Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : WWE '12 - November 22, 2011.

Sonny Corinthos
06-01-11, 07:43 PM
SmackDown vs. Raw is dead, and THQ's fixing the stuff you complain about.

For years WWE SmackDown vs. Raw has been the Sports Entertainment simulation series from THQ and Yuke's Yokohama. It's been a fun ride, but as with any franchise, fans have complained about annual aspects over and over again. Turns out the developers were listening, killed the series, and are planning on fixing things with WWE '12.

The stiff animations, the characters warping into place for certain moves, the confusing right analog stick controls for grapples -- WWE '12 is addressing all of that and feels good so far. That's pretty damn exciting.

THE NUTS AND BOLTS STUFF

Now, it would be easy to glance at screenshots and assume THQ and developer Yuke's Yokohama just dumped the WWE SmackDown vs. Raw name and called it a day. That's what I did. For a few days leading into my meeting, THQ had been telling me this game was going to be unlike any other WWE game I had seen, but when I finally laid eyes on it, WWE '12 sure did look similar to WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2011.

Then, I started to play it. THQ and Yuke's didn't just change the name, they changed the game's DNA. There's a new animation system, new blending methods, something called "Predator Technology" -- basically, they went under the game's hood and ripped out all the old stuff that people hated and plugged in brand new parts to try and make the most fluid wrestling game around.

When John Cena's suplexing an opponent, a third Superstar can punch Cena and break up the move. You can do that for any move -- even Finishers and mini-games like the Royal Rumble eliminations. When you're slammed to the mat at the beginning of a bout, you're going to sell the move and get up at the same time so that the match keeps a fast-paced feel. When you're getting up from any move, you're going to have a window to strike before you're even to your feet. The goal is to have a game that feels like anything can happen from any position and eradicate that stiffness and clunkiness that has always been a calling card of WWE SmackDown vs. Raw.

For me, it all came together watching a three-man match. Orton laid out an opponent and went to the ring apron, Cena immediately started his 5-Knuckle Shuffle routine on the downed man, and as Cena was coming down, Randy Orton launched himself from the apron to land a splash. Orton hit, Cena hit, and Orton hit again. The sequence was polished and fast -- it looked like a spot from ECW of old. There was no blown animation as the character on the ground reacted to the first move and ignored the other.

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/117/1171529/tba-wwe-12-20110530112110406-000.jpg

People don't warp to the center of the ring for a 5-Knuckle Shuffle and similar moves anymore; the move happens where it happens. The ropes no longer stay awkwardly still during matches; you slam someone and the ring reacts. The tired fonts and menus of old have been ditched for a new setup. Visually, new shaders and tech have been introduced to make the game look better than ever. There's definition to the character's faces instead of the blur there was last year, and depth of field has been introduced to give the brand new arenas weight and realism.

The game, according to THQ, has been taken apart and put back together, and from the little I've seen, I believe them -- though the changes aren't monumental when you stare at a still image, they shine in motion.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FiLQLLDqnbs?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FiLQLLDqnbs?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Link to the story. (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1171529p1.html)

chuckd21
06-01-11, 07:50 PM
So they killed the previous annual series to launch... an annual series.

Kedrix
06-01-11, 07:53 PM
Heh, my copy of SvsR 2011 is still sealed. Hrmm, maybe I should get on that ;)

TheKing
06-01-11, 08:44 PM
So they killed the previous annual series to launch... an annual series.

That's what THQ is contracted to do. WWE wants a game every year from this franchise. It's not the first time this has happened in gaming.

EA had Triple Play Baseball for years. It sold very well, but as it got older the game devolved into an unrealistic mess that fell behind the competition. The name itself had been tainted by the poor quality of the games, while High Heat Baseball and other games were kicking it's ass.

EA went back to the drawing board and built a new game from the wreckage of the old. The new game was called MVP Baseball. The first version ('03) wasn't great, but it was far better than Triple Play had been. MVP '04 was solid, and then they hit a home run with '05. Unfortunately for EA and fans of the game 2K bought out 3rd party rights to MLB games and MVP was relegated to being a college game in '06. I know of many people who still play '05 on the PC and keep it as up to date as they can.

