Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Another Earth (dir. Mike Cahill) s: Brit Marling

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-11, 10:46 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I honestly didn't know how to explain it in the title..so if a mod can possibly give it a short ass description for people to get a heads up..that'd be cool too...

ANYWAY...

This looks interesting...

Rhoda Williams (Marling), an astrophysics student at MIT, is driving when she sees a planet and leans out for a closer look. She hits a minivan and kills a family. She is imprisoned for four years, and upon release seeks out the widower of the family, composer John Burroughs (Mapother). The planet she saw is a mirror planet of Earth, and an essay contest is held where the winner can ride a space shuttle to visit it. Williams considers the possibility of visiting it to find out what kind of life her mirror self would have led

<object width="600" height="442"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/38969"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/38969" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="442" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 04-22-11, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Another Earth

I have to say that's a great premise for a movie but it looks like a squandered opportunity.
Old 04-22-11, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Very interesting movie would love to check it out.
Old 04-22-11, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I have to say that's a great premise for a movie but it looks like a squandered opportunity.
While it's still too early to tell.....I'm getting that same vibe as well.
Old 04-22-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many Sundance reviews I've read have mentioned that the sci-fi aspect is really just a macguffen that comprises 5% of the film, while the other 95% could be the same indie-drama premise if the "other" earth aspect were excised completely. In that light, I do hope it has more substance than "Monsters". I'll give it a shot- the concept does intrigue me as presented in the trailer's opening.
Old 04-22-11, 05:21 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This very much looks like the sci-fi stuff takes a backseat to listening to some chick talk about her feelings.
Old 04-22-11, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I am interested, although as others have mentioned, I feel the trailer is a bit misleading.
Old 04-23-11, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are tons of great science fiction novels that deal with interesting philosophical issues about the nature of self and man's relationship to the universe. But instead of using one of those, the filmmakers lift an idiotic concept for a cheesy old Gerry Anderson film.

Pass.
Old 07-22-11, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Another Earth (dir. Mike Cahill)

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/51024/another-earth/

Thus far, best movie of the year for me. The short version of my review: although there are scenes and twists that don't work, I found it wholly engaging on an emotional level from beginning to end, and I hope co-writer/star Brit Marling is going to be a huge, important talent.

I would link the trailer but I feel it gives too much away.

Instead, here is a clip. Worth noting, though, that although the story is set in motion by the appearance of "another Earth," the movie is not particularly science-fiction-y and is definitely not scientifically accurate in any way.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ycITom5kLkc?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-22-11, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
re: Another Earth (dir. Mike Cahill) s: Brit Marling

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...her-earth.html
Old 07-22-11, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Damn, I knew there was a thread somewhere and I couldn't find it...Mods merge?
Old 07-22-11, 02:18 PM

I'm sorry but this movie was awful. Just a larger budget bad film school film. Great trailer. Bad film.
Old 07-23-11, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I find the movie and plot very intriguing. I need to watch this.
Old 07-23-11, 01:39 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

opens at Landmark E Street next Friday (29th)
Old 09-05-11, 06:50 PM

I saw Another Earth a few weeks ago. The sci-fi aspect is definitely a very small part of the story.
"filmerp" mentioned it's approx. 5% of the film. That's about right, but I would say it's probably a bit less.

This is one of the movies that I need to see a second time. In the first viewing I was expecting alot
on the duplicate earth part. While it's a good story, I was a bit disapointed. When I see it again I can watch it for what it really is and will probably end up appreciating it much more
Old 09-06-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This movie is basically a drama about guilt and grief. I found the story interesting and it didn't bother me that the other earth aspect was not more prominent. It gives a thought-provoking angle to the story. Initially, I didn't care for the ending but have grown to appreciate it more upon further thought. I do not think it lived up to the very intriguing trailer, though.
Old 09-06-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is my favorite film of the year, so far. It ventures into more complex emotional territory than most films, and is a testament to how far a great script and great performances can take a film.
Old 09-06-11, 07:42 PM

