DVD Talk
Nintendo Console Announced at E3 2011 (Wii U) [Archive] - Page 2 - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Nintendo Console Announced at E3 2011 (Wii U)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Supermallet
04-25-11, 07:32 PM
Or maybe they are just better at guarding secrets than Nintendo.

They are probably playing the wait-and-see game. Wait and see if Project Cafe blows everything out of the water like it is hyped to be, then MS and Sony will show off their plans as well. If the Project Cafe is overhyped, then wait until later since there won't be any immediate urgency to show.

Since when are MS and Sony good at keeping secrets? If new consoles were going to be unveiled this summer, we'd be hearing about it.

Michael Corvin
04-25-11, 10:30 PM
Why so low for Sony? You don't actually believe their 10-year plan means that the PS3 is going to be their primary console for 10 years, do you?

Of course not, but don't forget the 360 is a year older than the Wii and PS3, and as mentioned the PS3 is just now hitting its stride. I bet MS tries to compete with Nintendo while Sony rides it out a year longer than both.

Groucho
04-25-11, 10:41 PM
I bet we see them at this E3. All three will most likely launch next year.At this rate, Sony's big E3 announcement will be that PSN will be "back online sometime in Q4 2012!"

fumanstan
04-25-11, 10:51 PM
I'd say the odds are ridiculously slim that Microsoft or Sony announce anything at E3. Maybe some rumblings towards the end of the year just to say they'll be way more powerful then whatever Nintendo puts out, but I don't see any reason to assume they're sitting on new tech already and just waiting it out. I never got the impression that Sony and Microsoft were in a big rush for the next generation, and 2013 wouldn't surprise me.

Raul3
04-25-11, 11:26 PM
Yeah, Nintendo is the only one behind. Sony and Microsoft don't need to hurry up, they already are "next generation".

And I really don't expect anything from the new Nintendo console to be too superior.

NiCK Crush
04-26-11, 12:37 AM
It's kind of amazing how many people rag on Nintendo these days.

glassdragon
04-26-11, 01:09 AM
It's kind of amazing how many people rag on Nintendo these days.

What's kind of amazing is how nintendo is always the last to adopt new technology. Maybe people wouldn't rag on them as much if they followed the times instead of trying to use gimmicks which will hopefully change with this. They were still using cartridges well after cd's became the norm

It's getting a bit tired of them to have systems that format wise and such are 2 or 3 years behind the times. That is why I don't really think of nintendo as being valid anymore. Hopefully they can make something that I can take seriously this time. Mind you,some of their games are great, but for god sakes, the wii had a dvd drive but didn't even play dvd movies. That is kind of ridiculous to not have the functionality.

pinata242
04-26-11, 01:22 AM
Yeah, they totally copied half of Move only five years before Sony did it ;)

Seriously, though, they innovate. HD wasn't a concern for the Japanese gamer in 2006.

glassdragon
04-26-11, 01:25 AM
Yeah, they totally copied half of Move only five years before Sony did it ;)

Seriously, though, they innovate. HD wasn't a concern for the Japanese gamer in 2006.

The move is also a gimmick. I don't consider the wiimote or the move, or anything like that innovating, it's all a gimmick. I had the move for awhile and got rid of it as it just isn't very fun. That is just my opinion, but it doesn't seem like they take it very seriously. If they took the system seriously then I think they would do great, but that's just how I feel

I'm not saying they copy anyone, in fact they rarely copy, but it just makes me think they don't take making a system seriously, they would rather make a boy than a serious gaming system.

Michael Corvin
04-26-11, 08:25 AM
they would rather make a boy than a serious gaming system.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_azOpGTHS0hY/S-t0348OQhI/AAAAAAAAARM/_fWx9ajQP50/s1600/ai.jpg

kstublen
04-26-11, 08:34 AM
Yeah, it was ridiculous that Nintendo wouldn't at least have the Wii play DVDs, and while there was a degree of gimmick in the majority of third-party titles, the Nintendo games were all top notch.

And the motion controls aside, I actually liked the Wii Remote and Nunchuck for games; I found it a very comfortable and intuitive way to play the games and it gave me more freedom with position my hands than with other controllers.

I also don't see why people criticize the integration of motion controls just because some of it ended up being lame. For example, I loved the way it was integrated into Twilight Princess for things like shooting arrows and swordfights.

I guess I'm just biased because I've been with Nintendo since I was a kid; although I did get a PlayStation 2 and PlayStation 3, primarily for the DVD and Blu-ray capabilities, respectively, as well as a few titles. Like I said before though, as long as Nintendo gives me quality games from their main franchises, that's all I care about. The Wii was well worth it for Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Twilight Princess, Donkey Kong Country Returns, and other first-party titles.

Michael Corvin
04-26-11, 08:56 AM
Yeah, it was ridiculous that Nintendo wouldn't at least have the Wii play DVDs, and while there was a degree of gimmick in the majority of third-party titles, the Nintendo games were all top notch.

Even "top notch" AAA titles couldn't get away from the gimmick. A few choice examples where waggle/pointing were forced into games that never needed them before:

Super Mario Galaxy didn't need it. Pointing at starbits is the same as walking past them, you get 'em anyway. Did we really need levels where you stand on a ball to move? Shake to spin? Nope. Nope. Nope.

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Shake the Wiimote to pick things up? Uh, talk about a step backward, it was a button press for 25 years.

Metroid: Other M - Point to shoot missles and re-orienting the controller in the heat of battle? Worst design decision ever.

There are plenty more examples like those. In fact the only ones that I think truly worked from the ground up were Metroid Prime and the Wii Sports titles. Even then, I think Metroid was more of a lateral move versus true improvement.

And the motion controls aside, I actually liked the Wii Remote and Nunchuck for games; I found it a very comfortable and intuitive way to play the games and it gave me more freedom with position my hands than with other controllers.

I actually agree on this. Make it wireless and give me four face buttons instead of one and I'd be down for a Wimote 2.0 for the next system.

I guess I'm just biased because I've been with Nintendo since I was a kid;

Most of us have. I've been there for every launch except the NES, ready to fork over the money (even 13 hours in 30 degree weather for the Wii launch) and the Wii was a disappointment. Sure Nintendo put out decent updates to a lot of the franchises, but as mentioned above, they had to fuck 'em up in some way with forced controls. Not to mention we are still paying $50 for what are ultimately Gamecube games. :nopanic:

al_bundy
04-26-11, 09:17 AM
Since when are MS and Sony good at keeping secrets? If new consoles were going to be unveiled this summer, we'd be hearing about it.

only if you believe that all these supposed leaks are really leaks and not a marketing strategy

orangecrush
04-26-11, 10:23 AM
What's kind of amazing is how nintendo is always the last to adopt new technology. Maybe people wouldn't rag on them as much if they followed the times instead of trying to use gimmicks which will hopefully change with this. They were still using cartridges well after cd's became the norm

It's getting a bit tired of them to have systems that format wise and such are 2 or 3 years behind the times. That is why I don't really think of nintendo as being valid anymore. Hopefully they can make something that I can take seriously this time. Mind you,some of their games are great, but for god sakes, the wii had a dvd drive but didn't even play dvd movies. That is kind of ridiculous to not have the functionality.The movement controls of the Wii notwithstanding, the Gamecube was more powerful than the PS2. Also, the Gamecube was the first controler to have analog triggers and the wavebird was the first really good wireless controler. The Wii is really the only underpowered console Nintendo has ever made.

slop101
04-26-11, 11:12 AM
The problem with most of these new gaming "innovations" is that they have fuck all to do with the actual games. It's classic "cart before the horse" mentality, with the tech servicing itself rather than the game. It's as if the R&D department and the game developers are working independently of each other, and having to shoe-horn their shit together at the end of the process.

Anubis2005X
04-26-11, 11:36 AM
Neither Microsoft nor Sony can show off new systems yet. They need to see what Nintendo is putting out there first so they can copy it! *runs away

orangecrush
04-26-11, 11:38 AM
The problem with most of these new gaming "innovations" is that they have fuck all to do with the actual games. It's classic "cart before the horse" mentality, with the tech servicing itself rather than the game. It's as if the R&D department and the game developers are working independently of each other, and having to shoe-horn their shit together at the end of the process.That is certainly true for the vast majority of the games. However, Wii Sports was pretty revolutionary and I think it has probably sold more gaming systems than any other single game in the last 20 years.

Michael Corvin
04-26-11, 11:55 AM
Yeah, Nintendo works very close with Miyamoto on each new system, and Cliffy B supposedly had some input in MS opting for 512MB of ram over cheaping out at 256MB. I think all three companies consider input from designers, it's whether or not they take their advice.

LosingMyMind
04-26-11, 01:18 PM
http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/712099/project-cafe-confirmed-nintendo-announces-new-console-for-e3/
"Nintendo has decided to launch in 2012 a system to succeed Wii, which the company has sold 86.01 million units on a consolidated shipment basis between its launch in 2006 and the end of March 2011.

We will show a playable model of the new system and announce more specifications at the E3 Expo, which will be held June 7-9, 2011, in Los Angeles.”

fujishig
04-26-11, 02:17 PM

It's getting a bit tired of them to have systems that format wise and such are 2 or 3 years behind the times. That is why I don't really think of nintendo as being valid anymore. Hopefully they can make something that I can take seriously this time. Mind you,some of their games are great, but for god sakes, the wii had a dvd drive but didn't even play dvd movies. That is kind of ridiculous to not have the functionality.

Nintendo not valid? They're laughing all the way to the bank. And leave it to Sony to "revolutionize" the portable market with UMDs while Nintendo relies on cartridges.

I think Nintendo is innovative, they just didn't prioritize HD gaming or DVD playback (and really, how many households would even use the Wii as a DVD player?). I think nearly every new system has a controller that has done something different than the rest. And they found a way to be successful by doing something different this generation, instead of building a system similar to the other two and trying to compete with the same market.

Admittedly, their lack of an online strategy for any of their systems is frustrating. Having the multiple variations of the DS only do WEP is frustrating. But now they're entering the HD space, in a time when HD sets are very commonplace.

Groucho
04-26-11, 02:32 PM
What's funny is that Nintendo made this maddeningly complex online friends system in order to protect "the children". Yet, it's still the only console where I can routinely play an online game against an opponent whose face looks like a penis.

al_bundy
04-26-11, 02:46 PM
Nintendo not valid? They're laughing all the way to the bank. And leave it to Sony to "revolutionize" the portable market with UMDs while Nintendo relies on cartridges.

I think Nintendo is innovative, they just didn't prioritize HD gaming or DVD playback (and really, how many households would even use the Wii as a DVD player?). I think nearly every new system has a controller that has done something different than the rest. And they found a way to be successful by doing something different this generation, instead of building a system similar to the other two and trying to compete with the same market.

