DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Cougar Town -- 1 Hour Season Finale -- "Something Good Coming" -- 5/25/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-01-01

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Sam Lloyd ("Scrubs") Guest Stars as Ted Buckland

"Something Good Coming," Parts 1 and 2 - Jules and crew make plans for a group vacation, on the Season Finale of ABC's "Cougar Town," WEDNESDAY, MAY 25 (9:31-10:30 p.m., ET). When Travis abruptly moves to Hawaii, the gang go after him and decide to spend their vacation there too. As Jules struggles with Travis' choice, Grayson tells her he's keen on having kids. Meanwhile, Bobby acts as Ellie and Andy's vacation surrogate, and Laurie hatches a plan to lure Travis back home.

Episodes 21 and 22 of 22

Last episode for awhile. Won't be back until midseason 2012.
Old 05-25-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Cougar Town -- 1 Hour Season Finale -- "Something Good Coming" -- 5/25/11

I hope this is broken up into two half-hours because I don't think I can commit to a full hour so I'm less likely to start. I'm not sure I'll be back when it comes back next season. Whatever this episode does will factor a lot into that. Sad to say, it's also as important what else is on when season 3 starts whether or not I'll continue to make time for Cougar Town.
Old 05-25-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by pinata242
I hope this is broken up into two half-hours because I don't think I can commit to a full hour so I'm less likely to start. I'm not sure I'll be back when it comes back next season. Whatever this episode does will factor a lot into that. Sad to say, it's also as important what else is on when season 3 starts whether or not I'll continue to make time for Cougar Town.
Why would you not be able to watch 1 hour? Are you that anxious to play L.A. Noire tonight?

On my Directv guide, it's a continuous 1 hour episode. I think Hulu is posting it as 2 half hours if that pleases you.
Old 05-25-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't make me angry about that game again!

It's not that I don't have time, it's just deciding to sit down and watch Cougar Town for an hour. That's my hurdle right now. It's not that I don't enjoy the show, I obviously do on some level if I'm still watching. But two episodes with a definite break is just more friendly mentally than a full 45-minute commitment up front.
Old 05-25-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
Why would you not be able to watch 1 hour? Are you that anxious to play L.A. Noire tonight?

On my Directv guide, it's a continuous 1 hour episode. I think Hulu is posting it as 2 half hours if that pleases you.
I think the inability/unwillingness to commit to a whole hour season finale is 'nuff said.

I'm disappointed that I have to wait until mid-season for more, but I'd rather not have the extended hiatus like they did this year for Mr. Sunshine.

PENNY CAN!
Old 05-25-11, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Abed!

I watch Cougar Town, but never really post in the threads, but figured this warranted a post. I love the lovefest that these two shows have going on.
Old 05-25-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I was listening to it and happened to look up and see him. Did I miss anyone else yet?
Old 05-25-11, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kstublen
Abed!
Ah, shit, now I don't care how long it is, I'M IN! (That's what she said? No...)
Old 05-25-11, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Finally!
Old 05-25-11, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The progression of his cameo was great; from subtle, to obvious and sort of interacting with the characters, to downright bizarre.

It also makes this episode unique, in that when I saw Abed I immediately think, I'm watching a show where a character from another show appears as an extra; in other words, Community is real, but Cougar Town is fictional. I can't think of another set of shows where a crossover like that has happened, thereby placing one show above another in terms of reality.
Old 05-25-11, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow. And now we get a cameo by Sam Lloyd reprising his role as Ted Buckland, thereby placing Scrubs and Cougar Town as fictional shows in the Community Universe. So awesome.

EDIT: And references to Gooch and Hooch? What a great night for television. I never thought I'd hear, "Hooch is crazy" ever again.

Last edited by kstublen; 05-25-11 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-25-11, 10:04 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Does Abed's role in this episode match up with the story he told in the "My Dinner With Jeff" episode of Community?
Old 05-25-11, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, it doesn't. I went back and checked and Abed said he was in a scene standing on the patio where Courtney Cox and the rest where doing their scene, and that when they said action, he was supposed to walk from Point A to Point B.

Makes it a little less cool since they don't match up exactly, but still a neat cameo.
Old 05-25-11, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't he say in Community that he had shit his pants and had to run off? I figured that's what he was doing here. Sitting, pooped, left running.
Old 05-25-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by xfusejc
Didn't he say in Community that he had shit his pants and had to run off? I figured that's what he was doing here. Sitting, pooped, left running.
According to Abed's story, he pooped his pants after the director yelled cut and the scene had ended. His description of the scene in Community doesn't add up to what we got in Cougar Town, but that's a minor complaint.
Old 05-26-11, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So did the son have sex with the blond or not?

D
Old 05-26-11, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So Abed was just at Subway, right?
Old 05-26-11, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow. And now we get a cameo by Sam Lloyd reprising his role as Ted Buckland, thereby placing Scrubs and Cougar Town as fictional shows in the Community Universe. So awesome.

EDIT: And references to Gooch and Hooch? What a great night for television. I never thought I'd hear, "Hooch is crazy" ever again.
So if Scrubs and Cougar Town are fictional shows in Community's world, what are we to make of Busy Phillips and Dan Byrd's cameo in Community? Just unnamed students that look exactly like actors from a show that Abed is intimately familiar with?
Old 05-26-11, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pinata242
So if Scrubs and Cougar Town are fictional shows in Community's world, what are we to make of Busy Phillips and Dan Byrd's cameo in Community? Just unnamed students that look exactly like actors from a show that Abed is intimately familiar with?
No clue. Greendale is located in Colorado, so maybe they're playing themselves and just happened to be visiting the school to witness the paintball tournament? It's unclear, really. And further doubt might be cast upon that actually being Abed since the scene wasn't the one he described. Either way, it's pretty interesting to think about, since I can't think of any other show where something like this has happened, but perhaps it has happened before.

At the very least we know that Scrubs and Cougar Town take place in the same Universe; and that Abed watches Cougar Town in the Community Universe. What the cameos actually mean are less clear.
Old 05-26-11, 12:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That was epic. Glad to see us get a peek back into the world of scrubs. Damn I miss that show.
Old 05-26-11, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My 10 year-old has been watching Scrubs on Netflix and loves Community. I'll probably have to show her the highlights of this episode.
Old 05-26-11, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I mentioned this in another discussion, but can't believe I forgot it here. Okay, so Travis and Kirsten watched the First Season of Community on DVD for their first date.

So Travis from Cougar Town watches Community. And Abed from Community watches Cougar Town. Danny Pudi appears in character as Abed in Cougar Town. Unclear if Dan Byrd and Busy Philipps appear as themselves or in character as Travis and Laurie in Community.

Yeah, I don't think there's any rationalization that will somehow make sense given a character from each show watches the other character's show. In my excitement at seeing Abed I forgot that Travis watches Community, which sort of complicates things to the point of no real logical resolution.
Old 05-26-11, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't wait until Travis watches the second season finale of Community with Lori. That should be a big WTF moment for them.
Old 05-26-11, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh dear lord if they actually make a reference like that my brain would explode. Someone twitter that to Bill Lawrence!
Old 05-26-11, 08:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Hooch is crazy!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.