i thought the emotional spirit behind the film is worth noting, and very ambitious. The execution, however, was horrendous; probably the worst film I've seen this year next to The Adjustment Bureau and Rubber. The entire film felt like a bad teenage tv series directed by Lars von Trier. Visually, the most appealing moments were the von Trier-like slow-motion exterior sequences in which we see Earth 2 in the backdrop - a moment easily visible from the movie trailer. The dialogue exchanges were filmed in Dogme-95 styled shaky-cam close-ups that literally gave no breathing room for the characters, and made them all look like horrible actors at times. Every potentially sound or worthwhile moment in this film were badly destroyed by ridiculous character outbursts that were hardly believable, or bad plot choices. This film just didn't do it for me, but I'm glad i watched it to shake off the curiosity. I know it's Mike Cahill's debut film - hopefully his next has the same spirit but better execution.
Old 09-06-11, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TheySentYou
i thought the emotional spirit behind the film is worth noting, and very ambitious. The execution, however, was horrendous; probably the worst film I've seen this year next to The Adjustment Bureau and Rubber. The entire film felt like a bad teenage tv series directed by Lars von Trier.
If only every teenage TV series was so powerfully acted and so intelligently scripted. The execution is what makes the film so exceptional - what could have been a rather cliche drama (with a gratuitous sci-fi conceit to draw in audiences) becomes an unflinching look at the consequences of our actions and of the process of grieving. No "teenage TV series" would have been as honest or as believable in its portrayal of the main characters' emotions, nor would it have given an ending with such heartbreaking implications.
Spoiler:
What that final shot seems to say is that, no matter how much she may have desperately hoped she could change things - that things could have worked out differently - in reality one cannot take back what has already been done, one cannot change the past. When she sees her double - something that pretty much confirms that events played out nearly identically on the other Earth - she realizes that she will finally have to deal with the full brunt of what she did, with no hope that somehow, somewhere things were different.
The dialogue exchanges were filmed in Dogme-95 styled shaky-cam close-ups that literally gave no breathing room for the characters, and made them all look like horrible actors at times.
I won't defend the use of shaky-cam, but I'd be surprised if I see a performance this year much better than that offered by Bret Marling. In fact, both of the lead performances were practically pitch-perfect, and no amount of shaky-cam could destroy that.
Every potentially sound or worthwhile moment in this film were badly destroyed by ridiculous character outbursts that were hardly believable, or bad plot choices.
All those outbursts, to me, seemed honest and believable, a logical progression from the dangerous emotional territory the central characters were treading.
Spoiler:
The confrontation near the end of the film was one of the most painful scenes to watch in recent memory - not because it was poorly executed (it was, in fact, perfectly acted and scripted), but because everything leading up to it had caused us to invest so much in the characters. But no matter how much we may sympathize with her, no matter how much we may have slightly justified her decision to visit her victim - we now realize that she has done an even greater harm by choosing to visit and then fall in love with the man. For a film so concerned with regret and consequences, that scene, along with the final image, serve as an essential denouement. They show us that no amount of regret can change the past, and that some mistakes are too great to be forgiven. That scene forces us to step back and to look at her character objectively (just as the final scene suggests that she will finally be forced to look at herself objectively) and realize the full harm of what she has done.

The filmmakers', much to their credit, don't back down, don't take the easy way out by justifying the characters and softening the blow. Instead they follow the actions of the main characters all the way through to their logical conclusions.

The film does have problems - as I said, I can't really defend the handheld camerawork, and it does suffer from some budgeting problems - but it's still one of the best and most powerful debut works I've come across in a long time.
Old 11-04-11, 06:38 AM

Saw this tonight and I liked it. Way more of a character drama than what one might expect from the trailer, but said drama told a pretty good story.
I kind of thought the characters (at least the male one) wasn't fleshed out enough, but a final "confrontation" had me bracing myself for an emotional hit, so well done.

Despite all the ways this would affect oceans and all that, the movie wasn't really about the other earth, but about the characters. Brit Marling was pretty great too as the lead, she has a really good presence and acting chops.

*** out of ****
Old 11-04-11, 02:05 PM

Wow, another "indie" video-verite piece of shit. I'm amazed at how many people out there in internetville like this garbage.
Old 11-04-11, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 11-04-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kind of have a feeling that this movie is like "Monsters". After struggling through the shitfest that was "Monsters" I have no desire to ever watch a movie filmed in that style ever again.
Old 12-28-11, 09:39 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just watched it, it was decent. Better than most of the other stuff I've seen this year.
Old 12-28-11, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I want to check this one out. I've heard good things from peoples' whose opinions I have similar tastes. Think I'll redbox it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.