Law and Order: LA (NBC) -- Series Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 04-14-10, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From Deadline

Dick Wolf is once again looking to expand his Law & Order empire to 4 series on the air. Sources tell me that NBC has picked up Law & Order: Los Angeles (aka LOLA) with a 13-episode order for fall. Brotherhood creator Blake Masters is on board to write the new series set in Los Angeles with Wolf. The Wolf Films/UMS project has been in development for the past couple of months.
I don't watch any of the L&Os, but if NBC were interested in a cop show set in Los Angeles, why not pick up SouthLAn....oh...yeah, I forgot...

Also found at the above link, both the original Law & Order and SVU are lining up for their 21st and 12th seasons, respectively.

Last edited by MrSmearkase; 04-14-10 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-14-10, 04:42 PM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts
Re: Law and Order: Los Angeles gets 13-episode order from NBC

I stopped watching all the L&O about a year ago.

The cable reruns were getting too familiar, so I thought that if I waited a few years, I could see something new.
Old 04-14-10, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if they are going to have a shtick, or if they are just trying to refresh the original series. Given the original's mediocre ratings I don't see the demand for another spin off. Maybe it's just NBC's need for primetime programming.

I watched the last US spinoff, Trial By Jury and only stuck it out through the first 3 because it was Orbach's finale performance. I think casting was a big problem for that show because the female lead (Frasier's ex-wife) just didn't do it for me.

I've also watched most of the UK spinoff. That's interesting because they cannibalized scripts from the early seasons of the original. It was also interesting because while it maintained some of the tropes of the original it definitely had a different style. It was more melodramatic in tone and the characters were more personally invested and passionate about the cases. For instance, on more than one occasion the episode would end with the McCoy character in a cemetery or park consoling the victim's family after the verdict.
Old 04-14-10, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by wmansir
I wonder if they are going to have a shtick, or if they are just trying to refresh the original series. Given the original's mediocre ratings I don't see the demand for another spin off. Maybe it's just NBC's need for primetime programming.
We have a winner.

The more news like this that comes out, the better I feel about "Chuck" coming back for another season. They aren't in a position to dump anything.
Old 04-14-10, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Depending on who they cast as the leads, I may try this. I've never been a huge Law and Order fan, I've watched it on and off, but I did watch the entire run of Trial by Jury mainly for Orbach and thought it was good. I was actually shocked that got cancelled since it was pulling decent numbers. But, I agree that Bebe Neuwirth and Amy Carlson were very weak lead actors.
Old 04-14-10, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm still a L&O fan but they need to stop with the spin offs and focus on maintaining quality on the 3 they have
hell, they don't even give lip service to the court portion anymore on CI and SVU has very little of it
Old 04-14-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,359 Likes on 922 Posts

i think the original L&O has gotten much better the past few years. certainly not the heyday it once had, but it's got back to good stories.
Old 04-15-10, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
i think the original L&O has gotten much better the past few years. certainly not the heyday it once had, but it's got back to good stories.
Yeah, the original is back to being my favorite, it was really hurting after Orbach left but the nearly complete cast changover has made it really good again.
Old 04-15-10, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Dick Wolf basically did this already....it was called L.A. Dragnet with Ed O'Neill. It was actually pretty good - Ed O'Neill made a great Joe Friday.

The original was very good last year. This year it's been kind of meh.
Old 04-15-10, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't seen a spin-off yet that I liked, but the original is a great concept, and I'm glad it is still growing strong. I just hope the DVDs start coming out faster. It will be interesting to see if the new one is the original in a new setting (cool), or another new theme (no thanks).
Old 04-15-10, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
Also found at the above link, both the original Law & Order and SVU are lining up for their 21st and 12th seasons, respectively.
With 21 seasons, L&O passes Gunsmoke as the longest running drama. It's only behind 60 Minutes and The Simpsons.
Old 04-15-10, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

SVU is my favorite, so I'm hoping the new one is more like that.
Old 04-15-10, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I still watch the original on TNT reruns. Never really watched the others. Probably won't watch LOLA, unless they cast someone I really like.
Old 04-16-10, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Unless they cast someone interesting, I'm not sure how different this is from the mothership. The original is the best of the 3 on tv anyway. SVU has become unwatchable and CI is boring without Vincent D'Nofrio.
Old 04-17-10, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

It's almost too bad they are doing it in LA, just becasue so many shows have been done there, a Law and Order set in the south or midwest might be more interestin (or at least different). I enjoyed Brotherhood, I would assume since they brought Masters on it is to give some kind of new twist to the formula.