It's not even the first time this series has done it, having started out as just SmackDown. I'm not saying WWE '12 is going to be great, but there is at least a chance that they're doing something right. SvR was getting tired, and with WWE dropping the Bragging Rights PPV, and seemingly on the verge of dropping the brand rivalry completely, this was the right time to change the name.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Being able to break up moves is a huge step in the right direction. But I got sucked in by the hype machine last year, hooked on the idea that Universe mode would be a game changer, when all it really did was get in the way. I'm hoping they improve that in Universe 2.0.

At this point, I'm not getting hyped until I see it in action.

UncleGramps
06-01-11, 08:51 PM
Since I'm already in a negative mood tonight, I have to say that the trailer doesn't really look like anything all that new or groundbreaking. While I did enjoy SvR11, I think WWE All-Stars was probably the most enjoyable wrestling game in quite a while. I like how it just went completely over the top instead of trying to treat pro wrestling like a sport. I think the arcade fighter approach is a better fit.

Tarantino
06-02-11, 04:27 AM
Still waiting for a wrestling game as fun & playable as No Mercy on the N64...

nickdawgy
06-02-11, 07:14 PM
The last couple of SVR's were fun, maybe you should try those.

DthRdrX
06-02-11, 07:50 PM
The last couple of SVR's were fun, maybe you should try those.

I've tried them all and still can't stand them. I just wish they'd go back to the old WCW/WWF control scheme they used. The N64 games had a fun level that is still untouched by anything since IMO.

Nesbit
06-02-11, 08:01 PM

I haven't bought a wrestling game since No Mercy.

Robot Rock
06-02-11, 10:52 PM
Quit living in the past. The new batch of WWE games have been great.

King Felix
06-03-11, 08:19 AM

they have been terrible

Kedrix
06-03-11, 11:12 AM

they have been terrible

I disagree that SvR games are terrible. While I admit No Mercy was a damn fine engine, it is simply silly at this point over 10 years later to expect them to go back to that engine. But without fail with every wrestling game released, "QQ, I want No Mercy". Then go get a N64 and play it to death.

Smackdown/Smackdown vs Raw has had its moments. I still think Smackdown 2, Smackdown: Here Comes the Pain and SvsR 2010 (I haven't played 2011) were all great games and fine examples of the engine. Sure, there has been some misteps but typically those are releases that were at the beginning of a console's life (JBI, Playstation 2, Svs R 2007 - 360, etc).

We will see how this one goes.

Dean Kousoulas
06-03-11, 12:06 PM
I was ready to give up on SvR after 2009, which in my opinion was the worst of the current gen games. Then 2010 and 2011 made me change my mind.

My favorite is still either Shut Your Mouth or Here Comes The Pain.

boredsilly
06-04-11, 06:34 AM
I disagree that SvR games are terrible. While I admit No Mercy was a damn fine engine, it is simply silly at this point over 10 years later to expect them to go back to that engine. But without fail with every wrestling game released, "QQ, I want No Mercy". Then go get a N64 and play it to death.

I can certainly see how that could get old, even if I am one of those dudes. I've tried the Smackdown v Raw games, and while they are put together solidly, I've never ever found them fun. Allstars, was a very thin game, but of what I played of it at least it was a good time. The simulation aspect of Smack v Raw is cool if you're locked into that games controls, but to me they've always felt clunky and unresponsive. And I couldn't stand the way reversals worked.

I did recently pull out No Mercy, and while that game is painfully ugly, it's still as fun as ever. In a perfect world, you'd have the full retail WWE games, and then have a new version of the THQ/AKI games, with just updated, downloadable game-grade graphics, as a downloadable game. That would make me happy. :)

Tarantino
06-04-11, 01:35 PM
Don't get me wrong, I've played every one of the newer ones (maybe skipped '07 or '08).

Just none of them can touch the accessibility of the N64 THQ games.

They're finally adding in the feature of breaking up moves while they happen...something that's been in the Fire Pro games since at least the Dreamcast days. Hopefully it leads to some awesome moves.

