DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Iran's 'eye-for-an-eye' acid punishment

General Zod
05-15-11, 09:52 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1387223/Irans-eye-eye-acid-punishment-sentence-branded-inhumane.html

Fury at Iran's 'eye-for-an-eye' acid punishment as sentence is branded 'cruel and inhumane'

A punishment in which an Iranian man was to be blinded by having acid dropped into his eyes has been postponed after international condemnation.

Majid Movahedi was convicted and sentenced for pouring a bucket of acid over Ameneh Bahrami after she rejected his marriage proposals.

The attack left her blind and severely disfigured.

The court-ordered retribution was due to have been carried out yesterday in Tehran.

But it is understood the authorities in the Iranian capital decided to postpone the punishment, which is allowed under Sharia law if the victim requests it, because of national and international disquiet including concerns raised by the British Government.

Yesterday Ms Bahrami told Al Jazeera, the Qatar-based news service: ‘I was very happy that this was going to end today.

‘And yes, I was going to carry out the punishment myself, but I was afraid that I would get acid on my hands, so a doctor was going to do it. It’s been six years that I’ve been waiting. The verdict is completely legal.’

On November 3, 2004, Movahedi poured a bucket of acid on Ms Bahrami’s head as she was leaving work, after she had rejected his marriage proposal several times.

Two weeks after the attack Movahedi surrendered himself to the police.

He admitted attacking Ms Bahrami and his punishment was ordered by a court in 2008.

Among those unhappy about the prospect of Ms Bahrami exacting such a brutal revenge on her attacker was Amnesty International.

The organisation called for a stay of the sentence, which it described as ‘cruel and inhuman . . . amounting to torture’.

‘The Iranian authorities have a responsibility under international law to ensure it does not go ahead,’ it added.

Ms Bahrami, who was 24 when she met Movahedi in 2002, now lives in Spain where she has been undergoing medical treatment. She is blind in both eyes and still has serious injuries to her face and body.

You can click the link for a photo of what happened to her. I have NO problem with this and was hoping they would let her carry this out. Hopefully they will.

I should point out, because it isn't covered in this article, that what she wants to do to him a whole hell of a lot better than what he did to her. First off they were gonna drop 15-20 drops of acid in each of his eyes to blind him but he would be under anesthesia and no damage to the rest of him. I bet she wishes she could have gotten off nearly that easy.

NotThatGuy
05-15-11, 10:03 PM
Political Forum Fodder....?

I don't see a problem with the ruling. It is on foreign soil, involving their citizens, and it has the blessing of their country's court system. Just because the USA has a history of placing itself into everyone else's business, does not make it right. We need to stay the heck out of other country's and culture's business. The citizens of the country can address their own country's own legal system, it isn't our place to be Big Brother or attempt to impose our cultural beliefs on foreign soil.

It is arrogant to think that our way is "the right way". Do I think some foreign countries and cultures have beliefs that are incongruent with my own....heck yeah! Do I think I have the right, authority, or responsibility to enforce my belief system over someone else's...heck no. I think stabbing an animal and then taunting it/killing it for the amusement of thousands of people is disgusting, but I'm not trying to get the USA gov't to shut down bullfighting.

kvrdave
05-15-11, 10:05 PM
I have a hard time that Sharia law or Iran care if you did this to a woman.

Howiefan
05-15-11, 10:06 PM
Go Iran.

Troy Stiffler
05-15-11, 10:06 PM
I want to write, "wow, Iran is a really fucked up place". But we have plenty of creep cases like this too.

On a whim, the eye for an eye is fine with me. But I'm sure that it says something about society and blah blah blah - we're going to become monsters if we do it here.

whoopdido
05-15-11, 10:16 PM
Political Forum Fodder....?

I don't see a problem with the ruling. It is on foreign soil, involving their citizens, and it has the blessing of their country's court system. Just because the USA has a history of placing itself into everyone else's business, does not make it right. We need to stay the heck out of other country's and culture's business. The citizens of the country can address their own country's own legal system, it isn't our place to be Big Brother or attempt to impose our cultural beliefs on foreign soil.