Admittedly, their lack of an online strategy for any of their systems is frustrating. Having the multiple variations of the DS only do WEP is frustrating. But now they're entering the HD space, in a time when HD sets are very commonplace.

the whole balance board and wii fit was probably hated by gyms everywhere. but with kinect it's a lot better.

NiCK Crush
04-26-11, 03:06 PM
Kinect doesn't work for me, because I don't like flailing my arms around without something in my hand. At least with Wii, and even better with Playstation Move, I am gripping something that feels like a tennis racket, or a golf club.

Kinect is fine for dance games, if that's your thing.

Rob V
04-26-11, 03:44 PM
The best thing about new consoles: fanboys come out in droves to condone or support a set of assumptions.

fumanstan
04-26-11, 04:14 PM
The best thing about new consoles: fanboys come out in droves to condone or support a set of assumptions.

The worst thing is people automatically associate critical comments with "fanboy"

NiCK Crush
04-27-11, 01:17 AM
The worst thing is people automatically associate critical comments with "fanboy"

:thumbsup:

glassdragon
04-27-11, 03:06 AM

I'm pretty sure I said that I don't think they're valid, and I still don't. My comment should have no bearing on what you feel. I will not be buying anything else from them until they can prove to me they are serious.

Their target audience imo are people who are impressed by the gimmicks they come out with (not everyone who plays it, just what they are shooting for). I am not one of those people. While they have some decent 1st party games, there is an awful lot of shovelware. I guess I am just used to the old days where the nintendo seal of approval almost always meant it was a great game, now they put their seal on everything.

atxbomber
04-27-11, 04:36 AM
. I guess I am just used to the old days where the nintendo seal of approval almost always meant it was a great game, now they put their seal on everything.

You're looking back with rose colored glasses. There was something like 800 NES games to sport the Nintendo Seal, how many of those were really even good games, let alone great? All the seal meant was it was officially licensed, in other words Nintendo collected a check. It was a great marketing tool though, back in the day, I'll give them that.

huh?
04-27-11, 06:36 AM
I think Nintendo is very innovative, but they don't always have their finger on the pulse of what gamers are looking for. I give them props for trying new things, trying to push the envelope, etc. I'm sort of tired of the MS/Sony "innovation" which seems to just be better graphics, more blood, more power. I've been playing games for a long time and Nintendo is usually the ones making a "leap" that keep me coming back to play. Sure they have misses, but they also have hits. Most of the time, their hits move the gaming industry forward, and I like that.

It's just my opinion, but it seems the innovations coming through on games from MS/Sony are small compared to what Nintendo does consistently. Where MS really showed a knack for pushing stuff forward was their online experience. People were clearly looking to connect online and play games. Nintendo has consistently missed the mark here. But as far as gameplay, Nintendo is far more inventive (again, just my opinion).

I never buy a console on launch anymore, but I am curious to see what Nintendo has up their sleeve this time.

Michael Corvin
04-27-11, 08:32 AM
I'm sort of tired of the MS/Sony "innovation" which seems to just be better graphics, more blood, more power.

:rolleyes: That's on the third party game designers not MS or Sony. I can't think of a single franchise from either company that specializes in "blood." :lol:

Lest we forget that up until the Wii, Nintendo was just as focused on better graphics and more power with each system. It's standard protocol.

Anubis2005X
04-27-11, 09:32 AM
:rolleyes: That's on the third party game designers not MS or Sony. I can't think of a single franchise from either company that specializes in "blood." :lol:

God of War 3, anyone? :)

huh?
04-27-11, 09:33 AM
No, you're right, I think I made my point poorly. I guess as I grow older and have played games for a long time, I'm looking for companies/developers to "try different things", and I am less impressed with COD 1 vs. COD 2 or 3 or 4, as I find myself getting bored with lack of innovation. I just feel Nintendo's heart is in the right place, even if they fail 50% of the time. With the sony's and MS's, i feel like pushing more power is all they care about. Again, it's my opinion, you can disagree, no worries. I also feel my opinion has changed the longer I play games. (I guess I used to consider myself what people refer to as a hardcore gamer, but I don't think I am anymore so my opinion is likely to be different from others).

Michael Corvin
04-27-11, 09:48 AM
God of War 3, anyone? :)

:lol: Touché. I knew there would be an obvious one I was missing. The point still stands though, that's a single franchise out of many.

orangecrush
04-27-11, 10:50 AM
I guess I am just used to the old days where the nintendo seal of approval almost always meant it was a great game, now they put their seal on everything.It never meant that. There has be some serious crap on every system ever made (Except for the Dreamcast of course).

spainlinx0
04-27-11, 04:22 PM
Everyone loves the Dreamcast, even though it had one of the most horrifically designed controllers. Every button and stick on that thing was designed to destroy your fingertips. I loved mine, but the rose colored glasses we judge that system by are crazy.

Michael Corvin
04-27-11, 04:39 PM
^ The only controller worse than the Dual Shock.

orangecrush
04-27-11, 04:39 PM
Everyone loves the Dreamcast, even though it had one of the most horrifically designed controllers. Every button and stick on that thing was designed to destroy your fingertips. I loved mine, but the rose colored glasses we judge that system by are crazy.I was poking fun at those people. I never even owned a Dreamcast, but when I would play at my friends house I hated the controler. So painful.

glassdragon
04-27-11, 04:48 PM

The Atari Jaguar would like a word with you.

http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/images/1990s/93_Atari_Jaguar/Atari_jaguar_controller.jpg

kgrogers1979
04-27-11, 06:25 PM
The Atari Jaguar would like a word with you.

And the Colecovision.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4449/colecovisioncontroller.jpg

I remember as a 5 year old how my cousin had a Colecovision and was always boasting how superior it was to my Atari 2600, but I could never get over how retarded the controller was.

xmiyux
04-27-11, 07:39 PM
Everyone loves the Dreamcast, even though it had one of the most horrifically designed controllers. Every button and stick on that thing was designed to destroy your fingertips. I loved mine, but the rose colored glasses we judge that system by are crazy.

Both of you suck - speaking ill of the best system ever!

I actually liked the DC controller.

mhg83
04-27-11, 09:32 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet but another rumor i heard:

- The console is confirmed to be backwards compatible with all Wii/Gamecube titles, and all your VC games will be transferred over once you link your credit card to the system

Not sure how i'd feel putting my credit card on Nintendos' servers especially after the fuck up with psn.

pinata242
04-27-11, 10:24 PM
rotfl Methinks they'll clarify that at E3. I've never linked a cc with my Wii, so are will they serve me? Hey! What about my MyNintendo ID!? Nah, that's too crazy!

Michael Corvin
04-28-11, 08:00 AM
I actually liked the DC controller.

I don't have tiny girlie hands so it was carpal tunnel in the making. ;)

Drexl
04-28-11, 12:29 PM
Yeah, I wasn't really a fan of the Dreamcast controller either. The analog stick didn't have a rubbery coating, the D-pad was mushy, and didn't the buttons have raised lettering on them? I also hated how the cord came out on the bottom so they could fit that VMU in there.

At least it had good analog triggers.

al_bundy
04-28-11, 01:26 PM
Not sure if this has been posted yet but another rumor i heard:

- The console is confirmed to be backwards compatible with all Wii/Gamecube titles, and all your VC games will be transferred over once you link your credit card to the system

Not sure how i'd feel putting my credit card on Nintendos' servers especially after the fuck up with psn.

Just dispute the charges

redbill
04-28-11, 01:40 PM
It should be easy for them to do w/o credit card. All my VC purchases (and 1st party titles I register) are all stored on nintendo.com once I linked my nintendo.com account to my console. Should be a way to use that infrastructure.

GreenMonkey
04-29-11, 01:35 AM
The Dreamcast controller was great. The only bad thing was the bottom cord on the controller.

Analog shoulder buttons, nice and grippy, decent d-pad, good analog stick.

orangecrush
04-29-11, 09:27 AM
The Dreamcast controller was great. The only bad thing was the bottom cord on the controller.

Analog shoulder buttons, nice and grippy, decent d-pad, good analog stick.At least there was a little "hook" at the top of the controller for the chord. Were the shoulder buttons analog? I always though the gamecube did that first.

Drexl
04-29-11, 03:32 PM
At least there was a little "hook" at the top of the controller for the chord. Were the shoulder buttons analog? I always though the gamecube did that first.

Yes, the triggers were analog. I remember NBA 2K introduced the concept of aiming free throws by pulling them a certain amount, with worse shooters requiring more precision.

Kory
04-29-11, 07:28 PM
Yes, the triggers were analog. I remember NBA 2K introduced the concept of aiming free throws by pulling them a certain amount, with worse shooters requiring more precision.

I loved that feature.

NiCK Crush
05-01-11, 11:17 PM
another mockup concept

http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/project_cafe_controller.jpg?w=575&h=358

pinata242
05-01-11, 11:29 PM
They shouldn't have bothered with that mock-up. It's terrible.

NiCK Crush
05-02-11, 12:06 AM
They shouldn't have bothered with that mock-up. It's terrible.

It'd be like holding a DS - a very successful, proven, portable console - I don't know many people who complain about the controls, or the feeling of the device in your hands.

But no matter, it's just a concept.

pinata242
05-02-11, 12:20 AM
It just looks too huge to me (that's what she said). I wasn't meaning the quality of the mock-up was terrible, just the layout. I am 99% sure that it's based on a bad scale anyway since the screen is supposed to be 6" (diagonal, I assume), and that's clearly bigger than 6".

Michael Corvin
05-02-11, 08:18 AM
That would be terribly uncomfortable for long play sessions.

Drexl
05-02-11, 11:13 AM
It'd be like holding a DS - a very successful, proven, portable console - I don't know many people who complain about the controls, or the feeling of the device in your hands.

But no matter, it's just a concept.

No handles = fail. The DS is different because it's a portable device, and the size and shape are important.

Groucho
05-02-11, 11:23 AM
another mockup concept

http://sickr.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/project_cafe_controller.jpg?w=575&h=358:lol: That's horrible.

NiCK Crush
05-03-11, 12:37 AM
there are reports coming in that the console is called Nintendo Feel

http://loading.se/news.php?pub_id=15144

spainlinx0
05-03-11, 01:30 AM
Oooo, I hope it feels like boobies.

pinata242
05-03-11, 01:37 AM
Exclusive first look at the Nintendo Feel

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tsO5hdrh9XU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Deftones
05-03-11, 10:20 AM
that controller mockup is hilarious. so now controllers are going to cost $150 each? :lol:

shumway
05-03-11, 11:34 AM
Nintendo always has to be resistant to change:

Nintendo’s Next Console Will Enter the HD Era, but Not the Hard Drive Era

Stephen Totilo — Nintendo's Next Console Will Enter the HD Era, but Not the Hard Drive EraThe successor to the Wii will not include a traditional hard-drive but will bear some of the traits of competing high-definition game consoles, according to sources familiar with Nintendo's planned 2012 gaming machine.