Kedrix
06-06-11, 08:36 AM
I did recently pull out No Mercy, and while that game is painfully ugly, it's still as fun as ever. In a perfect world, you'd have the full retail WWE games, and then have a new version of the THQ/AKI games, with just updated, downloadable game-grade graphics, as a downloadable game. That would make me happy. :)

I would totally support a No Mercy engine based XBLA game. Heck, wasn't there going to be a Fire Pro Wrestling XBLA game with Avatars or some crap? But yeah, I do understand the love for No Mercy, its just I seriously doubt anybody is willing to bring it back out to play.

chuckd21
06-06-11, 09:39 AM
Bring back A Winner Is You!

nodeerforamonth
06-06-11, 10:44 PM

Try Fire Pro.

nodeerforamonth
06-06-11, 10:44 PM
I don't mind the Smackdown vs Raw games. I just wish there was some sort of AI.

Tarantino
06-07-11, 03:05 AM
Try Fire Pro.

They're finally adding in the feature of breaking up moves while they happen...something that's been in the Fire Pro games since at least the Dreamcast days. Hopefully it leads to some awesome moves.

I've played almost every Fire Pro game. Second best wrestling games in terms of playability - first being the N64 THQ series.

chuckd21
06-09-11, 12:45 PM
Footage from E3:

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:video:gametrailers.com:715818" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Tags: <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com">GameTrailers.com</a>, <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-wwe-12/715818">E3 2011: Alberto Del Rio vs. The Miz Gameplay (Cam)</a>, <a href="http://pc.gametrailers.com/">PC Games</a>, <a href="http://ps3.gametrailers.com/">PlayStation 3</a>, <a href="http://xbox360.gametrailers.com/">Xbox 360</a></p></div></div>

Robot Rock
06-09-11, 02:22 PM
Footage from E3:

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:520px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:moses:video:gametrailers.com:715818" width="512" height="288" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Tags: <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com">GameTrailers.com</a>, <a href="http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-wwe-12/715818">E3 2011: Alberto Del Rio vs. The Miz Gameplay (Cam)</a>, <a href="http://pc.gametrailers.com/">PC Games</a>, <a href="http://ps3.gametrailers.com/">PlayStation 3</a>, <a href="http://xbox360.gametrailers.com/">Xbox 360</a></p></div></div>

I really wish they'd get rid of that static shot of a wrestler whenever they win a match to cut to a cinematic. I'd like it to be more fluid.

Mike86
06-09-11, 03:32 PM
I've bought most of the Smackdown! vs. Raw series I believe. I haven't picked the last one (2011) yet, but I also haven't really been following WWE for the past few years or so again. I do from time to time enjoy playing the games though so if I hear enough positive things about it I might pick it up.

DGibFen
08-01-11, 11:18 AM
Mick Foley​ stated on his Twitter that he would be a working character in the new WWE '12 videogame that will be released this November by THQ.

http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/news/196125/Various-News:-New-HBK-Book,-DUI-Charges-Against-Former-WWE-Employee-Dropped,-More.htm

DthRdrX
08-01-11, 04:04 PM
The games are starting to look just like watching it live, hope the fun factor is there. This might be the first one I buy in a deace.

DGibFen
08-14-11, 09:56 AM
Confirmed roster list:

Raw - John Cena, John Morrison, Kofi Kingston, R-Truth, Husky Harris, Santino Marella, David Otunga, Evan Bourne, Goldust, Zack Ryder, Mason Ryan, Triple H, The Miz, Alex Riley, Alberto Del Rio, Rey Mysterio, Michael McGuillicuty, Big Show, Dolph Ziggler, Drew McIntyre, Mr. McMahon, and C.M. Punk.

Smackdown - Ted DiBiase, Mark Henry, William Regal, Daniel Bryan, Tyson Kidd, Sheamus, Cody Rhodes, Kane, Yoshi Tatsu, Jack Swagger, Justin Gabriel, Heath Slater, The Undertaker, Christian, Sin Cara, Ezekiel Jackson, Wade Barrett, and Randy Orton.

Divas - Eve, Natayla, Maryse, Layla, Michelle McCool, Beth Phoenix, and Kelly Kelly.

Legends - "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, Arn Anderson, Ricky Steamboat, Road Warrior Hawk, Road Warrior Animal, Vader, Kevin Nash, Booker T, Eddie Guerrero, Demolition Smash, Demolition Axe, Edge, and The Rock.

DGibFen
10-10-11, 08:59 PM
The big announcement for the game tomorrow is that Brock Lesnar will be a playable character.

In an interview with TMZ.com, Dana White confirmed he gave permission for Brock Lesnar to be in the WWE 12 video game, which will be officially announced everywhere tomorrow.

