season finale, you never will be.

Throwing Copper
06-16-11, 03:56 AM
You bought the fucking thing on Blu ray for 3 seasons having never watched an episode.

I say give up and sell me the 3 seasons for a fair price. I already own Season 3 on Blu ray but will happily take 1 & 2 off your hands.

Dragon Tattoo
06-16-11, 04:12 AM

Yeah, I mean, one of the OP's arguments for not liking the show seems to be the fact that Walter (who up until this point was a SCIENCE TEACHER) took too long to murder someone in cold blood (I mean, wtf?).

I hate when people act like killing someone in a TV show should be some flippant response to a problem, as if it most in real life could do it at will.

Just sell the show on eBay or something. It's clearly not for you.

kstublen
06-16-11, 06:56 AM
We liked The Walking Dead better after 3 episodes, same with The Killing, and Mad Men hooked us after the first episode. So, considering that most people would probably say Breaking Bad is BETTER than all 3 of those shows, I'm kind of nervous.

rotfl

The Walking Dead and The Killing pale in comparison to Breaking Bad. If this thread is serious though, then I'd say just quit while you're ahead. If you don't like it after three episodes, you're never going to like it.

I'll take the Blu-rays off your hands too, since I only have the first two seasons on DVD.

JayDerek
06-16-11, 08:14 AM

I agree - this doesn't make any sense.

(and if this is real, why the @#$% are you blind buying three seasons of a TV show??)

FantasticVSDoom
06-16-11, 08:15 AM

:up: 100% agree...

If this isnt a troll thread then yeah have to agree that maybe this just isnt your show because it grabbed me from the beginning. And Ill admit to saying many times before watching that this show cant be as good as everyone says, and I couldnt have been more wrong.

Tracer Bullet
06-16-11, 08:21 AM
I'm sorry, the mention of The Walking Dead and The Killing makes this some sort of weird AMC-apologist troll thread.

dino88
06-16-11, 08:49 AM
I honestly don't think he's trying to troll. I can understand blind buying a series that he's repeatedly heard is one of the best shows on television, especially for such a great price.

He's just not feeling it yet. His expectations were probably set very high and the series just hasn't met those expectations yet. There's a possibility that he won't like the show in the end, but I have a feeling he'll end up loving it like the rest of us if he just sticks with it. I wasn't too high on the first season when it aired. I thought the guy playing Tuco did a terrible job and it ruined some episodes for me. It wasn't until the second season that I fell in love with the show and now I can say without a doubt that it's one of my favorite television shows of all time (top 5, maybe 3).

There is one complaint that does stick out though. There's no way you can call the first 3 episodes boring and then go on to praise The Killing and Mad Men. Breaking Bad is the last one of that bunch that could ever be called boring.

starseed1981
06-16-11, 09:05 AM
With the BB sales and coupons, I picked up all 3 seasons on Blu yesterday for about $40. We really didn't want to add any new shows to our schedule, but we just keep hearing how this show is the best show on tv, so for a great price, I just decided we needed to try.

We're 3 episodes in and we're not impressed so far. Does that not bode well for us liking it as it keeps going? Or does it start a little slowly and/or take time to really get into?

It's kind of boring so far, we don't really like anyone that much (although after the 3 eps we've watched, Jesse would be our favorite character), and we don't feel after each episode a real strong desire to get to the next show, the way we usually do, especially when watching an entire season when it's on disc already and you don't need to wait a week.

Thanks.

In your opinion what is good TV? Now that FNL is off the air I consider this the best show on TV.

superdeluxe
06-16-11, 09:12 AM
Some shows are just not for some people, I am enjoying how several are thinking that this is a troll post because someone hasn't gotten into a show by the 3rd episode? Some shows are slow burns and take awhile to get into, it doesn't mean they are trying to troll around.

andicus
06-16-11, 09:26 AM
I agree - this doesn't make any sense.

(and if this is real, why the @#$% are you blind buying three seasons of a TV show??)

I blind bought the first 3 season of Mad Men on blu-ray when Amazon had it for $10/season. Same thing with the UK Office. :shrug:

Fortunately, I absolutely loved both of them.

As for Breaking Bad, I can't understand someone finding it boring, but it's definitely not a show for everyone. I was hooked after the first episode.

slop101
06-16-11, 09:33 AM
We liked The Walking Dead better after 3 episodes, same with The Killing, and Mad Men hooked us after the first episode. So, considering that most people would probably say Breaking Bad is BETTER than all 3 of those shows, I'm kind of nervous.This:rotflI like Mad Men better than BB, but BB just shits all over both Walking Dead and The Killing, I'm talking massive heaps of steaming turd - they're filthy with how much better Breaking Bad is than they are, and they're jealous.

ElementZ
06-16-11, 09:36 AM
Funny...wifey and I just started watching this on Sunday and got thru the first two EP's and loved it. Can't wait to catch up with the rest..

RichC2
06-16-11, 09:37 AM
The one thing people seem to ignore the fact that Breaking Bad is perhaps AMCs lowest rated show. That proves more than anything that it isn't for everybody, and whats worse is Half-Measure was the least watched episode of Season 3.

(Fly was 2nd least watched, the phenomenal One Minute was the 3rd least watched.)

mdc3000
06-16-11, 09:40 AM
I'm not too surprised to hear this - when I was watching season 1, I watched the first two episodes live, thought it was decent but not amazing and wasn't in a hurry to keep up with it. Then just a few months later, I decided to watch all the eps I had on the dvr and by the end of season 1, I was all in.... since then it has pretty much been my favourite show and people I know are starting to resent me for talking about it so much. I feel like one of those people who will never shut up about the brilliance of "The Wire", while everyone else couldn't care less ;) So in short, finish out season 1 - if you aren't hooked by then, give up.

scorpion
06-16-11, 09:55 AM

This.

I know people have different tastes, but this show is phenomenal.

takingchase
06-16-11, 10:09 AM
I'm calling bullshit but only because he was bored by this but hooked by the first episode of Mad Men. I can understand it not being to someones tastes but that just makes no damn sense.

Dragon Tattoo
06-16-11, 10:47 AM
I'm calling bullshit but only because he was bored by this but hooked by the first episode of Mad Men. I can understand it not being to someones tastes but that just makes no damn sense.

Well, I mean, was Joan in the first episode of Mad Men? Cause if so, I could kind of understand...

Shady12
06-16-11, 12:03 PM
Hmm, I was hooked from the first scene..hell, the first SHOT of the series.

bluetoast
06-16-11, 12:21 PM
I was hooked on this show since I first saw episode 1 last year. For comparison, my all time favorite shows (that have ended) are The Shield, The Wire, Deadwood and Oz.

Right now only Mad Men and Breaking Bad can approach them. Dexter is good, but distant.

Apple Gooncha
06-16-11, 12:21 PM
This is a show that hooked me almost immediately. I think by the time I was 3 episodes in I was in love with it. It may just be something that isn't for you, and even though I like Mad Men even a little more than Breaking Bad, I'm pretty amazed that the first episode of MM hooked you and BB didn't. Mad Men took a little bit of time for me to appreciate, personally.

RichC2
06-16-11, 12:28 PM
There was a lady who blogged her adventure through Breaking Bad - she didn't care for seasons 1 or 2 all that much but got through them. Around half way through S3 she got herself hooked on it.

That's a long way to go to start appreciating something.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2010/06/breaking-bad.html

Double_Oh_7
06-16-11, 12:53 PM
You should know it only gets darker as you get into seasons 2 and 3, so it just may not be for you. For me, I consider it one of the best TV shows ever.

dolphinboy
06-16-11, 01:49 PM
Thanks to the few people who actually were kind enough to allow me to have my opinion, not call me an idiot, and a troll, etc. (special thanks to Dino).

I've been around here for a decade and this is the first time I've been come after by a mob with pitchforks in the TV forum, despite other times of not agreeing with the majority or having the same feelings about something as another poster. And I've never been called a troll, so that's a first.

I hope no one takes any offense to me not adding any additional comments, because it seems clear they won't be accepted as valid by most of you.

malichai
06-16-11, 02:03 PM
Hey, dolphinboy, I felt the same way you did after 3 episodes and I also quit watching and never looked back. Not everything is for everyone. No matter the quality of the show, I found it far too bleak and depressing to start, and not compelling enough to make up for how black the show was.

Navinabob
06-16-11, 02:08 PM
Thanks to the few people who actually were kind enough to allow me to have my opinion, not call me an idiot, and a troll, etc. (special thanks to Dino).

I've been around here for a decade and this is the first time I've been come after by a mob with pitchforks in the TV forum, despite other times of not agreeing with the majority or having the same feelings about something as another poster. And I've never been called a troll, so that's a first.

I hope no one takes any offense to me not adding any additional comments, because it seems clear they won't be accepted as valid by most of you.

Most of the replies are "Yes, it gets better. I love the show" or "I got hooked right away."

I also don't think rating = quality. It is a hard show to just jump on, especially when most of the shows on TV you can without any effort. Just because a channel surfer is more likely to stop on WipeOut, it does not mean it is a superior show... only more accessible. The high critical reviews and awards are a better barometer.

superdeluxe
06-16-11, 04:12 PM
I've been around here for a decade and this is the first time I've been come after by a mob with pitchforks in the TV forum, .

Say Iron man is better than The Dark Knight, Or say something bad about arrested development or Buffy, and you will have collective masses crush your soul

Raul3
06-16-11, 04:14 PM
The responses should tell you what kind of ardent fans the show has. ;)

If you already have the 3 seasons and you are not bored, it doesn't fill your expectations, I get that, just try to watch it. I loved it from the first episode and right now if I could marry the show I would do it. So you may feel that the show is so so right now, maybe by the third season you'll like.

Just saying.

redrum
06-16-11, 05:35 PM
Is Osama Bin Laden dead?

anomynous
06-16-11, 05:48 PM
Best show on TV, so it's a troll thread. It has to be.

mwbmis
06-16-11, 06:35 PM
Dolphinboy doesn't troll.

My two cents...

While I enjoyed season one, I thought seasons two and three were definitely in the conversation for the "best show on TV". I think Hank becoming a more three dimensional character helps.

bootsy
06-16-11, 08:13 PM
You bought the fucking thing on Blu ray for 3 seasons having never watched an episode.

I say give up and sell me the 3 seasons for a fair price. I already own Season 3 on Blu ray but will happily take 1 & 2 off your hands.

It's not that crazy. I did this with the Wire. Bought the box set on DVD having never watched an episode. One of the best purchases I've ever made.

wirefan
06-16-11, 08:51 PM
I don't get why people who express a minority opinion are just assumed to be trolling... dolphinboy has a huge # of posts here and I assume he's trying to get an honest take on whether it's worth investing at least a few more hours into the show before dropping it.

