Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Nintendo Console Announced at E3 2011 (Wii U)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

pinata242
04-14-11, 01:56 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/04/14/new-nintendo-console-at-e3.aspx

Gamers have been waiting years for Nintendo to finally release its Wii successor, and Game Informer has heard from multiple sources that the company will unveil it at E3 this summer if not sooner.

We have confirmed with multiple sources that this new home system is capable of running games at HD resolutions. There are conflicting reports, however, as to whether its graphics will be comparable to those on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 meaning it could surpass or fall short of those systems. Either way it will offer competitive specifications. Moving to HD should greatly help Nintendo and its new console in getting more multi-platform triple-A titles like Portal 2 or Mortal Kombat. This, in turn, will strengthen Nintendo's historically poor relationship with third-party publishers/developers.

In fact, Nintendo is already showing publishers the system in an effort to get them interested and allow them plenty of time to start developing titles in anticipation of the system's reported late 2012 launch. This advance support marks a change from when the Wii launched. At that time, several Western publishers were outright surprised by the announcement, and it affected the software support for the platform.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata himself acknowledged that it needs to do a better job with its publishing partners at a 3DS press conference in the fall of 2010. "We need to decrease the concern that only Nintendo software can sell well on Nintendo platforms and third-party software cannot sell in the same volume. We feel a need to have closer ties with our third-party developers from the beginning."

"Nintendo is doing this one right," said an anonymous source. "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii." What else, beyond graphics, this may infer about the system is unknown. What kind of controls the system will support (we imagine a need for both classic analog configurations and motion controllers) or what level of software and infrastructure Nintendo will provide for online gaming is also unknown. However, it's a positive sign that the system might be more than just an HD Wii.

We've heard about an HD Wii for some time now, and the time is perfect almost necessary for Nintendo to jump start itself with this new system. The company has been feeling the bite since Wii sales have declined from previous years, and this week's news that Nintendo could be dropping the price of the Wii on May 15 could be a precursor to this announcement and an attempt to move as many Wii units as possible out of the retail channel before the new system hits.

We do not have confirmation if this new system will be backward compatible with the Wii or if it will even carry the Wii branding as has often been rumored. It is our understanding that Nintendo is trying to embrace the western gamer and will likely launch a new brand with this console . Around the office we have dubbed the system Nintendo HD. However, this information at this point is conjecture.

We contacted a Nintendo representative regarding this information, and while they wouldn't comment on it or the company's E3 plans, they did sign off with a intriguing "stay tuned."

Either way, it should be an exciting E3 for Nintendo and gamers alike.

tlwizard
04-14-11, 02:13 PM
While I welcome any HD updates Nintendo can bring, that is the least of my worries when it comes to a new Nintendo console.

Are my downloaded games going to still be device locked? (And can they even be transferred to the new system?)

If I want to play with my friends online, again is my identity device-locked and even at that a hard to remember number? Can I have a handle/gamertag?

Will there be a better storage system so that I don't have to swap out SD cards to play something or have to delete and redownload to play another?

Groucho
04-14-11, 02:17 PM
It would be hilarious if they moved away from motion controls.

Michael Corvin
04-14-11, 02:18 PM
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata himself acknowledged that it needs to do a better job with its publishing partners

Hasn't that been the standard song and dance since the N64?

Dan
04-14-11, 02:23 PM
I agree with all of TLWizard's concerns. I'll probably bypass this console, though.

Rob V
04-14-11, 02:24 PM

It would be the ONLY way I even consider owning another system by Nintendo. They'd have to change so many things about the Wii for me to bite this time.

Groucho
04-14-11, 02:26 PM
It would be the ONLY way I even consider owning another system by Nintendo. They'd have to change so many things about the Wii for me to bite this time.I wish I had your resolve. Mine will last about as long as it takes for them to put out the first Mario or Zelda title. :(

Supermallet
04-14-11, 02:32 PM
If this supports all Wii and Gamecube games, and I can transfer all my digital purchases to it, I'll sell my Wii and get it. As it is my Wii has been collecting dust for years. I don't even pay attention to games announced for it anymore.

Drexl
04-14-11, 02:35 PM
Hasn't that been the standard song and dance since the N64?

Maybe, but the Gamecube got decent support - for a while.

I think the problem with the Wii's third-party support is that it was so underpowered compared to the competition. Developers couldn't make games that take advantage of the HD consoles and the PC, and then put the same stuff on the Wii. While the Wii was the best-selling console, the combined user base of the competition was bigger. If they're planning on another relative lightweight (compared to the next generation MS and Sony systems), they shouldn't be surprised if they don't get a lot of third-party support.

Noonan
04-14-11, 02:36 PM
I don't want to see them move away from it completely but, if they want to stand a chance, I think they need to move to the Sony/MS model where a normal controller is the main input type and the motion controls is a non-required ad-on. They'll never have the 3rd party support they want if they continue to require all games to use motion control.

Groucho
04-14-11, 02:37 PM
Nintendo to release their own version of achievements?

Nintendo today released tidbits on their new cross-console "Accomplishments" system. "Accomplishments allow the gamer to receive little rewards as they play, for things like completing a temple in Zelda or defeating Bowzer in Mario," explained Reggie Fils-Aime, NOA President. "And it couldn't be easier to use! When a reward is gained, a 12 digit number, unique to you, will flash on the screen. Simply call our toll free number or text it in, and within 2-3 working days the Accomplishment will be added to your account! From there, you can access your Accomplishments on the World Wide Web, where a full list can be sorted or printed out so you can show off and compare Accomplishments with your friends."

Liver&Onions
04-14-11, 02:42 PM
Groucho - source please...if you're serious groucho this post. Otherwise, congrats on a good troll!

Michael Corvin
04-14-11, 02:44 PM
:lol:

I don't want to see them move away from it completely but, if they want to stand a chance, I think they need to move to the Sony/MS model where a normal controller is the main input type and the motion controls is a non-required ad-on.

I'd like to see them go back to standard controls, but keep motion as an option. They could just make the system backwards compatible with current Wiimotes.

I wonder if this news will edge MS closer to a new console.

NiCK Crush
04-14-11, 02:51 PM
when is E3 this year?

pinata242
04-14-11, 02:55 PM
E3 is the first or second week of June.

Haven't we already heard about "Accomplishments" before? Maybe that was the name of Sony's thing before they were Trophies.

My resolve is strong like bull! Until Metroid Prime 4 :sad:

anomynous
04-14-11, 03:01 PM
Kotaku says it's supposed to be more powerful than the 360 and PS3

Well I would hope so, since by the time this new Nintendo console comes out they could be anywhere from 5-7 years old

Groucho
04-14-11, 03:03 PM
An off-the-shelf PC at Walmart is more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

Tracer Bullet
04-14-11, 03:05 PM
An off-the-shelf PC at Walmart is more powerful than the 360 and PS3.

:lol:

Noonan
04-14-11, 03:06 PM
That's not true at all. You'd need a fairly decent PC to run Crysis 2 at 1080p (and 3D in the case of the PS3). Processor speed, sure but not in terms of graphics.

Anubis2005X
04-14-11, 03:17 PM
I wish I had your resolve. Mine will last about as long as it takes for them to put out the first Mario or Zelda title. :(

Yeah, same here.

Liver&Onions
04-14-11, 03:24 PM
IGN is touting backwards compatability.

My questions to all these guys is - what the fuck? You sit quiet about things you "may know" until one person spews something, then the gates open? GI, IGN, and now Kotaku? Something doesn't seem right.

Liver&Onions
04-14-11, 03:25 PM
My anonymous sources tell me this is going to require all new TVs to have the Thunderbolt port built in, as that's what's being used to send the A/V. Also, Nintendo is branding their own TVs with said ports and built in glasses free 3D technology.

pinata242
04-14-11, 03:25 PM
Journalism!

Liver&Onions
04-14-11, 03:30 PM
someone should post that made up shit on twitter and see if it spreads too. fucking retarded.

Tracer Bullet
04-14-11, 03:35 PM
Um, what? Say what you will about the reliability of anonymous sources, Game Informer is one of the only videogame news outlets to actually bother to do real reporting.

Liver&Onions
04-14-11, 03:37 PM
Um, what? Say what you will about the reliability of anonymous sources, Game Informer is one of the only videogame news outlets to actually bother to do real reporting.

Then name names.

Supermallet
04-14-11, 03:38 PM
So has Nintendo decided that keeping prices low is no longer a priority? $250 3DS, $40 3DS games, new console more powerful than the PS3 with HD...can't imagine that going for less than $400 to start.

Liver&Onions
04-14-11, 03:40 PM
So has Nintendo decided that keeping prices low is no longer a priority? $250 3DS, $40 3DS games, new console more powerful than the PS3 with HD...can't imagine that going for less than $400 to start.

My anonymous sources say that it's actually not going to cost money, but will require a daily sacrifice of a day old chicken. With the built in camera and carbon collection system, they will be able to disable it remotely if you don't do as you're expected.