White said that, "I love WWE and have nothing but love for Vince McMahon. I'm totally OK with him being in the video game."

http://www.f4wonline.com/more/more-top-stories/96-wwe/22505-white-confirms-lesnar-in-wwe-video-game

Sonny Corinthos
10-11-11, 11:09 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/1011/vg_brock_1_576.jpg

My favorite thing about WWE video games? The ability to book dream matches. From "Stone Cold" Steve Austin versus CM Punk to Shawn Michaels taking on The Rock to Andre The Giant squaring off against The Big Show, the past few WWE games have given me the ability to play out matches that wrestling fans have drooled over and debated about for years.

"WWE 12" (Nov. 22, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii) is about to take dream matches to another level thanks to the inclusion of former WWE champion and current UFC badass and master of the beatdown, Brock Lesnar.

That's right, the man once dubbed "The Next Big Thing" in the squared-circle is now the next big thing in video games as he will be included in the main roster of "WWE 12," ready to do battle against everyone from John Cena and Alberto Del Rio to Randy Orton and Sheamus right out of the box.

I had the chance to ask Lesnar about his surprise appearance in the game, his WWE career and the chances we'll ever see him in a wrestling ring again. Here's what he had to say:

Jon Robinson: What does it mean to you that you're being brought back to the ring in "WWE 12" as a legend?

Brock Lesnar: What does it mean to me? I think it's an honor to be back. You know, I never had any really true hard feelings for WWE. It just wasn't for me. I think during the time that I spent there, I dominated the show. I was probably one of the true athletes in the company and for them to have me back in the video game, I think there's some mutual respect between the both of us that says, "Job well done" and "You are and were one of the great ones."

Jon Robinson: There are so many guys in the WWE right now that you never had a chance to wrestle. If you could come back and wrestle any guy at Wrestlemania who you've never previously had a match with, who would it be?

Brock Lesnar: Ironically it's probably the guy that walked out on me. The guy that took his ball and went home. A guy that I was supposed to face and I think that he was just plain downright scared to get in the ring with me because he was one of those guys that was on top and saw a huge threat in Brock Lesnar at the time. That's "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. I worked with everybody and anybody that was anybody there and if I came back, I think the guy that I would come back to fight is "Stone Cold" Steve Austin.

Jon Robinson: There were so many rumors floating around last year about you possibly facing Undertaker at Mania. What would the match have been like?

Brock Lesnar: I was a true wrestler. I was a Division I national champion. I came into the business wanting one thing and one thing only, and that was to be the champion, and I wasn't going to let anybody stand in my way. I think there was one guy that had a problem with that and that was Undertaker. If I were to have gotten in the ring with him I would have ripped his arm off and f------ beat him with it.

Jon Robinson: Do you have any say over your character in "WWE 12?" How do you want him to play?

Brock Lesnar: I don't need a say in my character, my character is a badass, and that's who I am and that's who I'll always be -- the baddest man on the planet, Brock Lesnar. I don't have to have any say in anything. It is what it is. I'm one bad dude.

Jon Robinson: Do you have any regrets about leaving WWE?

Brock Lesnar: I don't have any regrets. If I had any regrets, it would have been that I wish I enjoyed my time there a little bit better. I'm not a very good yes man, and I'm not very easily controlled.

Jon Robinson: Do you ever think you will go back and have one last WWE match?

Brock Lesnar: I think I will. I think under the right circumstances I will. I think if Vince McMahon and I were able to sit down at the same dinner table and break some bread that we could come up with some kind of game plan. At the end of the day, I'm an ultimate fighter. That's who I am and that's who I'll always be. I was an entertainer but at the end of the day, I'm still as real as it gets. I think a lot of things have to fall in the right places for something like that to happen.

Jon Robinson: What was your favorite WWE match that you were a part of? What made it so special?

Brock Lesnar: One match that really sticks out for me, there's a bunch of matches with all the guys that I worked with. For me, when I got in the ring, I approached it as being real, because I was a real character. I didn't have a gimmick name, I didn't have a gimmick finish. I was just thinking about this today, because I knew that I was preparing myself for an interview -- I put a lot of guys out of the ring because I was real. Looking back, I think that's what made me successful in the industry.