It also took me a few episodes to get into the show... while I didn't think it was boring I wasn't liking the Walter character early on either and thought his transformation was too fast. Season 1 got better as it went on and seasons 2 and 3 were significantly better.

I don't agree with the mob here that says if you don't like the first few, the show isn't for you. I'd say give it 5 or 6 shows and if you think it's getting better you'll probably like it as seasons 2 and 3 get even better. For me episode 6 (Tuco) was where the show really started to take off - I'd say you should at least give it until that show.

xVladx
06-16-11, 09:20 PM
I don't get why people who express a minority opinion are just assumed to be trolling... dolphinboy has a huge # of posts here and I assume he's trying to get an honest take on whether it's worth investing at least a few more hours into the show before dropping it.

The sad truth is that you never know who's trolling and who isn't, so I think everybody always has a sliver of doubt whenever someone comes up with such a vastly dissenting opinion. I don't actually think he's trolling, but I can see how people might reach that opinion.

I think it's mainly the claim that the first three episodes are boring. Over the course of these episodes, the main character started out as a repressed high school teacher with a pretty normal life and over the course of three episodes, he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, started cooking meth, and killed two people and disposed of the bodies. That's a lot of stuff to happen over three episodes of television. The funny thing is that when the episodes first aired, people were complaining that episodes 4 and 5 were too boring after the eventful first episodes, so it's just a little surprising to hear someone call the first three episodes dull.

Now, he did say that he didn't like how all the time was spent dealing with Emilio and Krazy 8, but that's just how the show is. It has a very deliberate pace and really takes the time to show the consequences of certain actions. That's one of the things that really got me hooked on the show early on. I remember being absolutely floored (in a good way) that the show was actually spending so much time on the Emilio/K8 situation, really showing that it wasn't an easy decision to take a life/dispose of a body.

takingchase
06-16-11, 09:23 PM

It also took me a few episodes to get into the show... while I didn't think it was boring I wasn't liking the Walter character early on either and thought his transformation was too fast. Season 1 got better as it went on and seasons 2 and 3 were significantly better.

I don't agree with the mob here that says if you don't like the first few, the show isn't for you. I'd say give it 5 or 6 shows and if you think it's getting better you'll probably like it as seasons 2 and 3 get even better. For me episode 6 (Tuco) was where the show really started to take off - I'd say you should at least give it until that show.

Well like I said, I can certainly understand if the show isn't someones cup of tea. My reason for thinking of trolling is I just cannot see how the first episode of Mad Men got you hooked and yet you think the first of Breaking Bad is boring. I just can't see that. Mad Men is a great show but it takes awhile to get going.

And blind buying 3 seasons is nuts. I've blind bought 1 season but that's all, I would never get more than 1 to try not knowing if I'll like it or not.

Supermallet
06-16-11, 09:28 PM
I came into the show similarly to the OP. I had heard about the show, and one of my friends said it was the best show on TV, so I finally tried it out from Netflix.

At first I was not impressed. In fact, I was shocked at the praise the show got. The characters were self-centered or self-deluded, and the subplot about the sister in law stealing felt shoehorned in just to add more drama. But somewhere halfway through season one, things turned around, and seasons two and three are absolutely stellar.

Stick with it through the first few episodes of season two. If you don't like it by then, you won't like it at all.

Also, The Walking Dead started off well but descended into pure and utter crap. The final episode was sickeningly bad.

takingchase
06-16-11, 09:35 PM
I came into the show similarly to the OP. I had heard about the show, and one of my friends said it was the best show on TV, so I finally tried it out from Netflix.

At first I was not impressed. In fact, I was shocked at the praise the show got. The characters were self-centered or self-deluded, and the subplot about the sister in law stealing felt shoehorned in just to add more drama. But somewhere halfway through season one, things turned around, and seasons two and three are absolutely stellar.

Stick with it through the first few episodes of season two. If you don't like it by then, you won't like it at all.

Also, The Walking Dead started off well but descended into pure and utter crap. The final episode was sickeningly bad.

Yeah, I was all kinds of in love with that first episode but everything after just got worse and worse to the point where I have yet to watch the season finale of Walking Dead, I just don't care about the show anymore.

critterdvd
06-17-11, 12:04 AM
Personally, I watched through the second episode of season 2 and stopped. The show wasn't bad, but I figured 9 episodes in if it didn't "grab me" - it just wasn't for me. Glad to hear there is at least one other person who doesn't think I'm crazy...

RichC2
06-17-11, 12:14 AM
Also, the blu-rays for Season 1 and Season 2 are $15 a piece at Best Buy right now, you can use this coupon: http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/abn/2011/mm/pcon/movie_coupon_exp0731.pdf to drop them down to $10.

I personally really enjoy Breaking Bad despite its over reliance on coincidence, but can see where the dislike would come from. It's currently my favorite show on tv.

Throwing Copper
06-17-11, 05:30 AM
Also, the blu-rays for Season 1 and Season 2 are $15 a piece at Best Buy right now, you can use this coupon: http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/abn/2011/mm/pcon/movie_coupon_exp0731.pdf to drop them down to $10.

I personally really enjoy Breaking Bad despite its over reliance on coincidence, but can see where the dislike would come from. It's currently my favorite show on tv.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

My AMC employee discount isn't even that good.

MikahC
06-17-11, 08:37 AM
I watched the pilot episode of Breaking Bad and dropped it. I was hooked on Mad Men immediately. Why? Don Draper and his crew were a lot more interesting to watch to me. It's tough to objectively describe why you don't like something because any of the components you don't like probably also exist in shows you do like.

Blind buying 3 seasons is "nuts"? Sounds like the same thing over and over. Anyone who doesn't live as you do has something wrong with them ("nuts" "troll" etc). I blind bought all 7 seasons of Buffy. Same for X-Files. Why? Because I could. Enjoyed the heck out of them too.

I'm at a loss as to how one would think someone with 6,000 posts of history to look up is trolling.

Shady12
06-17-11, 10:19 AM
Just goes to show some things aren't for some people. I was utterly transfixed from the beginning of Breaking Bad. I tore through the DVD's a couple months ago and still on season three going through the weekly re-runs on AMC. I'd heard of the show before but had no idea what it was about. I guess I need to watch Mad Men sometime..never seen an episode. Walking Dead..I watched it when it was on a marathon several months ago. Was pretty decent, not great. Will check out season two, whenever that is. I'm looking forward to that AMC Western this fall. And I hope that sci-fi first contact show in development for AMC gets the green light at some point.

Geofferson
06-17-11, 11:07 AM
People seem to get really turned off on the subject matter of Breaking Bad (i.e., crystal meth) and understandably. Several people I've mentioned it to never bothered to watch because of this. It took some convincing on my part to get them to watch -- now they are all hooked :lol:

That'sAllFolks
06-19-11, 01:50 PM
I liked the show from the beginning ... and it got better with each subsequent season. But the end of season 3, it was definitely my favorite show on TV. There are alot of good serialized dramas out there on the cable stations, but not since Buffy was I really excited to watch the next week's episode.

Mike86
06-19-11, 05:37 PM
People seem to get really turned off on the subject matter of Breaking Bad (i.e., crystal meth) and understandably. Several people I've mentioned it to never bothered to watch because of this. It took some convincing on my part to get them to watch -- now they are all hooked :lol:
I agree with this reasoning and I can understand too I guess why some people might feel that way. Honestly though the show is just interesting enough where I look past that aspect and really enjoy the hell out of it. I know some people I've asked if they've seen the show have had kind of a weird reaction when I tell them what the show is about though.

Robot Rock
06-19-11, 06:12 PM
I gotta be honest, the show didn't really kick in for me until the season final of the first season.

Nefarious
06-20-11, 08:13 AM
I'm actually a little surprised by the number of people arguing this is the best show or possible best show. For me it's a very good Tier II show. We immediately liked it and we watch it every week and look forward to it. But if/when the show ends I'm not going to be torn up about it.

OP: I'd say if you aren't into it by 3 eps in then let it go. Don't sell them just yet unless you need to get your money back. Move on to other shows and maybe pick them up and try again later.

Tier I: The Wire; Mad Men; Treme; Game of Thrones; Deadwood; Rome; The Sopranos; Boardwalk Empire; Dexter

Tier II: True Blood; Breaking Bad; Sons of Anarchy; The Shield; Big Love; Tudors; The Borgias

RichC2
06-20-11, 08:15 AM
I get what you're saying, but in all honesty I don't know how Dexter can be considered Tier I (Boardwalk I can kind of get at least (phenomenal production values), though that one doesn't even rank for me.), it's a popular show but save for Season 4, it's one of the sloppier serials out there. Plus it really just isn't all that well made to begin with.

Nefarious
06-20-11, 09:00 AM
I'm giving Dexter Tier I mainly for seasons 1 & 4. I agree with your assessment and it probably is more Tier II when I really look at it as a whole.

spainlinx0
06-20-11, 09:25 AM
The Shield is Tier 2? You're out of your fucking mind.

Nefarious
06-20-11, 10:38 AM
The Shield is Tier 2? You're out of your fucking mind.

Compared to The Wire it is clearly a Tier 2. Any show, supposedly grounded in reality, that relies that heavily on temporary suspension of disbelief cannot expect to be Tier 1.

spainlinx0
06-20-11, 10:51 AM
I just think as an overall show the Shield is easily stronger than Boardwalk Empire, and at this point, better than Game of Thrones. I know people are excited about Game of Thrones right now, but the show is not perfect, and some of the flaws are especially glaring to me from reading the books.

Gunde
06-20-11, 10:54 AM
I'm actually a little surprised by the number of people arguing this is the best show or possible best show. For me it's a very good Tier II show. We immediately liked it and we watch it every week and look forward to it. But if/when the show ends I'm not going to be torn up about it.

OP: I'd say if you aren't into it by 3 eps in then let it go. Don't sell them just yet unless you need to get your money back. Move on to other shows and maybe pick them up and try again later.

Tier I: The Wire; Mad Men; Treme; Game of Thrones; Deadwood; Rome; The Sopranos; Boardwalk Empire; Dexter

Tier II: True Blood; Breaking Bad; Sons of Anarchy; The Shield; Big Love; Tudors; The Borgias
You seem to really prefer realism. Nothing wrong with that but The Shield and Breaking Bad are both VASTLY superior to anything else in your Tier II

PacMan2006
06-20-11, 12:06 PM
Compared to The Wire it is clearly a Tier 2. Any show, supposedly grounded in reality, that relies that heavily on temporary suspension of disbelief cannot expect to be Tier 1.