The console, codenamed Project Café, will include 8 gigabytes of on-board flash-based memory, presumably for game storage. That quantity, while nearly 16 times the storage capacity of the Wii, is smaller than the 20GB of room available in the original, optional hard drives offered in 2005 for the Xbox 360. The amount of memory in the new Nintendo console would also be dwarfed by the 250 GB drives offered in current, high-end versions of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

pinata242
05-03-11, 11:39 AM
I'd actually prefer that if they support external drives. Not that it really matters unless they change their outlook on game updates, DLC, and a greater emphasis on digital distribution.

Also, I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the controllers have built-in memory for save games (or at least removable media support) so your controller becomes your identity.

Michael Corvin
05-03-11, 12:05 PM
8GB? Finally something to compete with the original Xbox! Nintendo...one step forward, two steps back. This is gonna suck if every little bit leaks out piecemeal. Over analyzing everything will grow tiresome. ;)

Also, I miss the memory card slots in the controllers. It was super handy. Having it built in would be nice, but what happens to your save games if your controller breaks?

pinata242
05-03-11, 12:07 PM
Then go with removable media. They already supported the SD format on the Wii.

Anubis2005X
05-03-11, 12:39 PM
8GB? Sigh...

Groucho
05-03-11, 12:47 PM
8GB? Many PHONES have more memory. :lol: WHAAAAA?

Deftones
05-03-11, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping that's just a rumor because that seems ridiculous, if true.

KnightLerxst
05-03-11, 01:01 PM
Exclusive first look at the Nintendo Feel

<iframe width="853" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tsO5hdrh9XU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:lol: :lol: :lol:

NiCK Crush
05-03-11, 01:06 PM
8GB isn't official, folks.

Anubis2005X
05-03-11, 01:10 PM
Why does Nintendo always have to shoot themselves in the foot?

N64 was ready to kick all kinds of ass but then they decided to ditch CDs and stick with cartridges. Sure, it was a decent system, but it had so much more potential.

GameCube was a nice system, but they went with smaller discs that held less data, requiring more compression. And the Z button on that controller? Stupid. They just couldn't bring themselves to put a second Z button on the left side. No, they just had to have ONE extra button on the right side. Made it a bitch for companies to port over titles from the PS2.

Wii, well, we all know about the Wii.

<--------Still waiting for the glory days that we had during SNES...

orangecrush
05-03-11, 02:30 PM
GameCube was a nice system, but they went with smaller discs that held less data, requiring more compression. And the Z button on that controller? Stupid. They just couldn't bring themselves to put a second Z button on the left side. No, they just had to have ONE extra button on the right side. Made it a bitch for companies to port over titles from the PS2.
You shut your filthy whore mouth about the gamecube controller. The wavebird was the best controler ever. EVER!!!!!

EVER!!!!!!!!

Michael Corvin
05-03-11, 03:05 PM
Close, but no. As mentioned the single z button was awkward, the c-stick was a gimped analog stick and the octagon surrounding the analogs sucked. The bean buttons were 'take it or leave it.' Despite all that, it was probably the most comfortable controller though, and definitely set the standard for wireless.

PerryD
05-03-11, 03:12 PM
Hard drives are kind of obsolete technology. If this thing takes SD cards, then we can add and upgrade as much as we need. Look how much Microsoft charged for their hard drives, anyway, no real cost savings over SD media.

Drexl
05-03-11, 03:17 PM
Why does Nintendo always have to shoot themselves in the foot?

N64 was ready to kick all kinds of ass but then they decided to ditch CDs and stick with cartridges. Sure, it was a decent system, but it had so much more potential.

Although it would have helped with third-party support, don't assume that games would have looked much better if they had chosen CD-ROM. The N64 had some serious limitations, like a small texture cache and high latency for the RDRAM. Those wouldn't have been solved by adding a CD-ROM drive to the system as it was. I suppose the variety of textures used would have been greater, but the blurriness would have remained.

Anubis2005X
05-03-11, 03:40 PM
Although it would have helped with third-party support, don't assume that games would have looked much better if they had chosen CD-ROM. The N64 had some serious limitations, like a small texture cache and high latency for the RDRAM. Those wouldn't have been solved by adding a CD-ROM drive to the system as it was. I suppose the variety of textures used would have been greater, but the blurriness would have remained.

Nah, I wasn't referring to graphics. Was referring more to third-party support, FMV, etc. I feel like that's what really helped PlayStation establish itself back in the day...

spainlinx0
05-03-11, 03:46 PM
Yeah, I really missed all that FMV.

orangecrush
05-03-11, 03:49 PM
Close, but no. As mentioned the single z button was awkward, the c-stick was a gimped analog stick and the octagon surrounding the analogs sucked. The bean buttons were 'take it or leave it.' Despite all that, it was probably the most comfortable controller though, and definitely set the standard for wireless.I agree about the z button (though I think 4 triggers is mostly unneccesary). The c-stick was terrible. I actually liked the octagon because it was eaiser to get a "true left or right." I am a big fan of the button layout. All that said, I actually think the 360 controler is the best controller made thus far. Everything about it feels so good.

NiCK Crush
05-03-11, 03:51 PM
All that said, I actually think the 360 controler is the best controller made thus far. Everything about it feels so good.

Yikes.

Anubis2005X
05-03-11, 03:55 PM
Yeah, I really missed all that FMV.

Ha, I was kind of jealous at the time, but I survived with just my trusty N64. :)

Noonan
05-03-11, 03:56 PM
I think the 360 controller with a dualshock d-pad would be the ultimate controller. IMO, of course.

Anubis2005X
05-03-11, 03:57 PM
I liked the GCN controller save for the Z button. I haven't used a 360 controller much, but it seems pretty comfortable. Took me quite awhile before I got used to the Dual Shock 3, but I like it a lot now. Used to hate it with a passion...

mattysemo247
05-03-11, 07:49 PM
Yikes.

Yikes? Why Yikes? I'm sure many people would agree. I've owned pretty much every gaming system since the Genesis/SNES days and still think the 360 controller is pretty much the best out there. It doesn't have the best d pad, but the triggers, button layout, and form put it light years ahead of everything else out there.

Deftones
05-03-11, 08:00 PM
Yikes? Why Yikes? I'm sure many people would agree. I've owned pretty much every gaming system since the Genesis/SNES days and still think the 360 controller is pretty much the best out there. It doesn't have the best d pad, but the triggers, button layout, and form put it light years ahead of everything else out there.

If you haven't met Nick Crush, do a search for a few posts. He likes to be a contrarian.

fumanstan
05-03-11, 08:06 PM
360 Controller is the best i've used as well.

xmiyux
05-03-11, 08:15 PM
360 Controller is the best i've used as well.

Same here. The first controller to top the DC one imo.

Deftones
05-03-11, 08:51 PM
i will concur the 360 is the best. dpad could use some work but since that's rarely used in games i play, it's only a minor quibble.

Drexl
05-03-11, 09:11 PM
I think the 360 controller with a dualshock d-pad would be the ultimate controller. IMO, of course.

http://www.slashgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/ps360.jpg

What I like about this mod is how it retains the PS buttons. I don't care for how the 360 buttons are rounded on top instead of flat, which I find more confortable to use. I actually filed down the tops of the buttons on my Xbox controller S to get them flat.

NiCK Crush
05-03-11, 11:39 PM
If you haven't met Nick Crush, do a search for a few posts. He likes to be a contrarian.

I don't think that's fair. I just have my own opinions, is all.

fumanstan
05-03-11, 11:41 PM
What's so "yikes" about people liking the 360 controller then?

NiCK Crush
05-03-11, 11:44 PM
Alright, maybe we could of avoided this had I just explained myself. I'm just not a fan of it. The weight, the clunkiness... I've never been comfortable with it. But I've never been a XBOX guy, so that surely has something to do with it.

kstublen
05-04-11, 12:23 AM
For what it's worth, when I've played Xbox games with my friends, the controller has always been a major roadblock to my enjoyment of the game. Maybe it's just because I'm used to Nintendo and PlayStation controllers, but I didn't like the way it was set up.

LosingMyMind
05-04-11, 01:02 AM
Gamecube controller was my favorite. I don't really care for the xbox design. Project cafe controller is damn comfy.

NiCK Crush
05-04-11, 01:07 AM
Project cafe controller is damn comfy.

???

pinata242
05-04-11, 02:08 AM
Yeah, it's getting annoying isn't? Either blow your NDA or don't bother.

Michael Corvin
05-04-11, 08:03 AM
Another vote for 360 controller, hands down...best controller to date on any system. It only has two major cons in my book. One is the weight. I do agree, the thing is "clunky" in that regard, but definitely makes up for it in the ergonomic design and analog placement. Two is the aforementioned D-pad, which doesn't really bother me as it is rarely used. Everything else from the concave analogs, to triggers and shoulder buttons are just right. MS really nailed it, especially after the original xbox controller designs.

Fix those two things and maybe re-add a memory/USB/SD card slot in the controller and they would have a perfect controller next gen.

For what it's worth, when I've played Xbox games with my friends, the controller has always been a major roadblock to my enjoyment of the game. Maybe it's just because I'm used to Nintendo and PlayStation controllers, but I didn't like the way it was set up.

Alright, maybe we could of avoided this had I just explained myself. I'm just not a fan of it. The weight, the clunkiness... I've never been comfortable with it. But I've never been a XBOX guy, so that surely has something to do with it.

I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. If it's not a system you use on a regular basis then you aren't ever going to get used to it.

orangecrush
05-04-11, 10:33 AM
Another vote for 360 controller, hands down...best controller to date on any system. It only has two major cons in my book. One is the weight. I do agree, the thing is "clunky" in that regard, but definitely makes up for it in the ergonomic design and analog placement. Two is the aforementioned D-pad, which doesn't really bother me as it is rarely used. Everything else from the concave analogs, to triggers and shoulder buttons are just right. MS really nailed it, especially after the original xbox controller designs.

Fix those two things and maybe re-add a memory/USB/SD card slot in the controller and they would have a perfect controller next gen.
I actually like the weight. I play with it in my lap though, so that may make a difference.

van der graaf
05-04-11, 11:04 AM
Ah, you youngens'....THIS is the best controller ever:
http://www.axess.com/twilight/console/detail/genesisb.jpg

cartman
05-04-11, 11:16 AM
Six buttons for Street Fighter II!

Tracer Bullet
05-04-11, 11:16 AM
I hated the Genesis controller.

Michael Corvin
05-04-11, 11:20 AM

+1

None of those old pads were ever comfy. They got the job done but...yeah. Out of the 8-16 bit days, my vote would go to the SNES pad.

van der graaf
05-04-11, 11:27 AM

The regular one sucked, yes. But the six button (the pic I posted) was glorious.

Tracer Bullet
05-04-11, 11:37 AM
The regular one sucked, yes. But the six button (the pic I posted) was glorious.

