Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Biggest Positive Change in Opinion of Movie After a Second Viewing

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Some movies require a second viewing to truly be appreciated after the initial viewing leaves you feeling "meh."

I think the largest difference in quality for me is "Unbreakable". The first time I thought it was kind of a quiet thriller with an interesting end. However, when I went back and viewed strictly through the lens of a comic book origins movie, I loved it.
Old 05-26-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Biggest Positive Change in Opinion of Movie After a Second Viewing

Rocky -- couldn't get into the film the first time I saw it. I sat down and gave it my undivided attention again and really liked it.
Old 05-26-11, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Halloween III

As a kid growing up on a steady diet of horror, I was offended they made a Halloween series film without Myers. I watched parts of it once and wrote it off entirely.

Some years later, after becoming a massive Carpenter fan, I rewatched it and had a new-found respect for it. Now, I watch it every year during Halloween.
Old 05-26-11, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Fifth Element. Pretty much hated it the first time I watched it, but gave it another chance and now it's one of my favs.
Old 05-26-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

Heaven's Gate

First time I saw it I was lukewarm, the second time I watched it I thought it was a near masterpiece.
Old 05-26-11, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Pulp Fiction. For some reason, I just didn't like it and was wondering what all the fuss was about? Saw it again, and loved it. I could never figure out why I did a 180 on that movie?
Old 05-26-11, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

BLUE VELVET (1986) - I recently came across an old journal from the year I first saw it and found some unbelievably scathing remarks I'd written, totally dismissing it. I remembered being hostile to it at first, but not that hostile. The thing is, the images kept haunting me and I went back to see it again (also on a big screen) the first chance I could (it played rep theaters in Manhattan all the time back in the 1980s) and I was totally caught up in it. I don't know what my problem was with that first viewing.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 05-27-11 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-26-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
The Fifth Element. Pretty much hated it the first time I watched it, but gave it another chance and now it's one of my favs.
It's definitely a grower. Can't say I hated it the first time I saw it, but I was certainly indifferent to it. Ruby Rhod makes more sense the second or third time around too.
Old 05-26-11, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
Pulp Fiction. For some reason, I just didn't like it and was wondering what all the fuss was about? Saw it again, and loved it. I could never figure out why I did a 180 on that movie?
I'm just the opposite. Loved it the first time I saw it, but with repeated viewing I find it kinda annoying. Maybe because it's been referenced/parodied too much.
Old 05-26-11, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Sweeney Todd, the 1982 version rather than the Burton-Depp theatrical. Watched it with my parents over dinner, which didn't mix well with the subject matter. Later, after I was familiar with the story and score, I really enjoyed it.
Old 05-26-11, 05:12 PM

The first time I saw Eyes Wide Shut, it was a big MEH moment. After the viewing, I couldn't get the characters out of my mind and watched it a few months later. As soon as I got that it was all supposed to be dream-like and drawn out, I really enjoyed it.
Old 05-26-11, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

The Royal Tenenbaums. There was something about it that just didn't click with me the first time I saw it, unlike Rushmore, which I loved from the start. But after a second viewing, it just all came together and now I think it's a fantastic movie.

Similarly, I had the same experience with The Life Aquatic, but it took more than 2 views to start to really like it.
Old 05-26-11, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by tellybox
The first time I saw Eyes Wide Shut, it was a big MEH moment. After the viewing, I couldn't get the characters out of my mind and watched it a few months later. As soon as I got that it was all supposed to be dream-like and drawn out, I really enjoyed it.
I have similar feelings. Originally it did nothing for me.

I felt the same about The Assassination of Jesse James... The first time I watched it I could hardly make it through, but after watching it a second time I recognized how good it really was.

Also, I initially struggled to watch 2001 all the way through, but once finally got through it all in one sitting I fell in love with it and have since watched it several times and consider it one of my favorite movies.
Old 05-26-11, 07:22 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
This. But for me it was the third time I saw it in the theater that I finally fell in love with it.
Old 05-26-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

REDS - absolutely found the whole film tedious the 1st time I saw it in DVD. Gave it a second chance in Bluray and was floored by the epic scope of the story. The scene where Beatty's & Keaton's character come together in the final moments were incredibly devastating and touching at the same time.
Old 05-26-11, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Terry Gilliam's Brazil.

The first time I saw it, I *hated* it. I was 14, went to the theater with my parents, and walked out to play video games in the lobby until it was over.

I tried watching it again on cable, and it was worse.

About 6 or 7 years later, I sat down to watch it on VHS and ***LOVED*** it. I got it. It made sense. Somehow it reached me. I watched and re-watched it. Bought it on Criterion Laserdisc (at $125, it was a pretty huge investment. This is 1997 dollars, mind you...) Bought it again on DVD at 1/3 the cost 2 years later. When it comes out on Blu-Ray, I'm all over it again.

It's now my favorite all-time movie.
Old 05-26-11, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Blade Runner.
Absolutely hated it in the theaters like most folks that year. I think everyone was expecting Indiana Jones in the future and not a downbeat tale. I still bought the laserdisc when it came out a year later since there still wasn't much sci-fi available on home video. Watched it and totally loved it. Showed it to a bunch of friends during a movie party I gave, they totally loved it. Now it's considered a classic.
Old 05-26-11, 07:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Seventh Seal

saw it when I was 20, thought it was boring and didn't "get" it. I did however think MVS was solid in it. Saw it when I was 23...i fucking got it. I had to mature to appreciate it.
Old 05-26-11, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA.

Thought it was boring and corny when I was younger, then realized the brilliance of Carpenter and especially Russell's performance late into my teenage years.
Old 05-26-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I hated The Beach when I saw it in the theater, but have loved it ever since on dvd. I wish it would come out on Bluray.
Old 05-26-11, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY - didn't care for it the first time i saw it but now i enjoy it and recently picked it up on blu-ray
Old 05-26-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The Truman Show.

Saw it as a teen with a friend. Based on the marketing and the usual Jim Carrey resume we went in expecting a comedy. Hated it walking out. One of my favorite films now.
Old 05-26-11, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Matrix. I was a big Hong Kong movie fan, and initially felt this didn't deserve all the hype and success, as there were HK movies with a lot tighter martial arts. Also, I loved Dark City that came out about the same time, and felt that that was a much tighter science fiction movie, dealing with a similar theme---and I felt that movie did not have the success it should have at the time.

I still think Dark City is a better movie, but I've come to really enjoy the first Matrix, and think it deserves its praises.
Old 05-26-11, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Jackie Brown. I remember being extremely disappointed in it when I saw it theatrically. After revisiting it on video further down the road, I really appreciated it.
Old 05-26-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Hot Rod

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.