Out of curiosity, what makes "The Wire" so "real?" Are you suggesting that everything that happens in that show is completely realistic to how the real world works?

I mean, this is all entertainment, so nothing is ever completely "real." Even documentaries and reality shows aren't totally "real."

Nefarious
06-20-11, 12:43 PM
Out of curiosity, what makes "The Wire" so "real?" Are you suggesting that everything that happens in that show is completely realistic to how the real world works?

I mean, this is all entertainment, so nothing is ever completely "real." Even documentaries and reality shows aren't totally "real."

The Wire certainly sensationalized various elements. But you could likely find a real life example of every individual/character in The Wire and the story would be extremely close to what was portrayed on the show. Find me a Vic Mackey or Shane Vendrell in real life. Cops that have gotten away with that much in those extreme situations.

I'm not saying The Shield isn't enjoyable TV. But it didn't broaden my horizons or make me critically think, either. It's the popcorn, blockbuster action movie. If that's your Tier 1 type, more power to you. It's not for me.

I wasn't attempting to hijack this thread. There are numerous other threads here where The Shield vs The Wire, etc. have been discussed ad nauseum.

PacMan2006
06-20-11, 01:43 PM
The Wire certainly sensationalized various elements. But you could likely find a real life example of every individual/character in The Wire and the story would be extremely close to what was portrayed on the show. Find me a Vic Mackey or Shane Vendrell in real life. Cops that have gotten away with that much in those extreme situations.

I'm not saying The Shield isn't enjoyable TV. But it didn't broaden my horizons or make me critically think, either. It's the popcorn, blockbuster action movie. If that's your Tier 1 type, more power to you. It's not for me.

I wasn't attempting to hijack this thread. There are numerous other threads here where The Shield vs The Wire, etc. have been discussed ad nauseum.

Well, to be fair, if a cop got away with the things Vic Mackey pulled off, we wouldn't know about it. He'd have gotten away with it, right?

And often, characters and TV shows are less about being real, and more about being a microcosm of certain elements or people in life.

I think for me, I care less about the realistic framework of a show and how it mimics real life, and am far more interested in how extraordinary circumstances impact everyday, ordinary people. And through that, you can get honest depictions and complex interactions and relationships under the pressure cooker of cooking and selling meth or, as you mentioned, the daily actions of a dirty cop like Vic Mackey.

Listen, you like what you like and that's good. But I think if your main criteria for quality TV is realism, you're missing a hell of a lot of great programming.

FatTony
06-20-11, 03:11 PM
I enjoyed the first three seasons, but I think the praise for it is absolutely overblown. It reminds me a lot of shows like Firefly and Freaks & Geeks, where all the superfans out there are almost doing the show a disservice by overselling it to people like me who had previously heard nothing about it. Again, it's a good show - well acted and very well made - but it's nowhere near as great as it's made out to be.

bluetoast
06-20-11, 06:22 PM

By that same token, show me a forensics expert that can get away with what Dexter does (or even have the number of opportunities that he is presented with). ;)

Nefarious
06-20-11, 07:28 PM
By that same token, show me a forensics expert that can get away with what Dexter does (or even have the number of opportunities that he is presented with). ;)

I already admitted that it does belong more in Tier 2 than Tier 1 as I originally had stated. But I wouldn't have put it past the writers of either show to have them join forces at some point.

I hold The Wire, Mad Men, Deadwood and Treme above all else. I could actually see someone arguing successfully for The Sopranos to be in Tier 2.

dolphinboy
06-20-11, 08:10 PM
Well, we are past the 1/2 way point of Season 2 and my wife and I just aren't feeling it yet, so if you all want to tell me I'm an idiot, troll, with no taste in television, let 'er rip. ;)

Obviously people have different tastes, but we actually aren't surprised that people like it, I think we feel more surprised that it's considered the best television show on right now by so many people.

kstublen
06-20-11, 08:23 PM
I'll gladly take the Blu-rays off your hands if you're done with the show.

PhantomStranger
06-21-11, 01:55 AM
Well, we are past the 1/2 way point of Season 2 and my wife and I just aren't feeling it yet, so if you all want to tell me I'm an idiot, troll, with no taste in television, let 'er rip. ;)

Obviously people have different tastes, but we actually aren't surprised that people like it, I think we feel more surprised that it's considered the best television show on right now by so many people.
I think the odd subject matter of the show draws in a certain element. Like you, I watched up through the middle of season 2. The show was okay, but not essential in my estimation, so I dropped it at that point. The acting is very good, which does help ground the show.

northmoor
06-21-11, 05:06 AM
I really like Breaking Bad. I remember wondering about it when I watched the first few eps, but somewhere there in season 1 I was hooked. I remember being pissed at the Writer's Strike, which caused it to end early after only 7 Episodes.

If you're not hooked by the midpoint of season 2, then perhaps it's not for you. I was always very intrigued by the whole regular-guy deciding to break bad thing. I don't think I'd rate it as "the best" show ever, but it's up there in the top 10 or maybe 20 for me.

Interesting to read the comments on the tiers. I guess Friday Night Lights didn't rate for many? I'd certainly have that in the top tier, as well as The West Wing, and others. I guess I'll need to watch Treme, as some are placing it in some outstanding company.

Throwing Copper
06-21-11, 06:01 AM
Good lord, I really like this Nefarious person.

The Tier 2 list is fucking hilarious. :banana: Breaking Bad mixed in with most of that shit.

And dolphinboy, people like Breaking Bad because it's GRIPPING.

This was a stupid thread to begin with. If I buy a TV series (having never seen it) I should just start a thread bitching that I bought something sight unseen??

UMMM. NO. REALLY DUMB.

dino88
06-21-11, 09:34 AM
Interesting to read the comments on the tiers. I guess Friday Night Lights didn't rate for many? I'd certainly have that in the top tier, as well as The West Wing, and others. I guess I'll need to watch Treme, as some are placing it in some outstanding company.

You're only looking at one guy's opinion. Only one person put Treme next to and above all those other shows. I think you'll find that most people would disagree.

Nefarious
06-21-11, 09:51 AM
Good lord, I really like this Nefarious person.

The Tier 2 list is fucking hilarious. :banana: Breaking Bad mixed in with most of that shit.

And dolphinboy, people like Breaking Bad because it's GRIPPING.

This was a stupid thread to begin with. If I buy a TV series (having never seen it) I should just start a thread bitching that I bought something sight unseen??

UMMM. NO. REALLY DUMB.

I wasn't going to take your comments seriously until I saw you typed parts of it in all caps.

You're only looking at one guy's opinion. Only one person put Treme next to and above all those other shows. I think you'll find that most people would disagree.

It is just my opinion. I wouldn't encourage anyone to watch Treme unless they like The Wire. It's not for everyone. So if one requires highly sensationalized drama that requires constant temporary suspension of disbelief, then no, it wouldn't be a show for him or her.

Larry C.
06-21-11, 09:56 AM
Breaking Bad is hands down just pure awesome. I'm 37 now and I used to watch any and every show. I have noticed in that last year, year and a half I'm really starting to not like much anymore. More selective. But the anticipation I feel for Breaking Bad is unlike any show I've watched. Is it for everyone? Maybe not, but just when you think you've figured out how far this they show will go, it goes 3 steps further.

dino88
06-21-11, 10:06 AM
It is just my opinion. I wouldn't encourage anyone to watch Treme unless they like The Wire. It's not for everyone. So if one requires highly sensationalized drama that requires constant temporary suspension of disbelief, then no, it wouldn't be a show for him or her.

You're insulting The Wire by putting them on the same level. Outside of the excellent season one finale, Treme's first season was an absolute mess. The second season has been much better, but it is nowhere close to any of the shows you mentioned.

Anubis2005X
06-21-11, 10:11 AM
I've only watched the first season so far, but I've been hooked since the pilot. Different strokes...

dvdjunkie32
06-21-11, 10:40 AM

I just started watching the series this month like the OP. I thought the pilot was fantastic. Mr. White out in the desert with his underwear and a gas mask just spoke volumes about this world that he had no business entering.

With any successful tv show, characters trump plot. I quickly became invested in the character of Mr. White and his emotional journey dealing with the cancer.

Then I get to the part where he assembles the plate and finds the missing piece and almost starts crying. Brilliant writing. Definitely not one dimensional characters here.

dvdjunkie32
06-21-11, 10:46 AM

No fucking way The Shield is tier 2. You could claim that the plot itself was too unrealistic, but the main characters deal with real life consequences and moral conflicts. The writing is so incredible that you totally forget that you are rooting for the bad guys especially in season 5.

Nefarious
06-21-11, 11:04 AM
Well jeez, when you say it that way...

Judremy
06-21-11, 12:55 PM
dolphinboy: If you got the blu-rays and really don't like it, I'll buy them off you. Breaking Bad rocks!

RichC2
06-21-11, 05:32 PM
Just watched the 3rd Season Finale again, it's amazing how different it is from every other episode of the series. From start to finish, curious if that'll carry into 4.

bootsy
06-21-11, 05:59 PM
No fucking way The Shield is tier 2. You could claim that the plot itself was too unrealistic, but the main characters deal with real life consequences and moral conflicts. The writing is so incredible that you totally forget that you are rooting for the bad guys especially in season 5.

Yeah the Shield is definitely Tier 1 for me. There are only 5 shows that I would say are in that category for me: The Wire, The Sopranos, The Shield, Six Feet Under, and Breaking Bad. Curb Your Enthusiasm, Mad Men, Deadwood would be in that next tier for me. Boardwalk Empire , Game of Thrones could get there but it is wayyyy too early for both shows.

bootsy
06-21-11, 06:02 PM
You're insulting The Wire by putting them on the same level. Outside of the excellent season one finale, Treme's first season was an absolute mess. The second season has been much better, but it is nowhere close to any of the shows you mentioned.

You're right. I like Treme but it is not on the level of The Wire. I think even if this season and following seasons turn out to be really good it still won't be better than The Wire.

Ravenous
06-21-11, 09:49 PM
Ok, looks like I gotta say something...

