Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Older films you recently saw for the very first time

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-11, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I'm quite sure there has been at least one thread like this before in the past, but I just did a few searches and came up empty. So if the mods find that and want to merge, please do. That said, there are many many classics I have yet to see. Most of the films I've seen have been from around 1975 until now. But I'm trying to catch up on all films considered great or classic. Just last week, I saw "Dog Day Afternoon" for the very first time. And I thought it was great, of course. I think it was Pacino's best performance aside from the first two "Godfather" films. And more recent, I saw "Road to Perdition" tonight for the first time. No excuse for not seeing this earlier. Thought it was also terrific. Just wanted to know what older films you have watched for the very first time recently.
Old 05-15-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Older films you recently saw for the very first time

The Third Man

I thought it was fantastic. Although the ending has been notoriously spoiled, it is a terrific film.
Old 05-15-11, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I'm quite sure there has been at least one thread like this before in the past, but I just did a few searches and came up empty. So if the mods find that and want to merge, please do.
I thought this would have been the "Official" topic:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...irst-time.html
Old 05-15-11, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I thought this would have been the "Official" topic:
Ah, yes. Here we go. Thanks for providing that nearly 5 year old thread Mondo Kane. I already said I tried to find a "recent" discussion about this. How about offering some new dialogue without being an ass hole. As tough as it must seem.
Old 05-16-11, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Jesus f'ng Christ, dude.
If I wanted to be an asshole, I would've said some shit like "You didn't search hard enough"
I hate to be quoting you again, but
I'm quite sure there has been at least one thread like this before in the past
and you're correct. I did a search and that's what came up. So LORD FORGIVE ME for trying to help someone out by finding a fucking thread that has a similar title & subject.

Now you're on my ass by saying you were looking for a very "Recent" discussion of the topic. Well, if you bothered to look past page 1 of that thread, you would see that the topic didn't start AND end 5 years ago. Does 2009 count as recent? (Perhaps it might've been the recent topic you once saw before?) If not, then I guess you're still free to call me an asshole.
Old 05-16-11, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Yeah, that's a way harsh reaction and the mods don't look kindly on name-calling.

Hope you won't have the same reaction when I post a more recent thread that I remember posting in.

Old 05-16-11, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE - thought it was perfect
Old 05-16-11, 04:17 AM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Watched NIGHT OF THE HUNTER and thought it was fantastic. Great performance by Mitchum.
Old 05-16-11, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Jesus f'ng Christ, dude.
If I wanted to be an asshole, I would've said some shit like "You didn't search hard enough"
I hate to be quoting you again, but and you're correct. I did a search and that's what came up. So LORD FORGIVE ME for trying to help someone out by finding a fucking thread that has a similar title & subject.

Now you're on my ass by saying you were looking for a very "Recent" discussion of the topic. Well, if you bothered to look past page 1 of that thread, you would see that the topic didn't start AND end 5 years ago. Does 2009 count as recent? (Perhaps it might've been the recent topic you once saw before?) If not, then I guess you're still free to call me an asshole.
My apologies. But when you said "I thought this would have been the "Official" topic". I thought you were being a jerk, and not sincere. With "this" being in italic. I was telling the mods to just merge if they felt there was one too many threads on this subject. And I searched under the word "movies" in the subject line and went through several pages finding nothing close. So again, I'm sorry.
Old 05-16-11, 09:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are we back to playing nice?

I've recently seen A Face In The Crowd. Elia Kazan film with Andy Griffith. Absolutely phenomenal. Griffith plays 100% against type and knocks it out of the park.

I got the Criterion of The Sweet Smell of Success and it also blew me away. One of the best scripts I've ever encountered. Burt Lancaster was unstoppable in that film.

And finally 12 Angry Men in honor of Lumet. What wonderful performances. That's filmmaking.
Old 05-16-11, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Are we back to playing nice?

I've recently seen A Face In The Crowd. Elia Kazan film with Andy Griffith. Absolutely phenomenal. Griffith plays 100% against type and knocks it out of the park.

I got the Criterion of The Sweet Smell of Success and it also blew me away. One of the best scripts I've ever encountered. Burt Lancaster was unstoppable in that film.