Raul3
04-14-11, 03:45 PM

It can be anywhere between $400 and $500. $450 maybe? ;)

But yeah, if they don't include a blu-ray and just get one of the most recent designs from AMD or NVIDIA it can be done under $400, I think (that's what my sources say).

Tracer Bullet
04-14-11, 03:47 PM
Then name names.

I'm not getting into a philosophical debate about anonymous sources. Suffice it to say, I highly doubt that Game Informer is simply making shit up.

pinata242
04-14-11, 03:48 PM

Then name names.

Yeah, burn those bridges!

Point is, GI is someone to be trusted. Even if none of this was coming out right now, is anyone surprised there's a new Nintendo console on the docket?

Anubis2005X
04-14-11, 03:48 PM
I wonder if they'll be pimping 3D on this thing like with 3DS. Sounds like it has the horsepower to do it...

pinata242
04-14-11, 03:49 PM
I wonder if they'll be pimping 3D on this thing like with 3DS. Sounds like it has the horsepower to do it...

As long as there's a slider on the back to disable that nonsense.

Liver&Onions
04-14-11, 03:51 PM
Yeah, burn those bridges!

Point is, GI is someone to be trusted. Even if none of this was coming out right now, is anyone surprised there's a new Nintendo console on the docket?

Oh, I do trust GI on this - but it's the "Me Toos" that drive me crazy.

pinata242
04-14-11, 03:54 PM
Oh, that's fine. Then call out the "Me Toos" and not the original breaker of the story, whom (as far as I can tell) was GI.

Though it's certainly possible other people have other <s>enough</s> info (wtf, self?) they were sitting on and took this opportunity to get a piece of the traffic pie while also not naming names.

Or are you just pushing your sour grapes on us?

Groucho
04-14-11, 03:57 PM
Oh, I do trust GI on this - but it's the "Me Toos" that drive me crazy.:thumbsup: I agree.

Supermallet
04-14-11, 03:57 PM
Groucho promised me exclusive news about the new Nintendo system if I slept with him, but afterwards he just ate my tuna club sandwich and left. :(

pinata242
04-14-11, 03:58 PM
he just ate my tuna club sandwich

Is that a euphemism?

Tracer Bullet
Oh, I do trust GI on this - but it's the "Me Toos" that drive me crazy.

Ah, okay. That wasn't clear.

Personally I wouldn't trust Kotaku if they told me my own social security number.

Groucho
Groucho promised me exclusive news about the new Nintendo system if I slept with him, but afterwards he just ate my tuna club sandwich and left. :(Mary Todd, is that you?

Supermallet
04-14-11, 03:59 PM
Yes. The Chinese ban on Time Travel doesn't apply to first ladies!

TheBigDave
04-14-11, 04:02 PM
I don't want to see them move away from it completely but, if they want to stand a chance, I think they need to move to the Sony/MS model where a normal controller is the main input type and the motion controls is a non-required ad-on. They'll never have the 3rd party support they want if they continue to require all games to use motion control.

+1

I'm gonna pass on this if some stupid motion thing is the primary controller. The motion stuff is great for party/exercise/dance games. But it completely ruins any serious games.

If they bring back the standard controller, and leave the motion junk for niche games, I'm in.

Supermallet
04-14-11, 04:03 PM
Also, if they do go with motion control, then for fuck's sake make it 1:1 from the start. Don't sell the system and then say "Oh wait, we just made it even better...for $20 per controller."

Liver&Onions
04-14-11, 04:03 PM
IGN is touting backwards compatibility.

My questions to all these guys is - what the fuck? You sit quiet about things you "may know" until one person spews something, then the gates open? GI, IGN, and now Kotaku? Something doesn't seem right.

Then call out the "Me Toos" and not the original breaker of the story, whom (as far as I can tell) was GI.

Like I said - I trust GI on this. Just like I trust that the announcement is going to be at E3 (this from my anonymous sources, and totally serious.)

pinata242
04-14-11, 04:08 PM
You say that bolded part, but then the first site you mention is GI. Don't act like it was clear that you weren't lumping them all together.

Liver&Onions
04-14-11, 04:09 PM
You say that bolded part, but then the first site you mention is GI. Don't act like it was clear that you weren't lumping them all together.

Because it was the order I heard the releases.

Raul3
04-14-11, 04:13 PM
So, did GI broke some kind of NDA?

Imagine if they actually have everything ready, and are going to release it this holiday season.

Liver&Onions
04-14-11, 04:13 PM

Nope.

Deftones
04-14-11, 05:28 PM

Imagine if they actually have everything ready, and are going to release it this holiday season.

no way it comes out this year.

I say I won't be interested in this but then they'll announce a Zelda game or a new Mario game and I'll jump on it. I hardly ever use my wii. Only, basically, for Zelda or Mario games. That's why it's a tough sell for me to jump on a new system like this.

fumanstan
04-14-11, 05:49 PM
Cool, I plan on going to E3 so it'll be nice to have something new.

Anubis2005X
04-14-11, 06:10 PM
Cool, I plan on going to E3 so it'll be nice to have something new.

Act disinterested so that they don't jack the price up like they did for the 3DS...

Fandango
04-14-11, 06:28 PM
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6194

Nintendo are said to be looking at turning the fortunes of their home console business around and are set to announce the successor to their massively successful Wii home console at E3. Sources have revealed to Blu-ray.com that Nintendo are looking at including Blu-ray as the main optical drive. This would be a natural progression from the Wii which uses DVD, but it isn't clear if Nintendo would enable BD movie playback on the new console or whether they would just use it for data as they do with DVD on the Wii. This new device could be the internal successor to the Blu-ray enabled Wii that was rumored for release in 2010.

pinata242
04-14-11, 06:30 PM
Obvious. If they enable movie support, I would count that as a plus in my checklist.

Supermallet
04-14-11, 06:46 PM
Not making the Wii a DVD player was fine, since low cost DVD players can be had anywhere. Not making the new system a Blu-ray player would be a bad move, as Blu-ray is still at a relative premium.

So, my question is, who will Nintendo be marketing this to? The reason the Wii was such a success was because it successfully tapped into the casual gaming market. What are they going to do to pull people in if they're going for something at the level of a PS3?

Fandango
04-14-11, 06:51 PM
I seriously doubt they would enable movie playback if they did use blu-ray. There would be no benefit to them in doing so.

Supermallet
04-14-11, 06:55 PM
Maybe the plan is to drop the price on the Wii and continue to sell that for casual gamers, while making this for the hardcore market.

LosingMyMind
04-14-11, 07:09 PM
Nintendo has some GREAT features to announce for this console. You're all in for a real treat.

NiCK Crush
04-14-11, 07:11 PM
Blu-ray is a possibility? Hell yea.

Deftones
04-14-11, 07:13 PM
There is absolutely no reason to put a blu-ray drive and not enable movie watching capability. If by chance Nintendo did, I probably wouldn't buy it out of principle.

bluetoast
04-14-11, 07:35 PM
Maybe the plan is to drop the price on the Wii and continue to sell that for casual gamers, while making this for the hardcore market.

This sounds like what their plan was for the GBA and the DS when the DS was first introduced. Or what they claimed their plan was, just in case the DS didn't take off...and when it did, progressively less support for GBA. I can see this as a possibility, although I would guess that they would make more of an attempt at compatibility with the Wii.

Mazje
04-14-11, 07:36 PM
There is absolutely no reason to put a blu-ray drive and not enable movie watching capability. If by chance Nintendo did, I probably wouldn't buy it out of principle.

Agreed.

mhg83
04-14-11, 08:02 PM

This. I mean how much more would it cost to enable playback? I dont think it would cost much if none at all. What was the reasoning behind not enabling dvd playback on wii?

slop101
04-14-11, 08:07 PM
My, um, sources revealed that it will be a 3D system with glasses that enable 3D video games on normal HDTVs. Prove me wrong!

Groucho
04-14-11, 08:14 PM
What was the reasoning behind not enabling dvd playback on wii?The same reason Nintendo didn't incorporate any other common sense features: because other console makers did it first.

Fandango
04-14-11, 08:22 PM
Nintendo has some GREAT features to announce for this console. You're all in for a real treat.

You have inside info or something?
As for them not enabling movie playback, Nintendo does not want to pay the licensing fees.

Michael Corvin
04-14-11, 08:44 PM
So if the Wii was two Gamecubes duct taped together what does that make this thing? 2 Wii's? 4 Gamecubes? 2 Gamecubes, a Wii and a Virtual Boy duct taped together?

And remember when everyone was certain Nintendo had 10+ million Wii's sitting in warehouses for launch? rotfl

This. I mean how much more would it cost to enable playback? I dont think it would cost much if none at all. What was the reasoning behind not enabling dvd playback on wii?

As for them not enabling movie playback, Nintendo does not want to pay the licensing fees.

Ding. Ding. Ding. For every console sold they have to pay a licensing fee to the DVD consortium. If the new console has BD they would have to do the same. So for every Wii2 sold, they would be paying Sony(and others) a fee.