I just started the Blu for S3 and holy shit has the first 5 eps been boring as hell. I loved the show since ep 1 and this season has really started as a let down. All the focus on the whore wife that could have been put into 2 episodes. It hasnt started rolling. Im pretty damn dissapointed in this season so far and its kinda cooled me on S4 starting

bootsy
06-21-11, 10:37 PM

I just started the Blu for S3 and holy shit has the first 5 eps been boring as hell. I loved the show since ep 1 and this season has really started as a let down. All the focus on the whore wife that could have been put into 2 episodes. It hasnt started rolling. Im pretty damn dissapointed in this season so far and its kinda cooled me on S4 starting

All the focus-rolleyes- Did you fall asleep during those first 5 episodes. There was a whole host of things going on:

Jesse getting out of rehab and cooking and selling his own meth after Walt tells him his product is inferior.
Walt gets half of the money from Jesse's deal to sell meth for Gus
Because of that, Jesse and Walt breaking up their partnership again
Walt not wanting to accept Gus' offer and then accepting with his own lab
THE TWINS
Mike observing the twins going into Walt's house to kill him and then contacts Gus who calls off the attempted kill.
Hank getting promoted to El Paso again and then wanting to stay to investigate the linking between the blue meth and the RV.
Gus being pressured to allow the Twins to carry out their hit on Walt.
Jesse secretly buys his parents house with help from Sal.
Hank taking on those two guys at the bar, and his panic attacks.

IF you were bored by those first 5 episodes I don't know what else to tell you except PAY ATTENTION.

Gunde
06-22-11, 02:23 AM

This is even more baffling than the OP.
To each their own indeed.

RichC2
06-22-11, 07:36 AM
I thought the first few eps of season 3 were a little slow as well, though imo episode 5 was pretty badass, sure it was completely focused on the RV but it was phenomenally tense near the end. Then save for the horrible Fly the rest of the season was great.

Shady12
06-22-11, 11:48 AM
I love the show, been watching on DVD and now season 3 via AMC Sunday night re-runs. I agree(I have watched through "The Fly" that season 3 isn't as good as the first two IMO. Although there are some amazing episodes mixed in.

xVladx
06-22-11, 02:57 PM
This is even more baffling than the OP.
To each their own indeed.

I think that some people are expecting the show to just "take off" at some point and end up being non-stop action/criminal activity or something. While the episodes were originally airing, I remember various forum threads around where people were complaining about the downtime after the first three episodes in both S1 AND S2, as well as the first stretch of episodes in S3.

That's just the kind of pacing the show has, and I guess it's just not for everybody. Personally, I love that we get the time to step back every so often and watch everybody scramble around and react to all the stuff that just happened.

Throwing Copper
06-23-11, 12:49 AM
Season 3 really takes off from eps 7-13. The Fly is kinda one note with just the two of them, but the others are really mind-blowing.

Shady12
06-23-11, 09:49 AM
Just watched the one after the Fly, really good...can't wait for the last two!

andy434343
06-23-11, 09:14 PM
Anyone who cares about watching quality tv shows, should watch breaking bad......if they haven't so already.

Ravenous
06-23-11, 09:58 PM
IF you were bored by those first 5 episodes I don't know what else to tell you except PAY ATTENTION.

How the fuck does my assessment show Im not paying attention? I payed attention, and yea all that was great, but it could have been put into half the episodes. THATS my point. Fly is the perfect example. It was good but that close to the end of the season? It was meaningless, it like they didnt have much story to tell so they dragged it all out

I actually didnt like the twin brothers, kinda stupid infact. THough seeing him crawl on his nubs made me :lol: Yea ep 5 about the RV was great but after 6 it really kicked in, I finished the season last night and goddamn that cliffhanger. But when Gus and Walt confront each other at the beginning Gus has a really thick accent, wtf was that

HaydosMang
12-20-11, 08:06 PM
Well I have just signed up to this forum because I have spent the last few hours trying to find some people who share my views on Breaking Bad and it looks like I found some!

I agree completely with the OP. I have just finished watching episode 6 and am considering just throwing in the towel. The final straw for me was the introduction of the character of Tuco. What the hell? So much of that character doesn't make any sense.

1. He lets complete strangers walk straight into his compound carrying huge bags of meth?
2. He is a complete psycho yet he manages to dominate the drug trade and not get caught.
3. He beats up Jesse, but when Walt comes in and asks for more money and then blows up his compound he gives him the cash?
4. He doesnt kill Walt for blowing up his compound?

Compare Marlo Stanfield, Proposition Joe, or any other drug dealer type from the Wire with Tuco. Breaking Bad is not a good show. Over acted and badly directed.

Also, can someone explain to me why Walt's son has CP? Do they try and turn that in a plot line at all? I don't understand that casting decision at all.

majorjoe23
12-20-11, 08:11 PM
Dragon Tattoo, Dragon Tattoo, Dragon Tattoo!

Dragon Tattoo
12-20-11, 08:23 PM
Dragon Tattoo, Dragon Tattoo, Dragon Tattoo!

*Materializes*

Someone called?

*Reads HaydosMang's post*

Perhaps you would find Two and a Half Men more to your liking?

*Disappears*

HaydosMang
12-20-11, 08:43 PM
*Materializes*

Someone called?

*Reads HaydosMang's post*

Perhaps you would find Two and a Half Men more to your liking?

*Disappears*

The last 3 shows I have watched are The Sopranos, The Wire and The Shield. I am shelving Breaking Bad and have switched to Boardwalk Empire which I am loving after 3 episodes.

Thanks for your input though.

My Other Self
12-20-11, 08:47 PM
I don't watch many shows and I despise serialized shows but Breaking Bad is far and away the best TV show to air in the past decade. Nothing on TV right now holds a flame to it.

Opinions are opinions, though. To each their own.

Dragon Tattoo
12-20-11, 08:49 PM
The last 3 shows I have watched are The Sopranos, The Wire and The Shield. I am shelving Breaking Bad and have switched to Boardwalk Empire which I am loving after 3 episodes.

Thanks for your input though.

You prefer Boardwalk Empire to Breaking Bad?

I don't even know what to say to something like that. But whatever.

I don't watch many shows and I despise serialized shows but Breaking Bad is far and away the best TV show to air in the past decade. Nothing on TV right now holds a flame to it.

The Truth.

HaydosMang
12-20-11, 09:01 PM
You prefer Boardwalk Empire to Breaking Bad?

I don't even know what to say to something like that. But whatever.

And I'm the one that should watch Two and a Half Men?

Dragon Tattoo
12-20-11, 09:10 PM
And I'm the one that should watch Two and a Half Men?

Boardwalk Empire is a show for people who like to think they're watching an intelligent show. Kinda like The Wire, except with less actual value.

Are you on the Golden Globe selection committee?

xVladx
12-21-11, 09:34 AM
Well I have just signed up to this forum because I have spent the last few hours trying to find some people who share my views on Breaking Bad and it looks like I found some!

I agree completely with the OP. I have just finished watching episode 6 and am considering just throwing in the towel. The final straw for me was the introduction of the character of Tuco. What the hell? So much of that character doesn't make any sense.

Ok, I'm going to assume that you're not being deliberately nitpicky, or trolling, or whatever, and actually address these concerns:

1. He lets complete strangers walk straight into his compound carrying huge bags of meth?

Err, no, not really. He let Jesse in only after someone he already knows vouches for him. As for Walt, he probably figured that if anything did go sideways with him, his goons could have handled him easily.

2. He is a complete psycho yet he manages to dominate the drug trade and not get caught.

Yeah, he's a bit off, but he still seemed to be careful when doing business. Not only that, but they basically said that he took over for Krazy 8 after he was killed earlier in the season, so it's not like he had been running the drug trade for all that long.

Not only that, but he wasn't really "dominating" the drug trade, all things considered. After he beat up Jesse, he said something along the lines of "nobody deals crystal in the South Valley but me", and from the looks of it on a map, the South Valley is just kind of a suburb of Albuquerque, so it's not like he was the kingpin of a vast empire or anything. Not only that, but later on it's revealed that he has cartel connections, so that would also explain why he has the juice that he does.

3. He beats up Jesse, but when Walt comes in and asks for more money and then blows up his compound he gives him the cash?

Uh, yeah, that's pretty much the way it happened. Walt was holding the rest of the bag of the fulminated mercury as leverage to be able to get the money from Tuco and walk back out alive. That was pretty much the whole point of the scene.

Also, can someone explain to me why Walt's son has CP? Do they try and turn that in a plot line at all? I don't understand that casting decision at all.

Do you mean "why" as in the cause given in the show, or "why" as far as why the writers decided to do it?

As far as the in-show cause, they never came right out and gave a cause but it is hinted later on that there was some difficulty during his birth, and according to the Wikipedia page on CP, complications during labor can be a cause.

As far as why the writers might have decided to do it, it could have been just something to do just for the heck of it, or it could have been to add another layer of general disappointment to Walt's pre-BB life (high school chemistry teacher, working part time at a car wash, disabled son, etc).

The nice thing is that, aside from a few small things here and there, it's never really harped upon in the series. Sure, he's always walking around with the crutches, but there's never a huge "poor Walter Jr. has to live with CP" storyline, it's just a part of the character.

RichC2
12-21-11, 09:38 AM
I still don't get the appeal of Boardwalk. Love The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, etc; but Boardwalk Empire is a completely shallow bore with nice production values.

I do kind of think that Breaking Bad is a bit comic book-ish in spots, though. Doesn't make me like it any less.

bunkaroo
12-21-11, 09:43 AM
I'll agree that Boardwalk Empire never feels compelling - it just seems compelling at times.

What I like about Breaking Bad is the story will have twists and turns I didn't see coming and yet they don't feel gimmicky or contrived. I'm looking at you Sons of Anarchy and Dexter.

CRM114
12-21-11, 09:44 AM
I'm kind of with the OP. I watched the first few episodes of Season 1 on Netflix and was meh. I guess I bought into the hype too much and expected too much.

twikoff
12-21-11, 09:52 AM

damn.. and i was just about to start a, 'Does The Wire ever get good' thread :(

macnorton
12-21-11, 10:04 AM
My two cents...

This show (as well as Mad Men) are not for everyone. Both require a ton of attention and they will turn the screws on you if you don't. I knew from the trailer of Breaking Bad this was going to be the show. Mad Men on the other hand...I thought this could be the best show on TV. And I think most would agree with that assessment.

Second, The Wire not being Tier 1 is total non-sense. It may be the most accurate depiction of real life and how mundane it is...ever. The Shield, while excellent, can't even hold a candle to how awesome The Wire is, was and forever will be. And to say anything on Dexter is fesiable (outside of getting away with murder), is beyond absurd. Not to say people are not allowed to have their opinions, but those few comments made me shake my head.

Mike86
12-21-11, 10:35 AM
I have to say that I think Breaking Bad is probably far and away the best show on television right now. The actors are all outstanding and is just telling a great story.

Dexter is about the only show I like as much as Breaking Bad at the moment. For different reasons and it's not quite as good. It definitely has a different feel to it and more "comic book" like but it still entertains me. The Wire is a fine show but honestly I'm not that into it. I might have to go back to it again someday and can definitely appreciate how true to life it seems and how expansive the series is but I just find it hard to get into. Mad Men I like but find completely overrated to be honest. It's a fine show but damn is it slow at times and a chore to watch.

