DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Receiver question

Old 09-21-00, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a Sony STR-DE 915 2 years ago and have had nothing but trouble. I got it at Dillard's b/c my wife worked there and they have agreed to give me store credit to get a new one. I have a couple of questions. 1) Any thoughts on which Sony I should get for use with DVD player and to listen to music? I have to stick with Sony since that is pretty much all Dillard's carries. 2) I have wireless rear speakers and the new Sony's that I saw do not have the wireless output. Is theyre a new Sony with this or is there a converter to use with those recievers without a wireless speaker out? I need to keep the same speakers for a number of reasons so don't tell me to buy new ones. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-22-00, 04:24 PM

Help me out here guys.
Old 09-22-00, 05:19 PM

Well if you want help you need to at least give a price range. I have a Sony 555ES and am very happy with it. It has many good features and has not given me any problems as of yet. My only gripes about it are there are a few features you can only access on the remote and not on the reciever, and I don't really like the touch pad remote. Other then those few things I feel my money was well spent. I picked this up for about $600 online. There is also a new model out the 444ES which has gotten good reviews, but without a price range it is hard to reccomend what you should get.

I am not sure about the wireless output. When I get home from work I will check for you. Are there any other features or requirements you need this reciever to meet?
Old 09-22-00, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the input. As for price range, really doesn't matter though I would like to stay under $600. I will be getting $350 for my receiver so it won't be that hard for me to add another couple hundred. My biggest thing is that I want it to have DD 5.1/DTS decoder and would like wireless out if there isn't a way to convert to it. I don't need top of the line but want something up there. Was looking at the STR-DE845 found here http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer...tr-de845.shtml to give you an idea. Thanks again.
Old 09-22-00, 08:43 PM
BEC

Go w/ DB models not DE. Better build quality, better parts, less complaints about overheating or just plain out dying.

DB830 and DB930 are being replaced by the DB840 and DB940. You can get a good deal on
DB_30 receivers, but the DB_40 are worth the extra just for the bass management feature alone.

Oade Brothers and J&R oftern price match one another.
Old 09-25-00, 01:15 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by BEC:
Go w/ DB models not DE. Better build quality, better parts, less complaints about overheating or just plain out dying.

<HR>

Looks like I have to go with the DE b/c it is all that Dillard's carries. I am going to get a store credit there so I have to buy there. The best they have is a STR-DE 845. I will basically get it as a straight across trade so I think I will be better off than I am now. I still have the Dillard's guy calling the Sony rep and see what they can do for me. Maybe get top-of-the-line for all my trouble. Anyway, thanks for the input. Any more would be great.