Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol -- Season Finale -- Top 2 Compete -- May 24/25

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who do you want to win American Idol 2011?
Lauren
29.41%
Scotty
20.59%
Neither. Don't like either one. Will still watch though
11.76%
Can we get this over with already? When does X-Factor start?
8.82%
Not watching. Done with American Idol
29.41%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2011-05-24

Tuesday:

1 hour show

Lauren and Scotty will perform 3 songs each.

1 song will be their new single, another will be selected by Carrie Underwood and George Straight, and then their favorite song from the season.

Wednesday:

Overbloated results show. Slated to run 127 minutes. If your DVR'ing it, I would pad a few extra minutes since they tend to run long.

I know most here don't care anymore, but the season is almost over. I hope Lauren wins. I still like her and think she has alot of potential. She may not be as polished or have as strong vocals as a Carrie Underwood, but she has alot of upside, especially since she's only 16.
Old 05-24-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: American Idol -- Season Finale -- Top 2 Compete -- May 24/25

Don't like either of them but I'm so invested at this point that I have to watch Country Idol tonight. Probably won't enjoy it too much. Last week every song they sang was boring.

I'd be shocked if Scotty didn't run away with this. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even need to sing tonight and he'll get enough votes to win.
Old 05-24-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would probably improve his margin of victory, as you'd get less voting for Lauren just due to Scotty hate.
Old 05-24-11, 03:08 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I won't be watching the show tonight since I don't care about the two finalists. I'll be watching tomorrow to see some of the eliminated contestants.
Old 05-24-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 05-24-11, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-24-11, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

Why did they have to move this to Tuesday to compete against The Biggest Loser finale? Have they been doing this on previous years?
Old 05-24-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by sinned
Why did they have to move this to Tuesday to compete against The Biggest Loser finale? Have they been doing this on previous years?
B/C sweeps ends tomorrow. No point in having your biggest show not count in the ratings on Thursday. The show used to air on Tuesday and Wednesday in the past.

No interest in tonight so I won't watch.

Supposedly, Haley recorded a new single over the weekend, and she might be singing it on the results show. This info came from her parents at a weekend concert, but it wasn't 100% certain at the time.
Old 05-24-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless Scotty actually rapes Lauren on stage, I don't think he can lose. And he will be the highest selling contestant from this year, and certainly outsell the last two winners.
Old 05-24-11, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.tvline.com/2011/05/haley-...l-finale-sick/
Old 05-24-11, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

They are saying that Lauren actually blew out a vocal chord and received significant medical attention.
Old 05-24-11, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This barely held my interest tonight. Why announce that George Strait and Carrie Underwood picked songs and not even have some video of them saying something? Really missed Haley tonight and also James.

I got into Idol just a few seasons ago 'cuz some co-workers told me i had to see this guy Adam sing. I enjoyed that(and also Allison from that season). Last season had Crystal to keep my interest(also loved Didi ) but I think i'll go back to being one of those people who makes fun of people who watch Idol.
Old 05-24-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I completely missed it, I assumed it would be on Wednesday. Oh well.

And Scotty will win.
Old 05-24-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Scotty does a great job singing, but I miss James, Haley and Casey.

My favorite moments had to do with Haley and Casey. Their duets were awesome, Haley grew as each week went by and Casey's good by song was the best ever!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-11, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't care for either one and thought all of their performances were bland.
Old 05-25-11, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As much as I like Haley, that wouldn't have been fair to Haley, Lauren, or Scotty so I'm glad it didn't happen.
Old 05-25-11, 04:03 AM
Banned

Didn't know it was on last night, so dodged a bullet & got to catch up on some Showtime series. The wife won't be happy, but it wasn't a deliberate avoidance, so what can you do...?

Sort of funny, though...although team sports competitions wouldn't be postponed if a star athlete was hurt, championship boxing matches would. And concerts & tours have routinely been cancelled/postponed due to physical issues with the artist.

