How I Met Your Mother -- "Challenge Accepted" (Season Finale) -- 05/16/11

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How I Met Your Mother -- "Challenge Accepted" (Season Finale) -- 05/16/11

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Robin and Barney meddle in Ted's relationship, but things get more complicated when Barney sees Nora again. An incident makes Marshall and Lily think he could die of food poisoning. Ted pushes ahead with being best man at a very important wedding.

Episode 24 of 24

---

It seems threads for this show are always started after the episode airs, lol.
Old 05-16-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: How I Met Your Mother -- "Challenge Accepted" (Season Finale) -- 05/16/11

Predictable but still a good episode. The Marshall and Lily stuff you can see coming a mile away, but it still had the heart that you expect from this show.

It also became very obvious that they would cut to the wedding and Barney would be the groom as the episode went on... I'm sure Robin will be the bride but I hope its Norah.
Old 05-16-11, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought this was a great end to an overall great season. While the Arcadian and Zoey did sort of drag it down toward the end, this has been the best season in recent years and really renewed my interest in the show.

---

I totally didn't see Lilly being pregnant coming. But I guess that's to be expected when they tell us Lilly and Marshall have both gotten food poisoning from that restaurant three times, lol. I don't think it was that cheap a trick though, since I can totally see Marshall and Lilly eating at a place like that.

Loved the ending with Barney and Nora. I assumed all season that Ted was the best man at Punchy's wedding, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it was actually Barney's wedding instead. And they left it open as to whether it's going to be Barney marrying Nora or Robin; personally, I hope it's Nora.

I thought Barney was going to have an alternate button to blow up the Arcadian and just let Ted think he got to blow it up, lol. I was sort of disappointed there wasn't more to that.

Ted was used pretty effectively this episode though and I liked the gag about the Orchids. And yeah, I totally fell for the "And that's how I met your mother," there at the end and was going to give the show credit for ending the season like that with the hopes that they'd move the plot along. Oh well...
Old 05-16-11, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought that Robin was going to cut in and blow up the building.

As for the ending, glad that it was Barney and not Ted's friend from earlier in the season, but I do hope it ends up being Robin.
Old 05-16-11, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice end to a great season.
Old 05-16-11, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I fell for "And that's how I met your mother" too. Stupid me

Also didn't see the Lily preggo thing coming.

0 for 2!

Good finale
Old 05-16-11, 08:05 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Solid finale tonight. Nice reveal at the end -- even if somewhat predictable.
Old 05-16-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The major thing I took away from this episode was that Dave Foley has aged quite a bit since News Radio.

Also, got fished in by the "reveal" (or not) of Ted's future wife.
Old 05-16-11, 11:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by movieking
I thought that Robin was going to cut in and blow up the building.
. So did I.

As for the ending, glad that it was Barney and not Ted's friend from earlier in the season, but I do hope it ends up being Robin.
I also was glad that it was barney's wedding, but I hope it's Nora.

I also let out a big "WHAT?!?!" when the fake mother was revealed. Rotfl
Old 05-17-11, 01:56 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
I thought Barney was going to have an alternate button to blow up the Arcadian and just let Ted think he got to blow it up, lol.
Same here

I figured since they were drawing out Marshall getting sick that she would be pregnant, but the bit with the fake mom got me.

I'm guessing Robin's the bride going off her reactions to Barney tonight.
Old 05-17-11, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Barney asking for Ted's advice...about a tie? That's gotta be a dream or something.
Old 05-17-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We learned that the mom is blonde. Right?

So, how did Barney decided between Ted and Marshall? (To be his best man)