Since BD hasn't exactly lit the world on fire, I expect it will be locked down for data only and no playback. Why pay Sony even a small amount for every sale?

Rob V
04-14-11, 08:59 PM
Blu-ray is a possibility? Hell yea.

Ok, my interest is officially piqued.

pinata242
04-14-11, 09:03 PM
So there's no fee to license BD from Sony for data purposes?

Maybe Sony isn't stupid and realizes that the Wii made a significant dent in casual gaming penetration and, while unorthodox, subsidizing Nintendo's effort to keep those customers with Wii-HD will help proliferate royalties on media and increase attach rates. I could see Sony working with Nintendo to make that happen.

Michael Corvin
04-14-11, 09:33 PM
So there's no fee to license BD from Sony for data purposes?

That's my understanding from back when the Wii was launched(in regards to DVD).

kstublen
04-14-11, 09:52 PM
I've been a Nintendo fan since I was old enough to play video games. I got a Wii the first day it came out, not because of the novelty of the motion controls, but because of The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess and knowing we'd be getting new Nintendo games. I never really cared about third-party on Nintendo; just give me quality Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Metroid games and I'm a satisfied customer. To that end, Nintendo has more than delivered for me on the Wii and I know I'll eventually pick up whatever console they offer next, provided they release more of their first-party titles.

dsa_shea
04-14-11, 10:48 PM
I seriously doubt they would enable movie playback if they did use blu-ray. There would be no benefit to them in doing so.

An added selling feature is benefit enough.

pinata242
04-14-11, 10:51 PM
As had been said, when the Wii came out, DVD was 14 years old and very widespread.

Blu-Ray will only be 6 years old when this console launches and is still struggling to break through.

Makes sense to me as a bullet point to me.

anomynous
04-14-11, 11:06 PM
BD =/= Sony

pinata242
04-14-11, 11:13 PM
BD =/= Sony

Does Sony benefit if Nintendo adopts BD?

Michael Corvin
04-14-11, 11:48 PM
BD =/= Sony

No, but they are one of many that gets a piece of the pie if Nintendo or MS adopted BD.

Fandango
04-14-11, 11:55 PM
Nintendo has no stake in whether bluray succeeds or not. That being said they could do something similar to what the original Xbox had, a DVD playback kit you buy.

Nintendo's 6th Console @ E3; 1080P Full HD output, *way* more powerful than PS3, Controller has built in HD Touchscreen.

al_bundy
04-15-11, 07:35 AM
Does Sony benefit if Nintendo adopts BD?

i believe toshiba owns more BD patents than Sony. BD is a corporation that hundreds of companies created and pooled their patents. you want to make a player you pay royalites. same with discs. the royalties go back to the member companies

al_bundy
04-15-11, 07:37 AM
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=6194

Nintendo are said to be looking at turning the fortunes of their home console business around and are set to announce the successor to their massively successful Wii home console at E3. Sources have revealed to Blu-ray.com that Nintendo are looking at including Blu-ray as the main optical drive. This would be a natural progression from the Wii which uses DVD, but it isn't clear if Nintendo would enable BD movie playback on the new console or whether they would just use it for data as they do with DVD on the Wii. This new device could be the internal successor to the Blu-ray enabled Wii that was rumored for release in 2010.

i bet the decision was made a long time ago since by now the devs would have to be in QA with games to be released at launch

Michael Corvin
04-15-11, 07:51 AM
i believe toshiba owns more BD patents than Sony. BD is a corporation that hundreds of companies created and pooled their patents. you want to make a player you pay royalites. same with discs. the royalties go back to the member companies

I don't know about "hundreds" of companies. According to wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association)there are 9 original founders, 19 board member companies and about 60 contributers.

PerryD
04-15-11, 08:08 AM
I don't know about "hundreds" of companies. According to wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association)there are 9 original founders, 19 board member companies and about 60 contributers.
None of whom were Toshiba who was backing HD-DVD.

pinata242
04-15-11, 08:46 AM
Controller has built in HD Touchscreen.

This rumor intrigues the shit out of me. I can see a multitude of practical uses for this thing. Maybe that's because I'm coming from a childhood fueled by the Intellivsion, but just having each game display unique, custom touch-control schemes is really cool.

Even better, imagine if the display could keep up with its game, we could see the resurgence of Pac-Man Vs.!

Anubis2005X
04-15-11, 09:07 AM
None of whom were Toshiba who was backing HD-DVD.

This. For a time, Toshiba was so bitter and butthurt about Blu-ray killing HD-DVD that they started pimping regular upconverting DVD players instead of going ahead and actually making Blu-ray players.

orangecrush
04-15-11, 09:08 AM
If this supports all Wii and Gamecube games, and I can transfer all my digital purchases to it, I'll sell my Wii and get it. As it is my Wii has been collecting dust for years. I don't even pay attention to games announced for it anymore.Why would you care if you can play games on a new system you don't play now?

Anubis2005X
04-15-11, 09:09 AM
Controller has built in HD Touchscreen.

Would be cool, but I'm skeptical. The controllers would be expensive as hell, no?

Osiris3657
04-15-11, 09:13 AM
why do you guys care if it's blu ray compatible when you all own blu ray players (or use the PS3)

pinata242
04-15-11, 09:22 AM
why do you guys care if it's blu ray compatible when you all own blu ray players (or use the PS3)

Why do you care why we care? But since you asked in such a nice way, I'll answer. I have one (1) Blu-Ray player and I would like more. Bonus is if any device is multi-purpose.

Michael Corvin
04-15-11, 09:33 AM
I'll play... my PS3 just died, it would have been nice if one of my other systems was BD capable.

orangecrush
04-15-11, 09:35 AM
Why do you care why we care? But since you asked in such a nice way, I'll answer. I have one (1) Blu-Ray player and I would like more. Bonus is if any device is multi-purpose.I would like it as a feature, but I don't know if Nintendo would make a good UI for a player. How do you like the MP3 player on the DSi?

pinata242
04-15-11, 09:36 AM
I don't have a DSi. I don't think they need to rely on a custom UI since all that info is contained on the disc. They'd just need to make sure they could interact with it properly. If they use Wiimote-like pointer technology, it should be no different than using a mouse on a computer.

Osiris3657
04-15-11, 10:04 AM
Why do you care why we care? But since you asked in such a nice way, I'll answer. I have one (1) Blu-Ray player and I would like more. Bonus is if any device is multi-purpose.

someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I was just asking, no need to get your panties in a twist

maxfisher
04-15-11, 11:48 AM
I'll go ahead and predict E3 will also see an announcement that The Legend of Zelda: The Skyward Sword is being delayed until Q3 2012 so that it can be released simultaneously for Wii and NHD.

Fandango
04-15-11, 11:49 AM
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/298348/news/wii-2-is-project-caf-says-report-tech-specs-controller-details-claimed/

It says the console will include a custom IBM PowerPC CPU with three cores, a GPU from the ATI R700 family with a shader unit at version 4.1, and at least 512Mb of RAM.

The controller has a six-inch touch screen, a front-facing camera, D-Pad, two bumpers, two triggers and "possibly more," and can allegedly be used as a Wii sensor bar.

Mok
04-15-11, 12:03 PM
Next-Gen has become the latest site to add to the Wii 2 rumor mill. According to them, sources have revealed to them that the likes of EA, Ubisoft and Activision have all had Wii 2 development units for MONTHS. Moreover, they confirm that the system RETAINS motion control which is allegedly 'better than Move'. So bringing everything together, it looks like we have a more powerful PS3/360 console, complete with more advanced more motion sensing. Something tells us Nintendo is more innovative than this and there is more to be revealed.

http://www.maxconsole.net/content.php?45686

Anubis2005X
04-15-11, 12:14 PM
Are all these sites just making crap up?

EDIT: Then again, having a screen on the controller could basically be Nintendo "DS-ing" their next console. Interesting...

Deftones
04-15-11, 12:23 PM
touchscreen controller is intriguing, but i don't see how they could do that cost effectively. maybe i'm wrong, but seems like the cost of that kind of controller will be prohibitively expensive. plus, the durability is also a concern. my kid loves to play with controllers when I'm playing a game. i'd hate for him to pick it up break it.

orangecrush
04-15-11, 12:56 PM
I don't have a DSi. I don't think they need to rely on a custom UI since all that info is contained on the disc. They'd just need to make sure they could interact with it properly. If they use Wiimote-like pointer technology, it should be no different than using a mouse on a computer.I don't have one either, but by all accounts it is kind of crappy. Their web browser on the wii sucks. I am just a little apprehensive with Nintendo doing something other than focusing on video games exclusively. I imagine with them, they will go blu if it is only slightly more expensive than DVD.
The controller has a six-inch touch screen, a front-facing camera, D-Pad, two bumpers, two triggers and "possibly more," and can allegedly be used as a Wii sensor bar.I am going to call shenanigans on this one. A six inch touch screen would be huge and prohibitively expensive. Nintendo is all about profitability.

