DVD Talk
Repair old Sony 36XBR200 or buy affordable replacement? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Repair old Sony 36XBR200 or buy affordable replacement?

eXcentris
05-24-11, 06:17 PM
Years ago, I gave my old Sony 36XBR200 CRT TV to my aunt and uncle. Aunt called me and said they no longer have a picture but just "a mess of random color patterns on every channel". They called the cable guy and he told them it's not the cable, it's the tv. I called a repair guy and an "evaluation" is $100 plus taxes. Guy was honest and said that depending on the problem, he might not even find the parts anymore. So $100 + (if parts) maybe couple hundred more to fix. I say it's not worth it. Might as well buy a new tv. Do you guys agree?

If so, what would be an affordable replacement? I figure 40/42" would be fine. My aunt and uncle are both over 80 y/o so they obviously don't understand or give a hoot about LED, 120/240 hz or any other bells and whistles. Even 720p would be fine (if you can still find those). Anyway, any suggestions?

I will obviously do the shopping/install for them. I figure $500 max??? Haven't shopped for tv's in a while...

GreenMonkey
05-24-11, 09:50 PM
You can do a 40" 720p plasma for around $500. Considering they will probably watch nothing but 4x3, a cheap 32-37" LCD would probably be better though (I can imagine the 4x3 box burned into it). Are they like most older folks, and watch lots of SDTV on it?

Something like a Vizio is normally pretty good bang/buck ratio, without the higher likelihood of complete utter failure and sucking like a lot of cheap brands (stuff like GE, Westinghouse, etc).

mrhan
05-25-11, 08:19 AM
Something like a Vizio is normally pretty good bang/buck ratio, without the higher likelihood of complete utter failure and sucking like a lot of cheap brands (stuff like GE, Westinghouse, etc).

I think Vizio should be added to the list of cheap brands. The one I had failed on me a within a year. It was a bedroom TV and I barely used it. This happened before Costco changed their return policy and I was able to return it and exchange it for a Panny. I did contact Vizio to get it repaired but they just gave me the runaround.

I think the OP should just get a 42" Panny. This one is $435. It's basic but probably better than any Vizio at the same price point.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-VIERA-TC-P42X3-42-Inch-Plasma/dp/B004M8SBD4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306328968&sr=8-3

eXcentris
05-25-11, 03:27 PM
Yeah, they will mostly watch SDTV. So LCD is probably better. I'm kind of weary of brands like Vizio and Dynex. I checked Best Buy and Future Shop and they have an LG 42" and a Sharp Aquos 42" for $599. I'll probably compare prices with Costco.

I'm not looking forward to explaining why there are black bars on the tv. :lol:

mrhan
05-26-11, 10:34 AM
I'm not looking forward to explaining why there are black bars on the tv. :lol:

Burn in is not an issue with the Panny but if your set on an LCD go for it. And I don't think OAR would be an issue; they probably wouldn't notice the difference if you stretch the pic. Like you said I don't think at their age they would give a crap about that stuff; just as long as they have a working TV. :)