Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning (Fall 2011)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

http://www.gracefordrowning.com/

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/24819409?color=ffffff" width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning (album teaser) from Kscope on Vimeo.

Taken from Steven Wilson's Facebook page:

The new solo album website will probably launch in early June now. The music is done, but we're still working on film material and the deluxe edition. It's presented as two 40-45 minute albums in the same package (which begs the question; when is a double album not a double album? When it's 2 single albums issued together!) The album titles are "Deform to Form a Star" and "Like Dust I Have Cleared From My Eye".
Thanks for all the wonderful feedback regarding my new solo record! Sorry, but Cut Ribbon once again failed to make the cut - although the 12 tracks / 84 minutes of music I've selected for the main release is quite eclectic, it has in common a pretty organic feel, mostly inspired by the darker end of vintage progressive music and some movie soundtrack stuff (Morricone especially). The sound palette is made up of things like strings, choir, woodwinds, mellotron, organ, piano, fender rhodes, jazz drums, and warmer guitar tones, so the shiny metal attack of Cut Ribbon just doesn't fit. But the track is all mixed and finished and sounds good, so I'll find somewhere to release it. Definitely the album will come out on double vinyl too. Love the new Radiohead album! Here's another still from the work in progress films Lasse is working on to include on the blu-ray version of the album.
My second solo album is nearing completion. It will be in the form of 2 separate 40 minute albums released in the same 2 CD set, and will also come as a blu-ray with surround mix, high definition stereo and a lot of visual material (Lasse is already working hard on films for many of the songs, attached is a still from one of these we shot a couple of weeks ago to a song called "Index"). We're also planning a special Insurgentes style hard back book edition with a full length bonus CD of additional material. A year in the making, this is without doubt my biggest project to date, perhaps my most ambitious and personal music, and with some phenomenal musicians and performances on it (drummer Nic France in particular is going to blow a lot of people away). We hope a website will launch around April/May to start previewing material, with the album scheduled for September. More soon....
I'm a big fan of Wilson's, mostly Porcupine Tree and his first solo album, although his other projects do have some attraction. Needless to say, I'll be picking this album up as soon as it's released.
Old 06-10-11, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Steven Wilson - Grace For Drowning (Fall 2011)

This is one of my most anticipated albums of the year. I've been a huge PT fan for some time now, as I got on board just a little after In Absentia came out. I love his last solo album, and I also like Blackfield a lot, No-Man slightly less, and I would say all of his music is either enjoyable or interesting to some extent.
Old 06-10-11, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

To hear Wilson say this is his biggest project to date is really setting the bar high for me. He's done so much successfully.

It took me more listens to truly digest Insurgentes than PT or Blackfield, but once I did it just kept rewarding me with new details.
Old 06-24-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New clip:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/25403618?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0" width="400" height="400" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning (album cover reveal) from Kscope on Vimeo.

Old 06-26-11, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Jesus Christ, those previews sound fucking dark, even for him. Can't wait!
Old 06-26-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man I am really liking what I've heard. I don't even want to hear much more - rather just take it in fresh all at once.
Old 07-21-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The website has been updated with info, samples, and a track for download.

http://www.gracefordrowning.com/
Old 09-05-11, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ok so I stumbled on this on Amazon and you can preorder for $9.95. So I did. But is it just the regular release? I went to the website and theres that deluxe set, the vinyl, and the regular one? I was hoping thered be a version with a dvd and 5.1
Old 09-06-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Limited Edition Box Set has a 5.1 Blu-ray:

http://www.newburycomics.com/rel/v2_...c=103-1600822N

I'll be getting that one. I want to have my first listen be the full surround experience.
Old 09-08-11, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$90??? WtF!
Old 09-09-11, 09:29 PM

Pretty sure that SW has already said that the Blu will be released separately down the road. I'm sticking with the regular CD set for 10 bucks, I'll order the Blu when/if it's released.
Old 09-13-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Burningshed has the "Grace For Drowning" BD up for preorder.

http://www.burningshed.com/store/ste...oduct/65/3266/

The Amazon listing (DVD-Audio reference in title but BD reference in details) is back online.

http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Drowning...5950994&sr=8-3

I just ordered the BD + CD from Amazon and got free shipping.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 09-13-11 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-13-11, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm didn't think the individual Blu-ray would be released so soon. Now I'm tempted to cancel my Limited Edition order. Unless I'm mistaken, it seems like the same content from the deluxe edition is included between the individual CD and BD releases. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong please?
Old 09-14-11, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

NOne of the links work for me. I have the CD on preorder for $9 but youre saying a seperate blu will come out as well? I never saw that mentioned on the official site
Old 09-14-11, 10:06 PM

Link doesn't work for me either, but searching for the album title on Amazon brings up the Blu. See if this link works:

http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Drowning...6055910&sr=1-4
Old 10-08-11, 05:41 PM

My special edition came in the mail on Thursday. So far I've only given the first disc a fair listen (or three) and I absolutely love it. I need to listen to disc 2 (and the outtakes) a bit more, but I seriously can't think of an album I enjoy more than the first disc of this from this year or the last few.
Old 10-09-11, 03:22 PM

I'm happy I spent a small fortune on my headphones a few months ago.. I really like these discs. they sound incredible.
been a PT fan since the late 90's. Steven Wilson is so amazing.
Old 10-12-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's such a great album. I'm not even sure I could spend the time trying to type out why I like it so much. Definitely one of the best things I've heard this year, if not THE best.
Old 10-12-11, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by mndtrp
It's such a great album. I'm not even sure I could spend the time trying to type out why I like it so much. Definitely one of the best things I've heard this year, if not THE best.
this is a recent casualty of my 'to listen to' pile - ugh ... got to find the time to listen to this now!!
Old 10-13-11, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've only heard this once in the car so I don't remember much. I won't listen to it again until I can sit down in my home theater and just let the 5.1 Blu-ray play.
Old 10-14-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm really liking this. The band he assembled is stellar and he really lets them shine. This pairs nicely with classic King Crimson.
Old 10-21-11, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After a few listens this one is really starting to gel with me. I think Raider II will take a little more digestion.

"Postcard" could have easily been on the last Blackfield.
Old 10-22-11, 01:59 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

I picked this up yesterday. A local store had the 2CD set and the single Blu-ray. I bought both. The 5.1 mix on the Blu-ray is great; very little gimmicky effects and fantastic sound quality. I'm keeping the CDs in my car for now.

For those who are interested, Spotify has the Postcard single, which includes two remixes of Postcard and a remix of Index; all of which are actually pretty good, too.
Old 11-04-11, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finally got around to listening to this one today... and was extremely underwhelmed. I love SW's work in Porcupine Tree but this is the first time I've heard him solo. Maybe I need to give it another chance, but frankly I was pretty bored. The album seemed to be filled with meandering songs that just didn't catch or interest me at all.
Old 11-04-11, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Give it about 4-5 listens I think. First listen didn't do much for me either, but it was admittedly in the car broken up into two trips.

It takes a while to absorb - probably longer than Insurgentes. I've often been of a mind that if a record takes that many listens to like, it must not be special, but I think that kind of rule applies more to simple music. GFD is very complex. I've grown to really love this record. The instrumentation is just fantastic. A song like "Deform to Form a Star" seems like a Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun era PT song, whereas "Postcard" sounds like Blackfield to me. Probably my favorite song is "No Part of Me" - love the orchestration and bass on that one.

I know it's going to be a let down to hear it live as it won't be as lush or full, but can't wait to see him in Chicago in two weeks, especially considering Blackfield had to be cancelled back in May.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.