And finally 12 Angry Men in honor of Lumet. What wonderful performances. That's filmmaking.
I'm actually looking for suggestions. My Netflix queue is empty. So I'm taking notes. Thanks!
Old 05-16-11, 09:39 PM
Banned by request

Strangely, I also recently watched Road To Perdition. Really sumptuous film.

Dog Day Afternoon is, imo, Pacino's all time best performance.

I'm watching the Criterion of Blow Out now. So good.
Old 05-16-11, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Strangely, I also recently watched Road To Perdition. Really sumptuous film.

Dog Day Afternoon is, imo, Pacino's all time best performance.

I'm watching the Criterion of Blow Out now. So good.
Did you just see "Perdition" for the first time too recently? Yeah, I thought the attention to detail on that film was superb. I had to look it up to see how much it made at the box office (104K), and yet you don't hear it mentioned very much. And how did it not get a Best Picture nomination at the Oscars!??

Yeah, I'm starting to rethink my opinion about Pacino's best performance. He blew me away in "Dog Day Afternoon".

Agree with you 1000% on "Blow Out". I have to get that BD when the price drops a little. One of De Palma's top 5 films, for sure. I'm a huge fan of his.
Old 05-16-11, 10:04 PM
Banned by request

I got it from that Amazon sale. $18.99.
Old 05-16-11, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got it from that Amazon sale. $18.99.
(insert needle removed from a record sound) WHUH!?? Heading to Amazon to prey that sale is still on. Hoping "Something Wild" is also on sale.....

Edit: Fuck me, it's back up to $27.99
Old 05-16-11, 10:12 PM
Banned by request

Yeah, deal's over. They had a ton of Criterions for cheap. I got Blow Out, Sweet Smell of Success, and Shock Corridor. Oh yeah, also watch Shock Corridor.
Old 05-16-11, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Need to full days of rain to watch all these. Noted. Also, I haven't see "The Sweet Smell of Success" either.
Old 05-16-11, 10:20 PM
Banned by request

I think Sweet Smell of Success would be right up your alley.
Old 05-16-11, 10:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just went to check out "Maniac" at this little original theatre outta Metuchen, N.J. on May 7th, and the director William Lustig was there after the showing to talk, and take questions from the audience. It's funny, I actually got to see "Jaws" in the theatres way back in 75', but I missed great flicks like Aliens, The Warriors, and Phantasm, from 79', doesn't make any sense to me! Anyways, I got to see Maniac on the big screen, and after all the hoopla surrounding how severe it was, I was actually very dissapointed in a big way, I guess I expected a whole lot more, considering its legend.
Old 05-16-11, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Sweet Smell of Success would be right up your alley.
Why, is the soundtrack by Depeche Mode? O.K. Done, and done.
Old 05-17-11, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I recently watched Serpico. I'd heard nothing but good things about it. Even though Pacino was awesome, I thought it was an an extremely boring film and will probably never watch it again.
Old 05-17-11, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Finally sat all the way through Fiddler on the Roof. Enjoyed it way more than I figured I would. And Starsky is in it!
Old 05-17-11, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the Secret of my Success... cool movie
Old 05-17-11, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 443 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I'm quite sure there has been at least one thread like this before in the past, but I just did a few searches and came up empty. So if the mods find that and want to merge, please do. That said, there are many many classics I have yet to see. Most of the films I've seen have been from around 1975 until now. But I'm trying to catch up on all films considered great or classic. Just last week, I saw "Dog Day Afternoon" for the very first time. And I thought it was great, of course. I think it was Pacino's best performance aside from the first two "Godfather" films. And more recent, I saw "Road to Perdition" tonight for the first time. No excuse for not seeing this earlier. Thought it was also terrific. Just wanted to know what older films you have watched for the very first time recently.
It's nice that you took the plunge and checked out some older films before 1975...and by older I mean 0 years and -27 years
Old 05-17-11, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I recently saw Bathing Beauty with Red Skelton, Basil Rathbone and Esther Williams. Fun movie. I'd love to get it on BD if it were available.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.