Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Upgrading my tv and blu ray player--need a little help

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-11, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I'm finally upgrading my "main" home theater tv. Currently I have an old crappy, somewhat broken 65 inch DLP tv hooked up to a Snell 5.1 system with a Velodyne sub woofer, Arcam AVP700 processor, Arcam P1000 amp and a Panasonic DMP-BD30 blu ray player.

I'm happy with my audio equipment, although I'm thinking about going to 7.1.

Anyway, I desperately need a new tv and I'm thinking while I'm at it I should upgrade my blu ray player as well.

I won't say that money is no object, but I definitely want a tv with VERY good picture quality. The tv will be used almost exclusively for blu ray movies. My home theater is set up in the basement and I have another tv upstairs in the living room. I have a Wii and Xbox downstairs but really don't play a lot of video games. I watch some tv and sporting events downstairs but I actually watch most of my tv upstairs and for the most part only watch movies downstairs.

So basically I'm looking for the best tv for watching blu ray movies. I don't care if it's plasma, lcd or led. I have NO interest in 3d.

I found a 64 inch Samsung--PN64D8000 that seems to be getting good reviews. Does anybody have any thoughts on that model? I'm definitely open to other makes and models too. Like I said, I'm just looking for the best blu ray picture quality. I think I want to stay in or around the same size range as well. The PN64D8000 seems to be around $3000-3500. I'd probably be willing to go up to $5000-6000, but if there isn't a lot of improvement I see no reason to spend another $3000.

I also need some recommendations for blu ray players. Again, looking for very good picture quality. Good sound is important to me too. I guess I don't even know if blu ray players have anything to do with sound, but if they do, I don't want to sacrifice audio quality for picture quality. I'd rather just look at a different model. Since I'm willing to shell out some serious bucks for a new tv, I'm also willing to pay for a quality blu ray player, but once again, I don't want to pay a huge premium for not a lot of benefit.

Thanks guys. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-13-11, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Upgrading my tv and blu ray player--need a little help

I think the Panasonic VT series plasmas are generally considered the best these days.
Old 06-13-11, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I think the Panasonic VT series plasmas are generally considered the best these days.
I read a cnet review of the Samsung I referenced and the review also mentioned the VT series. The review said the Samsung's picture quality was just as good. I can only assume the two are very similar.

Is there any reason NOT to get a plasma? I've read that by and large plasmas have the best picture quality.
Old 06-14-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BD players generally have excellent video and audio quality. There is difference in how they handle DVD video, of course, although you suggested that is not important here. And some handle more disc formats for audio, such as SACD. If any of that is a concern, the Oppo models are at the top for everything. Otherwise, any of the big name brands should actually be quite good.

The only reasons (IMO) not to get a plasma would be size or if you want a projector. 60" is within plasma range, so size is not an issue for you. A projector is more work, but can be almost any size you desire.

However, one concern would be the HD audio formats. I don't think your processor can handle them. So, unless you also want to shop for a new processor, you would want a BDp with 7.1 analog output to get the best sound. Again, Oppo would be the choice. They begin at $500 and go up. Every other mfgr seems to have dropped the 7.1 analog output.
Old 06-14-11, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Spiky
BD players generally have excellent video and audio quality. There is difference in how they handle DVD video, of course, although you suggested that is not important here. And some handle more disc formats for audio, such as SACD. If any of that is a concern, the Oppo models are at the top for everything. Otherwise, any of the big name brands should actually be quite good.

The only reasons (IMO) not to get a plasma would be size or if you want a projector. 60" is within plasma range, so size is not an issue for you. A projector is more work, but can be almost any size you desire.

However, one concern would be the HD audio formats. I don't think your processor can handle them. So, unless you also want to shop for a new processor, you would want a BDp with 7.1 analog output to get the best sound. Again, Oppo would be the choice. They begin at $500 and go up. Every other mfgr seems to have dropped the 7.1 analog output.
Sorry, but what do you mean that my processor can't handle HD audio formats?
Old 06-15-11, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 413 Likes on 358 Posts

Spiky mentioned it, but I'd go projector. Nothing says "man cave" like a screen you measure in feet.

And my projector is the best image in my entire house.

And for movies nothing brings you "into" the movie like size. I'm a big Panny Plasma fan. And I won't argue if it has a better picture than many projectors. But I will tell you, I wouldn't trade my current 720p projector on a 94" screen for a 60 panny plasma. I love the image I get. And it is big. And best bang for your buck (of course I'd look at the mid-priced 1080p models today).
Old 06-15-11, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Sorry, but what do you mean that my processor can't handle HD audio formats?
Unless I missed upgrades or something, it can't decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio, or I'm betting even 6-8 channel generic 24/96 LPCM (although it probably can handle 2 channel), which are the better codecs that are found on most blurays. These must be passed over HDMI. It can play them via the multichannel analog input, though. That is what I do with my older receiver.
Old 06-15-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The PN64D8000 is an excellent TV. I have the predecessor at 63" and am totally pleased. I only seriously considered the Samsung C and D series plasmas and the Panasonic VT series plasmas.