Nope, they both sucked. The one you pictured was way too bulky.

fumanstan
05-04-11, 11:40 AM
I liked the 6 button Genesis controller too, I really like 6 face buttons more then triggers.

van der graaf
05-04-11, 11:56 AM
Nope, they both sucked. The one you pictured was way too bulky.
Heh? You have a nine year-old's girl's hands?

Groucho
05-04-11, 12:00 PM
Heh? You have a nine year-old's girl's hands?This is no laughing matter. That's probably the least scary thing in his basement of terrors.

Anubis2005X
05-04-11, 12:13 PM
I still would've liked to have tried out Sony's original boomerang controller. Oh well...

Michael Corvin
05-04-11, 12:17 PM
I still would've liked to have tried out Sony's original boomerang controller. Oh well...

You and me both. Any innovation by Sony would be better than no innovation in over a decade.

Tracer Bullet
05-04-11, 12:30 PM
Heh? You have a nine year-old's girl's hands?

Well, I was 9 at the time, so...

Pretty sure my penis was extant at the time, however.

NiCK Crush
05-04-11, 01:10 PM
I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. If it's not a system you use on a regular basis then you aren't ever going to get used to it.

Well that's why asking what your favorite controller is is pretty stupid. Of course you are going to choose your favorite consoles.

NiCK Crush
05-04-11, 01:12 PM
You and me both. Any innovation by Sony would be better than no innovation in over a decade.

Why change what works? The original XBOX controller was terrible, so they made an adjustment for 360 and it apparently was a better attempt. PlayStation had success with their design since day one. They added the analog sticks and the vibration and were done with it.

Don't fix what's not broken.

fumanstan
05-04-11, 01:44 PM
Well that's why asking what your favorite controller is is pretty stupid. Of course you are going to choose your favorite consoles.

I don't think that's true. You can enjoy a console but wish the controller was different.

Rob V
05-04-11, 01:47 PM
IMO, Sony could do much to make their controller better --- start by sizing it for adult males (your demographic) and move the LH thumb stick up.

shumway
05-04-11, 02:06 PM
I have large hands and prefer the playstation controller to the Xbox 360 one. The stereotype on this board is generally that if you like the playstation controller you must have small hands, bollocks that one.

Groucho
05-04-11, 02:07 PM
I prefer the playstation controller myself. Much easier to break in my bare hands when I read about yet another lapse in security.

Michael Corvin
05-04-11, 02:12 PM
Why change what works? The original XBOX controller was terrible, so they made an adjustment for 360 and it apparently was a better attempt. PlayStation had success with their design since day one. They added the analog sticks and the vibration and were done with it.

Don't fix what's not broken.

:horse:

The dual shock is an abomination. The only controller that's worse is the Dreamcast. It's not ergonomic in any fashion. The analog placement is also non-ergonomic. The triggers are awful. The convex analogs don't lend to keeping your thumbs in place. And finally...totally nitpicky but what the hell was wrong with A,B,X,Y? That was all marketing.

What was good in 1998 isn't quite as good in 2011 when everyone else has passed you by.

Not really.

redbill
05-04-11, 02:17 PM
Its almost as if you idiots who like the DualShock think personal taste is subjective.

Liver&Onions
05-04-11, 02:29 PM
This is starting to digress into a bullshit fanboy war, so before that happens. Knock it off with the personal insults, etc - and know that opinions are valid. Calling someone an idiot and fanboy because they prefer one CONTROLLER of another is not valid.

For the record - I disliked the feel of the Dualshock from the moment I used it back in the late 1990s, still don't like it. But at that time, it was way better than the godawful N64 controller. Also, I hated the Dreamcast controller.

orangecrush
05-04-11, 02:29 PM
I hated the Genesis controller.Agreed. The directional pad was floaty and hurty.

orangecrush
05-04-11, 02:33 PM
This is starting to digress into a bullshit fanboy war, so before that happens. Knock it off with the personal insults, etc - and know that opinions are valid. Calling someone an idiot and fanboy because they prefer one CONTROLLER of another is not valid.

For the record - I disliked the feel of the Dualshock from the moment I used it back in the late 1990s, still don't like it. But at that time, it was way better than the godawful N64 controller. Also, I hated the Dreamcast controller.I think redbill was being sarcastic.

pinata242
05-04-11, 02:37 PM
He was (and L&O knows he was), but it is a slippery slope.

Michael Corvin
05-04-11, 02:38 PM

why not break this off into a controller discussion thread. THere's not much Wii2 news and the controller talk will likely continue.

For the record - I disliked the feel of the Dualshock from the moment I used it back in the late 1990s, still don't like it. But at that time, it was way better than the godawful N64 controller. Also, I hated the Dreamcast controller.

:lol: I loved the N64 controller.

Liver&Onions
05-04-11, 02:42 PM
He was (and L&O knows he was), but it is a slippery slope.

This.

orangecrush
05-04-11, 02:46 PM
This.Sure you did. ;)

Anubis2005X
05-04-11, 02:46 PM
:lol: I loved the N64 controller.

I thought it was fine when I had it, but the GCN controller destroyed any enjoyment i once had for it. Although, I do like that it basically has six buttons for your right thumb. Awesome controller for Killer Instinct Gold back in the day.

Michael Corvin
05-04-11, 02:48 PM
I thought it was fine when I had it, but the GCN controller destroyed any enjoyment i once had for it.

True, but for what it was at the time, it was awesome.

atxbomber
05-04-11, 03:57 PM
The original XBOX controller was terrible,

The "duke" is still my favorite controller, because it remains the only one large enough that my hands don't cramp after an hour or two of playing.

Groucho
05-04-11, 05:43 PM
Nobody who owned the original Mario Party games has love for the N64 controller.

Michael Corvin
05-04-11, 06:29 PM
Nobody who owned the original Mario Party games has love for the N64 controller.

I loved it... blisters and all. :lol:

xmiyux
05-04-11, 07:03 PM
:horse:
The only controller that's worse is the Dreamcast.

Wrong! The DC controller was great.

Also, we need more Live in Rock Band.

GreenMonkey
05-04-11, 09:46 PM
The Saturn controller was the best analog pad ever (better than the 6-button Genesis controller). Either Saturn controller was awesome.

I like the Xbox controller plenty, but it has some flaws. The giant Xbox button is too easy to hit if your finger slips from the analog stick. The d-pad is terrible, terrible, terrible - especially for fighting games and such that need it.

I also find it isn't as durable as older controllers. My first controller analog started "sticking" once in a while - you could let go of the stick and it would keep moving anyway. I have one with the ridges on the analog stick face are worn completely off and the right shoulder button is no longer 100% dependable to register. Etc.

The Gamecube controller had a great design idea - very ergonomic button setup, comfy to hold, easy to identify buttons in the dark/by feel, easy to perform A button + another button with the thumb, etc. I would say it was the closest to perfect, but they needed to cram a couple of extra buttons on there.

NiCK Crush
05-04-11, 11:49 PM
Its almost as if you idiots who like the DualShock think personal taste is subjective.

Name calling concerning the preference of a video game controller. Fantastic.

Quack
05-04-11, 11:55 PM
Fandango can you post some more :drool: pictures please! :)

NiCK Crush
05-12-11, 02:56 AM
Possibly being released early 2012?

http://mynintendonews.com/2011/05/10/nintendo-wii-2-nintendo-wii-2-project-cafe-being-released-in-early-2012-according-to-majesco/

pinata242
05-12-11, 03:00 AM
That's actually a brilliant idea for many reasons. 1) It gets the jump on MS and Sony at E3 2012. 2) Any hardware shortages would be worked out by the holiday season.

They release the DS models early in the year and this would cause a more steady revenue cycle than going 18 months with nothing shiny and new out there.

Drexl
05-12-11, 03:05 AM
Not so fast. The author took "to-be-announced" platform to mean an upcoming platform not announced yet. But, I think most of us would assume it could be some other existing platform, for which they haven't announced a version of ZF2. For instance, you would think it will be released on one of the other consoles.

Perhaps this means it's only coming to either 360 or PS3, whichever sold more copies of the original (probably 360).

pinata242
05-12-11, 03:15 AM
When I first read it, I tried to read it the way you say "most of us would". I can't. The only way I can is if they know for sure they can't even mention the new Nintendo is coming, but Nintendo has already confirmed it. No harm there.

Sure, it could be they're keeping "ZF2 for Kinect" a secret, but, why...?

Michael Corvin
07-05-11, 10:00 PM
Nintendo marches on without a unified online service. (http://i.joystiq.com/2011/07/05/reggie-wii-us-online-functionality-will-be-flexible-for-publ/) Reggie wants to give PS2 a serious challenger in online gaming.

*WiiU 56k modem sold separately.

MoviePage
07-05-11, 10:15 PM
:lol: Wow.

Supermallet
07-05-11, 10:47 PM
Nintendo is "creating a much more flexible system," Fils-Aime said, "that will allow the best approaches by independent publishers to come to bear. So instead of a situation where a publisher has their own network and wants that to be the predominant platform, and having arguments with platform holders, we're going to welcome that. We're going to welcome that from the best and the brightest of the third party publishers."

In other words, we couldn't be bothered to do the work ourselves, so we're farming it out to everyone else!

Mazje
07-05-11, 11:51 PM
:brickwl2:

Anubis2005X
07-06-11, 12:03 AM
Sigh, they've always gotta F something up. Oh well, as long as they bust out some new Mario and Zelda it'll be a nice second system...

edstein
07-06-11, 12:05 AM
Considering the shit Sony just went through this might not be a bad idea. Now if people's accounts gets hacked Nintendo can say "not our fault".

kstublen
07-06-11, 12:10 AM
What the hell is wrong with Nintendo?

slop101
07-06-11, 12:43 AM
What the hell is wrong with Nintendo?They know how to make money without spending much.

Deadman31
07-06-11, 07:05 AM
Best controller ever

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/6401/nesxsv.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/nesxsv.jpg/)

Michael Corvin
07-06-11, 08:08 AM
What the hell is wrong with Nintendo?

Nintendo's efforts to ward off the final vestiges of their hardcore fans may be working.

Groucho
07-06-11, 10:01 AM
Nintendo marches on without a unified online service. (http://i.joystiq.com/2011/07/05/reggie-wii-us-online-functionality-will-be-flexible-for-publ/)What is this I don't even

RichC2
05-24-12, 03:02 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-aDY7DwaAY1Q/TeqOcVHDrjI/AAAAAAAAD9o/hfpNcJVY_EM/s1600/The5thNintendoElement.gif

...Ruby Rhod is oddly fitting to Nintendo.

Deftones
05-24-12, 03:35 PM
as someone who absolutely loves that movie, that's awesome. :lol:

Michael Corvin
05-24-12, 03:44 PM
:lol:

but Pikmin 3 AND Eternal Darkness 2? Motherfucker. Might be in at a price drop.

pinata242
05-24-12, 03:54 PM
Yeah and if Kingdom Hearts 3 is real, I won't have a choice.

