TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Starz/Bryan Fuller Developing Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' for Series

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 11:21 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Starz/Bryan Fuller Developing Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' for Series

HBO Developing Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' for Series

HBO is developing Neil Gaiman’s novel American Gods for a potential series.

Gods, centering on the adventures of an ex-convict named Shadow, was published in June 2001 and has won the Hugo and Nebula Awards.

The project comes from Playtone, Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman’s production company, also behind The Pacific, Big Love and Band of Brothers.

The news comes just as the pay cabler is on the cusp of debuting its ambitious new fantasy drama series, Game of Thrones, based on George R.R. Martin’s bestselling books.

Gaiman is no stranger to the film and TV worlds.

His Stardust and Coraline novels were adapted into big-screen features and he produced and wrote the Robert Zemeckis-directed movie Beowulf. Gaiman’s The Graveyard Book, released in September 2008, will be adapted into a feature by Neil Jordan, who will also direct.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...merican-178726
Old 04-14-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: HBO Developing Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' for Series

Awesome.
Old 04-15-11, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I like this direction that HBO is taking. It's like what the SyFy channel would be if it didn't suck.

I wish they'd gotten The Dark Tower before Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman did.
Old 04-15-11, 09:37 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds promising.
Old 04-15-11, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

That should get the fundies all in a twist. I listened to this book on audio and thought at the time that it was perfectly paced for a film treatment -- miniseries is even better.
Old 04-15-11, 09:53 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Neil Gaiman fans should also note that he wrote an episode for the upcoming season of Doctor Who.
Old 04-15-11, 04:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I can't wait. American Gods was my favorite novel of the last decade.
Old 04-15-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Fucking great American Gods >>> the bite of a black bear
Old 04-15-11, 09:35 PM
Suspended

I wonder if they'll do the whole novel in one season? Plot it out for a multi-season arc? Do the novel as season one, then original stories for subsequent seasons? Will they do Anansi Boys in there somewhere?

So ... many ... questions!!!

I hope this really happens and doesn't languish in development hell.
Old 04-17-11, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

This is outstanding news.

HBO is great and grabbing this stuff and making it work on the small screen.
Old 06-11-11, 11:17 PM
Suspended

Tom Hanks' Playtone Productions Announces Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods,' Mattel's 'Major Matt Mason,' Green Day's 'American Idiot' (Exclusive)

Gary Goetzman talks to THR about three high-power projects ahead of "Larry Crowne's" premiere at ScreenSingapore.

SINGAPORE – Tom Hanks’ Playtone Productions is set to produce a six-season, open-ended series, American Gods, for HBO, based on Neil Gaiman’s award-winning novel, while the company’s next project, Major Matt Mason, is in talks with Robert Zemeckis to direct in 3D, Playtone partner Gary Goetzman told The Hollywood Reporter.

The series-in-development, revolving around the question “are you a god if no one believes in you?” is executive produced by Goetzman and Hanks, with Bob Richardson, and Gaiman on board as executive producer and writer.

Each of the six seasons will be of 10-12, hour-long episodes with a budget of around $35-40 million per season, targeted to debut on the cable powerhouse in 2013 at the earliest.

Rich in religious folklore that spanned millennia and featuring deities from Greek and Nordic mythology, and even the Judeo-Christian monotheistic God making an appearance, in the contemporary U.S., American Gods will be effects-heavy to do justice to the awe-inspiring power of the divine beings. “There are some crazy things in there. We’ll probably be doing more effects in there than it’s been done on a television series,” said Goetzman.

But materializing much sooner than the deities on earth series will be Playtone’s next Hanks-starring project, the toy-to-screen Major Matt Mason, in 3D.

The producers are in talks with frequent Hanks collaborator in Forrest Gump and The Polar Express, Robert Zemeckis, to direct a screenplay written by Hanks and Graham Yost for Universal.

The live-action family film about space adventure, with a tentative budget of over $100 million, is based on a Mattel action figure. It would be the second 3D production for Playtone, which produced with Imax in 2005 the documentary Magnificent Desolation: Walking on the Moon 3D, co-written, co-produced and narrated by Hanks.

After the gods and the space adventurer comes the idiot. Besides American Gods, Playtone is also developing American Idiot, a screen version of the Broadway musical adapted from Green Day’s eponymous concept album, for 2013 premiere.

Director Michael Mayer of the stage version will direct the movie, while Billie Joe Armstrong will reprise his Broadway role as St. Jimmy in the movie version. The adaptation is Playtone’s second musical after the blockbuster hit, Mamma Mia!, which grossed over $600 million worldwide.