But looking back at one match, probably my most favorite match is the match that never happened. And that was the match that I was expecting to have with "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. I was really looking forward to that match.

Jon Robinson: You had some recent health scares. How are you feeling these days?

Brock Lesnar: My health? This surgery saved my life, it saved my career. I can't believe that I accomplished what I did with this sickness that I had. All I can say is -- look out.

LINK (http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/7088494/brock-lesnar-talks-wwe-12-undertaker-possible-return-professional-wrestling?readmore=fullstory)

SexualPudding
11-16-11, 03:15 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/W3zvpAmBLXU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maxflier
11-16-11, 04:05 PM
Hoping I get lucky again this year and they have RVD in the game again.

chuckd21
11-16-11, 04:22 PM
So we have to pay for Macho Man as DLC? Ugh.

SexualPudding
11-16-11, 04:25 PM
So we have to pay for Macho Man as DLC? Ugh.

Jesus, it's gonna be, what, like 2-3 dollars? Better than not having him at all.

TheKing
11-17-11, 09:14 AM
Hoping I get lucky again this year and they have RVD in the game again.

Not this year. Last year he made the game by making a deal to be in it before he joined TNA.

The whole roster has been revealed, including the 14 DLC Characters:

DLC Pack #1 - WrestleMania Pack (Out in Late November):
Jerry "The King" Lawler (Free)
Michael Cole
Jim Ross
Shawn Michaels
Classic Edge And Christian Attire
NWA Road Warriors Attire

DLC Pack #2 - Divas Pack (Out In December):
Alicia Fox (Free)
Trish Stratus
Brie Bella
Nikki Bella
Vickie Guerrero
Kharma

DLC Pack #3 - Legends Pack (Out In January):
Brodus Clay (Free)
"Macho Man" Randy Savage (WrestleMania VII Attire)
Mick Foley
Batista

Each individual DLC character or attire will be 99 cents (80 MS Points) (other than the free ones listed above). You can also buy Fan Axxess again this year and get all the DLC content for $11.99 (960 MS Points).

Other stuff:

There are 23 title belts in the game. You can choose which belts you want to use. So if you hate the spinner belt, you can toss it out and use the Undisputed belt. Or the Attitude era belt. Wanna do like Cody Rhodes and trade the modern IC belt for the classic one? You can do that too. Unfortunately the Winged Eagle belt didn't make the cut, nor did the Smokin' Skull.

WCW plays a major role in the game, and there are several WCW arenas (Nitro, Clash Of The Champions, Starcade).

Create-An-Arena allows you to customize the ring and surrounding area. Unfortunately all of them will share the same stage.

Don't like Raw or SmackDown? You can change the names of the shows in Universe, change the titles used and give it a different feel. Wanna bring back WCW or ECW, you can. You can even make Superstars into TNA if you wanted. You can't add a new show, you're limited to editing the ones that are already there. PPVs can also be renamed and combined with a custom arena you can bring back other shows (King Of The Ring anyone?)

Road To WrestleMania has been revamped. Instead of 5 different stories covering a few months, you'll instead go through a longer story where you will play as Sheamus, HHH and finally as a Created Wrestler. No more wandering through the really poorly done backstage areas like last year.

Dean Kousoulas
11-17-11, 06:49 PM
So is The People's Edition supposed to be a super rare item? You can't pre-order it at Amazon or FYE, and I don't shop at Gamestop. The only place I found it was THQ's website, or the WWE's shop.

TheKing
11-17-11, 07:53 PM
So is The People's Edition supposed to be a super rare item? You can't pre-order it at Amazon or FYE, and I don't shop at Gamestop. The only place I found it was THQ's website, or the WWE's shop.

The only thing it has that isn't in the standard version is a DVD or Blu-ray of Rock matches, and Rock on the cover. So it may be rare, but doesn't add much in the way of cool content. I bought the 2009 Collector's Edition that came with the steel cage package and bonus Blu-ray, which is kinda cool. But I bought it a year after it came out and got it cheap.

At least The People's Edition is the one they're putting out. It could have been Cena based.

Dean Kousoulas
11-17-11, 09:06 PM
I'd actually perfer the Cena edition. Not a fan of The Rock at all.

Mike86
11-17-11, 09:33 PM
I know he's not on the active roster right now but I wish Jericho was included in this. I'll probably cave in and get this though at some point as it looks pretty cool (even though I haven't watched WWE for a few years).