CRM114
12-21-11, 10:38 AM
I'm currently watching Season 3 of The Wire. There aren't many shows I can think of that were as good as it.

As for Breaking Bad, I like it and will continue watching it but

I think the suburban dad selling drugs thing was already covered in Weeds

and the

dead body in acid falling through the floor was kind of hokey

and sort of made me roll my eyes.

Mike86
12-21-11, 10:44 AM
I'm currently watching Season 3 of The Wire. There aren't many shows I can think of that were as good as it.

As for Breaking Bad, I like it and will continue watching it but

I think the suburban dad selling drugs thing was already covered in Weeds

and the

dead body in acid falling through the floor was kind of hokey

and sort of made me roll my eyes.
:lol: Comparing Weeds to Breaking Bad is laughable. Not even close to the same type of show and Weeds can't even come close to touching Breaking Bad.

CRM114
12-21-11, 10:57 AM
Who said I was comparing shows? I was comparing premises. RIF.

macnorton
12-21-11, 11:26 AM
Another thought I had on the series as a whole, this show is excellent in terms of arcs. There is the main plot (Walt), sub-plot (Jesse), comic relief (Hank) and the unknown (Gus). Somehow, all of these things tie together nicely and it all makes sense. The writers also have a real knack for making the audience aware of where they might go and then go in the total opposite direction (see the season 4 finale).

Then the show will do a bottle episode, which has no bearing on the plot(s) but makes references back to them and might reveal things to the characters that the audience already knows. The Fly being the example (and my personal favorite episode of the series, as I have stated previously).

Mad Men does this as well, but more in the style of The Sopranos, where characters drop off for extended lenghts of time and show up again later, to have a significant impact.

Mike86
12-21-11, 11:33 AM
Who said I was comparing shows? I was comparing premises. RIF.
I guess it kind of seemed like you were since you brought them up and that they had similar premises. Breaking Bad really isn't that similar to Weeds at all though. Breaking Bad is different though in that it really uses drugs as a way of illustrating Walt's turn at "Breaking Bad". The drugs aren't really what the show is about though it's more about how a person's ego and desparation can drive them to extreme lengths. Weeds is similar but goes about the idea pretty differently and doesn't do it nearly as well.

dvdjunkie32
12-21-11, 11:46 AM
:lol: Comparing Weeds to Breaking Bad is laughable. Not even close to the same type of show and Weeds can't even come close to touching Breaking Bad.

No shit, Weeds is made for laughs. Breaking Bad is about one man's descent into darkness and madness. Season 1 also went deep into the emotional and physical experiences of having cancer. I have to say if these posters don't care for the show after season 1, they should move on to something else.

chowderhead
12-21-11, 11:56 AM
I just finished season 3 on netflix. Man, this show is fantastic. It deserves any and all praise it gets. I really enjoy the chemistry between Walt and Jessie and their storylines which are almost always surprising and engaging. Just when I think I know where things are going ... the show ups the stakes to another level. It's really riveting. I also very much appreciate that the show brings back loose ends (such as Combo's death) into the main storyline (even if it may be a bit too coincidental). It really makes watching the show satisfying. Anyway, I am hooked and will definitely catch this show when it returns.

dino88
12-21-11, 12:03 PM
I just finished season 3 on netflix. Man, this show is fantastic. It deserves any and all praise it gets. I really enjoy the chemistry between Walt and Jessie and their storylines which are almost always surprising and engaging. Just when I think I know where things are going ... the show ups the stakes to another level. It's really riveting. I also very much appreciate that the show brings back loose ends (such as Combo's death) into the main storyline (even if it may be a bit too coincidental). It really makes watching the show satisfying. Anyway, I am hooked and will definitely catch this show when it returns.

Fixed

CRM114
12-21-11, 01:03 PM
By the way, someone told me Breaking Bad on Netflix is edited. Is that true?

RichC2
12-21-11, 01:22 PM
were there titties in the first ep? If yes, it's not edited, if not, it's edited.

xVladx
12-21-11, 02:01 PM
By the way, someone told me Breaking Bad on Netflix is edited. Is that true?

I've rewatched S1-3 on Netflix recently, and from what I can tell, it's only the first episode that's been cut. Any swearing has been silenced, and there are at least three scenes that noticed were missing right off the bat:

1: There's a scene after Walt's birthday party where his Skyler gives him a handjob in bed. She's on the computer the whole time (checking an eBay auction, if I remember correctly), and obviously kind of phoning it in.

2. At some point before Walt's cancer diagnosis, some of Walt's students end up getting their car wiped down by him. There's lots of laughing, and I recall one of them taking a picture with their phone. Basically yet another embarrassing situation for Walt.

3. After Walt passes out at the car wash, there's a scene that takes place during the ambulance ride to the hospital. Walt's asking the EMT who's checking him out if they could just leave him outside the hospital, since he doesn't have the best insurance. The EMT says that he can't do it, and asks if Walt smokes, foreshadowing that something's seriously wrong with him.

Now, none of these scenes are absolutely essential, but they're all good scenes in and of themselves, and really help paint a picture of Walt before he finally breaks bad.

Gunde
12-21-11, 02:36 PM

Opinions are opinions, though. To each their own.
Nope. That would be 1. The Wire and 2. The Shield. Then comes Breaking Bad.

CRM114
12-21-11, 02:55 PM
I've rewatched S1-3 on Netflix recently, and from what I can tell, it's only the first episode that's been cut. Any swearing has been silenced, and there are at least three scenes that noticed were missing right off the bat:

1: There's a scene after Walt's birthday party where his Skyler gives him a handjob in bed. She's on the computer the whole time (checking an eBay auction, if I remember correctly), and obviously kind of phoning it in.

2. At some point before Walt's cancer diagnosis, some of Walt's students end up getting their car wiped down by him. There's lots of laughing, and I recall one of them taking a picture with their phone. Basically yet another embarrassing situation for Walt.

3. After Walt passes out at the car wash, there's a scene that takes place during the ambulance ride to the hospital. Walt's asking the EMT who's checking him out if they could just leave him outside the hospital, since he doesn't have the best insurance. The EMT says that he can't do it, and asks if Walt smokes, foreshadowing that something's seriously wrong with him.

Now, none of these scenes are absolutely essential, but they're all good scenes in and of themselves, and really help paint a picture of Walt before he finally breaks bad.

Why would #2 and #3 be cut?

Howie2000
12-21-11, 03:26 PM
I am really dissapointed with the new direction the show is gonna take in 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtZpo89mmJo

xVladx
12-21-11, 04:19 PM
Why would #2 and #3 be cut?

Actually, it was more for time than for content. When the pilot originally aired, it was longer than the standard episode. For re-airs, though, the edited version that's currently on Netflix was put together, so it would fit into the standard TV-length timeslot.

educator_bhoy
12-21-11, 05:02 PM
I'm with the original poster on this one, watched 3 espisodes of season 1 on Netflix and gave up, none of the characters were likeable and the overall plot was boring. I had the same reaction to Weeds, where I lasted for an entire season, Mad Men same story.

My Other Self
12-21-11, 08:31 PM
Nope. That would be 1. The Wire and 2. The Shield. Then comes Breaking Bad.As much as I enjoyed The Wire, I don't think it deserved the universal acclaim it received. I never cared for The Shield. Breaking Bad is still better than both.

Throwing Copper
12-22-11, 02:13 AM
As much as I enjoyed The Wire, I don't think it deserved the universal acclaim it received. I never cared for The Shield. Breaking Bad is still better than both.

I was bored out of my mind by The Wire and gave up on it.

I don't know how anyone could be bored by Breaking Bad, but to each his own.

xVladx
12-22-11, 08:46 AM

Yeah, that's the thing that's really baffling me. Sure, I can see someone maybe not liking the characters, or finding the subject matter too dark, but boring? Especially after only the first three episodes? Given how much stuff happens in them, I can't quite see how they can be anything even remotely approaching boring.

My Other Self
12-22-11, 07:46 PM
Yeah, that's the thing that's really baffling me. Sure, I can see someone maybe not liking the characters, or finding the subject matter too dark, but boring? Especially after only the first three episodes? Given how much stuff happens in them, I can't quite see how they can be anything even remotely approaching boring.Since we've all seen the first few episodes I have to agree. I was gripped after the pilot. I just wanted to see what happens next, which means a serialized show is doing its job. I forgot what episode it was in, but how could anyone be bored after Jesse dissolved a guy's body in acid in his bathtub? :lol:

HaydosMang
12-22-11, 10:27 PM
I was bored out of my mind by The Wire and gave up on it.

How far did you get with The Wire? I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes and then stopped watching it because I wasn't that impressed. I then went back and started again a bit later and ended up loving it and rank it as one of the absolute best shows I've seen. They spend a heap of time on character development during the first season that they don't need to spend as much time on in later seasons.

Compare that to the Shield where I would imagine most people get hooked by the end of the pilot, for obvious reasons if you have watched it.

Throwing Copper
12-23-11, 12:35 AM
How far did you get with The Wire? I watched the first 4 or 5 episodes and then stopped watching it because I wasn't that impressed. I then went back and started again a bit later and ended up loving it and rank it as one of the absolute best shows I've seen. They spend a heap of time on character development during the first season that they don't need to spend as much time on in later seasons.

Compare that to the Shield where I would imagine most people get hooked by the end of the pilot, for obvious reasons if you have watched it.

Yeah, a lot of people got bored by Mad Men as well as The Wire. I love Mad Men now, and I've been told to revisit the Wire and I'll be rewarded.

If those HBO box sets weren't so damn expensive I'd probably buy it.

Gunde
12-23-11, 02:13 AM
Yeah, a lot of people got bored by Mad Men as well as The Wire. I love Mad Men now, and I've been told to revisit the Wire and I'll be rewarded.

If those HBO box sets weren't so damn expensive I'd probably buy it.
Think of each season of The Wire as a novel with each episode being a chapter. It will start out slow and then build to something great.

Kory
12-23-11, 01:49 PM

4. He doesnt kill Walt for blowing up his compound?

Compare Marlo Stanfield, Proposition Joe, or any other drug dealer type from the Wire with Tuco. Breaking Bad is not a good show. Over acted and badly directed.

