Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Can I improve how my DVD handles layer switching?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Can I improve how my DVD handles layer switching?

Old 09-25-00, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi I have a Magnnavox DVD 825 DVD Player and apperntly it doen't switch layers very well on some movies. 2 I noticed were the Matrix and Ghost Busters. It usally cuts off the scene by a couple of seconds.

(EXAMPLE: Morphious picks up the phone and say "were in"....when I watch it on my DVD player all I get is wer....next chapter..once it kinda froze between chapters.

Ghost busters When Billy Murry says What about the Twinkie...it usally coems out What about the Twink....then the next chapter)

Is there any thing I can do?
Old 09-26-00, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not really except to buy a new player. The quality of layer switching depends on both the player and the DVD it self. DVD players have a buffer to help with the switch. The quality and size of this buffer will determine to a great extent how well it deals with layer changes. Overall Maganavox is probably one of the worst brands in DVD players. As far as layer changes Pioneer, Sony and Toshiba have a better track record and are generally better players. The link below is for reviews of the Phillips DVD 825 at Audioreview, which I beleive is the same model (Phillips and Magnavox are part of the same company) and it looks like several people complained about the layer change.

Audioreview

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.