Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Complaining About Theater Experience

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Complaining About Theater Experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going to the movie theatre sucks

I went and saw Batman yesterday. First of all, the theatre was packed with assholes. Second, the framing was off on the picture, it was too low, boom mics weren't visible but I actually paid money for this. And third, the power went out in the theatre twice. They did say I could come back with my ticket to watch Batman again, however, going to the theatre just flat out sucks.
Old 06-16-05, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going to the movie theater does not suck. Going to a crappy theater sucks.

I paid $6.25 for a matinee (grrr...) yesterday afternoon for Batman Begins. I happened to see the film in one of said theater's biggest auditoriums and there were maybe only 20 people there. Everyone was polite and dead silent during the film, the 5.1 sound was fantastic, and there were zero problems with the projection. Everyone was pleased.

And then I went to CineVegas where I saw films projected digitally with a crowd that loves films.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 06-16-05 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-16-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

20 people? [Napoleon Dynamite]Lucky![/Napoleon Dynamite]
Old 06-16-05, 11:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If the framing is off, step outside and tell somebody. It only takes a second, and it beats watching the whole movie that way.
Old 06-16-05, 11:57 AM
Retired

Yep. I love going to the theater.

Both the multiplexes near me are nice. Never had any problems with framing, sound etc.

And I try to mainly catch weekday matinees when there's usually no more than 20 people in the theater. If not I catch a late night showing and also usually have no problems with people talking or what not.

And both the theaters play their sound systems very loud so unless it's someone right next to you talking, or someone yelling, you're not going to hear them anyway.
Old 06-16-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Which is why I never catch movies on opening weekend. I give them a couple of weeks. Weeds out the fuckos.
Old 06-16-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless it's a Star Trek or Star Trek film, I can wait til the following week to check it out, the only problem with this is that the print tends to show a fair degree of wear the longer it runs. I too can't stomach the yahoos @ the movies but There really is nothing at all like the atmosphere you get when going to a great theater to see an even greater flick.
Old 06-16-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by devilshalo
Which is why I never catch movies on opening weekend. I give them a couple of weeks. Weeds out the fuckos.
Agreed...wait a couple weeks, or take the day off and go to a matinee on a weekday. Evenings and weekends are when teens with nothing else to do and parents with young children who want to use the movie theater as their babysitter for two hours come out.

I've always thought someone should open a movie theater chain with a premium membership that was only open to "members". Rule 1: No one under 21 - EVER. Rule 2: No cell phones Rule 3: No Food in the theater at any time (drinks are permissible) Rule 4: You violate the rules or cause trouble, your membership card gets revoked for a year and you lose your membership fees. Yeah, I know...sounds like "Movie Nazi", but it would be nice for those of us who actually like to go to the theater and ENJOY the film...problem is, no chain could ever afford to do this and hope to stay open - since film rentals cost so much they NEED consessions and the regular business of those "fuckos" to stay open. I'm sure most theater owners don't like those lowlifes in the theater any more than the rest of us do.
Old 06-16-05, 12:55 PM

I'd sign on in a heartbeat for that theater Shannon Nutt! But, can we atleast make an exception for popcorn?
Old 06-16-05, 12:59 PM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

FYI Most theaters will give you your money back when there are projection or crowd problems...IF you leave early in the showing. You can't wait until the movie's over.
Old 06-16-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MrE
FYI Most theaters will give you your money back when there are projection or crowd problems...IF you leave early in the showing. You can't wait until the movie's over.
Well, they said I could come back and watch Batman again. But still I have to watch it there.
Old 06-16-05, 02:14 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I never have those kinds of problems when I go to the theater, but on the other hand, I wouldn't be caught dead going to a comic book movie.
Old 06-16-05, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Ive had the opposite problem. If I wait too long, I go see something when some of the people in the theater have already seen it and dont mind talking or being asses in the theater.

I like seeing it with true fans since they will shut up during the movie.
Old 06-16-05, 02:26 PM

We only have sucky theaters in my town that charge 6.75 for matinees (in the middle of BFE, Indiana) and of course I get to go see Batman with some guy who thinks that his 5 year old son and 3 year old daughter will appreciate it.

Your compasion .....
DDDDDAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDDDYYYYYYYYY! ....
weak.
Old 06-16-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
eh, a theatre experience is just that. Expect a lot of assholes. Also remember that in their eyes, you are an asshole to them for your attitude. So it's a never ending cycle.

I generally know what area I'm going first. Don't go where you know people to be rude or not care about watching the film. Also go where you know the theatre going experience is the best possible.
Old 06-16-05, 02:42 PM

If you have any problem with the video or audio in the movie, you can ask to talk to a manager at the theater about it.
Old 06-16-05, 02:50 PM

Ok, ok.....listen to this experience.....

My girlfriend LOVES Harry Potter. So, her and a friend of ours went to stand in line for HP: POA on opening day. They got there 2 hours early and were first in line.

When they let us into the theater, the theater guy released the ropes and we all were off to the theater entrance.