It is arrogant to think that our way is "the right way". Do I think some foreign countries and cultures have beliefs that are incongruent with my own....heck yeah! Do I think I have the right, authority, or responsibility to enforce my belief system over someone else's...heck no. I think stabbing an animal and then taunting it/killing it for the amusement of thousands of people is disgusting, but I'm not trying to get the USA gov't to shut down bullfighting.

I'm sorry but where do you see the United States mentioned in the article? It says the British government had a problem with it and Amnesty International, which is based out of London, had a problem. I saw no mention of the United States.

NORML54601
05-15-11, 10:18 PM
I have a hard time that Sharia law or Iran care if you did this to a woman.

If she hadn't been showing her face, he probably wouldn't have tempted to propose and then be forced to pour acid on her.

whoopdido
05-15-11, 10:18 PM
And by the way, eye for an eye is fine with me.

Troy Stiffler
05-15-11, 10:20 PM
If she hadn't been showing her face, he probably wouldn't have tempted to propose and then be forced to pour acid on her.

Well, it's settled then. She got what was coming to her.

kvrdave
05-15-11, 10:24 PM
And by the way, eye for an eye is fine with me.

While it appeals to me, when I see the Quakers embrace the man who killed several children and was going to likely sexually assault them, I am in awe of them.

Th0r S1mpson
05-15-11, 10:24 PM
An eye for an eye makes the world have weird non-matching eyes.

Kittydreamer
05-15-11, 10:34 PM
wtf is wrong with people, seriously, just shoot him in the back of the head and be done already

NotThatGuy
05-15-11, 10:36 PM
I'm sorry but where do you see the United States mentioned in the article? It says the British government had a problem with it and Amnesty International, which is based out of London, had a problem. I saw no mention of the United States.

It's just another example of people wanting "Western Beliefs" to be "World Beliefs". It is just a matter of time before the USA gets involved and/or Obama will have to comment on it.

whoopdido
05-15-11, 10:41 PM
It's just another example of people wanting "Western Beliefs" to be "World Beliefs". It is just a matter of time before the USA gets involved and/or Obama will have to comment on it.

I see your point about western beliefs but for once the US isn't sticking their nose into another country's problem...yet. We probably will but at least as of now we haven't.

Numanoid
05-15-11, 11:07 PM
So how many of you guys are planning to move to Iran so that you can enjoy their enlightened system of punishment? :lol:

Nick Danger
05-15-11, 11:16 PM
http://estaticos.elmundo.es/elmundo/imagenes/2011/05/14/internacional/1305371147_0.jpg
Here's her picture, and she's holding the "before" picture. She has had years of pain, years of treatment, and many surgeries.

This is the sort of thing that makes me think about my stance against the death penalty.

NORML54601
05-15-11, 11:20 PM
http://estaticos.elmundo.es/elmundo/imagenes/2011/05/14/internacional/1305371147_0.jpg

What beautiful blue eye you have

PopcornTreeCt
05-15-11, 11:31 PM
So how many of you guys are planning to move to Iran so that you can enjoy their enlightened system of punishment? :lol:

:up:

Troy Stiffler
05-15-11, 11:49 PM

Not me. That place is a shithole. But I like knowing that somewhere out there, justice on Earth exists. Not that "God will judge" or "everyone is human" hippie nonsense.

covenant
05-15-11, 11:53 PM
While it appeals to me, when I see the Quakers embrace the man who killed several children and was going to likely sexually assault them, I am in awe of them.

Amish or Quakers?

Groucho
05-15-11, 11:57 PM
The middle-east is barbaric and should be nuked back into the stone age!!! Why can't we be more like them?

Troy Stiffler
05-16-11, 12:06 AM
The middle-east is barbaric and should be nuked back into the stone age!!! Why can't we be more like them?

Oh, stop it. You make it seem like nuclear war is a grey area. It's obvious that we should nuke them. But not before I go hiking in north Pakistan. I hear that place is beauuuuutiffulll.

Ky-Fi
05-16-11, 07:07 AM
Oh, won't someone explain to the Iranians that they're misunderstanding Islam, and that it's only a tiny minority of extremists who would advocate that interpretation of Sharia law?!! Surely, CAIR and Imam Rauf will be on the forefront of challenging the Iranians on this!!

kvrdave
05-16-11, 01:54 PM
Amish or Quakers?