Dean Kousoulas
11-17-11, 10:37 PM
IGN gave it a 9.0. A bit upset that Road To WrestleMania only has 3 different wrestlers: Sheamus, HHH, and your created wrestler.

Boba Fett
11-18-11, 03:21 PM
I applaud WWE and THQ for the $0.99 individual character price point, especially after what fighting games like MvC3 and MK charge.

Edison
11-18-11, 05:42 PM
According to the Target ad post on CAG this is going to be $47.99 in the ad that runs 11/20-11/23.

Dubya
11-20-11, 10:52 AM
According to the Target ad post on CAG this is going to be $47.99 in the ad that runs 11/20-11/23.

Amazon now has it listed at $47.00 (and for a pre-order you get a $10 credit to boot!)

fumanstan
11-20-11, 11:15 AM
Wow, that's a great deal. I haven't been in to wrestling in awhile, but i'm really tempted.

Dubya
11-20-11, 11:27 AM
Wow, that's a great deal. I haven't been in to wrestling in awhile, but i'm really tempted.

Same here. I don't know some of the newer wrestlers but after seeing the good review and the good deal at Amazon, I'm sold.

nodeerforamonth
11-20-11, 11:54 AM
Played the game at Best Buy yesterday. MUCH improved over last (and all previous years). It looks like they really revamped the AI. That makes it totally worth it to me.

nickdawgy
11-20-11, 11:37 PM
I had a $10 coupon from SR3 that I used. So WWE 12 for $37 plus a $10 coupon again :up:

TheKing
11-21-11, 05:33 AM
I know he's not on the active roster right now but I wish Jericho was included in this. I'll probably cave in and get this though at some point as it looks pretty cool (even though I haven't watched WWE for a few years).

Jericho's moveset and entrance animations (classic Y2J and more recent heel) are in the game, so there will be good CAWs for Jericho. Same goes for the Hardys, RVD, and most of the people who were in last year but cut this year. Find their music, put it on your console, and you're pretty good to go.

I didn't mention it before, but CAW mode has been improved slightly by the adding of name stitching. Instead of your CAWs being introduced as The Superstar or The Maniac, or something along those lines, this year you can pick from a much larger group of names, and have the announcer say up to four names for your CAW.

chuckd21
11-21-11, 10:29 AM
Bought this from Amazon, but haven't played a WWE game in a while. Does this series still have the "download other peoples' created storylines" mode?

TheKing
11-22-11, 03:30 AM
Bought this from Amazon, but haven't played a WWE game in a while. Does this series still have the "download other peoples' created storylines" mode?

Yes. Community Creations is still in the game and has been increased a bit this year. You can download:

Created Wrestlers
Storylines
Videos
Artwork (For use on CAWs, Arenas, signs, etc.)
Create-A-Finishers
Arenas

In fact, there's a trophy/achievement that requires you to review 5 of these creations.

astrochimp
11-23-11, 12:16 PM
Anyone pick this up? Thoughts?

Dubya
11-23-11, 12:56 PM
Anyone pick this up? Thoughts?

Received my order from Amazon yesterday but didn't have too much time to play it. I did go ahead and download Shawn Michaels and the "unlock everything" pass from the DLC. I hope to get into it a bit over Thanksgiving.

FYI initial reports said Jerry Lawler would be free on the DLC however he was not (at least last night when I looked at it). Christian's old school attire was the only free item.

nickdawgy
11-23-11, 04:18 PM
I played a bit. Not really sold on it so far. Different than the past, that's for sure, but it seems like they should have left the old grapple system the way it is. Maybe you can change it in control types, not sure.

Presentation is great, feels like a live broadcast. Wrestlers look good.

So far I'd say it's a 7.5/10.

astrochimp
11-23-11, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm still interested. A demo would have been nice. Just not in a big rush since i have games to play right now and I always get a buncha gift cards at Christmas which turn into games.

stingermck
11-24-11, 09:58 AM
Man do I hate the controls. After 10 years of Smackdown I feel like I have no idea what im doing. I had to put it on easy to even have a chance. Presentation is nice, though some of it is lazy, like heel commentary for CM Punk

nickdawgy
11-24-11, 06:07 PM
I put it on easy, too. Still tough.

stingermck
11-25-11, 12:30 AM
I played with a 10 year old today, who played a lot of Smackdown 2011. He hated the controls, and said he never wanted to play it again. Ouch.

chuckd21
11-25-11, 01:57 AM
10 year olds, dude.

boredsilly
11-25-11, 03:37 AM
I played with a 10 year old today, who played a lot of Smackdown 2011. He hated the controls, and said he never wanted to play it again. Ouch.