Decker
05-24-12, 03:59 PM
Yeah and if Kingdom Hearts 3 is real, I won't have a choice.

You mean if Kingdom Hearts 3 is exclusive to the Wii U, and it's won't be. No way.

Drexl
05-24-12, 04:02 PM
Half-Life 3 and a Kingdom Hearts on a home console = obvious speculation.

pinata242
05-24-12, 04:02 PM
Well, even if it's mutli with PS, it's still a shift to a more desirable exclusive base. I'm more likely to cave on Nintendo for Metroid, Pikmin, Zelda, ED2, etc, etc than PS for God of War.

UncleGramps
05-24-12, 08:15 PM
When did this Eternal Darkness 2 rumor start? I hope there's some truth to that. If not, shame on you all for toying with my emotions like that.

RichC2
05-24-12, 08:19 PM
When did this Eternal Darkness 2 rumor start? I hope there's some truth to that. If not, shame on you all for toying with my emotions like that.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2011/11/16/eternal-darkness-2-for-wii-u-hinted-as-in-development-by-silicon-knights.htm

Drexl
06-02-12, 09:03 PM
Not official, but it looks like they're going to have a real online service:

The Wii U will be getting achievements, cloud storage, social networking, avatars, and much more, according to a developer Wii U Daily spoke to. The source, working at a European development house with several Wii U projects in the pipeline, says Nintendo will unveil many of the new Nintendo Network features at E3 next week. Here’s a run down of the rumored features:
Wii U achievements
Nintendo will introduce an achievement system where players can earn achievements in games much like Xbox Live and PlayStation Trophies. However, Nintendo is said to be expanding the service where players who accumulate a certain amount of points get access to additional features. “We have a lot of freedom with the Wii U points system, we can add “brackets” for players, e.g. if you amass X points you get promoted into a new bracket with awards such as new MP [multiplayer] skins”. While the source called the feature “Wii U points”, he made it clear that Nintendo hasn’t settled on a name. “It’s basically what we’ve been asking Microsoft to do for years. Players who earn points by completing the game should be awarded. We can do that now”.
Wii U cloud storage
We previously reported about Wii U cloud storage, we have some more details on that. The cloud storage option will be “a few hundred MB”, will be free to all players, and will only be used to store save games and player profiles. It’ll launch in 2013.
Social networking
Nintendo will also add “deep integration” of social networking features to the Wii U, including both Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook. Players will be able to upload screenshots to their Facebook accounts, auto-Tweet game progress, and record and upload game videos to YouTube. “They’re working on a UI overlay for the OS to add Twitter and FB notifications, but so far we haven’t seen it. They’ve reserved a lot of system memory for stuff like that”, the developer told us. “There isn’t much documentation about it in the new SKD, but they’ve told us it’ll be available in the future”.
Wii U avatars
Nintendo Network on Wii U will introduce new avatars with a lot more features than the original Mii avatars on the Wii console. Players will be able to use the Wii U controller’s built-in camera to take pictures of themselves and create digital avatars that resemble high-definition Miis. The Miis can then be imported into games. “There’s an API for the camera to scan faces and turn them into low-res 3D versions for games. But it’s still buggy as hell and it depends a lot on the kind of engine you’re running”, the source said.
Wii U development and game ports
Additionally, the source mentioned that porting current gen games to the Wii U isn’t as easy as originally thought, and that games that have been developed for the Xbox 360 are “much easier to port to Wii U than PS3 versions. A lot less headache involved because their architecture is similar. Technically, you can just recompile X360 to the Wii U and it’ll pretty much run, but PS3 to Wii U is much much trickier.” He said that the latest SDK hardware is final, only the software keeps updating.
“We’ve spent a lot of time creating our own tools for the X360 this generation, and we’ve already tweaked a lot of the tools to work on the Wii U. But if you code on the Wii U from ground up and have to use middleware, it’s probably gonna be tougher than doing an X360 game from ground up.”

http://wiiudaily.com/2012/06/wii-u-getting-achievements-cloud-storage-social-networking/

BTW, this may be a nitpick, but I'm getting tired of everything online being called "cloud." If game saves are automatically transferred to and retrieved from an online server, that's cloud. If I have to upload saves manually, that's not cloud.

But anyway, it sounds like Nintendo is getting their act together, at least for online services.

xmiyux
06-02-12, 09:15 PM
More things that will spam Twitter and Facebook newsfeeds with updated game progress make me want to hurt someone.

Mike86
06-02-12, 09:20 PM

mhg83
06-03-12, 01:52 AM
The Achievements idea sounds cool. Always thought Microsoft's was pointless and just a way to brag about who's the bigger nerd :lol:

pinata242
06-03-12, 03:46 AM
I'm sure those rewards are "per game" and they won't transcend across the board. You won't be able to have 12,000 "Wii U Points" in 15 games and automatically unlock shit in game #16. Read between the lines, people, you're not that dumb in Twenty-Doz, are you?

Supermallet
06-03-12, 04:35 PM

but Pikmin 3 AND Eternal Darkness 2? Motherfucker. Might be in at a price drop.

Eternal Darkness 2?!

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4nhcgyxz91qbju49.jpg

Gizmo
06-03-12, 06:17 PM
Anyone watching?

This looks amazing

Quack
06-03-12, 06:35 PM
Yea, I was checking it out. Liking it all so far! Especially the black Xbox controller you can get for it! ;)

Does look pretty sweet though, I like the video chat with it as well.

Gizmo
06-03-12, 06:36 PM
The Social elements look pretty cool. Plus we are getting it in Black.

No doubt I will buy this...just hope all my VC stuff transfers over.

Quack
06-03-12, 06:41 PM
The Nintendo Network was looking pretty cool too when they mentioned generations of Nintendo...I was kinda hoping it was going backwards, but looks like it's more about the future.

Mike86
06-03-12, 06:58 PM
Eh...it might look cool but I really don't trust Nintendo anymore. If I bother to check it out I'd read a ton of reviews once it's actually out and wait until it's got at least 5-10 games I'd want for it. As much as I like their exclusives I don't want this to be another Wii where I basically feel like I threw $250 plus out the window.

redrum
06-03-12, 07:01 PM
ya cool hardware doesn't matter if you don't have games to use it for

Gizmo
06-03-12, 07:49 PM
ya cool hardware doesn't matter if you don't have games to use it for

It's not even out yet.

Wii had plenty of games for it - many of which I enjoyed.

Schloob1
06-03-12, 07:56 PM
The pre-E3 show was alright actually. In regards to finally having internet connectivity, about freaking time Nintendo you are only like 5+ years behind ;) Their ideas to enhance though were pretty cool IMO. No matter what though I don't see getting this anytime soon until a price drop. Seriously I don't see how this thing launches for less than $400. Gets down to $250 will probably be my pricepoint, by then they'll probably decide to have it in black.

Gizmo
06-03-12, 08:07 PM
The pre-E3 show was alright actually. In regards to finally having internet connectivity, about freaking time Nintendo you are only like 5+ years behind ;) Their ideas to enhance though were pretty cool IMO. No matter what though I don't see getting this anytime soon until a price drop. Seriously I don't see how this thing launches for less than $400. Gets down to $250 will probably be my pricepoint, by then they'll probably decide to have it in black.

There is no way this will launch at $400. Nintendo can't be that stupid. They've already seen how Sony launched at $500/$600 and went from #1 to #3. No console should launch at $400....period.

I see this at $299.99.

Mike86
06-03-12, 08:10 PM
It's not even out yet.

Wii had plenty of games for it - many of which I enjoyed.
I like Nintendo a lot. They've got some of the best franchises easily in the history of video games and their importance can't be stated enough to modern game consoles, but honestly the Wii was a big time disappointment to me at least. It has some decent games yes but overall I don't feel it was enough to justify my purchase. Just way too gimmicky with the controller and it really felt kind of half assed. Granted I realize that the audience they aimed for might have been satisfied but it feels like they isolated a lot of their core fans while trying to go for the younger/more mainstream crowd. I guess I've just got mixed feelings on buying anything else from them in the near future.

Michael Corvin
06-03-12, 08:20 PM
There is no way this will launch at $400. Nintendo can't be that stupid. They've already seen how Sony launched at $500/$600 and went from #1 to #3. No console should launch at $400....period.

I see this at $299.99.

Xbox launched at $400 and did just fine. Half a grand seems to be the breaking point.

Gizmo
06-03-12, 08:25 PM
Xbox launched at $400 and did just fine. Half a grand seems to be the breaking point.

They sure did - 6+ years ago. They also had a base unit system at $300...

So no, I don't think $400 is an acceptable launch price anymore.

Drexl
06-03-12, 08:26 PM
That hardcore controller looks pretty good! I hope the bumpers are less "clicky" than the 360's bumpers. One potential issue: does it have analog triggers? It kinda looks like it doesn't.

As for the console price, I'd say it depends on how powerful it is. If it's on par with the 360/PS3, it really shouldn't cost $400. If it's more powerful, they could go higher.

Schloob1
06-03-12, 10:03 PM
That hardcore controller looks pretty good! I hope the bumpers are less "clicky" than the 360's bumpers. One potential issue: does it have analog triggers? It kinda looks like it doesn't.

As for the console price, I'd say it depends on how powerful it is. If it's on par with the 360/PS3, it really shouldn't cost $400. If it's more powerful, they could go higher.

Don't forget about that controller though. Seeing as how a basic 360 controller is $50, how in the world is the WiiU controller not at least $1-125? Mind you talking the main touch screen one of course.

Gizmo
06-03-12, 10:07 PM
Don't forget about that controller though. Seeing as how a basic 360 controller is $50, how in the world is the WiiU controller not at least $1-125? Mind you talking the main touch screen one of course.

Touch screens have dropped in price though. A refurbed Amazon Fire is like $140. Wii U is sorta Wii stuff anyways....

Schloob1
06-03-12, 10:51 PM
They sure did - 6+ years ago. They also had a base unit system at $300...

So no, I don't think $400 is an acceptable launch price anymore.

But can they really come out with a "base" unit system for only this much? If it can come out at $300 that would be awesome, I could see getting it within 2 years of launch then possibly. As I could see them price-dropping at the time that the other 2 would be then be bringing out their new consoles at that time. I could possibly see them launch at $350 with, if they are smart, packing it with that Mario game that was in the video today. Should be interesting to say the least as to how this pans out. Hopefully we'll at least get specs this week, but doubt we'll see a price/launch date, guessing a November launch though.

Matthew Chmiel
06-03-12, 11:03 PM
For those stating they're going to get the console at the first price drop, just current-generation console pricing for a history lesson:

Wii
11/2006: $249 launch price.
09/2009: $199 retail price; $50 price drop 34 months after initial launch.
05/2011: $149 retail price; $50 price drop 20 months after first price drop.

