Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Rio

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-11, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Rio

Rio

What happens when a blue macaw, aptly named Blu (voiced by Jesse Eisenberg), thought to be the last male of the species, is brought thousands of miles to mate with a more adventurous female macaw named Jewel (Anne Hathaway)? Well, Blu was captured as a young macaw and found his way to Minnesota where he was raised by Linda, then a young girl who grew to be a bookstore owner, but in such domesticity, Blu never learned to fly. Blu and Linda's lives are interrupted by Tulio, a bird expert from Brazil, and they journey to Rio de Janiero in hopes of keeping the Macaw species going.

The remaining plotline seemed pretty light and fluffy, filled with humor that appeals to kids, so in that respect they delivered a kid-friendly movie but for a film that desperately wondered if Blu would ever soar, the film never quite takes off, though we are treated with chase scenes after chase scenes that make good use of 3D animation, but it felt like the cinematic equivalent of running in place.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 04-26-11, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Rio

I took my kids to see Rio last nights with the free passes that came on Fox BDs and DVDs. I like watching CGI animated movies. I give Rio 4 outta 5 stars. Good scenes, music and the high altitudes views were done real good. Storyline was good.

It has simular plots to other movies wrapped into one:
Spoiler:
Bolt (pet missing. owner wants to find find pet. pet wants to return to owner. two animal tied together who want to be far apart.), Toy Story 3 (friends try to rescue caged friends.), Up (bad guys's pet is mean and wants to capture what his owner wants.), The Bee Movie (only for the airport, parade float scenes.) and last The Little Mermaid (friends try to help Blu to show his affections to her but everything keeps coming out wrong, so one friend trys to sing and is terrible. the second bird shuts him up and starts singing.)
Great movie.
Old 04-26-11, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I am being dragged along to see this with the girlfriend tomorrow night. First time i will have seen an animated movie at the theater....and cannot say i am looking forward to it.
Old 04-26-11, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I am being dragged along to see this with the girlfriend tomorrow night. First time i will have seen an animated movie at the theater....and cannot say i am looking forward to it.
Way to be open-minded buddy!
Hope you don't enjoy it, like you're expecting to!

Old 04-26-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
You should'a seen AKIRA in a theater, dude. Or WICKED CITY. Or GHOST IN THE SHELL. Or, better yet...LEGEND OF THE OVERFIEND! Far cries from RIO, to say the least.
Old 04-26-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I saw Akira and Ghost in the Shell in theaters.

Akira was fun (though it was the new Pioneer dub), I fell asleep during GitS a couple times. Overfiend would be something with the right (read: not "THAT" into it) crowd.
Old 04-26-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't this pretty much the same story as Newt, the Pixar movie that was abandoned?

I guess I don't know about getting captured and whatnot, but I believe Newt was about the last male and female newts forced together to mate and prolong the species but when they meet they hate each other. I have no idea what would have happened after that.