Old 04-19-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
Parenthood -- Season Finale -- "Hard Times Come Again No More" -- 4/19/11

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
By djariya at 2010-09-17

Synopsis:

Spoiler:
Sarah (Lauren Graham) and the rest of the Braverman family worry about Amber's (Mae Whitman) well-being after an accident. Meanwhile, Max 's (Max Burkholder) behavior upsets Adam (Peter Krause), and Julia (Erika Christensen) unexpectedly plays a big role in a woman's labor and delivery. Also, Kristina (Monica Potter) helps with Haddie's (Sarah Ramos) transition into womanhood and Crosby (Dax Shepard) tries to convince Jasmine (Joy Bryant) to visit his new proprerty.

Episode 22 of 22

Promo:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_RXsdmysTXU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

at last week's thread turning into a bitch fest about the show. I hope it comes back next season. I have so much respect for the creator of this show Jason Katims from his work on Friday Night Lights.
Old 04-19-11, 01:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Parenthood -- Season Finale -- "Hard Times Come Again No More" -- 4/19/11

I'm cautiously optimistic it'll return. Sad that it's already the season finale, but looking forward to it at the same time
Old 04-19-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk God

I still think this show doesn't belong in the 10pm hour. It's obviously intended to be a family-oriented drama and putting it this hour means more families are probably DVR'ing it than watching it live.

If it gets another season, I hope NBC's new President will put it at 8pm somewhere.
Old 04-19-11, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aside from the Amber storyline, I'm still enjoying this show. However, I hate what they've done to Amber the last few episodes. Like a complete 180 back to season 1. Annoying.

Looking forward to tonight.
Old 04-19-11, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this show "on the bubble"? I haven't read anywhere that it was, but I may have just missed it.
Old 04-19-11, 04:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geofferson
Sad that it's already the season finale, but looking forward to it at the same time
Same here. I like this show, so I hope it comes back.
Old 04-19-11, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping this also gets a pickup for next season as well.. and hopefully at a better timeslot.
Old 04-20-11, 01:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bravermans have huge entitlement issues, and are all better than you or me.

Sarah goes from an uneducated bartender to a Pulitzer Prize winning playwright in three episodes. Much like the actor from her play stated, it is an honor to breathe the same air as her.

Adam enjoys telling his boss where he is wrong, why he wrong, and how silly his creative process is. Then he stomps around like a bratty 13 year old when he does not get his way.

Max wants pancakes now and does not care if you die.

Julia, in addition to being a magical attorney, is also a skilled midwife. Her aura is so powerful you don't need no stinking epidural.

Zeke will kill and eat you like that dog in Nam, if you don't stop whining young lady.
Old 04-20-11, 01:13 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Sacred Heart Hospital!
Old 04-20-11, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
Aside from the Amber storyline, I'm still enjoying this show. However, I hate what they've done to Amber the last few episodes. Like a complete 180 back to season 1. Annoying.

Looking forward to tonight.
At the beginning of the season she was smoking marijuana. How is that a complete 180?
Old 04-20-11, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
At the beginning of the season she was smoking marijuana. How is that a complete 180?
Err, if you've been watching the show, it is a complete 180. Smoking some weed isn't exactly a "horrible" offense, and even then, if its what I'm thinking of, was it the time she was with her friend and then came clean with her mom the next morning? They've shown Amber to have matured, grown up, that she is incredibly intelligent, and has slowly evolved into a trustworthy person from where she began the show. Her total spurning of her dad for doing just what she is doing now, well, it now makes zero sense. They've taken the character and pissed away the past year of character development to make a "dramatic" story.

I could go on and on, but I already did in last weeks thread. All I can say new is Jesus Christ do these writers annoy the hell out of me with Max. He wants his pancakes, dammit, and he doesn't care who has to die to get them! Its slowly, what I suggested a month ago, coming to full circle. Max is going to go mental and kill the entire Braverman family! It's coming! He's already said he doesn't care who has to die to get his pancakes. Just wait, one morning he won't have his breakfast ready, and he'll grab a knife and go Psycho on the entire household. With any luck, his sister's annoying boyfriend will be in the middle of having sex, and he'll be a victim of Max's slaughterhouse too!

