Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Gerrard Smith of TV on the Radio, Dead

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Per MTV

TV On The Radio bassist Gerard Smith died Wednesday (April 20) at age 34 after his battle with lung cancer, the band announced on its website.

"We are very sad to announce the death of our beloved friend and bandmate, Gerard Smith, following a courageous fight against lung cancer," the band's statement reads. "Gerard passed away the morning of April 20th, 2011. We will miss him terribly."

Smith's death comes just over a month after it was announced that he was battling cancer; TV on the Radio had just completed recording sessions for their latest album, Nine Types of Light. At the time, the band said that while Smith would not be able to participate in the upcoming tour, they were hopeful that he would be able to fight the disease entirely, citing promising results from treatment and Smith's "legendarily willful disposition" as reasons for their optimistic outlook.

Smith had been in the band since 2005 and was a contributor to their third and fourth albums, the acclaimed 2006 effort Return to Cookie Mountain and 2008's Dear Science. The group has canceled its concerts for the next few days, starting Wednesday in Detroit. According to their website, the band will release more information when it becomes available.

Nine Types of Light, which has been receiving great reviews since its release last week, marks a return to action for the experimental rock group, which announced a yearlong hiatus in late 2009 in order to decompress from nearly a year on the road promoting Science.
Old 04-20-11, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Gerrard Smith of TV on the Radio, Dead

Very sad news. Their new album is fantastic. RIP.
Old 04-21-11, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Gerrard Smith of TV on the Radio, Dead

What an awful tragedy. This was also a total surprise, he just announced he was sick a few weeks ago. I don't know anything about him as a person, but I do know that TV on the Radio may have had the best rhythm section in rock today, he was an amazing bassist. I also liked that he was a deliberate non-entity on stage: back to the audience, just doing his job. IMO, I think this band is a reasonable candidate for the best band currently working in the world and he was a huge part of it. He'll be missed.