Reload this Page >

Lisa Edelstein off of House

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 05-17-11, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There will be Huddy no more on House - co-star Lisa Edelstein will not return to the veteran Fox medical drama next season. Edelstein was one of 3 main cast members of House, along with Robert Sean Leonard and Omar Epps, whose original contracts expired at the end of this season. Leonard and Epps re-upped earlier this month when Edelstein's deal also looked on track to make. But word is that she ultimately decided not to return to series for the next eighth (and likely final) season, putting an abrupt end to the on-again-off-again romance between her character, Dr. Cuddy and Hugh Laurie's Dr. House, aka Huddy. Along with Epps, Edelstein had been asked to take a cut from her most recent salary of $175,000 an episode, but the offer was still pretty good, so she is walking away from more than $2 million. Her departure will leave Olivia Wilde as the only regular female cast member but, with Wilde's hot movie career, she is rarely on full-time.
http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/lisa...e-next-season/

As Nellie said, this came as a shocker to me as well. While this season had some unsteadiness to it, it seemed like they were finally getting things working with the Huddy relationship that could get wrapped up next season for the finale.

Although, of course, it could be a contract ploy
Old 05-17-11, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Lisa Edelstein off of House

That's a lot of money in the real world, but for a successful show like House, not so much. The fat kid on the Ashton Kutcher show makes twice that!
Old 05-17-11, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wazootyman
http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/lisa...e-next-season/

As Nellie said, this came as a shocker to me as well. While this season had some unsteadiness to it, it seemed like they were finally getting things working with the Huddy relationship that could get wrapped up next season for the finale.

Although, of course, it could be a contract ploy

Bah. We better get some sort of Closure between House and Cuddy if she is leaving.
Old 05-17-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How do you wrap up House's storyline next year with no Cuddy? I mean the whole House/Cuddy thing kind of has dominated the last few years..

Maybe it ends with Wilson and House...just as it should be.
Old 05-17-11, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure she'd be back at the end to end things on the proper note, especially with everyone assuming that next year is the last.
Old 05-17-11, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watch House regularly, but it's not something I care a lot about. I'd be pretty upset if there was a thread title like this for a show I do care about though.
Old 05-17-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

that's too bad. wonder if this will sort of end like the jorja fox thing on csi. leaving but then ultimately coming back.
Old 05-17-11, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Considering season 8 is supposed to the last, I don't think that'll really be possible.
Old 05-17-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Good news for VH1 if they wanna do another one of those "I Love the 90s" type shows. She'll be available again.
Old 05-17-11, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I hope this is just negotiation, Wrapping up the House/Cuddy storyline seems like a main point of the show.
Old 05-17-11, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RichC2
Considering season 8 is supposed to the last, I don't think that'll really be possible.
i meant in the sense that she's off the show now but they'll work out a deal for her to come back in the last half of the season.
Old 05-17-11, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The producers still have time to simply kill Cuddy off-screen in next week's season finale, and leave House with the daughter, and imbue next season with sort of a Lone Wolf and Cub feel to it.
Old 05-18-11, 09:15 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
The producers still have time to simply kill Cuddy off-screen in next week's season finale, and leave House with the daughter, and imbue next season with sort of a Lone Wolf and Cub feel to it.
What do you think this is, South Park?

I'm not so concerned about the Huddy story ending, but I am worried about who his new boss will be. I don't want a rehash of the Chi McBride storyline, and the 'House vs Authority Figure' storyline angles have pretty much been exhausted over the years, so they're going to need to come up with something new to keep it fresh. But what?
Old 05-18-11, 11:16 AM

Clearly House will become the new Head of Medicine
Old 05-18-11, 11:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Edelstein is gone for all or most of next season, I'd like to see Sela Ward come back to the show, I think she was in it during the first and second season.

What about Cameron replacing Cuddy as Dean of Medicine?
Old 05-18-11, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenshiro
If Edelstein is gone for all or most of next season, I'd like to see Sela Ward come back to the show, I think she was in it during the first and second season.

What about Cameron replacing Cuddy as Dean of Medicine?
Not going to happen, she already has a fulltime job on CSI: NY, which was just renewed.

Jennifer Morrison has a new show on ABC too.
Old 05-18-11, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Sorry to say this - but I hated the Huddy story lines. So for me this is good news - meaning that next year they won't dip back into this.

Hopefully, they will be forced to come up with some new out of the box story arc for the last season.
Old 05-18-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by CPA-ESQ.
Sorry to say this - but I hated the Huddy story lines. So for me this is good news - meaning that next year they won't dip back into this.

Hopefully, they will be forced to come up with some new out of the box story arc for the last season.
I doubt it. Every time they were on the brink of something super edgy to change the Houseverse, they reset everything back to the status quo. I stopped watching, but picked back up the episode where he was in the mental institution only to quit again. Turns out by the end of that season he had done nothing to really change. Same exact thing had happened before with the cop story line and drug rehab.

It could be interesting if he too Cuddy's job, but I'm sure he'd do something and Wilson would get him out of it.
Old 06-24-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00041572.html

Cast in the CBS show Good Wife.
Old 06-24-11, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk God

that's just insult to injury since it was assumed (for a while) that she just was done working to take a break.
Old 06-24-11, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
that's just insult to injury since it was assumed (for a while) that she just was done working to take a break.
Where did you read that she left House to take a break? From everything that I read, it was pretty clear she left because they did not offer her enough. In fact, I think they were cutting her salary.
Old 06-24-11, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by windom
Where did you read that she left House to take a break? From everything that I read, it was pretty clear she left because they did not offer her enough. In fact, I think they were cutting her salary.
On one of those entertainment blogs. Unfortuntely reading those seems to be hit or miss regarding actual information. I know we have that information now, but at least one speculated that she just didn't want to work anymore and that's why she left.