Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Girl...." Trilogy extended versions out in September

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 05-30-11, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

So far Amazon only shows this as a Region B release, but I'm hoping there will be a Region A release around this time as well. Been dying to see the extended versions of each film. So many fans of the books complained much was left out of the movies. Maybe it was filmed and cut (?) I heard each movie is about 30 minutes longer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Girl-Trilogy...r_383380011_53
Old 05-30-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: "The Girl...." Trilogy extended versions out in September

I believe I read someone emailed Music Box and whoever was answering the emails (whether they were in the know or not) freely admitted that they were planning on extended editions later. That said, the rights are different everywhere so this release really is no indicator of a US release.

I believe the extended versions are available in North America/Region A as Canadian releases but they don't have English subtitles since they were aimed at the French-speaking market.

I'll buy them and check them out but you'll see a lot of people blindly expressing a preference for these versions when all signs point to the theatrical releases being the preferred versions. The initial plan was to release the first one theatrically and debut the sequels on television but the phenomenal success of the first film and the books made them change the plan. As such the case could easily be made that the theatrical version of "Dragon Tattoo" is the "original" version and the extended versions of the sequels represent their original intent.

I personally think that 3 movies with odd runtimes had to have more care put into their editing by their very nature as opposed to the edit job that was required to release them in 6 episodes of uniform length. There's simply no way you can take 3 different movies and impose that kind of restriction on them and not have undesirable edits and padding.

If Music Box is smart they'll release the extended version of each Swedish version before the American version is released theatrically because if they release it all at the end if the year they're gonna have a hard time selling them as the years go on.
Old 05-30-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully DTS-MA Lossless Swedish Audio too
Old 05-30-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I'd definitely give the extended versions a whirl. I liked "Dragon Tattoo" but was very unimpressed by the sequels.
Old 05-30-11, 07:36 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
I believe I read someone emailed Music Box and whoever was answering the emails (whether they were in the know or not) freely admitted that they were planning on extended editions later. That said, the rights are different everywhere so this release really is no indicator of a US release.
I thought I read that the US release was mentioned and that originally the extended editions were going to be released this summer, but now bumped until December to coincide with the Fincher's version hitting theaters.
Old 05-30-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
I'd definitely give the extended versions a whirl. I liked "Dragon Tattoo" but was very unimpressed by the sequels.
Production wise, I agree with you. But the script and acting of the second two are just as equally great, they deserve another chance. I liked both more upon more viewings.
Old 05-30-11, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get it. I saw this box set months ago at Barnes & Noble.

Oh, extended versions.. is this like Lord of the Rings worthy?
Old 05-30-11, 09:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

These are still on Netflix. I really should just watch them since I attempted to read the first book and as bored to tears.
Old 05-30-11, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Production wise, I agree with you. But the script and acting of the second two are just as equally great, they deserve another chance. I liked both more upon more viewings.
I loved Rapace's performances, but felt they turned her into some lame superwoman midway through the second. Add in the giant hulking henchman, and you have a very laughable attempt at "serious" storytelling.
Old 05-31-11, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/internation...g-larsson.html
Old 05-31-11, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 326 Likes on 198 Posts

I have heard some positive buzz on these but have no idea what they are about.

Can someone sell me on this series in 1-2 sentences with no spoilers?