“Mamma Mia! proved that if the musical is right, obviously it can go into the stratosphere, as far as box office gross. We’re always looking for musicals,” said Goetzman, whose company also owns the films rights of Spring Awakening, which the partners are planning to produce in an independent way.

“If we can do that, it’d be a genre that’s as respected as any produced by the studios. Maybe there will be three musicals a year, maybe five. I think that’s important otherwise we’d just have this tentpole mentality where if it’s not based on a comic book or cost $200 million, you're stacked in like pillars. We need all these genres to be respected and we need the studios not to be afraid of them,” he said.

“Studios are afraid of adult movies for a couple of years now, but I felt at the end of last year with The King’s Speech and so many films that did well, they might wake up the studios up with the fact that the adult drama can still be a viable picture to make. You can’t just cut down the film business to horror films, tentpole action, and really stupid comedies. You’ve got to do other stuff. As we know, the film business is always in a state of flux anyway, so it’s in their best interest to understand that whatever you think that’s the greatest kind of movie to make, it will change,” adds Goetzman.

Goetzman and Hanks are in Singapore for the closing night premiere of Larry Crowne at ScreenSingapore.

The comedy, which Hanks wrote, directed and starred in with his Charlie Wilson’s War co-star Julia Roberts, is the first feature film Hanks directed since 1996’s That Thing You Do! The film is scheduled for release on July 1, which serves as counter-programming to the superhero blockbuster summer season from Independence Day weekend.

“I really feel like more people are going to the movies that don’t necessarily want to see a superhero picture, and this gives them a great alternative to go to see two big movies star in a fun romantic comedy, rooted in real issues but still entertaining,’ said Goetzman.

The issues are indeed real and they certainly seem bleak – Hanks’ store staff character goes to college after he was made redundant; Roberts’ character, who became Hanks’ teacher in college, resorted to drinking, having to face crowds of ignorant and apathetic students – a premise that might seem too close to home in recession bound America.

“It’s a line that Tom had to ride in writing it that it was a subject that is in America and in many parts of the world right now, but the best way to tell a story sometimes is with humor. There’s so much humor and hope in it, and good feelings about it, he accomplished that in that it’s a story that’s rooted in reality, but still a very fun movie. Sometimes we just have to say, ‘hey, you know what? You’re gonna work it out. It’s not going to go away tomorrow, but stay out there, and be hopeful, buy a scooter!”
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...nounces-197012
Old 06-11-11, 11:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 06-12-11, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Six seasons? Wow, that's awesome.
Old 06-12-11, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Great news about American Gods.

Matt Mason? Meh.

Regarding American Idiot: everytime the stage director directs a film adaptation of the same musical, the result is a fucking disaster.
Old 06-12-11, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is great news.
Old 06-12-11, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had to reread that because I was so surprised by the 6 seasons part. HBO doesn't get enough praise for the commitment they make to great TV.
Old 06-12-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Cory02
I had to reread that because I was so surprised by the 6 seasons part. HBO doesn't get enough praise for the commitment they make to great TV.
Did they actually commit to 6 seasons upfront though, or is it just the plan to have 6 seasons, with HBO able to bail after the first?
Old 06-13-11, 03:14 PM
Suspended

ZOMG!

Neil Gaiman
And for those asking, No, 6 years of AMERICAN GODS on TV doesn't mean just the 1st book. It means I need to write the 2nd now, for a start.
https://twitter.com/#!/neilhimself/s...90403319197696
Old 06-13-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

imo, HBO is still the best at the original programming. Even shows I like on other networks can't seem to keep up (Dexter and Weeds come to mind.) This sounds cool as hell, shame it's 2 years out.
Old 06-13-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
imo, HBO is still the best at the original programming. Even shows I like on other networks can't seem to keep up (Dexter and Weeds come to mind.)
AMC has given HBO a run for its money recently, with shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead.
Old 06-13-11, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I love Gaiman, but American Gods was a bore and a half. Though I'm sure all the goth kids hanging out at the Hot Topic are stoked...
Old 06-13-11, 05:07 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by slop101
I love Gaiman, but American Gods was a bore and a half.
Sez you.
Old 06-13-11, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You must be so pleased with yourself for that stunning hyperbole!
Old 06-13-11, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
I love Gaiman, but American Gods was a bore and a half. Though I'm sure all the goth kids hanging out at the Hot Topic are stoked...
I don't see how you can say this. Besides Sandman, American Gods is my favorite thing he's written.

I know you have the right to your opinion, but this just boggles my mind.
Old 06-13-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
AMC has given HBO a run for its money recently, with shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Walking Dead.
I was going to mention AMC but I actually think Mad Men would have been a stronger show on premium cable and I'm not a fan of The Walking Dead.

Breaking Bad is currently my favorite show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.