Reload this Page >

Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

Old 06-16-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts
Re: Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

The one thing people seem to ignore the fact that Breaking Bad is perhaps AMCs lowest rated show. That proves more than anything that it isn't for everybody, and whats worse is Half-Measure was the least watched episode of Season 3.

(Fly was 2nd least watched, the phenomenal One Minute was the 3rd least watched.)
Old 06-16-11, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not too surprised to hear this - when I was watching season 1, I watched the first two episodes live, thought it was decent but not amazing and wasn't in a hurry to keep up with it. Then just a few months later, I decided to watch all the eps I had on the dvr and by the end of season 1, I was all in.... since then it has pretty much been my favourite show and people I know are starting to resent me for talking about it so much. I feel like one of those people who will never shut up about the brilliance of "The Wire", while everyone else couldn't care less So in short, finish out season 1 - if you aren't hooked by then, give up.
Old 06-16-11, 09:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Im 99.9% sure this is a bullshit thread meant to get a rise out of people...
This.

I know people have different tastes, but this show is phenomenal.
Old 06-16-11, 10:09 AM

I'm calling bullshit but only because he was bored by this but hooked by the first episode of Mad Men. I can understand it not being to someones tastes but that just makes no damn sense.
Old 06-16-11, 10:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by takingchase
I'm calling bullshit but only because he was bored by this but hooked by the first episode of Mad Men. I can understand it not being to someones tastes but that just makes no damn sense.
Well, I mean, was Joan in the first episode of Mad Men? Cause if so, I could kind of understand...
Old 06-16-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hmm, I was hooked from the first scene..hell, the first SHOT of the series.
Old 06-16-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 270 Likes on 203 Posts

I was hooked on this show since I first saw episode 1 last year. For comparison, my all time favorite shows (that have ended) are The Shield, The Wire, Deadwood and Oz.

Right now only Mad Men and Breaking Bad can approach them. Dexter is good, but distant.
Old 06-16-11, 12:21 PM

This is a show that hooked me almost immediately. I think by the time I was 3 episodes in I was in love with it. It may just be something that isn't for you, and even though I like Mad Men even a little more than Breaking Bad, I'm pretty amazed that the first episode of MM hooked you and BB didn't. Mad Men took a little bit of time for me to appreciate, personally.
Old 06-16-11, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts

There was a lady who blogged her adventure through Breaking Bad - she didn't care for seasons 1 or 2 all that much but got through them. Around half way through S3 she got herself hooked on it.

That's a long way to go to start appreciating something.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....aking-bad.html
Old 06-16-11, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

You should know it only gets darker as you get into seasons 2 and 3, so it just may not be for you. For me, I consider it one of the best TV shows ever.
Old 06-16-11, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks to the few people who actually were kind enough to allow me to have my opinion, not call me an idiot, and a troll, etc. (special thanks to Dino).

I've been around here for a decade and this is the first time I've been come after by a mob with pitchforks in the TV forum, despite other times of not agreeing with the majority or having the same feelings about something as another poster. And I've never been called a troll, so that's a first.

I hope no one takes any offense to me not adding any additional comments, because it seems clear they won't be accepted as valid by most of you.
Old 06-16-11, 02:03 PM

Hey, dolphinboy, I felt the same way you did after 3 episodes and I also quit watching and never looked back. Not everything is for everyone. No matter the quality of the show, I found it far too bleak and depressing to start, and not compelling enough to make up for how black the show was.
Old 06-16-11, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Thanks to the few people who actually were kind enough to allow me to have my opinion, not call me an idiot, and a troll, etc. (special thanks to Dino).

I've been around here for a decade and this is the first time I've been come after by a mob with pitchforks in the TV forum, despite other times of not agreeing with the majority or having the same feelings about something as another poster. And I've never been called a troll, so that's a first.

I hope no one takes any offense to me not adding any additional comments, because it seems clear they won't be accepted as valid by most of you.
Most of the replies are "Yes, it gets better. I love the show" or "I got hooked right away."

I also don't think rating = quality. It is a hard show to just jump on, especially when most of the shows on TV you can without any effort. Just because a channel surfer is more likely to stop on WipeOut, it does not mean it is a superior show... only more accessible. The high critical reviews and awards are a better barometer.
Old 06-16-11, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I've been around here for a decade and this is the first time I've been come after by a mob with pitchforks in the TV forum, .
Say Iron man is better than The Dark Knight, Or say something bad about arrested development or Buffy, and you will have collective masses crush your soul
Old 06-16-11, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The responses should tell you what kind of ardent fans the show has.

If you already have the 3 seasons and you are not bored, it doesn't fill your expectations, I get that, just try to watch it. I loved it from the first episode and right now if I could marry the show I would do it. So you may feel that the show is so so right now, maybe by the third season you'll like.

Just saying.
Old 06-16-11, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Is Osama Bin Laden dead?
Old 06-16-11, 05:48 PM

Best show on TV, so it's a troll thread. It has to be.
Old 06-16-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Dolphinboy doesn't troll.

My two cents...