Amish, I guess. I guess that because you asked the question and I truly don't know the difference. :)

Th0r S1mpson
05-16-11, 01:57 PM
Oh, won't someone explain to the Iranians that they're misunderstanding Islam, and that it's only a tiny minority of extremists who would advocate that interpretation of Sharia law?!!

If you took a poll of Americans, what percentage do you think would support this punishment when presented with that photo of the victim?

Ky-Fi
05-16-11, 02:07 PM
If you took a poll of Americans, what percentage do you think would support this punishment when presented with that photo of the victim?

I would say there's quite a difference between an emotional reaction to a specfic horrific incident and a codified, institutionalized legal system which is theologically supported by centuries of scholarly exegesis of religious texts and tradition. Also, I can't speak for others, but I would say that blinding someone with acid as punishment for a crime is objectively barbaric, no matter what country it's done in.

van der graaf
05-16-11, 02:30 PM
I would say there's quite a difference between an emotional reaction to a specfic horrific incident and a codified, institutionalized legal system which is theologically supported by centuries of scholarly exegesis of religious texts and tradition. Also, I can't speak for others, but I would say that blinding someone with acid as punishment for a crime is objectively barbaric, no matter what country it's done in.

I agree. He shouldn't be blinded in return; he should be killed. Not as punishment, but because people deserve to not have some sick fuck like that around.

Th0r S1mpson
05-16-11, 02:31 PM
I would say there's quite a difference between an emotional reaction to a specfic horrific incident and a codified, institutionalized legal system which is theologically supported by centuries of scholarly exegesis of religious texts and tradition.

Saying that would prove your ability to use fancy words, while failing to answer the question.

Ky-Fi
05-16-11, 02:37 PM
Saying that would prove your ability to use fancy words, but would fail to answer the question.

Then let me rephrase: no, I don't think it's likely that the predominant religious denominations in the US are going to come out in favor of this type of punishment, they're not going to quote Christian texts as support for that, they're not going to field candidates for election, who will have so much popular support among the US public that they'll be voted into office and appoint like-minded people to the Supreme Court, so that ultimately our legal system will resemble that of Iran, and we'll be blinding criminals with acid. I'm not confident of this scenario coming to pass.

Numanoid
05-16-11, 02:38 PM
If you took a poll of Americans, what percentage do you think would support this punishment when presented with that photo of the victim?Yeah. I think all public policy and criminal guilt should be determined by a poll taken after showing an emotionally devastating photograph and being presented with one side of a story. Sounds like Utopia!

wishbone
05-16-11, 02:55 PM
Yeah. I think all public policy and criminal guilt should be determined by a poll taken after showing an emotionally devastating photograph and being presented with one side of a story. Sounds like Utopia!I cannot think of any scenario where ambushing someone to disfigure their face with acid is justifiable but that being said I think he should keep his sight and do hard time in prison (http://www.rferl.org/content/a_disturbing_glimpse_of_iranian_prison_life/24097056.html) instead.

Th0r S1mpson
05-16-11, 03:05 PM
Then let me rephrase: no, I don't think it's likely that the predominant religious denominations in the US are going to come out in favor of this type of punishment, they're not going to quote Christian texts as support for that, they're not going to field candidates for election, who will have so much popular support among the US public that they'll be voted into office and appoint like-minded people to the Supreme Court, so that ultimately our legal system will resemble that of Iran, and we'll be blinding criminals with acid. I'm not confident of this scenario coming to pass.

I agree. :)

NORML54601
05-16-11, 03:28 PM
I cannot think of any scenario where ambushing someone to disfigure their face with acid is justifiable but that being said I think he should keep his sight and do hard time in prison (http://www.rferl.org/content/a_disturbing_glimpse_of_iranian_prison_life/24097056.html) instead.

How many times do I have to say it, bitch should have been wearing her burqa.

