Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2001: A Space Odyssey - Your thoughts

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-11, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just watched this movie for the first time ever at 38 years old. I have always heard how great a movie it was , a classic , and a must see.

Turns out I dislike this classic movie.
Terrible pacing with 20 minutes of fluff at the begining with the evoltion of man. It takes 10 minutes of screen time everytime a ship lands or takes off. It takes another 20 minutes of traveling through light and shots of Dave's eye at the end.
I love a slow pacing when it adds to the development of a character or situation but this seems to be time filler. Tighten this up by 40 minutes and the film would benifit from it.

Someone explain the ending to me. I have no idea where Dave traveled. Nor do I understand what he saw. Old man eatting, old man dying, and a baby in a sphere?
What the heck was all that.

Kubrick did one thing very well in my opinion. It was visually appealing to me. Outdated of course by today's standards but the sets and particularly the shots of the moon and planets created an epic feel.
Old 06-06-11, 04:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey - Your thoughts

There isn't a single wasted nanosecond in 2001: A Space Odyssey. It is the greatest film ever made in my opinion and has so much going on that it's difficult to take it all in on a first viewing.
Old 06-06-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by New-AgeOutlaw
I just watched this movie for the first time ever at 38 years old. I have always heard how great a movie it was , a classic , and a must see.

Terrible pacing with 20 minutes of fluff at the begining with the evoltion of man. It takes 10 minutes of screen time everytime a ship lands or takes off. It takes another 20 minutes of traveling through light and shots of Dave's eye at the end.
I love a slow pacing when it adds to the development of a character or situation but this seems to be time filler. Tighten this up by 40 minutes and the film would benifit from it.

Someone explain the ending to me. I have no idea where Dave traveled. Nor do I understand what he saw. Old man eatting, old man dying, and a baby in a sphere?

Kubrick did one thing very well in my opinion. It was visually appealing to me. Outdated of course by today's standards but the sets and particularly the shots of the moon and planets created an epic feel.
what? it looks fucking REAL
Old 06-06-11, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, it's not wasting anything. It's all there for a reason. And it works.

I don't consider it dated at all. Many many of the effects shots work today. Kubrick was perfectionist and it showed w/ those effects. Many films set in space come in no way to the talent and work w/ the effects on 2001. Some shots sure..fine, I'd agree w/ you..but many? no. they still hold strong.
Old 06-06-11, 04:50 PM
Banned by request

It's hard to see how impressive the effects are if you're not seeing it on film.
Old 06-06-11, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

here you go, this is probably more up your alley

Old 06-06-11, 05:01 PM
Banned

Even on DVD the effects are great. Mindboggling they are at times..even the most simplest of them made go made till i found out how...

that damn floating pen...looks so real and it was done so easy as well....no wires..just..the pen and that material SK used for it to stick on there...
Old 06-06-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
There isn't a single wasted nanosecond in 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Ding, ding.
Old 06-06-11, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
There isn't a single wasted nanosecond in 2001: A Space Odyssey. It is the greatest film ever made in my opinion and has so much going on that it's difficult to take it all in on a first viewing.
Agreed on all accounts.

2001 was the film that proved to me that movies can be art, and that using my own intelligence to interpret and analyze such art can be a richly rewarding personal experience that binds me on some kind of level with the filmmaker. It's at the top of my "Best movies of all time" list. I've watched it dozens of times, and have never been bored. If you're interested in film as anything other than time-killing entertainment, I'd recommend watching it again. And then again.
Old 06-06-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Tighten by 40 mins? That's almost the most insane thing I've ever heard.
Old 06-06-11, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Tighten by 40 mins? That's almost the most insane thing I've ever heard.
not if he spent 40 minutes between the intermission and the resumption of the movie
Old 06-06-11, 05:49 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Terrible pacing with 20 minutes of fluff at the begining with the evoltion of man.
The purpose of this fluff was to illustrate that untold billions of people with the intellect of New Age Outlaw will flicker and die in a moment of time that is but a blink of the eye when measured against the age of the cosmos. The fact that this was lost on you is the point.
Old 06-06-11, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love art films and have become a bit of snob and I do understand the praise for 2001, but I don't think the film works. I like the pacing, I like the scene with the monkeys picking up the bone, and I really like the very end of the film. It's the middle that I don't like. I just don't like any of the spaces ship scenes.

IMO, Tarkovsky's Solaris is the superior sci-fi film and the greatest sci-fi movie of all-time.
Old 06-06-11, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I love art films and have become a bit of snob and I do understand the praise for 2001, but I don't think the film works. I like the pacing, I like the scene with the monkeys picking up the bone, and I really like the very end of the film. It's the middle that I don't like. I just don't like any of the spaces ship scenes.