While I enjoyed season one, I thought seasons two and three were definitely in the conversation for the "best show on TV". I think Hank becoming a more three dimensional character helps.
Old 06-16-11, 08:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
You bought the fucking thing on Blu ray for 3 seasons having never watched an episode.

I say give up and sell me the 3 seasons for a fair price. I already own Season 3 on Blu ray but will happily take 1 & 2 off your hands.
It's not that crazy. I did this with the Wire. Bought the box set on DVD having never watched an episode. One of the best purchases I've ever made.
Old 06-16-11, 08:51 PM

I don't get why people who express a minority opinion are just assumed to be trolling... dolphinboy has a huge # of posts here and I assume he's trying to get an honest take on whether it's worth investing at least a few more hours into the show before dropping it.

It also took me a few episodes to get into the show... while I didn't think it was boring I wasn't liking the Walter character early on either and thought his transformation was too fast. Season 1 got better as it went on and seasons 2 and 3 were significantly better.

I don't agree with the mob here that says if you don't like the first few, the show isn't for you. I'd say give it 5 or 6 shows and if you think it's getting better you'll probably like it as seasons 2 and 3 get even better. For me episode 6 (Tuco) was where the show really started to take off - I'd say you should at least give it until that show.
Old 06-16-11, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by wirefan
I don't get why people who express a minority opinion are just assumed to be trolling... dolphinboy has a huge # of posts here and I assume he's trying to get an honest take on whether it's worth investing at least a few more hours into the show before dropping it.
The sad truth is that you never know who's trolling and who isn't, so I think everybody always has a sliver of doubt whenever someone comes up with such a vastly dissenting opinion. I don't actually think he's trolling, but I can see how people might reach that opinion.

I think it's mainly the claim that the first three episodes are boring. Over the course of these episodes, the main character started out as a repressed high school teacher with a pretty normal life and over the course of three episodes, he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, started cooking meth, and killed two people and disposed of the bodies. That's a lot of stuff to happen over three episodes of television. The funny thing is that when the episodes first aired, people were complaining that episodes 4 and 5 were too boring after the eventful first episodes, so it's just a little surprising to hear someone call the first three episodes dull.

Now, he did say that he didn't like how all the time was spent dealing with Emilio and Krazy 8, but that's just how the show is. It has a very deliberate pace and really takes the time to show the consequences of certain actions. That's one of the things that really got me hooked on the show early on. I remember being absolutely floored (in a good way) that the show was actually spending so much time on the Emilio/K8 situation, really showing that it wasn't an easy decision to take a life/dispose of a body.
Old 06-16-11, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by wirefan

It also took me a few episodes to get into the show... while I didn't think it was boring I wasn't liking the Walter character early on either and thought his transformation was too fast. Season 1 got better as it went on and seasons 2 and 3 were significantly better.

I don't agree with the mob here that says if you don't like the first few, the show isn't for you. I'd say give it 5 or 6 shows and if you think it's getting better you'll probably like it as seasons 2 and 3 get even better. For me episode 6 (Tuco) was where the show really started to take off - I'd say you should at least give it until that show.
Well like I said, I can certainly understand if the show isn't someones cup of tea. My reason for thinking of trolling is I just cannot see how the first episode of Mad Men got you hooked and yet you think the first of Breaking Bad is boring. I just can't see that. Mad Men is a great show but it takes awhile to get going.

And blind buying 3 seasons is nuts. I've blind bought 1 season but that's all, I would never get more than 1 to try not knowing if I'll like it or not.

Last edited by takingchase; 06-17-11 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-16-11, 09:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I came into the show similarly to the OP. I had heard about the show, and one of my friends said it was the best show on TV, so I finally tried it out from Netflix.

At first I was not impressed. In fact, I was shocked at the praise the show got. The characters were self-centered or self-deluded, and the subplot about the sister in law stealing felt shoehorned in just to add more drama. But somewhere halfway through season one, things turned around, and seasons two and three are absolutely stellar.

Stick with it through the first few episodes of season two. If you don't like it by then, you won't like it at all.

Also, The Walking Dead started off well but descended into pure and utter crap. The final episode was sickeningly bad.
Old 06-16-11, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I came into the show similarly to the OP. I had heard about the show, and one of my friends said it was the best show on TV, so I finally tried it out from Netflix.

At first I was not impressed. In fact, I was shocked at the praise the show got. The characters were self-centered or self-deluded, and the subplot about the sister in law stealing felt shoehorned in just to add more drama. But somewhere halfway through season one, things turned around, and seasons two and three are absolutely stellar.

Stick with it through the first few episodes of season two. If you don't like it by then, you won't like it at all.

Also, The Walking Dead started off well but descended into pure and utter crap. The final episode was sickeningly bad.
Yeah, I was all kinds of in love with that first episode but everything after just got worse and worse to the point where I have yet to watch the season finale of Walking Dead, I just don't care about the show anymore.
Old 06-17-11, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Personally, I watched through the second episode of season 2 and stopped. The show wasn't bad, but I figured 9 episodes in if it didn't "grab me" - it just wasn't for me. Glad to hear there is at least one other person who doesn't think I'm crazy...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.