Numanoid
05-16-11, 03:34 PM
I cannot think of any scenario where ambushing someone to disfigure their face with acid is justifiable but that being said I think he should keep his sight and do hard time in prison (http://www.rferl.org/content/a_disturbing_glimpse_of_iranian_prison_life/24097056.html) instead.In this case, one side may be enough on which to make a decision. But for how many cases would that really hold true? And who would get to decide which cases get both sides heard? It's a ridiculously childish concept, but lord knows how DVD Talkers love their vigilante justice. :lol:

General Zod
05-16-11, 04:06 PM
but lord knows how DVD Talkers love their vigilante justice. :lol:

Well if they not only blind him but also blind everyone in his family people will REALLY think before pulling these sorts of shenanigans again!

BearFan
05-16-11, 05:06 PM
I thought we were supposed to be tolerant of others and just let them be. We clearly do not understand them, it is our fault if we find fault with this for daring to fault anything not mainly associated with white straigh males.

Anyone against this is clearly anti-Muslim.

PatD
05-16-11, 05:34 PM
I like the people who are usually against multiculturalism (especially with the Middle East), unless it pertains to state sanctioned maiming.

What would the Founding Fathers say about this?

Th0r S1mpson
05-16-11, 05:37 PM
What would the Founding Fathers say about this?

"Where is Iran?"

In addition to some fairly racist comments, I assume.

Mabuse
05-16-11, 05:51 PM
God they hate women over there. I in no way condone this retarded version of justice.

But while we're on the subject of Iran, I would probably support the liquidation of a considerable portion of its population. You really can't have reform until a masive shift in the thinking of the population occurs.

Ky-Fi
05-16-11, 06:10 PM
This is a bit after the founding fathers, but this is what John Quincy Adams, in the 1830s, had to say about Islam :shrug: :

Adams on Jesus Christ and Christianity, Relative to Muhammad and Islam
"And he [Jesus] declared, that the enjoyment of felicity in the world hereafter, would be reward of the practice of benevolence here. His whole law was resolvable into the precept of love; peace on earth – good will toward man, was the early object of his mission; and the authoritative demonstration of the immortality of man, was that, which constituted the more than earthly tribute of glory to God in the highest… The first conquest of the religion of Jesus, was over the unsocial passions of his disciples. It elevated the standard of the human character in the scale of existence…On the Christian system of morals, man is an immortal spirit, confined for a short space of time, in an earthly tabernacle. Kindness to his fellow mortals embraces the whole compass of his duties upon earth, and the whole promise of happiness to his spirit hereafter. THE ESSENCE OF THIS DOCTRINE IS, TO EXALT THE SPIRITUAL OVER THE BRUTAL PART OF HIS NATURE." (Adam's capital letters)….[pp. 267-268]

“In the seventh century of the Christian era, a wandering Arab of the lineage of Hagar [i.e., Muhammad], the Egyptian, combining the powers of transcendent genius, with the preternatural energy of a fanatic, and the fraudulent spirit of an impostor, proclaimed himself as a messenger from Heaven, and spread desolation and delusion over an extensive portion of the earth. Adopting from the sublime conception of the Mosaic law, the doctrine of one omnipotent God; he connected indissolubly with it, the audacious falsehood, that he was himself his prophet and apostle. Adopting from the new Revelation of Jesus, the faith and hope of immortal life, and of future retribution, he humbled it to the dust by adapting all the rewards and sanctions of his religion to the gratification of the sexual passion. He poisoned the sources of human felicity at the fountain, by degrading the condition of the female sex, and the allowance of polygamy; and he declared undistinguishing and exterminating war, as a part of his religion, against all the rest of mankind. THE ESSENCE OF HIS DOCTRINE WAS VIOLENCE AND LUST: TO EXALT THE BRUTAL OVER THE SPIRITUAL PART OF HUMAN NATURE (Adam's capital letters)….Between these two religions, thus contrasted in their characters, a war of twelve hundred years has already raged. The war is yet flagrant…While the merciless and dissolute dogmas of the false prophet shall furnish motives to human action, there can never be peace upon earth, and good will towards men.” [p. 269]

Adams on Jihad War, Dhimmitude, and the Muslim View of Non-Muslims; Examples of the Perfidy of Muslim States, Including the Ottoman Turkish State

“As the essential principle of his faith is the subjugation of others by the sword; it is only by force, that his false doctrines can be dispelled, and his power annihilated.