I agreed with this poster and with the OP at first. Seasons 1 and 2 of this show weren't bad, and I like them more re-watching them than I did the first time around, but I really didn't "get" why this show was so great. I wasn't very interested in any of the characters. But once season 3 started, I was fucking in. The way season 3 and especially season 4 play out is amazing. Sitting through seasons 1 and 2, even if you're not totally interested, is well worth it, just so you can get to 3 and 4.

bootsy
12-23-11, 11:22 PM

You need to watch more than 4 or 5 episodes. You haven't even scratched the surface.

bdshort
03-16-12, 05:00 PM
Just thought I'd chim in since I just started through Breaking Bad and have finished the first season. I thought every episode was fantastic so I'm excited that it gets even better. Not sure how anyone could find it boring! I'm glad the show has a good amount of humor mixed in with the dark subject matter.

CRM114
03-28-12, 11:30 AM
I can't stop watching it. I'm just a few episodes into Season 2 where Walt's brother in law kills Tuco.

I have a couple of nagging questions which I suppose I should just let go but here goes:

- Walt is a school teacher. Why would he not have insurance or why would his insurance not cover his cancer treatments? Public school employees have excellent benefits.

- They are depicted as living paycheck to paycheck. So why is Skyler sitting around the house all day and not working? (They also have a pool which destitute people usually don't have.)

- Did I miss what happened to Walt and Gray Matter? Does that explanation come later? Did I doze off? :)

Tracer Bullet
03-28-12, 12:04 PM
Did I miss what happened to Walt and Gray Matter? Does that explanation come later? Did I doze off? :)

They never really explain it. You're supposed to piece it together and infer from context.

Raul3
03-28-12, 12:08 PM
Enjoy the show, it gets better each season.

macnorton
03-28-12, 12:28 PM
- Walt is a school teacher. Why would he not have insurance or why would his insurance not cover his cancer treatments? Public school employees have excellent benefits.

I can't speak to New Mexico, but I know with my mother's benefits, not everything is covered. While yes the benefits are excellent, there is a lot of out of pocket expenses.

It is not outside of the realm of possibility that he simply can't pay it even with the insurance. That isn't exactly explained, but good health care is affordable...if you want Magic Johnson level care, these things cost money.

CRM114
03-28-12, 03:28 PM
They never really explain it. You're supposed to piece it together and infer from context.

Hmm. Bummer. It seems that Walt and that dude created a company that he's entitled to half of. They show Walt with that woman who is now the wife of the owner of Gray Matter. I'm assuming the woman went with the owner and Walt walked away.

Geofferson
03-28-12, 04:13 PM
Damn, I wish I could watch this show for the first time all over again! ;)

Geofferson
03-28-12, 04:16 PM
Enjoy the show, it gets better each season.
I agree with this for the most part. It really hit its stride in season 2 and peaked creatively in season 3. I view season 4 as staying on the same peak instead of establishing a new one (if that makes sense).

Either way, such an impressive show in nearly every level.

Tracer Bullet
03-28-12, 06:34 PM
Hmm. Bummer. It seems that Walt and that dude created a company that he's entitled to half of. They show Walt with that woman who is now the wife of the owner of Gray Matter. I'm assuming the woman went with the owner and Walt walked away.

That's the general understanding, yeah. You got it.

bdshort
03-28-12, 07:26 PM
I just watched the Negro y Azul episode in Season 2, and that's what it sounded like. I was/am still confused about why someone would turn down free money for cancer care and instead decide to undertake an extremely risky/dangerous/illegal activity to pay for it instead. There must be something more going on than just pride and not wanting someone else's charity. I'd ask if this was explained further on in the series but I don't want to be spoiled.

And the scene with the tortoise in the desert... :eek:

xVladx
03-28-12, 08:50 PM

I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but the uncut version of the pilot (which, last I checked, Netflix isn't showing), established that Walt's insurance isn't that great, as he didn't even want to be dropped off at the hospital after passing out at the car wash.

- They are depicted as living paycheck to paycheck. So why is Skyler sitting around the house all day and not working? (They also have a pool which destitute people usually don't have.)

Uhhh.. Skyler's quite pregnant at this point in the series, so that's why she'd be staying home. In any case, her work situation is something that's a factor later on in the series, so I'm going to let you find the rest out for yourself.

As far as the pool, I don't know how it is in Albuquerque, but pools are fairly common in some areas. I lived in the Orlando area for a bit a few years back, and pools seemed to be a LOT more common in even the mid-level homes (like the one shown in Breaking Bad) than they were in other areas I've lived.

- Did I miss what happened to Walt and Gray Matter? Does that explanation come later? Did I doze off? :)

As Tracer Bullet said, it's never really explained fully. You do get a little more information later on in S2, but it ends up being one of those things where you never really know what actually happened, but once you're more familiar with how Walt tends to act, you can kind of guess how things went down given the information that's presented.

I'll let you know that your guess is a bit off, though :)

I was/am still confused about why someone would turn down free money for cancer care and instead decide to undertake an extremely risky/dangerous/illegal activity to pay for it instead. There must be something more going on than just pride and not wanting someone else's charity. I'd ask if this was explained further on in the series but I don't want to be spoiled.

Thing is, as far as Walt goes, it's not like his pride as something you can call "just pride". He's portrayed as hugely prideful at several points throughout the series, first when turning down what was likely a job offer extended out of pity, then at several times afterwards.. for example (End of Season 2 spoiler):

When Saul comes up with the perfectly working method of money laundering money through Walt Jr's charity website, Walt ends up pissed off that nobody knows that the money's coming from him.

Anubis2005X
03-28-12, 09:09 PM
I just watched the Negro y Azul episode in Season 2, and that's what it sounded like. I was/am still confused about why someone would turn down free money for cancer care and instead decide to undertake an extremely risky/dangerous/illegal activity to pay for it instead. There must be something more going on than just pride and not wanting someone else's charity. I'd ask if this was explained further on in the series but I don't want to be spoiled.

And the scene with the tortoise in the desert... :eek:

Let's just say that Walt is a complicated man. You'll gain more insight the more you watch...

Mr. Salty
03-28-12, 09:54 PM
It's not that he doesn't have insurance. He undoubtedly does. But remember:

Walt's original diagnosis was that his cancer was terminal. He came up with the meth idea to make a lot of money quickly, not for treatment, but so his family would be set financially after he died. He had one son with cerebral palsy who needs ongoing health care, and a baby on the way.

Once he started making money he could afford experimental treatment that wasn't covered by his insurance (most experimental treatments aren't covered by insurance). The treatment was effective enough that his cancer went into remission ... at least for a while.

Raul3
03-29-12, 01:57 PM
Yes, what Mr. Salty said.

CRM114
03-29-12, 02:01 PM
It's not that he doesn't have insurance. He undoubtedly does. But remember:

Walt's original diagnosis was that his cancer was terminal. He came up with the meth idea to make a lot of money quickly, not for treatment, but so his family would be set financially after he died. He had one son with cerebral palsy who needs ongoing health care, and a baby on the way.

Once he started making money he could afford experimental treatment that wasn't covered by his insurance (most experimental treatments aren't covered by insurance). The treatment was effective enough that his cancer went into remission ... at least for a while.

Sure but in the beginning, it is said his treatments were $90,000 or something. It seems he's just on a course of chemo and radiation therapy. Not really that experimental. Then the Gray Matter dude offers to pay and Walt declines. So some of the money is going to medical bills, you'd think. But later when Walt is computing how much money he needs, it's all about the future needs, not the present.

Which leads me to: why wouldn't Walt have life insurance? It seems any responsible parent has life insurance. They seem like reasonable people yet their life (even before the cancer) seems so fucked up.

majorjoe23
03-29-12, 02:52 PM
I know that in my case, a stroke about five years ago (at age 27) made it so that no life insurance company wants to talk to me. My job has a default year's salary for insurance, but when I've tried to increase that they also turn me town.

Now that I have a four month old baby, I should probably start making and selling meth to make sure I can provide for her.

Nefarious
03-29-12, 10:47 PM
They obviously weren't loaded since Walt was working a second job at the car wash. He may have had a life insurance policy but he had another child on the way and his son has medical/disability issues. He just wanted them to have a bigger nest egg.

CRM114
03-30-12, 02:13 PM
It seems to me that the writers of the show were out of touch with how their character would actually live. But that's OK. It's really not that important. I'll just assume he was a substitute teacher and a bad financial planner. ;)

Tarantino
04-02-12, 11:00 PM
Breaking Bad is one of a very small list of shows that has had me sitting there with my mouth literally agape during certain episodes. So fucking great.

Not since certain episodes of The Shield had I not been able to sleep after watching TV...then BB came along.

bdshort
04-03-12, 05:22 PM
Just finished Season 2. Watching Walt let Jane die was brutal, but given the circumstances from his point of view, was probably his best move. He could have tried to save her, and possibly even gotten on her good side, but ultimately I think everyone would have ended up back in the same spot. With her death, he avoided a dangerous loose end, and hopefully scared some sense into Jesse. (Yeah right...) I liked her character but knew from the beginning it wasn't going to go well for her... I was thinking she might have ended up as a tweaker in some flop house down the road, and not choking on her own vomit, but either way it wasn't going to be a happy ending.

Not sure what I thought of the ending. I read an interview where Gillian explained what they were
going for, I just think it might have been a bit overdone.

I'm really interested in seeing how the plot with the Chicken Shop drug kingpin guy develops, now that he knows Walt's brother in law is DEA.

Season 3 is at the top of my Netflix queue, so I'm sure I'll be done watching in within the next couple weeks. I'm assuming Season 4 will come out right before the premier of Season 5?

RichC2
04-03-12, 08:57 PM
I didn't care for the conclusion to s2 either, but it also solidified the show as something of a comic book serial in my mind. S3 starts very slowly but imo hits the higest highs of the series.

Raul3
04-04-12, 10:50 AM
Reading bdshort comment made me think about the season 4 finale. Interesting.

Shazam
04-04-12, 12:13 PM
I love the show. Top notch acting.

Having said that, S4 got a little... over the top. But it was still a 9/10 season. S1 and 2 are my favourites because there's a lot more of Walt's dual life.

islandclaws
05-17-12, 11:29 AM
I tried watching this with my gf. We got 2 episodes in and gave up; nothing was engaging us. Cranston is a fine actor, but the other kid with him was annoying as hell. I know he was supposed to be, but I couldn't take much more of him. I don't think I'll be revisiting it anytime soon. At least now I can get everyone off my back who's been telling me for the last couple years that I "have to watch it".

JohnSlider
05-17-12, 11:34 AM
lol

andicus
05-17-12, 11:43 AM
http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2465/207notsureifserious1.jpg

Michael Corvin
05-17-12, 11:53 AM
Just started this last week with the wife and we're already about 3-4 episodes into season 2. Phenomenal show.

Shazam
05-17-12, 12:41 PM
I tried watching this with my gf. We got 2 episodes in and gave up; nothing was engaging us. Cranston is a fine actor, but the other kid with him was annoying as hell. I know he was supposed to be, but I couldn't take much more of him. I don't think I'll be revisiting it anytime soon. At least now I can get everyone off my back who's been telling me for the last couple years that I "have to watch it".