IMO, Tarkovsky's Solaris is the superior sci-fi film and the greatest sci-fi movie of all-time.
Care to elaborate? I'd better understand if you didn't like the beginning or end..but never heard anyone not like the middle and like the others.
Old 06-06-11, 06:26 PM
Banned by request

I love Solaris as well but I think that is a film that could be tightened up. Not by a lot, but a few trims here and there.
Old 06-06-11, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything that Suprmallet said. This movie is magnificent.
Old 06-06-11, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a great film.
Old 06-06-11, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
It's not really fair to compare other directors to Tarkovsky. He's on a level no one else can compete with.
Old 06-06-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Care to elaborate? I'd better understand if you didn't like the beginning or end..but never heard anyone not like the middle and like the others.
They just lack the epic-ness of the rest of the film. It's like all of a sudden there's dialogue and characters and story in this art film.
Old 06-06-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by New-AgeOutlaw

Uh-oh. Looks like Spottedfeather and Zubidoo have a new soulmate.

"You're next! You're next!"
Old 06-06-11, 07:21 PM

Hey, I am definatly no movie critic. I like what i like and Don't what I don't.
Just like a wine, amovie isn't necissarily your taste, but that doesn't make it bad.
That is why I asked for the yet unexplained explaination for the ending.

Also, I did mention that I appreciated many of the sets and shots of space.
The effects are dated though just as they get in every movie eventually
Thats what happens, new techniques and technology comes along.

How does a ship taking 10 minutes to land equate to The purpose of this fluff was to illustrate that untold billions of people with the intellect of New Age Outlaw will flicker and die in a moment of time that is but a blink of the eye when measured against the age of the cosmos

By the way, thanks for taking that I dont like a film you do as an opporunity to insult my intellect.

With all the cool effects - like the close up of the moon and the woman with the grip slippers walking upside down - the ending with all the lights shooting past that lasted for 20 minutes or so was really cheesy. i can do that effect with my sony handycam.

Musik I just see a red X so what is up my alley. I assume it is a demeaning movie to show my lack of intellect. By viewing the code for this page i determined your red X was meant to be Space Cowboys. I don't know if you meant it as an insult or just a sugestion but I do like that movie.Its a fun movie with 5 of my favorite actors (Eastwood,Jones,Sutherland,Garner,and Cromwell)

Last edited by New-AgeOutlaw; 06-06-11 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Elaborating on Musick's post
Old 06-06-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've said this before but I appreciate the movie. I appreciate the work that went into it. I appreciate Kubrick's vision and I can totally get on board with the fact that many people consider it to be one of the greatest movies ever made. However, I can't stand the movie. I would love to like it but I just don't. I've watched it many times, I've read up on it to try to understand it as best I can and I truly believe I understand the point of the movie but I just can't sit through it.

I find it unbelievably boring and simply too slow. The entire movie could easily be handled in a 22 minute tv show. The monolith causes evolution. That's essentially the entire plot of the movie.

To answer you question, through the monolith in Jupiter's orbit, Bowman is transported to another world in an unknown part of the galaxy. Basically he goes through a wormhole. Since the monolith more or less causes or speeds up the evolution process, he then evolves into a "more evolved" entity and is transported Back to our solar system. What he/it does once he's back in our solar system is not explained.

I'll never rip on 2001. I totally understand that it's one of the greatest achievements in the history of film but I really don't care for it. I actually watched 2010 for the first time recently and liked it better than 2001.

Last edited by whoopdido; 06-06-11 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-06-11, 07:33 PM

Again, I am not ripping this movie or any of its die hard fans.
As I pointed out I usually like slow building movies that work towards the advancement of characters or storylines. I just don't see how this movie does that.
I hate movies that are too fast paced that jump cut every 10 seconds.

This is only my 2nd Kubrick film (The Shinning) and I am 50/50 with him.
the slow build of Jack's mental state in that movie was right on, if not a little too fast compared to the book.

I have A Clockwork Orange, so i may try that one soon.
Old 06-06-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kubrick was a wonderful director. A genius in many ways and probably one of the best directors in history. He made a number of truly great movies, 2001 being one of them, but I find many of his other movies MUCH more enjoyable than 2001.

I would wager that you'll enjoy A Clockwork Orange.
Old 06-06-11, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well said whoopdido, you pretty much summed up all my feelings about 2001 and said it better than me. Though I enjoy parts of it.

Kubrick is one of the greatest ever and I love all his films but I like 2001 least of them.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.