Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Platinum Hit -- New Songwriting Competition Series -- Premieres 5/30/11 on Bravo

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Platinum Hit -- New Songwriting Competition Series -- Premieres 5/30/11 on Bravo

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-05-30

Host: Jewel

Head Judge: Kara DioGuardi (American Idol)

Contestant Bios:

http://www.bravotv.com/platinum-hit/season-1/bios

Series synopsis:

Platinum Hit follows 12 up-and-coming musicians as they battle through a series of innovative songwriting challenges testing their creativity, patience and drive. From dance track to love ballad, every episode will feature a different theme that will require the contestants to write and perform lyrics from multiple genres. Their intimate life stories and personal drama will unfold within the show and in their lyrics as they compete and live together. In the end, only one will be crowned the ultimate hitmaker and walk away with a $100,000 cash prize, publishing deal with Sony, BMI Songwriters The Writing Camp, and a recording deal with RCA/Jive.
Anyone going to try this show tonight? I like the idea of a songwriting competition show. Knowing Bravo, your going to get some crazy personalities as usual.

Promo:

<object width="400" height="400" align="middle"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /> <param name="movie" value="http://widget.bravotv.com/singleclip/singleclip_v1.swf?CXNID=1000004.10035NXC&WID=4657041ec2a2cf53&clipID=1318977"/> <param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /<param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /> <embed src="http://widget.bravotv.com/singleclip/singleclip_v1.swf?CXNID=1000004.10035NXC&WID=4657041ec2a2cf53&clipID=1318977" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="400" height="400" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed></object>

Last edited by DJariya; 06-02-11 at 05:38 PM.
Old 06-02-11, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Platinum Hit -- New Songwriting Competition Series -- Premieres 5/30/11 on Bravo

Did anyone watch this yet?

I watched this today and it's essentially a Top Chef for songwriters. The format is very similar. I like that we're getting the perspective of the songwriter as opposed to the usual American-Idol type singing competition. The one thing I also like about Bravo competition shows is it's being judged by the judges and not America's vote, which gets pretty old.

Jewel looked great and I thought she did a pretty good job as host. However, she's so soft spoken.

I have to say that Jackie's group impressed the hell out of me. Her song had a very Sheryl Crowe type vibe.

Sonyae was awful. I thought her hook sucked. Her little solo performance was so self indulgent. I know she will stick around awhile since she acts like some queen diva.

A little distracted during the judging round by Kara's cleavage/side boob shots in that dress she wore. I know alot of people didn't like her on American Idol because she talked alot, but I thought she was very subdued here and offered very good criticism.
Old 06-03-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Platinum Hit -- New Songwriting Competition Series -- Premieres 5/30/11 on Bravo

I was shocked the judges picked Sonyae's as the best hook. I thought that was terrible - just one line screamed over and over "Love It or Hate It". I hated it!

The show though is interesting so I am in for more episodes. Some of those songwriters are so full of themselves, especially the guy that got voted off.
Old 06-05-11, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, her hook was awful, I didn't really get the praise.