Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Digital converter box for TV?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-11, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Digital converter box for TV?

I recently moved and had to switch cable companies. At the old place, I had Comcast and they pretty much "leased" me some digital converters for free. There were 2 kinds- one was a Motorola DCT 700 that I needed to use in order to access their on-demand features and stuff, and the other one was just a generic looking "comcast" digital converter that I hooked up in my bedroom in order to get cable TV there, but that cheapo box couldn't get on-demand, it was just good for the cable channels.

After moving, I can't get Comcast where I'm living and had to switch cable providers. This new place set up my cable with the same Motorola DCT 700 that Comcast uses. But extra boxes for the bedrooms will cost me extra. I still have the boxes that Comcast leased me (going to return them soon) and decided to hook them up to the outlets in my new house. Well, I found that the same Motorola DCT 700 works!! But the other cheapo Comcast box doesn't- it tried to find cable channels but couldn't.

So my question is: can I just go out and buy an extra digital converter for my other bedrooms so I don't have to rent them from my cable company? And if I can, do all brands work? (evidently, the Motorola one I tried worked, whereas this other no-brand one didn't).
Old 06-01-11, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Digital converter box for TV?

Did you try hooking the cable straight into the TV? no in demand but you should get basic cable.
Old 06-01-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Digital converter box for TV?

Arent alot of cable companies going away from this? Local cable here did this. Basically they force you to have a box, with a cable card for every tv in the house that you want to watch cable on.