Drexl
04-15-11, 04:00 PM
Maybe I'm sounding like a cranky old man again, but if they actually replace buttons on the controller with a touchscreen, I want no part of it. Touchscreens are okay for pocket-sized devices where space is at a premium, and when you're looking directly at the touchscreen so you can see what you're pressing at all times, but it won't work well for a controller since your eyes are focused on the TV screen. I would also really miss the tactility of pushing buttons; that's something I feel is part of gaming.

bluetoast
04-15-11, 04:13 PM
Personal screen for your controller is something I've been wanting for years, and to make it a touch screen is a great idea. Dreamcast had the 100% right idea with the VMUs, but were cut short.

With these personal screens, you can supplement the gameplay, de-clutter the screen for one player games, and make private decisions (like for NFL play calling, playing board/trivia games, password entry) with others doing in the room with their own screens.

But using it to replace actual controller buttons? I would be hesitant about that, but as a supplement, I welcome this.

pinata242
04-15-11, 04:16 PM
I love that no one knows anything official and yet we still find things to add to the features and bitch about.

It's an HD Nintendo console, lads! One that has been developed with the benefit of knowledge of success and failures, both by Nintendo and their competitors.

Quack
04-15-11, 04:26 PM
It's up to the #1 trending topic on Yahoo.

orangecrush
04-15-11, 04:29 PM
Maybe I'm sounding like a cranky old man again, but if they actually replace buttons on the controller with a touchscreen, I want no part of it. Touchscreens are okay for pocket-sized devices where space is at a premium, and when you're looking directly at the touchscreen so you can see what you're pressing at all times, but it won't work well for a controller since your eyes are focused on the TV screen. I would also really miss the tactility of pushing buttons; that's something I feel is part of gaming.This is the reason that the Gamecube controller is still my favorite. It works so well to have the base of my thumb on the A button and roll it to the A, X or Y.

thelwig14
04-15-11, 04:31 PM
With the downloadable games tied to a system and not owner, what is the most logical way for Nintendo to allow the owners to redownload those games to the Wii2?

Supermallet
04-15-11, 04:42 PM
The most logical way is to not allow it, forcing the user to rebuy them.

thelwig14
04-15-11, 04:50 PM
The most logical way is to not allow it, forcing the user to rebuy them.

Helpful.

Liver&Onions
04-15-11, 05:05 PM
The mods around here truly are the worst on the internet.

Supermallet
04-15-11, 05:07 PM
We have a reputation to maintain, after all.

atxbomber
04-15-11, 06:06 PM
With the downloadable games tied to a system and not owner, what is the most logical way for Nintendo to allow the owners to redownload those games to the Wii2?

I was wondering about that too. You can save and launch your WiiWare and VC games off a SD card, so theoretically they could implement some way to copy/move them to the new console. I know my club.nintendo account has a record of all the stuff I've bought off the Wii Shop, so they could maybe figure something out through there too (though I wouldn't hold me breathe).

thelwig14
04-15-11, 07:31 PM
I was wondering about that too. You can save and launch your WiiWare and VC games off a SD card, so theoretically they could implement some way to copy/move them to the new console. I know my club.nintendo account has a record of all the stuff I've bought off the Wii Shop, so they could maybe figure something out through there too (though I wouldn't hold me breathe).

I am not expecting anything, but if they do decide on doing something, I think the SD card/Nintendo Club are probably the only ways that make any sense.

Michael Corvin
04-15-11, 07:53 PM
The mods around here truly are the worst on the internet.

rotfl

Sonny Corinthos
04-15-11, 08:45 PM
This will be the first Nintendo console I won't be buying. I couldn't tell you the last time i've played the Wii. Plus, i'm sure they will be rehashing all of their older titles by putting an HD in the title.

mhg83
04-15-11, 08:52 PM
This will be the first Nintendo console I won't be buying. I couldn't tell you the last time i've played the Wii. Plus, i'm sure they will be rehashing all of their older titles by putting an HD in the title.

I remember reading about some hacker/modder emulated the wii in hd. All it really did was upconvert the existing games to 720p. I'm assuming the new wii hd if if has backwards compatibility will do the same thing...

Match
04-15-11, 10:11 PM
BD =/= Sony

Nintendo and Sony:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation#Origins

darkside
04-15-11, 10:22 PM

I have to agree. I was one of Nintendo's biggest fans at one time, but they burned me so bad on the Wii that I may never buy another console from them. The Wii is the single worst console I have ever owned and I own a 3DO.

kstublen
04-15-11, 10:48 PM
I have to agree. I was one of Nintendo's biggest fans at one time, but they burned me so bad on the Wii that I may never buy another console from them. The Wii is the single worst console I have ever owned and I own a 3DO.

Then you don't have your expectations in check when it comes to Nintendo.

Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Paper Mario, Mario Kart Wii, The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl were all great games. The Wii Sports and Wii Play were enjoyable enough as well; and I liked Mad World also.

My point is that when it comes to Nintendo, if they deliver quality games with Mario, Link, Samus, Donkey Kong, and Kirby, I'm perfectly happy. I'm interested as to how "they burned you so bad on the Wii."

Supermallet
04-15-11, 11:27 PM
They forced him to buy it, then delivered high quality first party titles. Those bastards!

darkside
04-16-11, 06:28 PM
My point is that when it comes to Nintendo, if they deliver quality games with Mario, Link, Samus, Donkey Kong, and Kirby, I'm perfectly happy. I'm interested as to how "they burned you so bad on the Wii."
The Wii is 99% garbage with a few great titles sprinkled in and almost all of it 1st party. There was little quality 3rd party software I enjoyed playing.

I did pick up and enjoy 8-10 Wii games in the entire time I owned it. Kirby was great last year and I enjoyed quirky stuff like Endless Ocean 2, but overall there just weren't many games that made it worth owning for me. I'm not saying it didn't have any good games, but when you compare it to the number of games I enjoyed on the 360 it made owning a Wii pretty pointless. I tried my best to support WiiWare and Virtual Console, but Nintendo has done everything possible to make those two services worthless as well.

So the console wasn't a complete dud, but playing it for a 2 week stretch every 4-5 months when something good finally came out wasn't enough for me. Also, motion controls flat out suck. I would say the vast majority of games I played with motion controls were a worse experience for it. When the fundamental mechanic your console is built on is a failure, that pretty much sums up your console. There is a reason even Nintendo went back to making most of their games with the Wiimote sideways as a NES pad. They figured out that their control scheme didn't work for most games.

And no Nintendo didn't force me to buy it. I bought into the hype when it came out based on the expectations and my love of Nintendo. It didn't pan out for me and that is fine, but it will definitely make me very cautious about buying into their next console.

pinata242
04-16-11, 06:35 PM
:clap:

My sentiments exactly. I hope this next console is something I can fall in love with. If I can bring forward my VC titles, I'd be in heaven. DQX compatibility too? Yes, PLEASE!

Supermallet
04-16-11, 06:48 PM
I don't disagree with darkside's summation of the Wii, but I don't see how that equates to "Nintendo burned me." Nintendo said from day one that they were going after the casual gaming market.

zekeburger1979
04-16-11, 10:44 PM
I wonder if the controller could be like the HTC Evo Shift where the keyboard slides out? You could use the touchscreen or buttons to play the game.

For example, in Madden 13/14, you would use the touchscreen to choose your play, slide out the keyboard and use the buttons to run the play.

orangecrush
04-18-11, 09:26 AM
The Wii is 99% garbage with a few great titles sprinkled in and almost all of it 1st party. There was little quality 3rd party software I enjoyed playing.

I did pick up and enjoy 8-10 Wii games in the entire time I owned it. Kirby was great last year and I enjoyed quirky stuff like Endless Ocean 2, but overall there just weren't many games that made it worth owning for me. I'm not saying it didn't have any good games, but when you compare it to the number of games I enjoyed on the 360 it made owning a Wii pretty pointless. I tried my best to support WiiWare and Virtual Console, but Nintendo has done everything possible to make those two services worthless as well.

So the console wasn't a complete dud, but playing it for a 2 week stretch every 4-5 months when something good finally came out wasn't enough for me. Also, motion controls flat out suck. I would say the vast majority of games I played with motion controls were a worse experience for it. When the fundamental mechanic your console is built on is a failure, that pretty much sums up your console. There is a reason even Nintendo went back to making most of their games with the Wiimote sideways as a NES pad. They figured out that their control scheme didn't work for most games.

And no Nintendo didn't force me to buy it. I bought into the hype when it came out based on the expectations and my love of Nintendo. It didn't pan out for me and that is fine, but it will definitely make me very cautious about buying into their next console.I am a HUGE Nintendo fan and I find myself playing the 360 over the Wii on an order of about 20:1. That said, I never paid attention to the crap released for a system (by that measure, the PS2 isn't very good as it had a high % of shovelware). My general measure of if a system is good is if at the end of its life there were 20-30 games that were well worth owning and playing. The Wii easily meets this standard for me. It also has a number of pluses over the 360 in my book (built in Wi-Fi, <50% failure rate, small form factor). Personally, I think the 360 and PS3 are just so much better than the prior generation w/ online integration, DLC, large hard drives and sheer number of great games that the Wii is overshadowed by them. On its own merits, the Wii is a good upgrade from the Gamecube.