TL;DR: On average, Nintendo drops the price on a Wii every 27 months. I'd expect another $50 price drop coming within the next 6 months.

Xbox 360
11/2005: $299 launch price for Core model, $399 launch price for 20GB Elite system.
04/2007: 120GB Elite model launches for $479.
08/2007: $279 retail price for Core ($20 price drop), $349 retail price for 20GB Elite ($50 price drop) and $449 retail price for Elite ($20 price drop). First price drops occurs 21 months after launch.
11/2007: Core is now discontinued, replaced with Arcade for same retail price.
07/2008: Original 20GB Elite is now discontinued and retails for $299 ($50 price drop). Second price drop occurs 11 months after first drop.
09/2008: 60GB Pro model is launched. $199 retail price for Arcade ($80 price drop) and $399 retail price for 120GB Elite ($50 price drop). Second price drop occurs 13 months after first drop.
08/2009: 60GB Pro is discounted and retails for $249 ($50 price drop). 120GB Elite is redesigned and re-priced at $299 ($100 price drop). Third price drop occurs 11 months after second drop.

TL;DR: Not including hardware refreshes, on average, Microsoft drops the price on a Xbox 360 every 14 months.

PS3
11/2006: $499 launch price for 20GB model, $599 launch price for 60GB model.
04/2007: 20GB is discontinued, no official price drop occurs.
07/2007: $499 retail price for 60GB model ($100 price drop). First price drop occurs 8 months after launch.
08/2007: 80GB model launches for $599.
10/2007: 60GB is discontinued, no price drop occurs. $499 retail price for 80GB model ($100 price drop). First price drop 2 months after launch.
11/2007: 40GB model launches for $399.
09/2008: 40GB model is discontinued, no official price drop occurs. $399 retail price for 80GB model ($100 price drop). Second price drop occurs 11 months after first drop.
11/2008: 160GB model launches for $499.
08/2009: 120GB model launches for $299. $299 retail price for now discontinued 80GB model ($100 price drop), $399 retail price for 160GB model ($100 price drop). Third price drop occurs 11 months after launch, first price drop occurs 9 months after launch.
08/2010: 120GB model is discontinued, no official price drop occurs. 160GB model launches for $299, 320GB model launches for $399.
08/2011: $249 retail price for 160GB model ($50 price drop), $299 retail price for 320GB model ($100 price drop). First price drop occurs 12 months after launch.

TL;DR: Not including hardware refreshes, on average, Sony drops the price on a PS3 every 8 months. Depending on where you look, one can find the 160GB PS3 brand new at $199, undercutting Sony's MSRP by $50.

Yes, Nintendo did drop the price on the 3DS within four months of launch. However, the 3DS started out as a flop right out the door unlike the Wii. If the Wii U sees traction similar to that of the Wii, it might be awhile before we see the first price drop. If the Wii U sees traction similar to the 3DS, well, expect a price drop around E3 next year.

;)

Personally, I believe Nintendo realizes they're going to have to take a hit on the hardware right out the door a la Microsoft and their failed pricing with the 3DS. If the Wii U costs more than $299, I'd be shocked.

TheBigDave
06-05-12, 01:11 AM
Saw this at Crunchyroll today:

Nikkei* has some interesting news regarding future Nintendo announcements, both on the portable and home console front. According to their report, Nintendo plans to announce a 3DS with a larger screen, and the Wii U is projected to debut at a ¥30,000 price point.

While Nintendo previously stated they wouldn't be announcing pricing at E3, Nikkei has the company's new console, Wii U, priced at ¥30,000 (about $383). Andriasang compares that to PlayStation 3's 160GB MSRP of ¥24,980 ($319), and Wii's ¥20,000 ($255).

FULL ARTICLE - http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/06/04/rumor-nintendos-wii-u-priced-larger-3ds-screen-incoming

RichC2
06-05-12, 09:39 AM
A $383 Japanese price will likely translate to a $349 US price.

Gizmo
06-05-12, 10:05 AM
A $383 Japanese price will likely translate to a $349 US price.

Still seems like Nintendo knows better after the 3DS. Guess we (hopefully) will know in a few hours.

Deftones
06-05-12, 10:25 AM
nintendo said (IIRC) they aren't talking prices. Just games.

RichC2
06-05-12, 10:50 AM
Still seems like Nintendo knows better after the 3DS. Guess we (hopefully) will know in a few hours.

Handheld vs. Console.

The 3DS looked and felt like a $129 game unit (graphically comparing against mid-level tablets/mp3 players/phones), I was pretty surprised by the actual price.

flashburn
06-05-12, 11:52 AM
Anyone have a good feed for the press conference? GameTrailer's is lagging like a mofo for me.

pinata242
06-05-12, 11:53 AM
Anyone have a good feed for the press conference? GameTrailer's is lagging like a mofo for me.

Ditto. I was just going to the E3 thread to ask the same question.

flashburn
06-05-12, 11:54 AM
Ditto. I was just going to the E3 thread to ask the same question.

Lets hang out in that thread instead, it's where all the cool people are at.

Anubis2005X
06-05-12, 12:11 PM
If Eternal Darkness 2 is accurate, I'm in.

Groucho
06-05-12, 12:22 PM
Wow, they announced this a year ago and still not out?

Deftones
06-05-12, 12:26 PM
if they incorporate the new wii u controller in a cool way with batman: arkham city, i'd consider buying it again to play.

Deftones
06-05-12, 12:44 PM
fwiw, rumored specs for the Wii U: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/5/3065527/rumored-wii-u-specs-leak-ahead-e3-event-three-core-powerpc-chip

It's just moments away from Nintendo's E3 2012 event and the first official details of the Wii U, but it looks like detailed specs have already leaked out in a post on VGleaks. If they're true, the Wii U will be very similar to the Xbox 360, with a three-core PowerPC chip, 1.5GB of RAM, and 32MB of EDRAM. That sounds about right, but we're sure to find out more during the event. Stay tuned.

pinata242
06-05-12, 01:13 PM
I want Pikmin 3, but not near enough for the hardware.

jeffdsmith
06-06-12, 12:08 AM
pikmin....

Michael Corvin
06-06-12, 01:15 AM
I want Pikmin 3, but not near enough for the hardware.

Same here. Grab Pikmin 2 rerelease instead.

Price drop man, price drop. It's funny thinking that when we don't even know the price. Just whatever the price is, it's too much. :lol:

Frenzy
06-06-12, 08:26 AM
http://i.minus.com/jwnKngLN77llf.jpg

mhg83
06-06-12, 02:30 PM
Did anyone else think NIntendo Land sounded like an actual Nintendo Theme Park? :lol: I think I'm gonna buy Wii U at launch. I didn't think Nintendos press conference was bad. They showed a lot of great core games. Yeah the Arkam City is old but they're just trying to play catch up. I have no problem with N showing casual games. It's where they make the most money.

windom
06-08-12, 03:39 PM
What technology does the Wii U used to stream video to the GamePad? What is the range? If I have my Wii on the first floor of my house can one of my kids take the GamePad upstairs to play a game using the GamePad screen?

flashburn
06-08-12, 03:47 PM
What technology does the Wii U used to stream video to the GamePad? What is the range? If I have my Wii on the first floor of my house can one of my kids take the GamePad upstairs to play a game using the GamePad screen?

Wireless HDMI I believe. Not sure what the range is on it.

edit: Well, it seems like "Wireless HDMI" is not an actual tech... from Wikipedia: "Wireless HDMI is a colloquial term for wireless high-definition audio and video signals connectivity on consumer electronics products."
So then, nevermind. I don't think Nintendo has revealed the details behind their wireless video/audio tech.

glassdragon
06-09-12, 09:34 PM
Prices are starting to get listed on uk sites

Shopto has it at £279.85 which is about 433.13 US
GAME’s Swedish website has the console listed for 4,995 Krona (£450). In US dollars, this is around $696.49.
The controllers – which have undergone a redesign – are listed for 1,499 Krona (£135), or $209.

http://gamerant.com/wii-u-controller-price-listed-mole-154024/

Such different pricing and the fact that us ones may be cheaper is a valid point, but at these prices if they come to the us at these prices then WiiU is going to fail.

Mike86
06-09-12, 09:45 PM
Ouch if that's true..who would want to pay that much for essentially Nintendo's version of the current gen consoles?? Granted I know they have the built in fans who will buy anything and they'll probably market it to the casual gamer/kids again but still Microsoft and Sony are probably not far behind with their next consoles. Not to mention that controller price. Although I would hope Nintendo has a bit more common sense than to price them that high or have the option for a cheaper controller.

PerryD
06-09-12, 10:21 PM
If the WiiU is more than $249, I'll eat my 3DS. I just do not see Nintendo charging that much.

glassdragon
06-09-12, 11:36 PM
If the WiiU is more than $249, I'll eat my 3DS. I just do not see Nintendo charging that much.

Nintendo has proven many times that it is out of touch with it's fanbase and current technologies. That said, can we get a video of you eating your 3ds if this proves to be true? :P

mhg83
06-10-12, 12:11 AM

I think it'll debut at $300-$350 range with Nintendoland packed in.

pinata242
06-10-12, 01:18 AM
$349 no Nintendoland, but something. I want to see a 3DS eaten.

My Other Self
06-10-12, 01:37 AM
I can't believe I'm saying this since I've supported Nintendo as long as I've been alive but the Wii U doesn't interest me. Something just doesn't resonate with me that I need to own it. I've owned all their consoles but for whatever reason this time around, I'm not excited.

The fact that this will most likely be close to $300 doesn't help. I don't see enough there to warrant a high launch price as it is.

PerryD
06-10-12, 07:13 AM
I have to admit that I guessed wrong on the 3DS, thinking that Nintendo would not charge more than $199 for a handheld. But I was half right, with the quick price drop. With the new controller, perhaps Nintendo can try to justify a higher price on the WiiU, but I believe since they are using current gen hardware to keep costs affordable, and they had tremendous success at the $249 price for the Wii.

flair
06-10-12, 01:25 PM
I can't believe I'm saying this since I've supported Nintendo as long as I've been alive but the Wii U doesn't interest me. Something just doesn't resonate with me that I need to own it. I've owned all their consoles but for whatever reason this time around, I'm not excited.

The fact that this will most likely be close to $300 doesn't help. I don't see enough there to warrant a high launch price as it is.

Same here. I've been a Nintendo fanboy since the NES and I've bought every console they've made on or near launch, but I don't see myself buying this. It just doesn't seem fun.

glassdragon
06-10-12, 02:42 PM
I have to admit that I guessed wrong on the 3DS, thinking that Nintendo would not charge more than $199 for a handheld. But I was half right, with the quick price drop. With the new controller, perhaps Nintendo can try to justify a higher price on the WiiU, but I believe since they are using current gen hardware to keep costs affordable, and they had tremendous success at the $249 price for the Wii.