To show integrity (vs. not wanting to risk ratings or revenue loss), AI did presumably have the option of postponing the finals. Maybe not...I'm sure contractual obligations would have made this a nightmare...and the official 'rules' probably state something about 'the show must go on' if contestants are sick, etc. (although they have shuffled boys/girls nights in the past to help out ailing contestants). Just wondering if that would have been a legal possibility here aside from the obvious negatives.
Old 05-25-11, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hope Lauren wins, but was sort of annoyed by her first song. It seemed more like the girls singing with her were masking her voice more than backing her up.
Old 05-25-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Unless Scotty actually rapes Lauren on stage, I don't think he can lose.
I don't think we need to worry about Scotty raping Lauren. I think we need to worry about Lauren raping Scotty.

We also need to worry about Steven Tyler raping Lauren. If I'm Lauren's parents I'm getting the restraining order papers ready to keep Tyler away from her after the show.
Old 05-25-11, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Watched the performances today and I thought Lauren did really well considering her vocal issues. Didn't really care for her 1st performance, but I thought she did really well with her last 2 songs and her single was actually a pretty decent song....more Pop/Country than full out Country than what Scotty has been doing.

I'm not a fan of Scotty mainly because he sounds the same every week and same applied last night. I can't imagine there would be a huge market for 16 year old girls buying his type of country music. I think Lauren is alot more marketable.

I hope Lauren pulls it out. As I said earlier, I think she has alot of potential as a Pop/Country artist. Regardless, she is still going to get a record deal.

Just wondering, are people in this forum hating this final 2 because they are pretty much country vocalists? Is it the song selections they are picking that are boring you? What did you all think Carrie Underwood vs Bo Bice 6 years ago? Carrie is definitely a star now, but back then she had alot of issues and was far from perfect even though she had the looks and the vocals of a star. Lauren IMO is only going to get better with age and working with a good studio producer.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-25-11 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-25-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Why announce that George Strait and Carrie Underwood picked songs and not even have some video of them saying something?
I agree with this. There was no point to making this kind of annoucement if you weren't going to see them on camera in some form.
Old 05-25-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, they seemed to be in "cram everything in" mode last night. They didn't even have the judges comment until after they had each gone twice. I would be surprised if Strait and Underwood don't make an appearance on tonight's broadcast, either via taped footage or live duets with the finalists or something.
Old 05-25-11, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just wondering, are people in this forum hating this final 2 because they are pretty much country vocalists? Is it the song selections they are picking that are boring you? What did you all think Carrie Underwood vs Bo Bice 6 years ago? Carrie is definitely a star now, but back then she had alot of issues and was far from perfect even though she had the looks and the vocals of a star. Lauren IMO is only going to get better with age and working with a good studio producer.
Speaking only for myself, I don't hate country music. I was just really, really bored with both Lauren and Scotty.

Lauren does have a good voice, but she has no real idea how to use it. She's just way too young and had no business being in the finals of this season over more experienced/ready singers. The Carrie comparison isn't valid to me b/c Carrie was five years older. She wasn't a child. Lauren is a young 16, and she didn't really have any growth in this competition like Carrie did in her season.

As for Scotty...baritone voices like his don't do anything for me. Couple his voice with his seeming unwillingness to do anything even remotely daring and his goofy performances. It was too much. I didn't get through a single Scotty performance this year.
Old 05-25-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Supposedly, Haley recorded a new single over the weekend, and she might be singing it on the results show. This info came from her parents at a weekend concert, but it wasn't 100% certain at the time.
Now the word is that she's singing a duet with
Spoiler:
Tony Bennett
Old 05-25-11, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I dislike them because of their music and their unwillingness to do anything daring. Maybe that's a good strategy, after all they're in the final two... but that doesn't mean it can't be boring.

But speaking just on vocals I like Scotty more because he's just as good doing the uptempo stuff as he is doing the slow stuff. They both entertain me equally (although it isn't that much). I don't think Lauren is close to Scotty in that regard and I feel she should have been gone weeks ago.

And as far as Lauren getting better with age, don't you think Scotty will too? I don't think either of them have peaked and I can actually see them both having long careers, even though I wont be there to listen to it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.