Drexl
04-18-11, 09:43 AM
At this point, before you buy a Nintendo console I think you have to ask yourself if you would be satisfied if you could only buy games from Nintendo to play on it. Any third-party titles would be bonuses.

pinata242
04-18-11, 09:44 AM
Yup. I would think that Metroid Prime 4 would be enough for me, but only if the money I spent on VC carries forward. I don't want to leave those games behind and I won't have the Wii hooked up just for them if I have this new console.

Anubis2005X
04-18-11, 09:49 AM
Personally, I think the 360 and PS3 are just so much better than the prior generation...

Agree with you there. LOVE my PS3 (and my backlog is ridiculous)...

orangecrush
04-18-11, 10:48 AM
Yup. I would think that Metroid Prime 4 would be enough for me, but only if the money I spent on VC carries forward. I don't want to leave those games behind and I won't have the Wii hooked up just for them if I have this new console.I am currious as to how each company will handle this. I have almost 100 GB of XBLA, indie games and DLC on the 360 and would be disapointed if none of it was going to work on their new console.

Anubis2005X
04-18-11, 10:51 AM
I am currious as to how each company will handle this. I have almost 100 GB of XBLA, indie games and DLC on the 360 and would be disapointed if none of it was going to work on their new console.

At this point, it would be a complete shock to me if everything didn't carry over.

pinata242
04-18-11, 11:04 AM
I have no doubt that it's a core design rule at this point. No way will Microsoft or Sony leave people behind with XBLA or PSN. WiiWare, I would hope, would follow suit but we already know how Nintendo "handled" it within the same generation.

Drexl
04-18-11, 01:13 PM
Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens. With games, it's obviously going to depend on whether the next systems are backwards compatible or not. Videos, however, could be carried over, but Sony won't even allow you to download movies a second time as it is now.

Of course, you'll be locked in to the same console manufacturer. This is one reason why I have stayed away from buying videos through a console-specific service. I don't have allegiance to one console and may want to switch next time. I've been okay with games because they are locked to a console by design.

Then there's Rock Band. Will the next generation versions of the game be able to work with the current songs? My guess is that they will, but again, you will have to keep the same console company for your old songs to work. But, as with the current DLC and the pro stuff requiring RB3, the game will evolve further and DLC after a certain point will require next-gen RB. Some older songs will get updated, and some won't.

orangecrush
04-18-11, 01:48 PM
Yes, it will be interesting to see what happens. With games, it's obviously going to depend on whether the next systems are backwards compatible or not. Videos, however, could be carried over, but Sony won't even allow you to download movies a second time as it is now.

Of course, you'll be locked in to the same console manufacturer. This is one reason why I have stayed away from buying videos through a console-specific service. I don't have allegiance to one console and may want to switch next time. I've been okay with games because they are locked to a console by design.

Then there's Rock Band. Will the next generation versions of the game be able to work with the current songs? My guess is that they will, but again, you will have to keep the same console company for your old songs to work. But, as with the current DLC and the pro stuff requiring RB3, the game will evolve further and DLC after a certain point will require next-gen RB. Some older songs will get updated, and some won't.Sadly, I wouldn't even assume there will be a next-gen Rock Band.

Rob V
04-18-11, 01:53 PM
The biggest question Nintendo has to answer is: what is my target market? Didn't most of the kids and grandparents just get a Wii in the last 3-4 years? I'd classify them as the peripheral market share that helped Nintendo achieve success this generation. Going forward, do you think grandma is going to get the Wii 2 (or whatever it's called)? No way. Same with the young kids... I'm not buying this for them when they could care less if a game is 16 bit or 480i or 1080p.

So then I ask... is this system for me? I already have (3) PS3's for BD and (2) 360's. Why do I need this system? Aside from a few 1st party games, why would you buy this console?

al_bundy
04-18-11, 01:56 PM
the target market are the people that play mario, zelda and all the other first party games. that's how Nintendo always made the most money before. sell the console with the weakest hardware at a price where you make money on the console and develop a lot of first party games for it

Rob V
04-18-11, 02:10 PM
sell the console with the weakest hardware at a price where you make money on the console and develop a lot of first party games for it

This version doesn't sound like the ultra cost effective model like the Wii is. Based on the rumors, I can't see this thing being under $400 and maybe more if those rumors about the controller touch screen are true.

Michael Corvin
04-18-11, 02:22 PM
Also the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2.

al_bundy
04-18-11, 02:35 PM
ok, that was the wii strategy. but the first party games have always been huge money makers for nintendo

the wii was very successful but lately with the PS3 being a home entertainment device and the x-box selling due to the wii it seems to be between a rock and a hard place. unless your kids or you really want to play mario you just buy a PS3 or x-box and use it as your blu ray/dvd player/ netflix streaming/gaming and whatever else all in one box

Noonan
04-18-11, 02:36 PM
ok, that was the wii strategy. but the first party games have always been huge money makers for nintendo

the wii was very successful but lately with the PS3 being a home entertainment device and the x-box selling due to the wii it seems to be between a rock and a hard place. unless your kids or you really want to play mario you just buy a PS3 or x-box and use it as your blu ray/dvd player/ netflix streaming/gaming and whatever else all in one box
Yup. We've reached a point where a gaming system can't really be just a gaming system anymore. People like us would still be interested but not the masses.

Michael Corvin
04-18-11, 02:41 PM
the wii was very successful but lately with the PS3 being a home entertainment device and the x-box selling due to the wii it seems to be between a rock and a hard place.

:hscratch: Huh?

Drexl
04-18-11, 02:55 PM
While we're on the topic of the next generation, I hope MS doesn't make the hard drive proprietary next time. The price of a SSD upgrade is going to be reasonable before too long, but I expect the base units will still have mechanical drives to keep the cost down.

Then again, I suppose MS can just brand a SSD and call it the "Turbo" version. :rolleyes:

Michael Corvin
04-18-11, 03:04 PM
I would imagine they'll stick with proprietary. Ship with a default amount built in(instead of no drive like this gen) but premium users can upgrade.

al_bundy
04-18-11, 03:13 PM
:hscratch: Huh?

ever since the PS3 slim and kinect came out the wii hasn't sold as well as the other consoles. it sold better a few years ago

pinata242
04-18-11, 03:18 PM
Maybe that's because everyone bought one already? There's no benefit for multiple Wiis in the house, unlike Xboxes and PS3s.

Michael Corvin
04-18-11, 03:19 PM
Unrelated. The xbox has sold consistently for 5 years. The decline in Wii sales is because everyone already has one. Not only that, what major game have they released since Kinect and Move came out? Donkey Kong Country Returns? Epic Mickey? Anything else?

Noonan
04-18-11, 03:21 PM
I think it was more that the fad of playing Wii Sports wore off and non-gamers stopped buying them. Then they stopped releasing high quality titles and gamers stopped buying them too. Have there been any recent titles worth having other than DK Country?

glassdragon
04-18-11, 03:31 PM
I would personally love to see Nintendo close down the console division and focus on 3rd party titles for the 360 and ps3 ala sega. Could you imagine mario, zelda, or metroid on the ps3 and 360?

Michael Corvin
04-18-11, 03:32 PM
What's recent? Kirby came out last fall to rave reviews, but I can't recall a single game from 2011.

Liver&Onions
04-18-11, 03:33 PM
Unrelated. The xbox has sold consistently for 5 years. The decline in Wii sales is because everyone already has one. Not only that, what major game have they released since Kinect and Move came out? Donkey Kong Country Returns? Epic Mickey? Anything else?

Conduit 2 !

Michael Corvin
04-18-11, 03:34 PM
Imagine F-Zero and WaveRace in HD! :drool: Even Pikmin with realistic gardens would be amazing.

Three forgotten franchises this gen. I do hope they rectify that with the new console.

pinata242
04-18-11, 03:41 PM
It's important to note that only Microsoft (AFAIK) releases monthly NPD numbers since they changed their rules. They're still seeing year-over-year growth in the market. Not only are Xboxes still selling, they're increasing. That, I'm sure, is due to equal parts Kinect, Sexbox, additional unit, and failure replacement.

I technically own three myself.

Anubis2005X
04-18-11, 04:04 PM
Personally I'd like to see Nintendo create some new franchises already...

orangecrush
04-19-11, 08:32 AM
Personally I'd like to see Nintendo create some new franchises already...Nintendogs and Wii Sports say hello ;)

orangecrush
04-19-11, 08:33 AM
Maybe that's because everyone bought one already? There's no benefit for multiple Wiis in the house, unlike Xboxes and PS3s.We use our broken Wii to stream netflix to our SD TV.

pinata242
04-19-11, 08:47 AM
We use our broken Wii to stream netflix to our SD TV.