Glad to see the original loosk good for another year, I think the cast they have now is one of the better ones they have had.
Old 04-17-10, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

I dunno I might give this a try but the only Law & Order series I was watching recently was Criminal Intent and even the quality of that was going down. Now that Goren and Eames are off I really don't have as much interest in it. The original and SVU I got tired of a long time ago.
Old 04-17-10, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by BearFan
It's almost too bad they are doing it in LA, just becasue so many shows have been done there, a Law and Order set in the south or midwest might be more interestin (or at least different). I enjoyed Brotherhood, I would assume since they brought Masters on it is to give some kind of new twist to the formula.

Glad to see the original loosk good for another year, I think the cast they have now is one of the better ones they have had.
I have to echo something a lot like this. Justified gives us a taste of law enforcement in a different setting, but something like L&O Birmingham or L&O Austin would have been far more interesting to me. Give us a smaller city setting, shoot it in that city (make sure it's in a state with the proper subsidies), and try to fuse the L&O formula with something distinct and different from what we have seen out of it so far.

ETA: Though it's a bigger city, L&O: Detroit would be fascinating.
Old 04-17-10, 08:36 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Awesome...a L&O at 10pm every night. Way to go NBC!
Old 04-17-10, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Awesome...a L&O at 10pm every night. Way to go NBC!
I'm for it. Better than Leno for sure.
Old 04-17-10, 08:47 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Awesome! I love L&O!
Old 04-17-10, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
I have to echo something a lot like this. Justified gives us a taste of law enforcement in a different setting, but something like L&O Birmingham or L&O Austin would have been far more interesting to me. Give us a smaller city setting, shoot it in that city (make sure it's in a state with the proper subsidies), and try to fuse the L&O formula with something distinct and different from what we have seen out of it so far.

ETA: Though it's a bigger city, L&O: Detroit would be fascinating.
Before CSI: New York got green lighted, they were actually seriously considering CSI: New Orleans as the 3rd spinoff, but scrapped it because it would have been too expensive to shoot on location there and you can't fake New Orleans in Los Angeles.

I would love to see a law enforcement show in a smaller city other than LA, Washington DC, New York or Chicago, which 95% of all procedurals are based out of.

If they cast a good lead actor/actress for L&O: LA, then maybe I would consider watching it, but I have to agree that LA is such an overused city in television shows.
Old 04-17-10, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
Before CSI: New York got green lighted, they were actually seriously considering CSI: New Orleans as the 3rd spinoff, but scrapped it because it would have been too expensive to shoot on location there and you can't fake New Orleans in Los Angeles.

I would love to see a law enforcement show in a smaller city other than LA, Washington DC, New York or Chicago, which 95% of all procedurals are based out of.

If they cast a good lead actor/actress for L&O: LA, then maybe I would consider watching it, but I have to agree that LA is such an overused city in television shows.
Not that it was a procedural, exactly, but this reminds me about the short-lived Line of Fire. Richmond before it got cleaned up was really a perfect not seen before but plenty interesting setting for a law enforcement show.
Old 04-18-10, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The only problem with using a smaller city is plausibility. Suspending disbelief on CSI Vegas is borderline at this point giving us 2-3 murders a week for 9 years. Granted L&O typically sticks to one case, I'd still have a problem with those numbers on a show set in a small city.
Old 04-18-10, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
The only problem with using a smaller city is plausibility. Suspending disbelief on CSI Vegas is borderline at this point giving us 2-3 murders a week for 9 years. Granted L&O typically sticks to one case, I'd still have a problem with those numbers on a show set in a small city.
Birmingham, Alabama apparently has (or fairly recently had) around 90 murders a year.

With that said, I think an expansion into something other than murder would be one of the things that would need to happen. In a place like that, a serial robber or burglar would be a big case. A larger drug distributor would be a big case. Does Birmingham have dedicated homicide detectives? My guess is probably not, but it's hard to say.
Old 04-18-10, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

It does not always have to be murders, they could do other crimes as well to mix it up a bit.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.