Well, this fat chick and her 3 kids came from the corner (not in line) and started to walk in. The theater guy stood in front of her and said, "Maam, you cannot go in yet, you have to wait in line".

She just pushed forward and said "Come on kids, he cant stop us". Obviously, he just moved and let her walk in.

Well, we got good seats (being first in line). BUT, the lady sat in front of us AND was holding literally 2 rows of seats (maybe 20-30) for friends/family. I couldn't F***ing believe it!! It pissed me off soooooo bad.

I got up, walked out and told the guy who she confronted at first. The theater manager was standing there when I told him. His manager told him to go get her. When he walked back into the theater, her family/friends had sat down and she pointed at him and laughed (I assume she was laughing at him).

Anyways, they didnt do anything to her, but I HOPE that what goes around, comes around for her. Bitch.

Last edited by RockStrongo; 06-16-05 at 02:55 PM.
Old 06-16-05, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by buckee1
I'd sign on in a heartbeat for that theater Shannon Nutt! But, can we atleast make an exception for popcorn?
Yes, but you have to sign a waiver agreeing to chew with your mouth closed.
Old 06-16-05, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Yes, but you have to sign a waiver agreeing to chew with your mouth closed.
Haha....when my girlfriend and I saw Mr. and Mrs. Smith the other day, there was a lady behind us....she decided to continually play with her popcorn bag by crinkling it. We gave her a dirty look and she stopped.

The dirty look works wonders sometimes.
Old 06-16-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally Posted by RockStrongo
I do the half-turned head look. Not making eye contact but let's them know you hear them. Also works good for church.
Old 06-16-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Theater experiences can suck if you are either at a crappy theater or see the movie with the wrong audience. In the case of Batman Begins and movies like it that rely on a niche audience more or less, I try to see it at the first showing or whichever one I know will be the die hard fans so they will respect what's going on and be quiet.

What really sucks about theater experiences IMO is having to sit through all of the commercials and previews they throw at you. This is what really makes me think about abandoning the movie theater altogether aside from movies I REALLY want to see once I finally get a widescreen TV.

FWIW, anyone else hate the Fanta Girls?
Old 06-16-05, 04:46 PM

I've had some amazing experiences at the movies.

A hispanic couple lit up some cigarettes when I saw 'From Dusk Till Dawn'. I guess you can smoke in Mexico.

A black guy got up during 'American History X' and said "F*** this!" and threw his drink at the screen.

When I saw 'The Last Samurai', this big guy, not knowing how loud he was, after every other line of the movie had to let out a audible, "hmmm".

Can't tell you how many times people answered their cell phones and had a conversation during the movie.

I could go on...and on...

Saxon

Last edited by runnersdialzero; 06-17-05 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-16-05, 04:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by RockStrongo

Also known as "The White Man's Stare"
Old 06-16-05, 04:56 PM

I probably only go about 8 times a year but I find it's generally worth it. Of course there are always SOME bad experiences.

One time I remember was when these kids were laughing and throwing stuff all around the theatre. A lot of people were yelling at them, but no one could really tell how old they were or stop them (it was near the end of the movie so no one bothered leaving to complain). When the lights went on I started cracking up -- they were these tiny 12 year olds or so. One of my friends called this overweight kid a 'fat shit', causing obvious emberassment. Yeah, it was a bit childish but at the time, he deserved it.

Edit: I could do without the commercials, but I like the previews.
Old 06-16-05, 06:58 PM

Watched ROTS twice, only two times I've been to a theater in the past year or more. Both times I went very late at night, hoping for a smaller and less annoying crowd. First time was fantastic. Second time reminded me why I hate theaters and probably won't go back to one for another year.

Started out with two little girls running around, down aisles, and switching seats every 2 mins. Finally people told them to settle down as they paid good money for the tickets, so they left the theater, but not before yelling a bunch of nonsense on the way out (/golf clap to their parents for the fine job raising those monsters).

Then to the left and right of me were the food and drink noise makers. To the right(about 5 seats down) was Mr. Have to Shuffle and Crinkle the Paper Candy Bag Every 30 Seconds guy. To the left (again about 5 seats down) was Mr Slurp Every Last Drop of Soda form the Cup then Crunch on Ice guy. Of course once the ice ran low and was kinda stuck to the bottom of the cup, he just had to shake his cup around to free it.

Also in the very dark theater, there was the guy that felt he just had to whip out his cell phone about 10 times during the movie...I'm not sure which sun was captured to provide the backlight for his LCD, but it's pretty damn annoying to have a bright light at the bottom of your peripheral vision while trying to watch a movie.

And of course, no movie would be complete without the parents that bring their two young kids (I'd guess one was 3, the other 5) to a 11:30 pm movie. You could tell the rugrats were tired before the movie started, and it didn't get any better. I especially enjoyed the cough the youngest one had. Only took an hour for the dad to finally get off his ass and take the kid outside for a bit.

It's just simply amazing the way some people are totally obilivous to the fact others are around them while in a theater. Yay for fast DVD releases!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.