:lol: I moved mine to my daughter's room for the same reason and hoping she'd play some of the VC games I have on there ;)

orangecrush
04-19-11, 08:54 AM
:lol: I moved mine to my daughter's room for the same reason and hoping she'd play some of the VC games I have on there ;)Your kid has a TV in her room -eek- You are a much cooler dad than I am. If we let our son have a TV in his room w/ Netflix, he would never leave...(rethinking no tv in room stance).

I learned not to buy VC games before we got the Wii due to their DRM restrictions. It is such a shame too as that was one of the things I was most looking forward to when the Wii was first announced.

pinata242
04-19-11, 09:16 AM
They rarely use their TVs in their rooms. 10 year-old has a 19" LCD with 7-disc DVD changer, Wii, and VCR. 6 year-old has a 13" Cinderella TV and DVD player. For some reason, they prefer my set-up in the living room. Go figure :shrug:

orangecrush
04-19-11, 09:20 AM
They rarely use their TVs in their rooms. 10 year-old has a 19" LCD with 7-disc DVD changer, Wii, and VCR. 6 year-old has a 13" Cinderella TV and DVD player. For some reason, they prefer my set-up in the living room. Go figure :shrug:My 6 and 4 year old like to sit on the couch in our basement and watch netflix on our 17" computer screen while I play games on our HDTV. I am pretty sure my kids will ride the short bus.

glassdragon
04-19-11, 09:37 AM
They rarely use their TVs in their rooms. 10 year-old has a 19" LCD with 7-disc DVD changer, Wii, and VCR. 6 year-old has a 13" Cinderella TV and DVD player. For some reason, they prefer my set-up in the living room. Go figure :shrug:

Wait, I understood this whole post but the VCR thing, what in the hell is a vcr?

pinata242
04-19-11, 09:39 AM
It made her feel cooler to have another device. It wasn't doing anything else. Are we still on topic here? ;)

glassdragon
04-19-11, 09:44 AM
It made her feel cooler to have another device. It wasn't doing anything else. Are we still on topic here? ;)

I'm sure her friends just poke it with sticks when they come over.

Back on topic

My wii collected dust so no more nintendo systems for me. As for ps4 and such, the fact of whether all 68 of my psn games transfer over will be one of the big determining factors in whether I buy the new console or not.

Mazje
04-19-11, 09:58 AM
I'd like to say that I can't imagine ANY of the consoles NOT allowing transfer of DLC, movies, games, etc. onto a a new console.

However, Playstation 3 had arguably the best reason to include backwards compatibility (the huge PS2 library) and they didn't (well, not really).

So who knows?

orangecrush
04-19-11, 10:17 AM
I'd like to say that I can't imagine ANY of the consoles NOT allowing transfer of DLC, movies, games, etc. onto a a new console.

However, Playstation 3 had arguably the best reason to include backwards compatibility (the huge PS2 library) and they didn't (well, not really).

So who knows?They did for a while. Normally I think backwards compatibility is overrated, but I feel like it matters more to me when it comes to digital purchases (as I won't be able to sell them off like I did most of my gamecube games and PS2 stuff).

Anubis2005X
04-20-11, 11:00 AM
Nintendogs and Wii Sports say hello ;)

Yeah, but...EHHHHHH. I want REAL franchises. :)

NiCK Crush
04-20-11, 03:17 PM
I cannot wait for this announcement.

orangecrush
04-20-11, 03:26 PM
I cannot wait for this announcement.E3 is looking to be pretty good w/ this and the next Sony handheld.

Fandango
04-20-11, 06:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/zuH7x.jpg

Liver&Onions
04-20-11, 07:01 PM
where'd you pull those from?

LosingMyMind
04-20-11, 07:21 PM
Just wait until you see what else Project Cafe has in store. The streaming controllers aren't even close to being the coolest feature.

Quack
04-20-11, 07:44 PM
Just wait until you see what else Project Cafe has in store. The streaming controllers aren't even close to being the coolest feature.

Then please, feel free to share. :)

Michael Corvin
04-20-11, 08:01 PM
See the placement of those analog sticks! Suck it Sony. :nopanic:

Fandango
04-20-11, 08:16 PM
LosingMyMind are you a dev?

Quack
04-20-11, 08:18 PM
Fandango where did you snag that picture from?

TheBigDave
04-20-11, 08:27 PM
Those controllers look much better than the ones I was imagining.

Fandango where did you snag that picture from?

Looks like it may have originated from 4chan.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/rumors/could-these-be-nintendos-new-project-cafe-controllers/

orangecrush
04-21-11, 09:21 AM
Those controllers look much better than the ones I was imagining.I agree 100% If those are the controllers, I would be stoked. However, I don't see Nintendo abandoning the simplicity of the wiimote. I would be happy to be wrong though.

Deftones
04-21-11, 11:10 AM

quit teasing us you jerk! ;)

i will repeat my concern about having a screen like that on a controller. i'm afraid that a drop will cause it to shatter.

Michael Corvin
04-21-11, 11:18 AM
So if any of this is to be believed is Nintendo going to go against all they learned with the Wii & DS about being profitable on day 1? Or will we get some ridiculous priced Nintendo console for the first time? $250 has been their ceiling since the NES, right?

pinata242
04-21-11, 11:21 AM
We have no idea what it'll actually be and it's still 1.5 years off. Both the 360 and PS3 are profitable now, right? If this is better than those, and we don't know by how much, the tech may still be easily affordable.

Rob V
04-21-11, 11:23 AM
So if any of this is to be believed is Nintendo going to go against all they learned with the Wii & DS about being profitable on day 1? Or will we get some ridiculous priced Nintendo console for the first time? $250 has been their ceiling since the NES, right?

This is my point. We all know the consoles don't make money but Nintendo did it right and actually did make money with the Wii. Now they are going the bloated console route and I don't believe they have the games to be profitable --- unless 3rd party developers come to the pump like they have for Microsoft and Sony.

Anubis2005X
04-21-11, 11:54 AM
quit teasing us you jerk! ;)

i will repeat my concern about having a screen like that on a controller. i'm afraid that a drop will cause it to shatter.

I shudder to think of what kind of weird rubber controller condom they'll whip <s>out</s> up for these new controllers.

al_bundy
04-21-11, 12:13 PM

the output resolutions have been the same for years now, 1080p and 720p. not like from the late 1990's to the middle of the last decade where they went from 300i or so to the current HD resolutions.

i bet the processing and graphics hardware don't have to be that expensive like they used to.

Groucho
04-21-11, 12:20 PM
The screen-in-controllers is a good idea, especially with the growing popularity of co-op games. For instance, imagine an RPG where each player can look at their own stats and inventory without cluttering up the screen. Or poker with all players in the same room.

Of course, this is not new. Dreamcast had the VMU, and Nintendo has had connectivity with it's various handhelds. But if this rumor is true, this would be the first time that this sort of thing was a stock feature and not something sold separately.

fujishig
04-21-11, 12:32 PM
The screen-in-controllers is a good idea, especially with the growing popularity of co-op games. For instance, imagine an RPG where each player can look at their own stats and inventory without cluttering up the screen. Or poker with all players in the same room.

Of course, this is not new. Dreamcast had the VMU, and Nintendo has had connectivity with it's various handhelds. But if this rumor is true, this would be the first time that this sort of thing was a stock feature and not something sold separately.

Is co-op resurgent, though? I thought online play was much more prevalent, and everyone has their own screen then too... I was bemoaning the lack of use my second controllers get on both Xbox and 360, which is a far cry from, say, the Nintendo 64 where all four controllers frequently got used.

It's cool tech, and I'm sure Nintendo can make it work, I'm just curious how prevalent this is (and how many batteries these controllers are going to suck up)

Michael Corvin
04-21-11, 12:55 PM
Borderlands would be badass with those controllers. Inventory, menus, comparing weapons... :drool:

fumanstan
04-21-11, 04:38 PM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1163362p1.html

Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.

In terms of the design of the console itself, the overall size will be comparable to that of the original Xbox 360 and the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

Drexl
04-21-11, 07:02 PM
But remember, 1080p doesn't mean much until we see what resolution the games will actually use. It would have to be a big step over the 360 and PS3 to have 1080p games as the norm.

mhg83
04-21-11, 07:48 PM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1163362p1.html

So this will be the first time an Elder Scrolls game made available on Nintendo and will have the best graphics on it. It's hard to imagine a future like that.

kstublen
04-21-11, 07:55 PM
Hopefully this new console sees Nintendo adopt an easier and more intuitive system for online gaming. I only ever played Mario Kart Wii and Super Smash Bros. Brawl a few times online, and it was pretty inconvenient, compared to the ease with which I can access online gameplay on my PS3.

I'm also wondering exactly how the in-screen controller would work. If it's strictly for stuff like checking maps, selecting weapons, etc. and the gameplay doesn't show up on the screen, it could be a little problematic. I mean, in order to select your weapon or check a map or whatever, you'd have to look away from the main action of the game and consult another screen; if you're doing multiplayer, this could definitely have an adverse effect on you.

Supermallet
04-22-11, 12:11 AM
the system is likely to resemble a modernized version of the Super Nintendo Entertainment System (SNES).

