Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Horror Film Club (May 2nd) - Waxwork

DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Old 05-02-11, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Waxwork (1988)

IMDB | Trailer | Review

NETFLIX WATCH INSTANTLY LINK

Selected by Darkgod

SYNOPSIS:
Spoiler:
Welcome to the WAXWORK... the mysterious place where every picture tells a horror story. The private midnight showing is about to begin with the scariest bunch of drips you'll ever meet! Gremlins star ZACH GALLIGAN co-stars in this comedy of terrors with DEBORAH FOREMAN (My Chauffeur), MILES O'KEEFE (Tarzan), MICHELLE JOHNSON (Blame It in Rio), DAVID WARNER (Time after Time) and the special effects of BOB KEEN (Alien, Hellraiser)!

Inside the wax museum, a group of teenagers are aghast at the hauntingly life like wax displays of Dracula, the Wolfman, the Mummy and other charter members of the horror Hall of Fame.
Each display is perfectly grotesque, yet each is missing one thing...a victim! Admission the Waxwork was free, but now they may pay with their lives!
One by one, the students are drawn into the settings as objects of the bloodthirsty creatures.
They are now part of the permanent collection. No movie you've ever seen before can hold a candle to WAXWORK!

FUN FACTS
During the scene in the basement of the vampire's mansion, crew on the sets said that it was "The bloodiest thing ever put to the screen".
Much of the gore in the scene was cut by the MPAA.

Effects artist Bob Keen spent 18 hours a day for 8 weeks working on the monsters in the film.

There were four characters that were supposed to be displays in the Waxwork, but left out of the film for legal reasons:
Jason Vorhees from Friday the 13th (1980/I), five children from Village of the Damned (1960), the Golem, and the Thing.

Spoiler tags are unnecessary in discussion threads, so if you have yet to see the film BEWARE OF SPOILERS.

HFC HOME

Old 05-11-11, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts
Re: Horror Film Club (May 2nd) - Waxwork

Well...this was an odd one. It's one of those that I remember the VHS cover art well but for some reason never rented it as a teen. By the way, the transfer for the Netflix streaming is a stunningly muddy 4:3 transfer that looks like it came straight from a VHS tape.

Nothing in this movie works. Nothing. The acting is cheesy. The dialogue is lame. The horror isn't scary. The action scenes are hokey. The editing is poor. The effects are bad. The sets are cheap. The intentional comedy falls flat.

So why the fuck did I mildly enjoy this flick? No idea. Can't explain it. I can see that if I had seen this as a teen back in '88, I probably would hold some serious nostalgia for the flick and would probably love it. But since that didn't happen, I will just have to say that I enjoyed it for no good reason whatsoever. Please someone please explain this to me.

My rating: *** out of *****

Now this movie seems ripe for a remake in my opinion.
Old 05-16-11, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

This movie is such a guilty pleasure of mine because it is pure 80's cheese, including one of Munchkins. As Brian said everything is terrible about this movie, but to me it brings me back to a time when everything was simpler, including the horror movies. The premise is kind of cool, and could be a good choice for a reimaging. With modern sleekness, effects, and some better actors I think it could end up being a good little movie.

5/10
Old 05-17-11, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Moderately entertaining flick. I'd give it a 6/10. As Brainluv said I'm not sure why I was entertained but I am when I watch it.
Old 05-17-11, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,058 Likes on 641 Posts

Glad to see I wasn't the only one. I plan to take up the sequel soon since it is also available streaming on Netflix. Yes...I am a glutton for punishment.
Old 05-17-11, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ironically, I just found the Waxwork/Waxwork 2 dvd. I liked "Waxwork" for being a different kind of horror movie. I appreciate horror that is slightly original, which is what "Waxwork" is partially. While "Waxwork" is good, I liked part 2 better. Since this is about part 1, it had some inventive kills. I like seing Zach Galligan in another role other than in "Gremlins."

Last edited by Kguy1326; 05-17-11 at 03:42 PM.