You were watching "Breaking Bad" and not some other show?

Kevin M. Dean
05-17-12, 03:31 PM
At least now I can get everyone off my back who's been telling me for the last couple years that I "have to watch it".

Yeah, I don't thinking watching 2 eps and giving up is going to get them off your back.

bunkaroo
05-17-12, 04:03 PM
I don't recall being bowled over after the first few episodes either. I could say the same of The Wire. Gotta give it at least the full first season.

Michael Corvin
05-17-12, 04:22 PM
:lol: Yeah, the first season is only 7 episodes. Gotta at least give it that.

islandclaws
05-17-12, 05:26 PM
I know, I know. I'm sure I'll knock out those last 5 episodes at some point, but I expected the pilot to suck me in like a tractor beam; didn't happen.

My Other Self
05-17-12, 09:34 PM
I know, I know. I'm sure I'll knock out those last 5 episodes at some point, but I expected the pilot to suck me in like a tractor beam; didn't happen.Pilot didn't suck me in. Watch the other 5. I really don't think you'll regret it. There's just not a better show on TV.

dolphinboy
05-17-12, 09:58 PM
I know, I know. I'm sure I'll knock out those last 5 episodes at some point, but I expected the pilot to suck me in like a tractor beam; didn't happen.

I waited around 3 seasons and it never happened. ;)

Throwing Copper
05-17-12, 10:23 PM
Pilot didn't suck me in. Watch the other 5. I really don't think you'll regret it. There's just not a better show on TV.

It really is amazing that this thread ever got this long.

dolphinboy
05-17-12, 10:51 PM
It really is amazing that this thread ever got this long.

Me too. I'm usually a thread killer.

Rypro 525
05-18-12, 12:02 AM
Also i noticed too that biggie spoilers seem to be OK in this thread too (i just finished season 3 tonight)

madcougar
05-29-12, 11:41 AM
Just started watching this on Netflix and I freakin' love it. Watched the first 12 episodes in one day.

dolphinboy
05-29-12, 12:55 PM
Just started watching this on Netflix and I freakin' love it. Watched the first 12 episodes in one day.

You must be on meth, so I see why you like it. ;)

Michael Corvin
05-29-12, 02:56 PM

:eek:

We're about 5 episodes into season 3 and it's taken about 10 days or so. That being said, after two kick ass seasons, season 3 is a bore so far.

madcougar
05-29-12, 03:56 PM
You must be on meth, so I see why you like it. ;)

I'm clean man! But I have a hankering to get me an RV, drive out to the boonies and cook man!

Raul3
05-30-12, 09:23 AM

We're about 5 episodes into season 3 and it's taken about 10 days or so. That being said, after two kick ass seasons, season 3 is a bore so far.

Really? Everything get better, a lot better, after that. There's one pause down there though.

Anyway, if you think episode 7 (One minute) was a bore, stop watching immediately. ;)

slop101
05-30-12, 09:58 AM

We're about 5 episodes into season 3 and it's taken about 10 days or so. That being said, after two kick ass seasons, season 3 is a bore so far.Weird. As much as I liked the first two seasons, I think season 3 shits all over both of them, and the 4th is even better than that.

RichC2
05-30-12, 10:03 AM
Season 3 started out tremendously slow (all the rehab stuff, and basically dealing with the aftermath of Season 2), it was a chore to get through... but the second half of the season is some of the best of the series. Minus Fly. That episode was fucking terrible. But episodes 6 (Sunset), 7 (One Minute), 11 (Half Measure), 12 (Full Measure) are some of my favorite TV eps, period.

Gunde
05-30-12, 10:30 AM
I agree completely about season 3. While it at times reaches series highs (the 4 episodes RichC2 lists) it's also a chore to get through at certain points. I found this to be the case especially on my re-watch.

And then there's "Fly". A terrible episode. There are some good moments in it but mostly the basic premise is so fucking stupid it's hard to ignore, and IMO the end renders the entire hour kinda pointless.

Season 4 is much better.

slop101
05-30-12, 10:31 AM
... but the second half of the season is some of the best of the series. Minus Fly. That episode was fucking terrible. .Sez you - I loved Fly.

Michael Corvin
05-30-12, 10:39 AM
Season 3 started out tremendously slow (all the rehab stuff, and basically dealing with the aftermath of Season 2), it was a chore to get through...

That's what I'm getting at. Walt's a pussy now, Jessie's barely in it. Skyler is a hypocritical bitch. Hank is no longer just a blowhard, he's now a pussy, and a complete asshole to compensate. His wife is still the weakest link in the show. Couple all that with the fact that nothing has happened and it's been a chore thus far. It feels like what happened to Lost. Once the writers got wind of it's popularity they decided to slow the show to a complete crawl to extend it's life. Despite all that, the worst bit on the show has to be Walt missing his daughter's birth. For a show that goes way beyond the line most other shows don't even aspire to creatively, to rely on a 50 year old cliche was fucking terrible.

I have enjoyed the flashbacks showing what happened to Tortuga and the "purchase" of the RV. Speaking of, I'm watching the Blu-rays and there was some decent tit action at the strip club, was that unedited on TV?

Geofferson
05-30-12, 10:45 AM
Speaking of, I'm watching the Blu-rays and there was some decent tit action at the strip club, was that unedited on TV?
No - the TV version was edited. Season 3 was arguably my favorite of the series and where it hit its creative high. I've said it before, but that creative high continued in season 4 (though didn't go any higher). Season 4 redeemed itself in the second half (it started out a bit slow -- excluding 'Box Cutter').

Michael Corvin
05-30-12, 10:32 PM
Anyway, if you think episode 7 (One minute) was a bore, stop watching immediately. ;)

Just finished. :up: Now that's what I'm talking about. We're back on track. :)

Raul3
05-31-12, 04:53 PM
I knew it! :up:

JayDerek
05-31-12, 05:55 PM
Just finished. :up: Now that's what I'm talking about. We're back on track. :)

heh heh - awesome. :) Hope you enjoy the rest of the run

slop101
05-31-12, 08:42 PM
Thing is, without the slower, more "boring" (or rather, deliberate) episodes, you wouldn't have the build up and background that's necessary in order to have the "kick-ass" episodes that pay things off.

Michael Corvin
06-01-12, 09:22 AM
I don't agree with that at all, especially given all the characters' turns in the first 6 episodes I discussed above. You can have "deliberate" episodes where the plot actually advances the story or characters and you can have slow, drawn-out episodes where nothing happens. BB chose the latter in this case, IMO.

SubZeri
06-01-12, 12:57 PM
I'm avoiding reading this thread since I just finished season 1 for the first time, but I had to say that it's some of the best television I've ever seen. The season 2 BDs are on the way from Amazon.

This show truly is of the "stop whatever you are doing right now and watch this immediately" variety!

xraybies
06-02-12, 12:47 PM
I finished the 1st 3 seasons on Netflix over the Memorial Day weekend, I was hooked from the 1st episode. I'm catching up to Season 4 now in preparation for the Season 5 premiere, it's gonna be difficult waiting a week between episodes!

dolphinboy
06-02-12, 03:24 PM
Well, I'm to blame for this thread existing, so I just wanted to say, while I just never could get into this show and eventually gave up, Downton Abbey hooked me after about 3 shows. What a VASTLY SUPERIOR show that is compared to this boring turd of a series. ;)

Michael Corvin
06-02-12, 04:30 PM
You're on crack!...er... meth.

Abob Teff
06-02-12, 11:48 PM
It just dawned on me ... is Walter the guy who played the dad on Malcolm in the Middle?!

Raul3
06-03-12, 12:25 AM
It just dawned on me ... is Walter the guy who played the dad on Malcolm in the Middle?!

:lol:

andy434343
06-03-12, 08:06 AM
Call the New York Times immediately.

Michael Corvin
06-03-12, 09:34 AM

http://i313.photobucket.com/albums/ll370/TLNotSoJDM/rkellywtfio8.gif

bdshort
06-03-12, 11:45 AM
Season 4 comes out on BD/DVD on Tuesday, so I've moved it to the top of my Netflix queue. Can't wait to see it!

xraybies
06-04-12, 03:19 AM
Just finished Season 4. Holy Shit Balls, just when you think it couldn't get better they ramp it up another notch! I dunno how they'll top this for Season 5!

CharlieK
06-04-12, 11:21 AM
Can't wait. Can't wait!

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/beaking-bad-season-5-part-1-poster-407x600.jpg

Mike86
06-04-12, 11:44 AM
Damn I can't wait for this to start up. Best show on television far and away. I'm really curious as to what this season will be about. Obviously I'm thinking it will include fallout between Jesse and Walt from Walt poisoning Brock (I have to think Jesse will find out) and Hank piecing together the truth about Walt's activities.

Geofferson
06-04-12, 11:52 AM
Just placed my order for the season 4 BD this morning. Looking forward to re-watching it over the next month in anticipation of the new season.

slop101
06-04-12, 12:11 PM
Can't wait. Can't wait!

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/beaking-bad-season-5-part-1-poster-407x600.jpgAwesome poster, but it could be a spoiler for people who haven't finished season 4.

JayDerek
06-04-12, 12:20 PM
um, this really isn't the thread for discussing Season 5 now is it?

Not sure if this post was intentionally a d-bag move or what, but for christ's sake use SPOILER caps!

Mike86
06-04-12, 12:24 PM
um, this really isn't the thread for discussing Season 5 now is it?

Not sure if this post was intentionally a d-bag move or what, but for christ's sake use SPOILER caps!
It wasn't intentional. I'm fairly certain people have been discussing the show for the past 9 pages?

CharlieK
06-04-12, 12:24 PM
I just took it to be an image poster with all the meth and money surrounded by destruction. I certainly don't want to spoil anyone, so how do you see it tying to S4?

To me, it doesn't look like

the factory / lab they destroyed.

Ohh, unless you mean 'The King' part.

xraybies
06-04-12, 02:41 PM
Yes that picture should be spoilered. Just because Season 5 starts in a month, there's no reason to assume the star of the show survived Season 4.

macnorton
06-04-12, 02:52 PM
That picture is beyond awesome! Should make a great cover the the eventually Blu/DVD release.

Lokimok
06-10-12, 06:32 PM
I see that starting tonight AMC is plowing through all 4 seasons before the July 15th premiere - but they're playing them at really weird, inconsistent times - 2-4 episodes a night. Tonight is the first 2 episodes beginning at 3:12am(e). Anyone who doesn't have the discs may want to dvr & marathon this...