Damn it, it's like they knew exactly what would get me to buy it.

al_bundy
04-22-11, 07:33 AM
But remember, 1080p doesn't mean much until we see what resolution the games will actually use. It would have to be a big step over the 360 and PS3 to have 1080p games as the norm.

the 360 and PS3 came out when 1080p was only available on the fastest CPU's. these days cheap ARM CPU's in cell phones can output in 1080p. i believe the Intel Atom can upscale SD to 1080p.

even on the PC side you don't need a new GPU to do 1080p resolution

i'm pretty sure all the next gen consoles will come with blu ray and do 1080p on all games without getting warm. the winner of the next generation of consoles will have the best online services

Michael Corvin
04-22-11, 08:04 AM
Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.

This is starting to sound like Nintendo is falling into a Dreamcast scenario where it's better than what's out now, but will easily be eclipsed in 18-24 months by the next Xbox and Playstation. Big difference being Nintendo's innovation and stable of first party franchises.

Damn it, it's like they knew exactly what would get me to buy it.

Fan of the Nintendo Easy Bake Oven look?

al_bundy
04-22-11, 08:29 AM
PowerPC? i might buy one of these to use as a heater in the winter

pinata242
04-22-11, 09:36 AM
This is starting to sound like Nintendo is falling into a Dreamcast scenario where it's better than what's out now, but will easily be eclipsed in 18-24 months by the next Xbox and Playstation. Big difference being Nintendo's innovation and stable of first party franchises.

Could be but luckily these consoles are already pushing home theaters to the limits so there's really not a lot of room to one-up each other with output features. It's going to come down to raw power, software support, and unique innovations. I think that every company is doing a good job of entrenching themselves as essential, especially if Nintendo is doing what it seems like they are.

slop101
04-22-11, 10:37 AM
I'm assuming they'll keep the Wii around for the "casuals" and this system will be more geared towards the more "hardcore" gamer market.

fumanstan
04-22-11, 11:41 AM
Nintendo is going the way of Sega :sad:

mattysemo247
04-22-11, 11:51 AM

I think that would be awesome. One less system to worry about buying and having all of the first party titles for the next X Box and PS system. Playing Super Mario on X Box 720 and Legend of Zelda on PS4. I guess one can dream.

xmiyux
04-22-11, 12:11 PM
I think that would be awesome. One less system to worry about buying and having all of the first party titles for the next X Box and PS system. Playing Super Mario on X Box 720 and Legend of Zelda on PS4. I guess one can dream.

The problem with that is Nintendo is the one trying to do new things on the hardware front. We need that innovative push.

Michael Corvin
04-22-11, 12:15 PM
Not to mention they are still the only ones that make a reliable system.

Supermallet
04-22-11, 05:06 PM
Fan of the Nintendo Easy Bake Oven look?

I will cut you. The SNES is the greatest video gaming system ever crafted by the hands of man.

redrum
04-22-11, 05:39 PM

the Wii has sold 70 million units

Fandango
04-22-11, 06:07 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/2lkxova.jpg

Quack
04-22-11, 06:20 PM
-eek- :drool:

slop101
04-22-11, 07:03 PM
Nintendo is going the way of Sega :sad:With the way they've been raking in the cash, they need to have 4-5 console failures in a row in order for them to go the way of Sega.

xmiyux
04-22-11, 07:59 PM
I will cut you. The SNES is the greatest video gaming system ever crafted by the hands of man.

FYI - you are wrong. The Dreamcast holds that title.

NiCK Crush
04-22-11, 08:00 PM

Not the case, at all, actually.

Supermallet
04-22-11, 08:07 PM
FYI - you are wrong. The Dreamcast holds that title.

http://capitalistliontamer.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/roberto_jpg_595x325_crop_upscale_q85.jpg?w=450&h=245

Drexl
04-22-11, 08:10 PM
Christ people, Fumanstan was joking.

I think.

kgrogers1979
04-22-11, 09:01 PM
With the way they've been raking in the cash, they need to have 4-5 console failures in a row in order for them to go the way of Sega.

Yeah, pretty much. People tend to forget that Sega didn't go out of business over night. It was a long process of failure after failure from the Sega CD to the 32X to the Dreamcast. One failure alone doesn't mean bankruptcy at all. If that was the case, no company would ever survive because every company fails at one time or another. The only real failure that Nintendo has had was the Virtual Boy which was more than a decade ago. They have since recovered from that.

And I wonder if Nintendo drops the bomb and shows off a "significantly more powerful" console than the PS3 and 360, if Sony and MS are now planning to unveil their next-gen consoles at E3 as well. Once the first bomb drops, the rest follow shortly... This gen certainly isn't going to last until 2015-2016 like some people think...

I mean heck just a couple weeks ago I built a gaming PC for $600 that is significantly more powerful than the current consoles. If I can build it myself for $600, then a company which gets deep discounts for mass bulk purchases can build it for much cheaper. The PS3 and 360 are very outdated. By 2015, they are going to be ancient. Heck, the PS3 uses a 7800 GTX video card which is already ancient by PC gaming standards.

Match
04-22-11, 09:19 PM
http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/article/116/1162204/how-could-the-wii-2-controller-work-20110415053115064_640w.jpg

The color screen is cool but how much would this cost if you accidentally drop the controller and break one?

Michael Corvin
04-22-11, 09:23 PM
I know that's probably IGN's mock-up, but fuck Nintendo needs to lose the octogon frame around the analog sticks. What purpose do they possibly thing those serve?

fumanstan
04-22-11, 10:01 PM
Christ people, Fumanstan was joking.

I think.

Yeah I was, I guess people have short memories :lol:

slop101
04-22-11, 10:13 PM
Convex analog sticks... really?

Drexl
04-22-11, 10:22 PM
I know that's probably IGN's mock-up, but fuck Nintendo needs to lose the octogon frame around the analog sticks. What purpose do they possibly thing those serve?

I'm guessing the point is so that when it's moved all the way in one of the primary directions (up, down, left, right, diagonals), it settles in to nudge you in exactly that direction. So for example, you're moving straight forward instead of being slightly off. But I agree, it should go.

While they're at it, make sure the triggers are analog. Those triggers look digital since they used the Wii Classic Controller Pro as the basis.

Anubis2005X
04-22-11, 10:24 PM
Pretty sloppy mockup. All they really did was just take a classic controller pro and throw a screen on there and such.

AndyCleveland
04-23-11, 10:32 AM
i would simply be happy with a Wii that upconverts the old games to HD and has a larger internal hard drive

Deftones
04-23-11, 12:43 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/2lkxova.jpg

this is interesting. if they could truly get some of the games that xbox360 and ps3 get, it would be huge for them. the only downside is if they can integrate online play as well as microsoft did with live. wii's online stuff is atrocious.

Mazje
04-23-11, 02:36 PM
Earlier I said that I'd be surprised if they didn't allow transfer of VC, DLC, etc.

Online falls into the same category, as far as I'm concerned. They can't introduce Project Cafe, say "We're going after the hardcore gamer market," and then keep online play the same as they've done with the Wii.

TheBigDave
04-23-11, 08:55 PM
That controller looks nice. My only concerns are that the A/B/X/Y buttons look a little low. And I wish the L2/R2 buttons were triggers.

Decker
04-23-11, 09:30 PM
This might just be the best system ever, but I'll tell you : I didn't just buy a 60 in LED HDTV to have to keep looking down at the little screen on my controller. Maybe for local multiplayer Madden, but otherwise not feeling it yet.

NiCK Crush
04-24-11, 12:32 AM
This might just be the best system ever, but I'll tell you : I didn't just buy a 60 in LED HDTV to have to keep looking down at the little screen on my controller. Maybe for local multiplayer Madden, but otherwise not feeling it yet.

You know that screen isn't going to be used for the main part of gameplay... so I don't know why this is a concern of yours.

You might have the option to play your quarter of the screen in Mario Kart from another room, but obviously the screen will be used in other ways as well.

Decker
04-24-11, 06:15 AM
I guess the way they display the mock-up the screen looks integral to gameplay. I bet it will be very cool in actuality.
Based on current tech, I don't see how they can bring in a controller like that for under $100 though. I'd they actually charge that much for a second controller, it would certainly hurt sales.

Deftones
04-24-11, 10:58 AM
unless they packaged 2 in with the console at the beginning.

Mazje
04-24-11, 12:51 PM
Packing in two controllers and a game (like Wii Sports) just like old times would go a long way to establishing some good will.

Gizmo
04-24-11, 04:17 PM
Packing in two controllers and a game (like Wii Sports) just like old times would go a long way to establishing some good will.

Yeah, but if the Controllers are real, those will be pretty freakin' expensive. I'm game either way.

Drexl
04-24-11, 05:39 PM
unless they packaged 2 in with the console at the beginning.

I highly doubt they would do that. Maybe a game, but not two controllers.

glassdragon
04-24-11, 05:50 PM
I guess the way they display the mock-up the screen looks integral to gameplay. I bet it will be very cool in actuality.
Based on current tech, I don't see how they can bring in a controller like that for under $100 though. I'd they actually charge that much for a second controller, it would certainly hurt sales.

