Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

First-time DVD Player Purchase

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

First-time DVD Player Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-00, 04:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read good and bad things about the Panasonic CV50, Pioneer 333, and Sony 550.

It seems like the most enthusiastic approvals were voiced by the Panasonic users. It would make sense to go this way because I have a new Panasonic 36" TV and a new Technics DX940 receiver.

But I'm also thinking that my Sony CD player (5 years old now) may need to be replaced in the not-too-distant future and was thinking that a 5-DVD changer would be a good option for that, except that I record a lot of CDs with my computer and would be bummed if I couldn't play them. I get the idea that only the Pioneer plays CD-R discs. Is this true? If so, is it a good enough reason to buy the Pioneer over the Panasonic?
Old 09-25-00, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Hi guyman,
Welcome to DVD Talk. In answer to your question - the Panasonic DVD players have a spotty reputation. While Panasonic may be good WRT other components their DVD players are not the best. You are right about the Pioneer players playing CD-Rs and they are pretty much the only ones that do currently. They are also solid DVD players with few or none hardware problems or software incompatibilities. Ditto with the Sony players. If CD-R playback is important go with the Pioneer, if not by all means consider the Sony. I would say they are overall the best two brands. If you want more opinions you might want to check out Audioreview.com.

------------------
MY SHORT BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

MY GETTING LONGER BUT SLOWLY EXPANDING DVD LIST

"The earth does not belong to people; people belong to the earth. Everything that happens to the earth happens also to the sons and daughters of the earth." -Chief Seattle.

[This message has been edited by cloud (edited September 25, 2000).]
Old 09-25-00, 09:01 AM

Don't count out Toshiba. I own the 2109 and it is fantastic. While it can't play CDRs everything else about it is wonderful. They are also more affordable then the Sonys.
Old 09-25-00, 09:30 AM

welcome to the forum.

i've owned a panasonic dvd a120 for slightly more than a year and have yet to have any problems with it. audioreview.com reviews tend to be biased one way or the other on most items; people with horror stories to tell and people such as myself who haven't had anything go wrong. for the money, you couldn't beat a panasonic player a year ago. now, pioneer players have come down in price and are more competitive. sony players tend to have more features, but at a generally much greater cost.

if you're concerned about reliability, pick up a copy of consumer reports 2000 product guide at the library. the reviews are completely unbiased, and a repair history by brand is also given. see which players have the fewest repairs. last year, it was the panasonic players, so you make the call.

my panasonic (A120) won't play cd-r, but it will recognize cd-rw. if playing cd-r audio cd's is important, i'd go with the pioneer. when i feel the need to upgrade, that what i'll mostly likely get.
Old 09-25-00, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Welcome to the forum!!!

Best Buy had a Sony..I believe the model was 560 for $249.99.

At this point and time, I would go with the Pioneer or Sony....stay away from Toshiba as they have had a lot of firmware problems with their players!! The player you buy from Toshiba may be out of date already in regards to the current firmware installed on the machine. I have a Panasonic A110 which has been a great player....but there have been problems with the Panasonics also!!!

Stick with Sony or Pioneer!!!!

------------------
http://www.dvdtracker.com/~djones6746.asp

"You know Andy...I never thought it would come to this....Mayberry....Gateway to danger."

Barney Fife