Raul3
06-10-12, 07:21 PM
Or if you really want to watch the series get Netflix. You can instant stream the first 3 seasons. I'm not sure if the last season is there yet. You can even get Netflix free for 2 weeks or 1 month. That should be the fastest way to watch the entire series.

dolphinboy
06-10-12, 08:22 PM
I might actually try to pick this up where I gave up because it was boring the hell out of me to see if I feel differently now.

I quit right around the time when Jesse got his own place and was dating Krysten Ritter. I can't remember how many episodes into that season that I made it, so I'll probably start when they get to season 2. I can always FF past the really bad parts. ;)

Summer tv is so vacant, especially with The Killing, Mad Men and Girls ending this week or next, that I'm willing to give this show another shot. Desperate, I know.

msdmoney
06-11-12, 04:13 AM
I see that starting tonight AMC is plowing through all 4 seasons before the July 15th premiere - but they're playing them at really weird, inconsistent times - 2-4 episodes a night. Tonight is the first 2 episodes beginning at 3:12am(e). Anyone who doesn't have the discs may want to dvr & marathon this...

Yep, I'll be catching Season 4 this way after just blowing through the first three on netflix, can't wait. I waited too long to get into this show. They are at odd times, but easy enough to dvr.

Anubis2005X
06-11-12, 08:18 AM
I might actually try to pick this up where I gave up because it was boring the hell out of me to see if I feel differently now.

Summer tv is so vacant, especially with The Killing ending this week or next...

Breaking Bad was boring you but not The Killing? Does not compute!!! :)

dolphinboy
06-11-12, 08:38 AM
Breaking Bad was boring you but not The Killing? Does not compute!!! :)

I'm just barely riding it out in season two because I want to know how it ends. Season 2 has been painful and it does help a bit to know it won't have a season 3. I'm sure that I could have forced myself to finish season 2 of BB if that was going to be the end. ;)

That said, I like Holder and Linden better than Walt and Jesse. :)

RichC2
06-11-12, 10:48 AM
I'm finally making my way through Season 4, after watching the first few episodes live. Starting around episode 4 the season really takes off and I think this may be the most streamlined and cohesive season so far. I find myself pulling for Walt less and less, and still can't look away. Addictive as ever and no brutally slow rehab episodes or shitty Fly episode this season.

Instead where we had place holders last season, we got Zafiro Anejo.

Raul3
06-11-12, 11:18 AM
Last night I saw a commercial with Walt and Saul. OMG!

Dan
06-11-12, 11:23 AM
Addictive as ever and no brutally slow rehab episodes or shitty Fly episode this season.

Fly was good, dammit. ;)
I've been catching up on all the seasons in the last month and watched Fly just the other day. -ptth-

Michael Corvin
06-11-12, 10:03 PM
Fly was good, dammit. ;)
I've been catching up on all the seasons in the last month and watched Fly just the other day. -ptth-

I had a fly stuck in my office the other day. Got the fucker on my first swing. The mighty Heisneberg needs to work on his technique.

Matt_
06-13-12, 05:08 AM
If anyone is watching the Breaking Bad marathon right now on amc and hasn't seen the later seasons, be careful. Tonight, in between the end of one episode and the beginning of the next one, during a commercial for the BB marathon AMC gave away the ending of season 4.

madcougar
06-13-12, 02:08 PM
I AMC editting the Breaking Bad reruns?

Dr Mabuse
06-13-12, 05:36 PM
Aaron Paul 26 mn ago:

Aaron Paul ‏@aaronpaul_8

The final season of Breaking Bad will in fact be a BLOOD bath.

Michael Corvin
06-13-12, 09:27 PM
No offense but can we avoid season 5 stuff(no matter how vague)?

RichC2
06-13-12, 11:19 PM

Well, technically that's a season 6 spoiler. ;)

Just finished Season 4. Wow. Good, good stuff. I'm not sure if they weren't sure if they were getting a final season or what, but that was almost a satisfying series finale.

I think this qualifies as the most cinematic show I've seen.

mdc3000
06-14-12, 08:09 AM
Every time this thread gets bumped, a little part of me dies. Whenever I see it, even though I know it exists, I'm always surprised all over again, that anyone could possibly ask such a ridiculous question. anyhow, doing a rewatch of the series on my own right now and just finished season 2. Damn that was a good year, with only the Skylar stuff dragging. I was cheering when Gus and Mike showed up the first time. Fun to watch it with all we know now, looking back. I fucking love this show. Counting down days until s5. One Month! :)

Troy Stiffler
06-14-12, 10:15 AM
Damn. I got rid of cable right after season 1 ended. I've been slumming it on Hulu. But I just got Netflix yesterday. I'm loving going back through. I took in five episodes yesterday evening. Netflix ends at season 3, though. I'm getting my fill of good TV. This show is great. I'm excited to get to Half/Full Measure that everyone online creams over.

madcougar
06-14-12, 10:26 AM
Just watched the first episode of season 4. This show cannot possibly get better.

RichC2
06-14-12, 10:42 AM
Just watched the first episode of season 4. This show cannot possibly get better.

Watch the rest of Season 4 :lol:

Anubis2005X
06-14-12, 11:54 PM

Absolutely this.

Troy Stiffler
06-15-12, 01:02 AM
Damn. I'm still on Season 2. Netflix doesn't have Season 4 and I don't like to buy DVD's anymore. I guess I'll see how I feel after Season 3 ends.

aktick
06-15-12, 07:54 AM
^ They're all airing on AMC overnight now. Not sure where they're at right now though. They're doing 2-3 episodes most nights.

dino88
06-15-12, 09:18 AM
Damn. I'm still on Season 2. Netflix doesn't have Season 4 and I don't like to buy DVD's anymore. I guess I'll see how I feel after Season 3 ends.

^ They're all airing on AMC overnight now. Not sure where they're at right now though. They're doing 2-3 episodes most nights.

Season 4 starts on June 23 at 1am (CT). Here's the full schedule:

6/23
E401 - Box Cutter (1:00am)
E402 - Thirty-Eight Snub (2:04am)

6/24
E403 - Open House (3:30am)

6/25
E404 - Bullet Points (1:00am)
E405 - Shotgun (2:04am)
E406 - Cornered (3:08am)

6/26
E407 - Problem Dog (12:30am)
E408 - Hermanos (1:34am)
E409 - Bug (2:38am)
E410 - Salud (3:42am)

6/27
E411 - Crawl Space (1:00am)
E412 - End Times (2:04am)
E413 - Face Off (3:08am)

Then they will start reairing the entire series again, with season 4 starting on July 9 and finishing on July 15 right before the season 5 premiere.

madcougar
06-15-12, 10:54 AM

I'm working on it! ;)

Dr Mabuse
06-15-12, 10:56 AM

I'm offended!

Gunde
06-15-12, 12:38 PM
Crawl Space.

Raul3
06-15-12, 01:17 PM
Crawl Space.

:Orgasm:

Tarantino
06-15-12, 01:51 PM
Crawl Space.

This episode and the episode where Hank goes head to head with the twins are two of the best moments ever shown on television.

Troy Stiffler
06-16-12, 02:17 PM
I'm half way through Season 3. Both wives are as stupid and annoying as Jesse's drug dealers.

Troy Stiffler
06-16-12, 06:55 PM
Damn. I love watching these shows and not having to wait week to week, or even for commercials.

Onto the last episode in Season 3.

PopcornTreeCt
06-16-12, 09:41 PM
I wish AMC could've scheduled it so that we got Mad Men ending and this starting the following week. The wait is killing me.

Troy Stiffler
06-17-12, 12:24 PM
Only thing I don't get... Is Walter really the only one who could cook that meth? I mean, they surveillence the cooks for months. Is it really so proprietary at this point? Otherwise, everything is really tightly written.

And I hate Skyler less going into Season 4. She was really a bitch for two seasons.

aktick
06-17-12, 01:15 PM
I believe one of his excuses was that if anything went wrong, nobody else would be able to figure out how to correct it.

Troy Stiffler
06-17-12, 05:04 PM
Just finished Season 4. I LOVED being able to just watch the whole thing. So that's three seasons in a week. I think it's easier to get involved in the fiction, when it's all at once. I'm glad to see that Season 4 had a lot of closure. After Season 3, I had to keep watching (this show is like crack) and was able to find them online.

I'm going to assume that Walt becomes the new king in Season 5. Or they give it up and focus on an exit strategy. Mike will be back - good character. Ted is dead and that could be a plot point - the loan and IRS stuff could still be a problem. Did Skyler ever learn of Ted's death? I think that Saul never told her. The car wash business could be a problem. Other that that, I think that everything is wiped clean. But there's endless posibilities for different cartels, more legal problems, etc.

Troy Stiffler
06-17-12, 05:06 PM
I believe one of his excuses was that if anything went wrong, nobody else would be able to figure out how to correct it.

Yea. And they filled in that point during Season 4. Even when they were in Mexico, Jesse only acheived 96%. Walter was doing over 99%. And the other chemist said that extra 3% is a big deal.

Raul3
06-17-12, 05:08 PM
Remove the "s" from your spoiler tags.

And I think this show is for the Internet era. I mean is not Lost, that after every episode we there would be 10 page threads, but still, I love reading the BB threads here and elsewhere. And that's one thing I really missed when I was watching The Wire in HBO Go, after an episode ended, instead of clicking next I would have loved to go an Internet forum and discuss it.

Michael Corvin
06-17-12, 08:54 PM
Yeah, I've been going back and reading some of the threads as I watch them. Just read the 4x08 "Hermanos" thread last night after watching it. I got a chuckle out of the Gus possibly being gay talk and that no one saw that coming. :lol: I assumed he was gay pretty much from the get go. Don't want to spoil it for anyone, but everyone who's seen it should know the flashback sequence I'm referring to.

Troy Stiffler
06-17-12, 09:34 PM
And how I wish "Face Off" wasn't already spoiled for me. The show is very unpredictable. But I saw the Face Off ending before, because someone online was like "you need to see this". Actually, I think that it was one of you bastards.

bluetoast
06-17-12, 09:52 PM
Again I am jealous of people who got to see season 4 immediately after season 3. That one year wait was fucking insane.

My Other Self
06-17-12, 10:56 PM
Again I am jealous of people who got to see season 4 immediately after season 3. That one year wait was fucking insane.I had started the show last June and blew through it to the point where I finished Season 3 about 2 weeks before Season 4. I watched the first 2 episodes of S4 and realized I couldn't do the week-to-week thing, it was hard because of how sucked in I was. I ended up waiting until after the finale in October and watched All 13 at once.

I hope I can watch this season one ep at a time but it's just so compelling it's very difficult.