Ha. 10 year olds taking over for all the 20 to 30 year olds who hated the controls of the Smackdown games, in favor of No Mercy. The more things change...

I'm tempted to give this game a chance, but only after it gets marked down.

stingermck
11-25-11, 05:17 AM
Ha. 10 year olds taking over for all the 20 to 30 year olds who hated the controls of the Smackdown games, in favor of No Mercy. The more things change...

I'm tempted to give this game a chance, but only after it gets marked down.

:lol: So true

nodeerforamonth
11-25-11, 11:31 AM
Man do I hate the controls. After 10 years of Smackdown I feel like I have no idea what im doing. I had to put it on easy to even have a chance. Presentation is nice, though some of it is lazy, like heel commentary for CM Punk

Really? I picked it up in about 30 seconds. Had no problems at all (and I've played every Smackdown game there is; then again, I've played almost every wrestling game that exists too...)

Bob_Bobbson
11-25-11, 02:56 PM
I've played the game a bit, I don't mind the controls.

...except for kicking out of pins. I just can't get the meter to stop in the right spot. Because I have that much trouble doing it, I can beat on a guy for 5 minutes and he can get lucky with one move and attempt a pin on me and it's all over because I can't kick out. Arg.

Dean Kousoulas
11-25-11, 05:59 PM
I believe you need to hold A to the darker portion of the meter, then quickly release and tap A again to kick out. It's very hit or miss for me, I perfer the old button mashing technique.

TheKing
11-26-11, 10:04 AM
As per usual with this series, THQ manages to screw up the little things.

WWE '12 is riddled with bugs, glitches and really stupid limitations that take a lot of fun out of the game.

First, Road To WrestleMania is terrible. Not only repetitive, but it also takes any decision making out of your hands in terms of playing. There are no branches, the story is linear. This wouldn't be so bad, but the outcomes of most matches are taken out of your hands. Most of them end with you hitting triangle or Y to trigger a cutscene. Many of them have multiple cutscenes. This could be overlooked, as I've always viewed RTWM as bonus fluff. Something to do for trophies, and to get away from the normal modes for a while.

While the casual gamer might not notice many of the flaws, there are just way too many for even the minor fan to ignore. There's bugs with custom music that were present last year (volume issues, pausing the game can lead to your custom theme playing throughout the rest of the match, etc.) Create-An-Entrance has bugs relating to entrances with props. (you can't get rid of them, even if you choose no). The Edge and Christian DLC characters can't have their entrances edited without screwing them up completely.

Then there's the stupid limitations. The whole idea of edit-a-brand in Universe was that you were supposed to be able to create a show of your choice that may or may not have anything to do with WWE. It was even stated exactly that you could have a show that was populated only by CAWs and not any of the main wrestlers. Well, something happened between THQ telling people they could do this and release, because now you have to have 15 actual Superstars on your roster (making it kinda hard to do an 80s era brand or something like Ring Of Honor. Last year, the requirement was 2.

Then there's just the stupid, like the inability to vacate titles in Universe. So you're stuck with all 23 belts having champions. They won't all be defended, but to have that many people coming out with some sort of title is just silly.

I could look past most of the small bugs and glitches, but when they can't fix bugs from last year and they flat out lie to their most loyal supporters in order to get them to buy the game, it's really hard to give THQ any slack.

fujishig
11-29-11, 01:54 AM
Man, now I remember why I try to avoid the PS3 for cross platform titles. 15 minutes to download and install the update, and now it's installing the game to the HDD.

chuckd21
12-09-11, 01:47 PM
I'm playing entirely too much of this. And also spending way too much time with all the customization options.

chuckd21
12-12-11, 10:41 AM
Got to the third leg of the story mode, and while I loved seeing WCW get such prominent placement in the game...

of course they're made to be assholes and villains and every WWE character lets them know that the WWE is superior in every possible way.