They [The Russians] have been from time immemorial, in a state of almost perpetual war with the Tatars, and with their successors, the Ottoman conquerors of Constantinople. It were an idle waste of time to trace the causes of each renewal of hostilities, during a succession of several centuries. The precept of the Koran is, perpetual war against all who deny, that Mahomet is the prophet of God. The vanquished may purchase their lives, by the payment of tribute; the victorious may be appeased by a false and delusive promise of peace; and the faithful follower of the prophet, may submit to the imperious necessities of defeat: but the command to propagate the Moslem creed by the sword is always obligatory, when it can be made effective. The commands of the prophet may be performed alike, by fraud, or by force....”

http://archive.frontpagemag.com/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=11283

Numanoid
05-16-11, 08:57 PM
I thought we were supposed to be tolerant of others and just let them be. We clearly do not understand them, it is our fault if we find fault with this for daring to fault anything not mainly associated with white straigh males.

Anyone against this is clearly anti-Muslim.One kvrdave here is enough.

aktick
05-16-11, 10:13 PM
One kvrdave here is enough.

And one Numanoid is one too many. :mad:

al_bundy
05-17-11, 08:36 AM
This is a bit after the founding fathers, but this is what John Quincy Adams, in the 1830s, had to say about Islam :shrug: :

http://archive.frontpagemag.com/readArticle.aspx?ARTID=11283

i guess you missed the part where christian europe was at war with itself during the same time almost continuously until 1945.

Ky-Fi
05-17-11, 08:56 AM
i guess you missed the part where christian europe was at war with itself during the same time almost continuously until 1945.

Maybe J Q Adams was an ignorant bumpkin when it came to European history and politics. You can take that up with him---I just posted the quote. :)

al_bundy
05-17-11, 09:13 AM
one of the reasons for america's existence is the wars between catholics and protestants starting with the 30 years war. the french catholics literally wiped out parts of modern day germany to the point where almost every civilian died from being killed or disease or starvation.

the reason the germans eat so much potatoes is that they weren't that popular after being brought over from america. but during the 30 year's war when armies would take your food for themselves you could more easily hide potatoes since they grew in the ground.

i'm not going to get into the northern european crusades

General Zod
05-17-11, 10:34 AM
Update..

"I announced that I want two million euros to guarantee my life and my future, and not for treatment," Ameneh Bahrami told the paper.

"It is only then that I will give up qesas (retributive justice) against Majid, although they said -- and I hope it is true -- that the sentence will be carried out next week," she added.

So it looks like it may be "on" for next week unless he pays up. It seems to me she'd much rather have the punishment done but is banking (so to speak) that it may not happen.

al_bundy
05-17-11, 10:36 AM
i hope there is a youtube video of her pouring acid on him

at least this is a change from the usual stoning a chick for an alleged affair

eXcentris
05-17-11, 11:26 AM

20 pages of death penalty debate coming in 1, 2. ... :)

Larry C.
05-17-11, 11:31 AM
What beautiful blue eye you have

Yes its like a blue/grey. Very nice indeed.

General Zod
07-31-11, 03:27 PM
So she got what she wanted... she got permission to get retribution. She had him in the operating room and about to pour the acid into his eyes...and.... she pardoned him. Whimp.

kvrdave
07-31-11, 04:07 PM
Heard that on the radio. Good for her.

Ky-Fi
07-31-11, 07:45 PM
Heard that on the radio. Good for her.

:thumbsup:

whoopdido
07-31-11, 09:41 PM
So what happens to him now? He goes free? If that's true, then fuck her. At a minimum he should serve time. I don't fault her for "chickening out" but don't let the guy get off Scott free.

General Zod
07-31-11, 10:13 PM
Yeah.. she should have gone through with it. And then when she was done and he was writhing there in pain she should have laughed a long long laugh that would echo in his perfect ears. That is what to the pain means.

kvrdave
07-31-11, 10:26 PM
So what happens to him now? He goes free? If that's true, then fuck her. At a minimum he should serve time. I don't fault her for "chickening out" but don't let the guy get off Scott free.

No idea what happens. I generally tend to feel the same way you do, but when I hear about the Amish, Quakers, etc. forgive someone who does some terrible evil to them, I am in awe. I don't know that I could do that. I hope that I could. Hopefully he still serves time and pays her living expenses, given that she probably has no means to support herself in their society now.