Great season finale!
Old 05-17-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Might be my last season of this. The characters were once clever and funny, but are now just getting dull. Every interaction between them seems recycled, very little fresh. I used to laugh at Barney, now I just roll my eyes. Ted just comes across as pathetic. Too much effort on pointless stories (the whole Arcadian thing, Jesus, who cares?) and not enough on just being funny. Early seasons provided a lot of good laughs. Now they're few and far between.
Old 05-17-11, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Maybe that really was the mother and it wasn't a fake-out. Ted has always sort of flirted with meeting her throughout the series and this might just be one more time.
Old 05-17-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe there are no mother or children. Maybe in the end we go to the future and you see that Ted is in an insane asylum, telling the wall about how he met the walls mother. Then you see Marshall, Lily, Barney and Robin... all four happily married just sitting their crying because Ted got so lame about getting married that he actually went crazy.
Old 05-17-11, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Maybe that really was the mother and it wasn't a fake-out. Ted has always sort of flirted with meeting her throughout the series and this might just be one more time.
The series has been renewed for two more seasons, so that's not likely.
Old 05-17-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Might be my last season of this. The characters were once clever and funny, but are now just getting dull. Every interaction between them seems recycled, very little fresh. I used to laugh at Barney, now I just roll my eyes. Ted just comes across as pathetic. Too much effort on pointless stories (the whole Arcadian thing, Jesus, who cares?) and not enough on just being funny. Early seasons provided a lot of good laughs. Now they're few and far between.
I definitely think you're in the minority here. I think the general consensus is that this season was the best in recent years and really reinvigorated the show. If you had posted this last season, I'd have totally agreed with you, but this season, on the whole, was great. Yeah, the Arcadian dragged it down a bit, but only toward the end; earlier in the season there was lots of other stuff going on. I think people just forget about how good this season has been because of the hiatus, and that when it came back on the air it was mostly Zoey and Arcadian centric episodes.
Old 05-19-11, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mgbfan
I'm kind of with you, but I can stick around for two more seasons - there is no WAY they could drag it out longer!

This episode was tremendously sloppily written. That Ted would just leave his cellphone sitting at the table in McLaren's was dumb. Even more ridiculous was Barney and Robin rushing to Lily's apartment where they listen to a message she missed from Ted. How did he call her? And his reason for calling was lame. And why did Marshall come home from his meeting with Dave Foley and have that rant about puking when he apparently never really puked?

Originally Posted by RKillgore
Barney asking for Ted's advice...about a tie? That's gotta be a dream or something.
That was just stupidly written too if it isn't.

The BEST part of the episode was about how no one seems to listen to Ted. I had to laugh at that when both Robin and Barney admit to not listening/being in a coma when Ted goes off on his "emotional romantic crap." Same thing from Lily. Same thing from ME TOO!
Old 05-19-11, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Pretty good ep. I was faked out by the "mother reveal" at the end.

And I was one of those that totally thought it was supposed to be punchy's wedding they were going to. Weird that that whole plotline just got dropped after a few episodes.

Can't decide if I want it to be Norah or Robin that Barney is marrying.

Nice to see Dave Foley again. Man he's lookin old! I didn't even think about Lily being pregnant until right before the reveal. Probably should have seen it coming.
Old 05-19-11, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me as one that loved the show, got faked out aobut the mother reveal and didn't see it being Barney's wedding.

I can't wait for next season. To the person that mentioned the mother being blonde, I don't believe that's true. Unless, she's a brunette that dyes her hair blonde.
Old 05-19-11, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Xander
And I was one of those that totally thought it was supposed to be punchy's wedding they were going to. Weird that that whole plotline just got dropped after a few episodes.
I don't think it was dropped exactly. I think it was used as a red herring to get you to think the wedding was Punchy's wedding and throw you off the scent that it was Barney's the whole time.
Old 05-22-11, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They tend to not drop subplots. I think Punchy's wedding, along with Barney's will be next season. Also, I don't think the mother is blonde. IIRC when he was going through the Stella drama and he was intimating that she was the mother they did a cut away to the kids and they were blonde...
Old 05-23-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm surprised people are torn between Nora and Robin. Nora has been in, what, one other episode? We don't know jack about her. Plus she isn't in any of the "flash-forwards." It's bound to be Robin.

They totally got me with the "mother" reveal. Loved the use of the velociraptor sound effect.
Old 05-23-11, 09:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm surprised people are torn between Nora and Robin. Nora has been in, what, one other episode?
Was at least 2 episodes, and I think more like 3.
Old 05-23-11, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I'm surprised people are torn between Nora and Robin. Nora has been in, what, one other episode? We don't know jack about her. Plus she isn't in any of the "flash-forwards." It's bound to be Robin.
It doesn't HAVE to be Robin. They have plenty of time to build up Nora if they chose to. But I doubt they go that route and I say he ends up with Robin.

But the reason I'd take Nora over Robin is because I've never been much of a Robin fan and I certainly didn't think they were good together.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.