Ah I see, someone doesn't want to eat their 3DS ;)

kurupt
06-10-12, 04:01 PM
Being that it's a pretty terrible time to release a new console with the assumed specs of the Wii U, I think Wii U has to be attractive both in terms of competitive pricing (under $300, but probably better at $250) and launch AAA 'must play' titles available (like Zelda TP with the Wii). Their E3 showing was kind of alright, but none the titles that they showed really screamed 'first day purchase' to me, so I think they missed the boat on that front. That leaves the price because if it's priced too high and they don't have any tremendous launch games (and I don't count Pikmin 3 as a tremendous title), why would gamers not wait a bit for the next Playstation and/or XBox consoles? That said, I'll be ready to early adopt the system if any new and intriguing info comes out concerning games, price, and truly innovative uses of the tablet gamepad.

glassdragon
06-10-12, 05:13 PM
A site I go to got to play the Arkham city Armored edition at E3 and they said that while the tablet features were cool, the game had a noticeable graphics drop and only UBI was able to make the ps3/360 look just as good on wii with AC3. So that means that AC3 is a bit lower than AC in the graphics department allowing them to do that, or Rocksteady just isn't fully up on how to program for it yet. If it's the former then this doesn't bode well since it can't even handle ps3/360 top of the line graphics well.

slop101
06-11-12, 05:46 PM
Here's a good article on why Nintendo has lost it's fucking mind. (http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-we-know-nintendo-has-lost-its-mind/)

And no, it's not a very funny article (someone always has to pipe in and say how a Cracked article isn't funny), but it makes some good points and raises legitimate concerns as to the future of console gaming, which looks to be getting more and more annoying.

kefrank
06-11-12, 06:18 PM
I've been trying to decide what I think of the WiiU based on what we saw from E3. After some reflection, I'm firmly in the "this looks pretty bad for Nintendo" camp. I had a pretty open mind about the Gamepad after last year's tech demos, but the more I think about it, the more I believe it's a really bad idea. It seems like Nintendo believes this controller somehow serves both the casual party game crowd and the core gamer, but I think it will mostly end up annoying both.

Nintendo really touted the "asymmetric gameplay" that the Gamepad makes possible. While the concept is mildly compelling, it's basically just an enhancement for local multi-player party games. Granted, the Wii made a mint off of the local multi-player party game emphasis and I don't begrudge Nintendo for wanting to continue along that trajectory, but the Gamepad adds unnecessary complexity and cost - two things that don't jive well with the casual crowd. The other uses shown for the Gamepad were "enhancements" to the single-player experience in hardcore games that looked more like clunky gimmicks that would drag the experience down. Maybe they have some really great killer app to demonstrate how useful and innovative the Gamepad can be that just isn't ready to show yet, but if they thought anything they showed at E3 fit that bill, then they're in trouble. The underlying problem with the Gamepad is that it adds unnecessary complexity for the sake of features that range from minor to obnoxious - with none being true selling points.

kurupt
06-11-12, 07:46 PM
Here's a good article on why Nintendo has lost it's fucking mind. (http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-we-know-nintendo-has-lost-its-mind/)

And no, it's not a very funny article (someone always has to pipe in and say how a Cracked article isn't funny), but it makes some good points and raises legitimate concerns as to the future of console gaming, which looks to be getting more and more annoying.

I think the Luigi's Mansion example of "asymmetric gameplay" (I don't think it's possible to write that term without using "" marks) actually sounds pretty fun for both types of controller...but the other ones they laid out seem extremely lame and gimmicky.

My Other Self
06-13-12, 01:54 AM
This system really needed to differentiate it self from the Wii if they're trying to get hardcore gamers back. Calling it the Wii U is silly, because the Wii was revolutionary at the time and appealed to the masses whereas this thing... I don't know who it appeals to. Do hardcore gamers like the pad? Do casual gamers like it?

Looking at more and more footage I'm less and less interested. I guess I'm not in to technology as much as I used to be because I just want a simple controller and good graphics. Batman: Arkham City as a launch title that doesn't even look as good as the PS3 or Xbox 360? How is that even possible? What has Nintendo been working on all this time? They announced the stupid console over a year ago and it doesn't seem like they've done anything to actually start the next generation of consoles.

If the pricing structures are accurate, Nintendo will have a bomb. The GameCube sold poorly when compared to the PS2 and Xbox but this could make or break the company, couldn't it?

RichC2
06-13-12, 09:31 AM
Wii didn't have mass appeal, Bowling and Tennis had mass appeal.

I hate to think how the Wii would have done at first without bowling.

Michael Corvin
06-13-12, 10:06 AM
Wii didn't have mass appeal, Bowling and Tennis had mass appeal.

I've never seen it simplified quite that far, but you make a lot of sense. :)

Daryl
08-06-12, 02:18 PM
I had a chance to go to the Wii-U Experience in Atlanta over the weekend - I took my two kids. If you want a longer detailed write-up, someone else did one here:

http://www.examiner.com/article/wii-u-hands-on-impressions-from-wii-u-experience-atlanta-event

My quick thoughts:
- Overall I had a good time, my kids loved it from start to finish, even my oldest boy who likes to put on a "I hate it" front about everything.

- My two favorites were the Luigi's Ghost Mansion part of Nintendo Land (a ton of fun with 5 people) and the new SMB-U - while not particularly groundbreaking, it's still Mario. My kids liked the helper aspect of using the GamePad for that more than I did. Also, I've never been big into Pikmin, but I found Pikmin 3 to be a lot of fun.

- Honestly, I watched my kids play more than play myself, but Project P-100 and Zombie-U looked like a lot of fun as well, games I would get at launch.

- My youngest son probably spent 30 minutes on the new Scribblenauts game, I had to drag him away to try other stuff. So that one was a winner. He's also a Batman Arkham City/Asylum master, and he said the Wii-U edition of City was incredible.

- we did not try Wii-Fit or Just Dance or Sing. Not our cup of tea (in public, at least! ;) )

- Didn't really care for a lot of the mini-games in Nintendo Land or the untitled Wario game. The Wario title was OK I guess, but I couldn't imagine spending more than $15 on it, unless there was a LOT more. Nintendo Land was hit or miss, a lot of the games seemed cute, but didn't seem to lend themselves to any longevity, like the Ninja throwing star game or the Donkey Kong crash course game.

- The new gamepad was very cool and mesmerizing - I often found myself getting "yelled" at by the controller to look up at the TV for my next steps :lol:

- Two gamepad red flags:
1. Often (to an annoying degree) we had to pause the game to recalibrate the controller. Or the game slowly become off-center to where you were actually pointing the controller to the left/right of the TV just to center your cursor/aim. It was much worse than any Wiimote problems I've ever experienced. However, this was possibly because the controller was wired to the console (to prevent theft) so you had to stand close to the console/TV to play. I'm willing to believe that this is less of a problem when you're 8+ feet away on your couch.

2. As i said, i didn't play too many games, yet I found that two of the gamepads I did use were already having screen defects. One controller had a pink splotch on the screen (about the size of a fingerprint), and another one had a fair amount of what looked like dead pixels. i know these controllers are being used at multiple events like this, but still - hopefully they are more resiliant than that, especially since I assume they will be north of $100 to replace

- my only other dissappointment, and this was expected I guess, so many games were simply of the "use the old Wiimote/Nunchuk to play, and here are some HD graphics" variety. A fair amount of been there/done that feeling. It will sell well, no doubt, but IMO like the Wii there's still gonna need to be more to get someone to buy the Wii-U version of a game that is also out for the 360/PS3. My son said Batman Arkham City Armored Edition had enough to make him want to play that version even though he's sunk 100's of hours into the PS3 version, so we'll see.

Michael Corvin
08-06-12, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the write up. Someone over on CAG gave the <s>360</s>Classic Controller Pro high marks. Did you give that a try as well?

- Two gamepad red flags:
1. Often (to an annoying degree) we had to pause the game to recalibrate the controller.

I always forget about this when I do hop into a Wii game. I hadn't even considered that the tablet would have the same problems. Ugh. So after 5 years they didn't advance the Wiimote detection? Definite red flag to me as well.

2. As i said, i didn't play too many games, yet I found that two of the gamepads I did use were already having screen defects. One controller had a pink splotch on the screen (about the size of a fingerprint), and another one had a fair amount of what looked like dead pixels. i know these controllers are being used at multiple events like this, but still - hopefully they are more resiliant than that, especially since I assume they will be north of $100 to replace

Since this is a Nintendo console I doubt a retail version will have these issues. My guess is that demo units are built from cheaper materials, not the finalized specs.

Daryl
08-06-12, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the write up. Someone over on CAG gave the <s>360</s>Classic Controller Pro high marks. Did you give that a try as well?

I only did briefly, my son saw it and he was like "is this an XBox controller?" :lol:
I prefer large controllers because I have large hands, so it seemed right up my alley. It was just like using a 360 controller.

Since this is a Nintendo console I doubt a retail version will have these issues. My guess is that demo units are built from cheaper materials, not the finalized specs.
good point. I'm surprised they didn't swap out the one controller - the pink blob was pretty obvious.

atxbomber
08-06-12, 10:42 PM
I'm going to the Austin one next week. How was the crowd?

stingermck
08-07-12, 09:24 AM
Possible box art leaked by Amazon CA

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/518HNvfNIOL.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61HBw5WJ2FL.jpg

Aside from the box art, Nintendo has not officially announced a release date for the Wii U yet but Avengers: Battle for Earth is listed as November 20, Just Dance 4 is November 15 and Assassin's Creed III is October 30.

Gizmo
08-07-12, 10:57 AM
I can really see next generation (for me) being a 3DS and Wii U with a possibility of a new Xbox whatever. I'm just not into "hardcore" games like I used to be and the Wii U (with tablet) is doing some pretty interesting things. Unlike the Wii, I can't see third parties ignoring it since we have the Pro Controller which is essentially a 360 controller. Should make things easier for a port.

I'm sure I'm the minority, but I just don't have the time like I used to.

Drexl
08-07-12, 11:13 AM
I can really see next generation (for me) being a 3DS and Wii U with a possibility of a new Xbox whatever. I'm just not into "hardcore" games like I used to be and the Wii U (with tablet) is doing some pretty interesting things. Unlike the Wii, I can't see third parties ignoring it since we have the Pro Controller which is essentially a 360 controller. Should make things easier for a port.

I'm sure I'm the minority, but I just don't have the time like I used to.

I think the third party support will depend in part on how powerful the MS and Sony systems are. The Wii had a "classic" controller after all, and that didn't really help. The real problem, IMHO, was that they were making games that pushed the hardware and couldn't be done on the Wii without serious compromises or being redesigned from the ground up. If the Wii U also ends up being technically behind, this scenario could play out all over again.

And of course, it will also depend on how well the games actually sell on the console. As the Gamecube demonstrated, they can have the hardware on par with the competition, but if they don't attract the right market, the third parties won't stay on board.