Watch it be like a dreamcast VMU....

*screen sold seperately

Deftones
04-24-11, 06:41 PM
I highly doubt they would do that. Maybe a game, but not two controllers.

i know times have changed and they don't really do that anymore, but Nintendo does think outside the box. you never know. :shrug:

al_bundy
04-24-11, 08:58 PM
No way they will do 2 controllers. The retail "partners" will go crazy. Best buy and others make money on the accessories, not the console sales

NiCK Crush
04-25-11, 01:20 AM
I bet they'll be in the $69-$79 range.

Michael Corvin
04-25-11, 07:12 AM
It's official: (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/25/wii-successor-2012/)(no new details though)

Nintendo has officially announced its intention to release a new console in 2012. According to a note published this morning on the company's Japanese investor relations website, "Nintendo Co., Ltd. has decided to launch in 2012 a system to succeed Wii, which the company has sold 86.01 million units on a consolidated shipment basis between its launch in 2006 and the end of March 2011."

hail2dking
04-25-11, 11:03 AM

You have to think of the bigger picture...no more trying to find a hiding spot or hitting the pause button when you have to drop a duece. You can game on the (or as you) go.

hail2dking
04-25-11, 11:10 AM
Yeah, but if the Controllers are real, those will be pretty freakin' expensive. I'm game either way.

They could always put some sort of memory storage in each controller (and a cpu). They can sell mobile games for it and give the controller multiple uses. You can use it on the Wii2, or use it as a replacement to the DS. They could probably sell those for $150 each no problem.

kgrogers1979
04-25-11, 01:54 PM
I don't know if these "leaked" pics are real or fake, but surely they can't be the final product since there are no ports, plug-ins, ventilation holes, or anything on them.

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/8806/leaked1.jpg

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9176/leaked2.jpg

pinata242
04-25-11, 02:00 PM
I think the fact that the final product is still 18 months away proves this isn't the final product.

fujishig
04-25-11, 02:10 PM
It runs off batteries! Or wireless energy! And wirelessly transmits 1080p video and lossless audio to the output devices. The wave of the future!

Groucho
04-25-11, 02:14 PM
They could always put some sort of memory storage in each controller (and a cpu).This has a lot of practical uses. Imagine having all of your saves and configuration with you in the controller. Then you could just bring it to your friend's house, and plug and play. Similar to carrying around your Xbox Live profile on a usb stick, except with the ability to change things around without disrupting the main console activity. "Don't mind me...I'm just adding a mustache to my Mii!"

pinata242
04-25-11, 02:18 PM
No one probably remembers, but they started down that path with the Wiimote in being able to tote your Mii around in it. Expanding that with like an SD card or whatever for gamesaves makes perfect sense.

Anubis2005X
04-25-11, 03:01 PM
I think the fact that the final product is still 18 months away proves this isn't the final product.

Word is that it'll be playable at E3 this year. Doesn't mean it'll be in its final form though, naturally.

Rob V
04-25-11, 03:12 PM
IGN rumored that it'll be more powerful than the 360 and PS3... it makes me wonder how much pressure that puts on MS and Sony to ramp up R&D of their next console? I didn't expect anything for 3-4 years but now I'm not so sure.

Noonan
04-25-11, 03:13 PM
I'm sure MS and Sony are well on their way to having the new consoles complete. My guess is we'll see them at next year's E3 to steal thunder from Nintendo's launch.

Groucho
04-25-11, 03:19 PM
IGN rumored that it'll be more powerful than the 360 and PS3...Well, of course it will. Those consoles are five years old.

Nintendo's problem with this console will be the same problem they have with EVERY console, their attitude of "We don't need [common sense feature], we're Nintendo!"

Supermallet
04-25-11, 03:30 PM
"We've done the studies, no one is interested in 3D graphics. All games on this system will be in 2D!"

al_bundy
04-25-11, 03:31 PM
i think engineering the hardware and coding the OS is the easy part. shouldn't be too hard to port some Mario game for a demo to whatever hardware they choose.

i'd guess that most of the work in console development is the development kit and the online piece of it. the console OS will probably be around 1GB in size. The dev kit will be 20GB or so and the software running on the servers that host the online piece will be fairly large as well as the databases to hold the data

kgrogers1979
04-25-11, 03:40 PM
I'm sure MS and Sony are well on their way to having the new consoles complete. My guess is we'll see them at next year's E3 to steal thunder from Nintendo's launch.

I bet we see them at this E3. All three will most likely launch next year.

Michael Corvin
04-25-11, 04:59 PM
I bet we see them at this E3. All three will most likely launch next year.

I'd say there is a 50-50 chance we'll see something from Microsoft and about a 5% chance from Sony.

kgrogers1979
04-25-11, 05:18 PM
I'd say there is a 50-50 chance we'll see something from Microsoft and about a 5% chance from Sony.

Why so low for Sony? You don't actually believe their 10-year plan means that the PS3 is going to be their primary console for 10 years, do you?

Sony has had a "10-year plan" with all of their consoles. The PS1 launched in 1995 and Sony kept manufacturing it until 2004/05. The PS2 launched in 2001, and they are still manufacturing it although that will most likely stop within the next year or two.

That is all a "10-year plan" means to Sony, that they will manufacture the console for 10 years, not that it will be their primary console for 10 years.

The PS4 started R&D long ago, and they almost certainly have a near completed build to show in case one of their competitors drops the bomb and shows off next-gen sooner rather than later. Nintendo has dropped the bomb, so Sony and MS are more than likely prepared to retaliate.

mhg83
04-25-11, 05:18 PM

I'm not so sure about Sony though. They're just now seeing profit from the ps3. Here's what i see happening; MS launches next xbox in 2012. Sony drops the price of ps3. This will cause the ps2 owners to change over to ps3. The games released on the Next xbox could still be ported over to ps3 although with less graphics power. Sony launches ps4 in 2016 end of ps3s ten year cycle. The graphics would outdo microsoft and nintendos systems.

kgrogers1979
04-25-11, 05:46 PM
I'm not so sure about Sony though. They're just now seeing profit from the ps3. Here's what i see happening; MS launches next xbox in 2012. Sony drops the price of ps3. This will cause the ps2 owners to change over to ps3. The games released on the Next xbox could still be ported over to ps3 although with less graphics power. Sony launches ps4 in 2016 end of ps3s ten year cycle. The graphics would outdo microsoft and nintendos systems.

If you think Sony is going to wait until 2016 to get their next-gen console out, you are crazy. It will be out by 2013 at the latest.

Yes, they are just now seeing profit on the PS3, but they are just going to have to chaulk it up as a hard lesson learned not to blow up the costs so exponentially.

If Microsoft and Nintendo launch their next-gen, Sony HAS to follow suit if they want to remain even the slightest bit competitive. All the hardcore gamers are going to move onto next-gen with or without Sony. If Sony does not have next-gen, their userbase dwindles rapidly.

Yes, next-gen games could potentially be ported back to PS3 with less graphical power, but honestly that isn't going to happen very much. It only rarely happened this gen, with 360/PS3 games being ported back to Xbox/PS2 and in practically all cases the old-gen versions didn't sell well. Only the poor and/or casual gamers remain behind on the old hardware, and these people don't spend much money, so there is no incentive for the developers since the profit margin is so low on developing last-gen games.

fujishig
04-25-11, 05:54 PM
I don't think we'll see much from either Sony or Microsoft this E3, since it'd be in a rush and take the focus away from the current consoles they should be pushing now. We'll see, though.

In addition, Sony has got to be focusing on the NGP or PSP2 or whatever they want to call it. And maybe having someone fix PSN sometime soon.

Supermallet
04-25-11, 06:04 PM
If Microsoft and Sony were planning to unveil a new console this year, don't you think we'd be hearing as many rumblings from them as we are from Nintendo?

Liver&Onions
04-25-11, 06:06 PM
ding.

kgrogers1979
04-25-11, 06:08 PM
If Microsoft and Sony were planning to unveil a new console this year, don't you think we'd be hearing as many rumblings from them as we are from Nintendo?

Or maybe they are just better at guarding secrets than Nintendo.

They are probably playing the wait-and-see game. Wait and see if Project Cafe blows everything out of the water like it is hyped to be, then MS and Sony will show off their plans as well. If the Project Cafe is overhyped, then wait until later since there won't be any immediate urgency to show.

fujishig
04-25-11, 06:08 PM

I figured the speculation was based on MS and Sony reacting to Nintendo's news, not that they all happened to pick this E3 beforehand.

devynal
04-25-11, 06:10 PM
Microsoft did post job openings for hardware architects for the next console this past March, if that gives any indication of a timeline.

flashburn
04-25-11, 06:12 PM
Microsoft did post job openings for hardware architects for the next console this past March, if that gives any indication of a timeline.

I wouldn't read into that too much with regards to when the next gen MS console will be released.