Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Quigley Down Under on BD

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Quigley Down Under on BD

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-11, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quigley Down Under on BD

As I mentioned several months ago in the release announcements thread, Quigley Down Under was released by Fox Home Video on May 24 as a Walmart exclusive for a surprisingly modest price:

Quigley Down Under (Blu-ray) (Exclusive) $9.86

I've had a chance to check out the BD and compare it to my old DVD and thought I'd post my observations, should anyone be interested in this movie.

Video:
The movie is encoded in AVC and shows considerable natural film grain (no DNR so far as I could tell). There did appear to be some EE but my ancient display isn't good enough for me to rate small details of PQ. Nevertheless, the improvement in resolution and clarity over the DVD was enormous. After viewing the BD I found the DVD almost unwatchable. In addition, the colors are substantially improved, especially the blue sky and clothing, and the colors on the DVD looked washed-out by comparison.

The front projector folks will be pleased to learn that the subtitles are entirely included within the widescreen frame.

In short: the BD was a huge improvement over the DVD in PQ but isn't going to make any lists of great transfers.

Audio:
The audio is presented in lossless DTS-HD MA 2.0 stereo and sounded fine on my system, which is nothing special. I checked and the audio really is limited to the two stereo speakers in a surround system.

Extras:
The BD contains exactly the same extras as the DVD did:
• "The Rebirth of the Western" Featurette
• TV Spots
• Theatrical Trailer

All are encoded in AVC but the 4:3 featurette and TV Spots didn't really look high def whereas the Theatrical Trailer did.

If there are any other fans of this movie out there, picking up this BD for $10 is well worth it, IMO.
Old 06-01-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Quigley Down Under on BD

Damn, gotta get by walmart soon. Love this movie. Great price.