RichC2
08-07-12, 11:20 AM
I have no time anymore either, which is why games on the Xbox Store and PSN Stores have won a majority of my gaming time.

I'm interested in this because I'm always a gadget geek, but how to put this without unintentional innuendo...

"I think the Wii left a bad taste in my mouth."

Michael Corvin
08-07-12, 11:31 AM
I think the third party support will depend in part on how powerful the MS and Sony systems are. The Wii had a "classic" controller after all, and that didn't really help. The real problem, IMHO, was that they were making games that pushed the hardware and couldn't be done on the Wii without serious compromises or being redesigned from the ground up. If the Wii U also ends up being technically behind, this scenario could play out all over again.

And of course, it will also depend on how well the games actually sell on the console. As the Gamecube demonstrated, they can have the hardware on par with the competition, but if they don't attract the right market, the third parties won't stay on board.

The classic controller wasn't bundled though making it hard to support. Hell Metroid: Other M should have been a classic controller game(and would have been better for it) but Nintendo wouldn't even attempt that. It limits the audience.

Nintendo is in this weird place where the core crowd still loves Nintendo brand games, but they're never going have a Nintendo console be the primary console in a core gamer's life. The core crowd wants the latest and greatest and like you said, if the 360 successor or PS4 makes a giant leap frog over the WiiU, then the WiiU is essentially a Dreamcast. Slightly better than current consoles and a good distraction for a year until it's outdated by the competition.

Also, online communities are already up and people have chosen. Why go to a new console when you already have friends & communities on Live or PSN? The pool of players for any given game(solid port or not) will dwarf the community on WiiU. Nintendo absolutely dropped the ball on the Wii by just doing the bare minimum for online play and I think it'll hurt them in the long run. I just cannot see the WiiU drawing the same numbers of Call of Duty players as the other 2 consoles. It just won't happen.

slop101
08-07-12, 11:57 AM
I read that they'll allow you to transfer your Virtual Console stuff from your Wii to the U. Which is nice, since the VC stuff I have is the main reason I've been holding on to my Wii. Heh... "holding on to my wii" - never gets old.

Gizmo
08-08-12, 12:13 AM

Classic Controller wasn't really setup to be "hardcore". Mainly just VC-compatible. The "new" controller is clearing letting third parties know they have a 360-like controller for easy porting (if they wish).

My Other Self
08-08-12, 12:29 AM
If that Amazon cover art is accurate, it looks like they're mimicking the GameCube cover art design with the swoosh on the top. I hope that isn't a sign.

Daryl
08-10-12, 08:45 PM
I'm going to the Austin one next week. How was the crowd?
My session had maybe around 20-25 people.

Gizmo
08-11-12, 02:38 PM
Halfway through Batman Arkham Asylum on 360...and now holding out for City on the Wii U. Gonna be a long wait. Pretty sure it's going to be a launch title (why delay it any further?) which means I'm gonna drop around $500 or so on everything (assuming the U is $300).

glassdragon
08-13-12, 06:12 PM
Rumor from a Gamestop internal memo that Wii U will release on black friday

http://www.gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=183154

Yeah, this won't be a clusterfuck rotfl

Drexl
08-13-12, 06:23 PM
That should be fun.

BTW, I think it's about time to make this thread Nintendo's sticky one and un-stick the Wii thread.

mhg83
08-13-12, 06:33 PM

That's a great move by Nintendo. Releasing your product on Black Friday pretty much guarantees a system sell out.

I wonder if the pre-order will still be there if you go the next day to pick up? I'd imagine the rush of Black Friday there'll be a few stores that will fuck up and sell your system.

Deftones
08-13-12, 07:01 PM

Holy shit. I might go to Best Buy/Toys 'R Us on Black Friday, not to buy anything, but just to watch the spectacle. :lol:

pinata242
08-13-12, 09:02 PM
That's a great move by Nintendo. Releasing your product on Black Friday pretty much guarantees a system sell out.

When was the last system launch that didn't sell out? Even the WiiU would normally.

Gizmo
08-13-12, 10:34 PM
There's sell out and sell out.

The PS3 and Wii launched the same week and the PS3 was available by January (easily). The Wii was hard to find for what seemed like years.

I'm betting on the 11th or 18th. Probably the 11th.

Drexl
08-13-12, 10:50 PM
I don't think the Wii U will be as popular. The hardcore gamers won't embrace it, as some of them were burned by the Wii and most will wait for the next MS or Sony console. For the casuals, the innovation this time isn't as novel as motion control. Plus, it doesn't look like it will have the attraction of being "the cheap system," since it won't be alongside more expensive competition.

Not that it won't sell out at launch, but I don't see it being impossible to get for months.

Gizmo
08-13-12, 10:51 PM
I don't think the Wii U will be as popular. The hardcore gamers won't embrace it, as some of them were burned by the Wii and most will wait for the next MS or Sony console. For the casuals, the innovation this time isn't as novel as motion control. Plus, it doesn't look like it will have the attraction of being "the cheap system," since it won't be alongside more expensive competition.

Not that it won't sell out at launch, but I don't see it being impossible to get for months.

Yeah, it'll be popular. Everyone said that about the DS and it was popular. The 3DS (to an extent) was popular. The Wii U is likely going to be selling out through all of 2012. Any console would during the holiday Season.

I know I'll be pre-ordering a few as soon as they pop up (For me, boss kids etc.)

Michael Corvin
08-16-12, 09:42 PM
Looks like Rayman Legends is a WiiU exclusive (http://www.joystiq.com/2012/08/15/rayman-legends-is-a-wii-u-exclusive/).

That's a bummer. Origins is one of my favorite games of last year.

atxbomber
08-16-12, 10:22 PM
The wife and I just got back from our Wii U experience, and had a really fun time. This post might be a little scatterbrained, but here you go:

The tablet is nice and light, and fit perfectly in my hands. I didn't come across and defective units and we never had to re-sync them to the Wii U anytime that I played or watched others play, so, hopefully that means those won't be issues with the retail units at launch (I know that was a concern from the Atlanta show).

Super Mario Wii-U was excellent. The "assistant mode" was fun, and there's a lot of potential for trolling and fun if you've got a full group playing.

Nintendo Land and Game & Wario were fun with full groups, but I don't think they'll be as good if you're only playing with one other person or alone. There was only four mini games available for Wario, but the girl running the demo said there'd be "at least 10 more" when the game hits retail.

Pikmin 3 was a blast to play and looked amazing.

Batman Arkham City was pretty fun and looked great. Definitely a learning curve though as there's a lot of switching back and forth from the tablet screen to the TV. The guy running the demo was pretty hands on and wasn't really giving us a chance to "feel things out" though, so that might have contributed to the learning curve. That said, it's pretty fun controlling batarangs with the tablet, and the graphics on the tablet screen are very, very good. If I didn't already own the game, I'd definitely be placing a preorder for it right now.

I didn't get a chance to play Zombie U, but spent some time watching, and it looks great. There were a few moments where the people playing literally jumped because of a zombie jumping out of the darkness to attack them. I can imagine playing that in a more controlled environment is going to be really intense. Wish I'd gotten a chance to get hands on, but both demo stations were swamped. I definitely would say it was the favorite or the crowd.

Didn't spend anytime with the music games or Wii Fit U. From just walking by it and taking a quick glance, Wii Fit U looked like more of what was on the Wii.

The 3DS XL was there and it is HUGE. I brought my 3DS with me and was able to do a side by side comparison, and the it's ridiculous how much larger the XL is (especially the screens) compared to the original. They had New Super Mario Bros. 2 on it, and that is of course a blast.

They also had Ninja Gaiden 3, Rayman, and Project P-100, but I didn't spend much time looking at those, and didn't get to play any of them. They all looked great, and I really wish I'd noticed P-100 so I could have given that one a spin (it was in the corner near one of the Zombie U machines, so I honestly didn't see it until it was towards the end).

They didn't have Scibblenauts from what I could tell, which was disappointing -- and I didn't see the pro controller anywhere, though now I'm thinking it was probably hooked up to Ninja Gaiden. But otherwise, it did it's job and sold me on the system -- depending on price of course. Even my wife, who's a gamer but never really been into Nintendo, wants Mario and Pikmim, to quote: "RIGHT NOW", and really liked Batman.

tlwizard
09-04-12, 04:56 PM
There's a press conference in NYC on the 13th, which should reveal all the final details of the Wii U.

Also, a distributor listing just leaked, stating that the Wii U would be released on November 11 and have three different SKUs - one for 250, one for 300, and the last for 350.

Drexl
09-04-12, 05:03 PM
I wonder what the difference(s) will be with the SKUs. I'd like one without the tablet controller, but I figure they'll insist on making it stock to be sure it gets supported.

pinata242
09-04-12, 05:05 PM
$250 - Console + 1 controller
$300 - Console + 2 controllers
$350 - Console + 2 controllers + Wii VC Migration Kit (Bundle Exclusive)

tlwizard
09-04-12, 05:27 PM
Here are the 3 SKUs listed:

WIIU SYSTEM - GM - 11/11/12 $249.99
WIIU SYSTEM W/ - GM - 11/11/12 $299.99
WIIU SYSTEM 349 W/ - GM - 11/11/12 $349.99

And here's the link to the article: http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/04/report-new-potential-wii-u-release-details-appear

Drexl
09-04-12, 05:48 PM
I don't see much point in doing a version that's only $50 more with an extra controller that would probably cost a lot more separately. How would Nintendo benefit from that? Are they afraid that people won't buy a Wii U at all when they find out what it would cost to add a second controller to the basic unit?

I'm thinking you have to get the $349 version for 2 controllers, while the $299 version has a game or something. I could see them heavily discounting or even giving away the game, but not the controller.

Matthew Chmiel
09-04-12, 05:56 PM
Jesus Christ. That first two weeks of November are going to bankrupt most console gamers. Two of the most anticipated games of the year come out within a week of each other (Black Ops II and Halo 4) and now we have a console launch in the middle of it all.

... well thankfully my pre-orders of Black Ops II and Halo 4 have already been paid for. :)

I'm sure I'm going to be springing for the most expensive unit. It's too bad my wife still uses her Wii daily to do workouts every day or I'd be selling it off now.

DVDChris
09-04-12, 06:59 PM
Wow, you guys are convinced on the Wii U already? I'm still waiting to see what the "must-have" game is going to be. Everything I've seen so far seem like tech demos.

Michael Corvin
09-04-12, 09:46 PM
Yeah, I want Pikmin and Rayman but not for roughly $500.

Mazje
09-05-12, 11:54 AM
$250 - Console + 1 controller
$300 - Console + 2 controllers
$350 - Console + 2 controllers + Wii VC Migration Kit (Bundle Exclusive)

Are you suggesting they're going to charge us $50 to transfer our Virtual Console content over to the new system?