Seriously, what the fuck are the writers on when they write Max? They try to make Autism more "mainstream" and get attention, and yet they show Max as being worse off with Aspergers than a lot of full blown Autism cases are. And his selfish, uncaring behavior isn't Autism/Aspergers, it's being an ass who can't control himself and hasn't had the crap beat out of him to learn you don't act like a lunatic and kick and scream like a two year old. Are there a couple people out there with a form of Autism that are as insane as Max? Maybe, but its not because of the Autism, it's because they are selfish assholes who were raised horribly and learned they could always get their pancakes by kicking and screaming. I was so hoping Craig Nelson would have had enough and smacked some sense into him when he said he didn't care if Amber died, it looked like he was close. My god I truly, truly hate that character. Just awful. But like I said, the day is coming. If Max doesn't care if someone dies over pancakes, he's going to kill them all one day. Very, very, very soon. Max's Slaughterhouse: A Tale of a Max Gone Buggy!
Old 04-20-11, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was rooting for Zeke to try and slap the Aspergers out of Max, too. Max has become a catalystic crutch for these writers, and it's tiresome to watch.
Old 04-20-11, 08:54 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Patman
I was rooting for Zeke to try and slap the Aspergers out of Max, too. Max has become a catalystic crutch for these writers, and it's tiresome to watch.
Exactly. He was annoying the shit out of me.

Really glad they didn't drag out the Hospital stuff.
Old 04-20-11, 09:33 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I think Zeke is the best character in the show, by far. He told Amber what any reasonable parent would- no... should have told her... You didn't get into college? SUCK IT UP!

Everyone else has gotten more and more annoying. I'm especially sick of Sarah and her dumb-ass play. Were all the actors reading off the book... in the live performance? Really?! It was clearly a stylistic choice, which was beyond ridiculous. So she went from handing her play to the dude from Wings to rehearsals to performance in a matter of days. Who the hell is writing this shit? That should have been a progression throughout Season 3 (if it lasts) as opposed to being tacked on to an already badly-written finale.
Anger!
Old 04-20-11, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I think Zeke is the best character in the show, by far. He told Amber what any reasonable parent would- no... should have told her... You didn't get into college? SUCK IT UP!

Everyone else has gotten more and more annoying. I'm especially sick of Sarah and her dumb-ass play. Were all the actors reading off the book... in the live performance? Really?! It was clearly a stylistic choice, which was beyond ridiculous. So she went from handing her play to the dude from Wings to rehearsals to performance in a matter of days. Who the hell is writing this shit? That should have been a progression throughout Season 3 (if it lasts) as opposed to being tacked on to an already badly-written finale.
Anger!
It was said she got accepted for the reading series or some such title.
Old 04-20-11, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sarah is the messiah of playwrights. I am sure Arthur Miller wishes he were still alive to be in the same room with her.

"FUCK, i knew i should have had Biff have sex with a mailman, while Willy Loman watches and offers sardonic commentary. By the way, i really have a hankering for pancakes".
Old 04-20-11, 11:16 AM
Suspended

2.5 rating. NBC must be thrilled.
Old 04-20-11, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who were the people that the episode was dedicated to?
Old 04-20-11, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm just glad it's over so I won't be forced to watch it every week with the wife. You can tell that the creative forces behind this show are male since it hews so closely to the typical sit-com model of bumbling men and shrew-like yet magically empowered women.
Old 04-20-11, 12:00 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
2.5 rating. NBC must be thrilled.
TVLine upgraded its renewal status from "a safe bet" to "a sure thing".

http://www.tvline.com/2011/01/renewa...on-the-bubble/
Old 04-20-11, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
I still think this show doesn't belong in the 10pm hour. It's obviously intended to be a family-oriented drama and putting it this hour means more families are probably DVR'ing it than watching it live.

If it gets another season, I hope NBC's new President will put it at 8pm somewhere.
16 year olds having sex and taking drugs? Not exactly Disney material.
Old 04-20-11, 01:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I really, really like this show. But I hate overused cliches. And when Adam lost his job, I was muttering to myself, OK-but don't make his wife pregnant now. Aaargghh!
Old 04-20-11, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Flave
16 year olds having sex and taking drugs? Not exactly Disney material.
I never said this show was Disney channel material. That's shit that every family has to deal with. The show is perfectly fine for young teens to watch and as I said, I think the show would get better exposure being on earlier since most Nielsen families probably DVR their shows at 10pm than watch it live.
Old 04-20-11, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Life is cliched but why do all these straight couples need to have babies to be happy especially when they already have a kid? Now that is a sense of entitlement.
I thought the play thing was a little forced and felt it was way too quick to get a play going. I wish I could change careers like Sarah does.

Last edited by riley_dude; 04-20-11 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-20-11, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

Another show I got into late last year. I really enjoy it and sure there are some VERY cliche moments but I mean come on......There kinda has to be, it's a television series and they have to do something to keep your interest - excuse? No, it just explains why there aren't too many of these family shows around anymore (ones worth watching anyway).

Also, I think the casting was beyond top notch for this series....Peter Krause was the perfect pick as well as Craig T Nelson.

I hope it returns.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.